aquamonkey

What has been your biggest "I'm done" moment?

Just curious to hear your guys moments where you've almost dropped the game for a bit I don't really have one myself.

Just about any time I have gotta killed by a hacking 12 year old.

That moment when it hits you. You die and all you hear over the comms in the voice of a pre pubescent scoundrel laughing their head off with that little shrill laugh of theirs.

Insta FUUUUUU moment

• Like 1

When I spent hours trying to find my friend out in the countryside, and when we finally get close, and I'm watching him from the woods, I see him get shot down....

1. Hackers

2. Servers crashing

3. Client crashing

= Time to take a break until they fix it.. Which is sad, 'cause I love this game.. On the plus side, I'm getting much better at ArmA III and CS:GO!

• Like 3

Whenever I'm trying to play and I get disconnected, so I try a different server, and wait for the spawn-in timer when switching servers, just to get kicked again for connection issues. After it happening a multitude of times I'm just about done with DayZ for the day.

Whenever I'm trying to play and I get disconnected, so I try a different server, and wait for the spawn-in timer when switching servers, just to get kicked again for connection issues. After it happening a multitude of times I'm just about done with DayZ for the day.

Oh yeah this has happened to be before, I feel your pain.

Two days ago. I was pretty much fully decked out in gear -- all the essentials plus some good stuff: full TTSKO, gorka w/ visor, green balcavara, AKM w/ 2 drum mags + suppressor and scope, range finder, high cap vest... the list goes on. Anyways I run up the stairs in one of the military style prison buildings and decide to check the loot pile behind the stairwell. I'm standing there for about 5 seconds when suddenly my screen shakes and I read "My leg is extremely painful". I check my desync, it's zero. About two seconds later, my screen goes black and I read "You are dead". Nobody was on the server at the time, I wasn't lagging (at least noticeably) in any way, and as I said my desync was zero. I have no explanation for what happened other than an entirely random death, but man that was rough. 

• Like 1

Loot rollbacks.

I'm not particularly attached to my gear, I shed that part of me awhile ago after playing the game for the longest time but it is kinda sad to see all that hard earned progress go to waste. I'll probably stop playing in the new year because of the planned loot rollbacks, mostly because christmas gave me a Teddy Bear which I named Mr. Snuggles.

He even has a note inside him that says "This is my teddy, Mr. Snuggles. He likes warm hugs and keeps monsters away at night, take good care of him for me."

• Like 2

I've never cared for my gear, really.

You just never had a Mr. Snuggles :/

• Like 1

General gun mechanics and handling combined with the insane movement speed makes me take breaks.

• Like 2

Storing 200 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo and 300 rounds of 5.45 ammo inside of two pristine ammo boxes which took me weeks to find while surviving multiple hacker encounters, only to have it all deleted when a server crashed while I was storing it in my tent.  Came back and was like "whatever, i'll loot vybor again."  Get to vybor, game crashes, some guy shoots my lagging body.  Lose AKM with 2 drum mags, AK74 with 3 mags and 2 pristine protector cases with 2 fully stocked medkits inside.  That character was alive for 2 weeks and I lost it all without dying in an epic gunfight.  Fuck this game.  Now I just roam around spamming "give me bacon" over the mic, give a fuck factor is zero now. 

• Like 2

For me it was definitely after I had spent nearly an hour with this rolling street by street gunfight with some bandits in Chernogorsk, and the server crashed just as I killed the last of them. When it came back online, it had rolled back to where I was standing out in the open - and they shot me as I loaded in. 

I could hear their mocking laughter as I bled out in the street, and they were all -GIRLS-.

I definitely rage quit that night.
Of course I was back at it in the morning, but yeah - Even developers have these moments. Especially considering we already spend most of our waking moments during the week working on it. So we're pretty close to it, as the saying goes. A break never hurts.

I have the same approach when I can't get past an area in a game - I just set the controller down, and walk away for a day or so.

