threedogification

New renderer questions.

We will have a better looking game due to the fact that the new renderer will be able to use DX11 and that it will imply a better lookimg world lightning, dynamic shadows etc. etc. You could expect it to look better or pretty much the same as ARMA 3. We will get better frames per seccond pretty much instantly due to the fact that new renderer will be able to use your CPU a lot better and that a lot of rendering will go to the GPU and of course DX11 is much more so much more efficient at using thoae resources of yours. So yes the game will look better and yes you will have better frames per seccond and no the game looks will not change massively it will not look like cryengine or such. Why they are taking such a long time? Remember they are the men that created a mod for ARMA 2. So now instead of a mod they are creating the whole new game. So the tech is very limited compared to what ARMA 3 creators have had and it's not a god damn mod. Everything u had in a mod was already in a game more or less and this is what we have everything has to be created.

You can add SweetFx to DayZ Standalone already...

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2flqym/dayz_gfxfps_tweaking_guide_sweetfxefx/

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/379/

And if you just want a quick look at what it turns out like then view this...

http://imgur.com/a/xVfYy

Or a video (which is sadly only 720p and not that good and is presented in mumblevision)

(embedded video in spoiler)

If you do a search of the forum, which will clearly give Boneboys a bit of a stiffy (*waves at boneboys*), you'll find there have been several threads on here about SweetFx already.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/161380-realistic-sweetfx-lighting-preset-for-standalone/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/199286-sweetfx Edit: Sorry that one is the mod

Now, for me, getting the game running an acceptable framerate even if it looks like a pile of crap is the priority before I start tweaking it to look better.

Looking good,but the basic difference is that the photo was taken on Arma3 that runs on DX11 while DayZ SA runs on DX9.

While it's certainly an improvement to run Sweet Fx on the SA version,the results are greatly multiplied from a renderer platform like the one running Arma 3.

Now, for me, getting the game running an acceptable framerate even if it looks like a pile of crap is the priority before I start tweaking it to look better.

This is right on the money.

Ok, so I've seen a lot of posts about people asking about the new renderer so I thought I would add some questions.

1. Does anyone even know what the new renderer will look like?

R: It will look +- the same, do not confuse the engine and the art assets, lighting might be different, and perfs obviously.

2. Will the new renderer change the look of the game?

R: Same as #1

3. Will it look more realistic? (Such as cryengine)

R: Again, do not confuse art assets/art style and graphic engine.

4. Will it be better optimised, like the Arma 3 engine?

R: Hopefully.

• Like 1

Theres also alot of confusion that arma 3 engine is optimized compared to dayz that will bring salvation to 20fps in cities. It suffers the same multithreading issues as DayZ. Theres a huge thread going on on arma 3 forums related to low cpu utilization.

Theres also alot of confusion that arma 3 engine is optimized compared to dayz that will bring salvation to 20fps in cities. It suffers the same multithreading issues as DayZ. Theres a huge thread going on on arma 3 forums related to low cpu utilization.

Well Arma 3's only problem is AI and scripts. But in a good server with a good mission my minumum fps is around 45-50 and mostly above 50 capped to 60. And that's in towns. In DayZ going in to a town BOOM fps starts to drop a lot. It's either the renderer because in Arma 3 Chernarus+ runs great or it's something else. It would be nice to hear what it's because devs could try that very easily. Playing in an empty (no items, zombies and other players) Chernarus+ in DayZ would answer if it even is renderer problem.

Arma 3 is way more optimized than DayZ currently.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Well Arma 3's only problem is AI and scripts. But in a good server with a good mission my minumum fps is around 45-50 and mostly above 50 capped to 60. And that's in towns. In DayZ going in to a town BOOM fps starts to drop a lot. It's either the renderer because in Arma 3 Chernarus+ runs great or it's something else. It would be nice to hear what it's because devs could try that very easily. Playing in an empty (no items, zombies and other players) Chernarus+ in DayZ would answer if it even is renderer problem.

Arma 3 is way more optimized than DayZ currently.

That's the same for arma 2...Runs nice too there with good scripts... The problem is related to the engine not able to scale well among all threads, bottlenecking the CPU. Leaving too much headroom left on the GPU. arma 3 runs like shit too on my kewl 4.6ghz i7 780ti l33t rig no 60fps 24/7 :(

The solution is not to use arma 3 engine as it has the same flaws. But rewriting the render engine to scale well on multi core cpus to eliminate cpu bottleneck wich devs are probably doing.

