Karmaterror

Banning for inappropriate behaviour...

As im sure the rest of you have, iv been browsing round the games during the sales trying to find something good. I like to read the reviews, normally more than just the first page to try and get as many points of view on the game as poss.

While I was reading the reviews for some sort of airship game I stumbled on this one (very racist) review that I wont repeat word for word. But the gist of it was the guy gave his ship an EXTREEMLY racist name. He seemed a bit pissed off that he had actually received a one week ban from the game for doing so. I on the other hand was very happy to hear that.

It made me think, here on the forums people can be given temporary bans for insulting others, beng racist ect. Now wouldn't it be nice if the people that use racist chat ingame could receive these type of week long bans form dayz. Some sort of system to monitor global chat for overly racist/offensive terms could issue a 3 strikes then week ban.

Now I do understand a lot of this is the server owners responsability, and they should police there community as they see fit. But that dosent mean that the devs cant try do do something about it aswell. Could you guys get behind  some sort of filter that could ban on the use of racist terms. Or do you think its our responsibility to respond to that sort of issue?

I don't think that'd be a good idea.  For SA there is no global chat.  Also the majority of the chat is done via voice.

Now if it's disruptive (someone just screaming slurs over and over for no reason other than to be a dick) then a kick or ban from that server is in order.  That'd be harder with public servers but within the rights of private shards.

This is an 18+ game, so i sincerely hope you will be able to insult other people.

Bullying or being racist is a whole other ball park though. Or would you rather someone

restrain you while saying: "Is it ok i put this cuffs on ya"? Is it to tight, shall i lube it some?"

"Is it ok i force feed you while saying that you are a baaaad boy or would i hurt your feelings?"

"Can i put this probe up your [REDACTED] gently? :)

Edited by StayAlive

why should you care if someone wants to be racist in-game? who cares. let them say racist things and be a horrible person. No need to try to go all nanny-state on voice chat. Not to mention that simply opens up all kinds of potential issue for misunderstandings and unsubstantiated bans.

People should always have the right to be racist a-holes in local chat. If you don't like it get your own server and ban anyone you catch doing it, I guess.

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 2

I don't think that'd be a good idea.  For SA there is no global chat.  Also the majority of the chat is done via voice.

Now if it's disruptive (someone just screaming slurs over and over for no reason other than to be a dick) then a kick or ban from that server is in order.  That'd be harder with public servers but within the rights of private shards.

They could monitor local chats, and/or deal with voice racism on a case by case with evidence needed. Kinda like hackers now.

This is an 18+ game, so i sincerely hope you will be able to insult other people.

Bullying or being racist is a whole other ball park though. Or would you rather someone

restrain you while saying: "Is it ok i put this cuffs on ya"? Is it to tight, shall i lube it some?"

"Is it ok i force feed you while saying that you are a baaaad boy or would i hurt your feelings?"

"Can i put this probe up your [REDACTED] gently? :)

Not saying everyone should be nice all the time, insult me or whatever while cuffing me but as you say, racism is something different. That would be the main thing they could combat.

why should you care if someone wants to be racist in-game? who cares. let them say racist things and be a horrible person. No need to try to go all nanny-state on voice chat. Not to mention that simply opens up all kinds of potential issue for misunderstandings and unsubstantiated bans.

People should always have the right to be racist a-holes in local chat. If you don't like it get your own server and ban anyone you catch doing it, I guess.

IMO people should not have the right to be racist A-holes anywhere. Start doing it in a pub (and if you don't get lynched) you will be thrown out or reported to the police. Do it at work you will be fired. Games become this no mans land where people seem to think they can say whatever they like. I think its about time the companies started policing things like racism themselves. Sending a clear message that just as in any other situation in your life, racism will not be tolerated.

I do understand that its a bit harder because they aren't official servers. But for the pub hive at least id like to see Bohimia follow the other devs approach of stomping it out where necessary :)

PS should also apply to screen names

They could monitor local chats, and/or deal with voice racism on a case by case with evidence needed. Kinda like hackers now.

Not saying everyone should be nice all the time, insult me or whatever while cuffing me but as you say, racism is something different. That would be the main thing they could combat.

IMO people should not have the right to be racist A-holes anywhere. Start doing it in a pub (and if you don't get lynched) you will be thrown out or reported to the police. Do it at work you will be fired. Games become this no mans land where people seem to think they can say whatever they like. I think its about time the companies started policing things like racism themselves. Sending a clear message that just as in any other situation in your life, racism will not be tolerated.

I do understand that its a bit harder because they aren't official servers. But for the pub hive at least id like to see Bohimia follow the other devs approach of stomping it out where necessary :)

Seriously. Who cares? People who act like that are just sad individuals and I pity them. Besides, they have a right to be racist a-holes and say whatever they want. And people have the right to ignore them. I guess you have the right to punch them in the face but that usually ends up with you in jail.

I guess I'm just for peoples' rights to a fault.

• Like 3

they have a right to be racist a-holes and say whatever they want.

That's just the point.....only in computer games.

Not in any other public situation would it be acceptable or tolerated.

Things have to change IMO

Why? That's just stupid. It's a game where you slash people over the head with an axe with the intention of killing them and later on rape their corpse and feast on their meat. In what country does one get reported to the police for being a racist btw?

Like anything in this game is.

• Like 1

Why? That's just stupid. It's a game where you slash people over the head with an axe with the intention of killing them and later on rape their corpse and feast on their meat. In what country does one get reported to the police for being a racist btw?

See this illustrates my point perfectly.

Rape will never be in the game because its a line the devs WILL NOT cross.

Racisim is just as unacceptable, and they should take measures to stop it. Like the devs I mentioned in the OP

PS you can spend a night in the cells in the UK for using racial slurs....im sure something similar applies in other countries no?