• Like 10

when you happen to find 2 heli crashes right next to each other, you find an amphibia, you find 2 m4's 2 2double clips and a flash bang. things you have not had in a long time.you carry one in your hands for 40 minutes trying to reach a friend to give him one. somehow you lose one from some random item glitch. you make it to kamishovo and find a fully geared guy in the middle the road, m4 lying next to him, your like. oohh mint. run to get it. zombie comes. u think ok finish this Z beside the bush so im not on road. come back. body and gear of guy gone. your like WTF. somehow come across another guy with m4 which i pry from his dead hands, run to your friend. you get there. and server resets your like wtf. spawn back in. lost m4's. now you know how you go back like 2 minutes with a server reset, so you expect to be back running across same ground. no somehow it swaps you and your friends locations so when think you continue running to each other, you are actually running further away. finally give up and log.

What always wrecks it for me is letting bugs get to me and wanting to put it down for a bit. Example my 1st month of playing I died on a ladder then died simply walking through a door...which at the time were known bugs. I left for 3 weeks. Was not combat related or skill related. But lately I have been reading the change logs more often and the forums has also helped me avoid that type of stuff. I have not run into nearly as much as I used too. But there is nothing worse then doing every thing you can think of to keep your avatar alive, then to die of a something really stupid. I think allot of dayz sa is just knowing it is still a work and progress and knowing what things to look out for..Example with the recent patch the new truck crashes, also don't carry anything in your hands while entering the truck cause it might disappear into the either. Theres a few others. There petty but need to be noted.

I think its like 50% skill base and 50% knowing the engine mechanics....what works how it works and what does not if that makes since. What to avoid and what not to worry about.  

I normally when I try, live for a month sometimes more. So I will take a break after each longer life. Just to collect my thoughts...Its not really a quit for ever, I would say more of a break, nothing negative. 

Hackers.....I will knock on wood. I haven't seen that many, that I can 100% confirm, there out there, but I think much of the time its a easy excuse or a cop out more then anything for one to blame there short coming on. Now If you see one, tape it or screen shot it then make the claim. So Im not saying there not there, they are a problem, but a bit more rare then players make them out to be. I have really noticed this playing. You really have to watch your self, you can get hear a bang your dead and not even know were it came from. If a sniper shoots you from 600 to say 800 meters, you may not even hear the shot. Urban settings are the worst, you can be shot from any angle, the worst type of combat in dayz and in RL for that matter. What amazes me is players gravitate toward urban style pvp then wonder why they died....well go into it knowing that...its the worst.  Every single window every knuk and crany could have a player sitting there....is it really worth it? When you add lag to that stew, it makes it even worse. Even the best can easily be sent right back to coast in a urban CQB type setting. So yes sometimes you don't know what hit ya. This does not make it a hacker. I play on low pops, mid pops and high pops dosen't matter.. Really haven't seen that many.

Edited by CJFlint

Well, i almost rage quitted when i was trying to roleplay as a murderer.

I hid on some roof, noticed a fresh spawn and sprayed over 30 sks bullets

towards him. He was running around like a headless chicken and i failed

miserably to hit him even one god damn time! I was right about to stop

playing the game for the rest of that day, but then i started smiling a bit

and thought off karma.

Edited by StayAlive

Joined a server, saw a guy lying ontop of the Novi tower running circles like he's mad. I decide to visit him. On the way up i meet an armed dude, he points the gun at me and i kill him.

"you got kicked from the game"

I join another server, decide to enter the tower again. I come on top and see a sniper lying there.Killed him whilst he was in his tunnel mosin vision.

i join another server, start leaving the tower, i crash into a guy with m4 on his back on the way down. he starts pulling the weapon out, i get lucky and kill him first.

Made me ragequit for that nite.Never got kicked for a kill after, but that day really ruined my dayz experience as i thought this will become a standard practice by owners.For basicly defending myself (xept the mosin guy).

so i was "done".

for that night.

Edited by halp

The only time it's ever crossed my mind is when I was hankering to play with vehicles ... I took a break about two months ago and bought arma 3 for epoch / breaking point ... Man was that a waste of money (I don't play military games so I hardly play arma 3 although it is fun). , seeing as now I've totally abandoned epoch and breakingpoint because they are nothing close to the survival experience I thought they were.

I was so desperate to have vehicles and base building but I didn't realize how terribly balanced those games are and how little they have to do with survival :( ... Needless to say , i went back to dayz just a week after looking endlessly for just one car in breaking point (which is ridiculously unbalanced , not only are cars incredibly scarce for the map size, but the special car parts that one needs to maintain some of the better vehicles are all at military installations which are always being camped , even worse than NW airfield on a third person server in dayz !) , after finally finding it (my first truck) I was greatly disappointed by the game seeing as there was nothing else to do but pvp and clans just scour the map looking for cars and pvp so I was KOSed for it although they already Had a convoy including an apc :/ ...