Edited by smochi
  • Like 1

Hi.

I was trying to find a proper way to ask a question (maybe some of you guys can hint me on that) to the Devs.

The question is: What is the status with the new renderer and all the engine work?

I noticed it is a dodgy topic for quite while, but i think me and everyone else here deserve to know if Devs are even working on that and if there some problems (some tech talk would calm me down).

All i hear from Devs is "Maybe in future, maybe, maybe ,maybe...",

And i noticed there is no "Engine" subforum along side with Audio/Desigh and so on, not a good sight.

And i noticed there is no "Engine" subforum along side with Audio/Desigh and so on, not a good sight.

Please use the Search Tool..

Search Results

Your search for the term renderer returned 10 results

"If you have any specific topics, related to maintenance, updates, schedules, servers, private shards, engine, bugs, issues and more feel free to tell me in this topic, I`ll start the discussion on the ones you're interested in."

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/218961-what-this-is-about/#entry2199999

Thank you for adding those! I am really surprised at BI for that engine. But why does Dayz still look and run like it does? If they can make a really beautiful renderer like that or the arma 3 one, why can't they hurry up and make one for dayz?

Bohemia Interactive Studios (BIS), the company behind Arma, ToH, ToM, DayZ and others, have little to nothing to do with Bohemia Interactive Simulations (BISim), which is the developer of Virtual Battle Space (VBS).

Dont expect much from VBS to carry over to Arma or DayZ, if any at all. Two companies, two different clientele, to VERY different purposes and pricings.

As far as i understand it, the new renderer will both improve the overall detail quality of the game (DirectX11, more particle effects) but it will also enable BI to better decide what is rendered on the screen and more importantly, when its rendered!!!

Right now, the game is rendering everything, and i mean litterally everything, in front of your character. That is why cities have so much more lag, because that single building 2km away, on the other side of the city, with the axe inside of it, is being rendered 100%, along with every single building, item, player, zombie, etc. you can see.

The new renderer will enable BI to, more specifically, decide what is gonna be rendered, on the clients.

If you are looking at a city, from 3km distance, we dont need to see the items on the floor, that arent visible to us, through windows. We dont need to render the player behind the building, we just need the server to keep track of his position and then render him again after he becomes visible to the character.

Small stuff like that, will potentially increase FPS a lot, and the possibility of creating and implementing a new renderer, gives BI some big opportunities.

I say potentially because we have no idea of the specifics they are gonna do with a new renderer, so its all a guessing work, based on small bits of info, here and there.

• Like 1

You think city fps is bad now? Imagine if DayZ looked like that, EVERYWHERE would have horrible horrible frame issues.

Why? Engine is crap, thats why it runs clunky. What you were watching is a completely new engine.

Besides, look at far cry 3. Huge world. No clunkyness

As well as the new renderer, the game needs a texture overhaul. Some of the textures look ok, some look like they belong on a game from 15 years ago.

Thank you for adding those! I am really surprised at BI for that engine. But why does Dayz still look and run like it does? If they can make a really beautiful renderer like that or the arma 3 one, why can't they hurry up and make one for dayz?

BI didn't make that engine.  It was their sister company and they dont normally share tech.

Right now, the game is rendering everything, and i mean litterally everything, in front of your character.

What you're talking about (which the engine does a bad job of) is called occlusion culling.

Edited by Quackdot
  • Like 1

I'm sorry if this is a repetitive thread, I haven't found something in forum search.

Knowing renderer is coming soon (2 months as much according to 2015 roadmap) I'd like to read any word from devs or anyone who knows about advantages/disadvantages, graphics, optimization, lightning, possible bugs as well.

Also to know whether it will be either a first iteration or a complete release, etc.

thanks in advance

w9ii4k.jpg

Hail satan!

...or something. Not quite sure what you're going for there, but nice goat.

• Like 2

No official words as far as I know. Chris said something about it on his inviroment thred. But he only said that the work with it was going fine.

Think they're a bit hush hush about it so people won't get any fals hopes. And they have a right to do that thinking of those in the community who still thinks DayZ already should be finished (even though it's an alpha stage). They probably want to avoid people raging when it finally releases