That's just the point.....only in computer games.

Things have to change IMO

...people have the right to do that in public, too. Met and overhearx quite a few racist a-hole at the bars. And you know what? It does not affect my night at all. Nor does it affect the people around them. You know why? We ignore them. A racist person is more than likely never going to change, so why bother? Let their ignorance fall upon deaf ears and let them live their shallow bitter lives. I choose to not let them get to me, and y'know what? I'm still alive.

Racist people are going to be racist. There will always be racism and racist people. Policing them will not change that. Nothing will change that. Let them be.

Racisim is just as unacceptable, and they should take measures to stop it. Like the devs I mentioned in the OP

PS you can spend a night in the cells in the UK for using racial slurs....im sure something similar applies in other countries no?

I've gotten raped many times with handcuffs and that big green vegetable. They even explained how they raped me. Racism isn't more acceptable then cannibalism imho. And i don't fucking care if someone would call me a cracker or whatever, because i already by then know they are retarded. Ok, in my country you can't get jailed for that but you can get beat up and that's how one learns not to be an asshole. Do you get jailed for being sexist or an asshole in general too? Thats pretty sick..

Edited by aasand
  • Like 2

Meh, it happens. 

I recall a server I joined once here on DayZ and the welcome message was "All niggers must die".

Some people are just like that. 

Gosh you remind me of Eric Holder lol.

It's not the Devs job to police the servers and make sure people aren't being racist. This is an absurd and unrealistic idea, IMO. I think you are letting your disdain for racist people lapse your judgment. No, racism is not okay. No, it is not your job to make someone not racist, nor anyone else. Each person is responsible for their own actions.

• Like 1

I always have a black character. It's harder to spot. And i've never been called a nigger. And if they did, then so what? Im white..

• Like 1

I always have a black character. It's harder to spot. And i've never been called a nigger. And if they did, then so what? Im white..

hahaha I use the black guy for the EXACT same reason

• Like 2

If someone is being an ass, report them to the server admins. No need to get a global chat police.

• Like 1

Anyone caught being racially abusive (showing real hate, not the occasional joke) should have to take a racial sensitvity test in order to get back in the game. That would be hilarious.

Anyone caught being racially abusive (showing real hate, not the occasional joke) should have to take a racial sensitvity test in order to get back in the game. That would be hilarious.

I think the day and age we live in is racially hypercharged and overly sensitive enough as it is lol. No need for that xD

• Like 1

Gosh you remind me of Eric Holder lol.

It's not the Devs job to police the servers and make sure people aren't being racist. This is an absurd and unrealistic idea, IMO. I think you are letting your disdain for racist people lapse your judgment. No, racism is not okay. No, it is not your job to make someone not racist, nor anyone else. Each person is responsible for their own actions.

Well this absurd and unrealist idea.....is already implemented in another game..... so its neither of those really ;)

Meh, it happens. 

I recall a server I joined once here on DayZ and the welcome message was "All niggers must die".

Some people are just like that. 

That's the kind of shit im on about!

That needs some basic level of policing IMO

How hard is it really for GSP's to screen welcome messages....share the load....they do server messages and devs do in game chat....just something that says "we do not condone racism and will do something to try and combat it in the public environment we provide"

Well this absurd and unrealist idea.....is already implemented in another game..... so its neither of those really ;)

And what game actively has NSA style voice chat monitors for a game such as DayZ that will take action against players being racist/inappropriate/whatever?

That's the kind of shit im on about!

That needs some basic level of policing IMO

How hard is it really for GSP's to screen welcome messages....share the load....they do server messages and devs do in game chat....just something that says "we do not condone racism and will do something to try and combat it in the public environment we provide"

Simple solution: don't play on their servers. Who cares what their MOTD is. If it offends you that much, report it. 

Edited by DeatHTaX

And what game actively has NSA style voice chat monitors for a game such as DayZ that will take action against players being racist/inappropriate/whatever?

Its some airship game on steam....guy names his ship something very racist, then was being racist in chat.... so they gave him a weeks ban.

Now racist player names, words in chat ect is a good place to start, on some basic level, of combatting the problem.

And NSA....come on....server chat logs to notepad....keyword search. Im sure someone could make an automated program to perform that job say each time a server is restarted or something. Then strikes/bans issued.

I really just hate how people think its OK to spew racist garbage in game environments....where they wouldn't anywhere else in there day to day lifes. Why not send a message that "you know what.....just like everywhere else.....its not ok here either"

Edited by Karmaterror

Its some airship game on steam....guy names his ship something very racist, then was being racist in chat.... so they gave him a weeks ban.

Now racist player names, words in chat ect is a good place to start, on some basic level, of combatting the problem.

And NSA....come on....server chat logs to notepad....keyword search. Im sure someone could make an automated program to perform that job say each time a server is restarted or something. Then strikes/bans issued.

I really just hate how people think its OK to spew racist garbage in game environments....where they wouldn't anywhere else in there day to day lifes. Why not send a message that "you know what.....just like everywhere else.....its not ok here either"

I've never type-chatted with anyone inside the game. Voice only. How are you going to monitor that?

If you find someone in-game that is saying something racist or over-the-line, there's a function where you can check their name ( Check Pulse. ) and then find their name on the player list ( Press P ) then below their info, there is a [Mute] button, press it, you will now no longer hear them in-game.

I honestly don't get why people get so bent out of shape about how someone acts or what someone says in a video game, I mean, ignore it, if they want to be ignorant or mean spirited, then that's them, be the bigger person and move on, no reason to allow someone to ruin your gaming experience by something you can just ignore completely.

You can also lower VOIP volume.

But as others have said, this is an 18+ game, there is and will be very vulgar/racist remarks made over voice chat, because in the apocalypse, respect and being nice is long past dead.

• Like 1