Ya I will never take another break from dayz for another "survival game" lol because I have yet to find a game that lives up to the greatness that this game is ... If I do happen to play another video game it always ends up being an old classic , I'm playing a little dragon ball z budokai tenkaichi 2 ... Lol ridiculous name I know but great game for dragonball z fans :) .

Loading up a new patch to find the FPS had dropped.

I have a decent enough rig yet the game runs like a dog no matter the amount of tweaking I do, and at present I really am just running on the limit of what is an acceptable FPS if it comes to a fire fight. With each update there is the chance that the performance tips the balance either way.

It's when I load up a new update and find that I'm running sub 20 FPS in cities, and this has happened on several occasions in the past - less so these days, then I just give up and go play other games until the next update is released.

I rarely get upset while playing this game, but this one really got to me.  I had spawned in fresh in Svetlo and decided why not run immediately to the NEAF?  This was back when the hangers were taken out but the ATC was still there..  On the way I got lucky and found a mosin, some ammo for it, and a little food.  As I was making my way to he ATC I saw another player get gunned down in front of it.  It obviously came from inside the walls of the ATC.  I figured I was pretty much a fresh spawn so if I die whatever.  I ran up behind the large shed type building that was next to it and we started exchanging pleasantries.  Eventually I started running around the ATC to see where they could fire at me from.  They had M4s but were awful shots so I wasn't too worried.  I noticed that they had to expose themselves outside of the wall to shoot at me so I ran in front of the building again.  When one stepped out a little I got him right in the chest with the mosin.  His body fell half way out of the wall so I double tapped him in the head.  That's when I was transported to Vybor with what appeared to be the rest of the server.  I didn't get enough time to check how many other players were teleported because two seconds later a grenade fell on my head.

I normally can't grin big enough when I kill a scripter/cheater but after that I shutdown everything.  I mean everything in the house.  Only thing I turned on was a desk lamp and started to read.

• Like 1

2-3 weeks ago. Friday night, I had some friends over, we had some beers and around 3:00 - 3:30  o'clock we started talking about dayz and that none of us have ever found or driven the V3S. So I sat on my pc , my friends sat around me, with the intention to find that truck and drive it for a while. We looked on the internetz where it spawned, so we started looking. Ran around for like an hour and what seemed to us like ages without finding anything. So we decided lets serverhop. I logged out near the sheds in Stary. Hopped servers for like another hour again no luck. Time was around 5, 5 something in the morning, we were all getting sleepy and bored so I said   "This is it. Last server hop if we can't find it - fuck it ". 

I joined  a server 3 ppl with me on it. Stary was again empty ,but I could not give up so easily, so I decided to run to Kabanino, since it was the next closest possible spawn. I arrive at Kabanino and lol and behold the V3S was there. Sitting pretty in the middle of the agricultural compound. Me and my friends were like " HELLL YEAAHHH, THANK YOU GOD, FINALLY".

I immediately run to the truck , hands shaking from sleepiness, beer, excitement. Fumbled a little bit, cause I wanted to get in immediately but kept opening the hood or door and then..

ratatatatatata "You are dead".

Four days ago I had to put the game down for 3 days.  I was at the base just south of vybor.  Saw one dude while I was in barracks .  He opens fire I run out and kill a second one I did not know was there. Then start shooting and the orignal one.  Lag city I finally hit him and run back into barracks while he is outside lag catches up I am unconscious.  Apparently 2 other dudes came up and finished him off then as I awake kill me.  That was a good fight what happened next made me shutdown game and go read some news and take 3 days off.  I spawn in berezino here a v3s.  Find v3s see alot of dead bodies around it with some guy constantly firing off mosin.  All of a sudden as I am looking a guy pops right in front of me prone and shoots me with mosin.  I realize he was a hacker and inside my head not out loud (I have children) I am screaming mad.  So I turn game off and now I am just returning :D

Edited by huf757

You just never had a Mr. Snuggles :/

^

Also I misspoke, I won't stop playing the game entirely. Just for a little while.