Irish.

Once Vehicles become persistent.. a discussion

I hate to linkception, but since I cant copy paste without the text looking all "my eyes are bleeding" horrible, Ill just do the damned link-ception and send you to my OP on reddit.. if someone can tell me how to copy paste into dayz forums without those white bars of eye strain hell, Id love you for at least 3-4 minutes straight. 

Anyhow, on topic. Read the link, come back here to comment. Id love to hear what people think of a non-persistent vehicle world within dayz vs. the persistent one that is coming inevitably. I will also fix the dang link thing if someone can hook me up with a good copy/paste from reddit to here :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2pwqyn/once_vehicles_become_persistent_a_discussion/

I said from day one of playing SA, I would be quite happy with just a bike! Not a vehicle, just a bike!

I think having vehicles in persistant is too copy cat like of the mods! I quite enjoy spending the time running accross the map to get fully geared! I think if a car was always around, it would take the fun out of it! That's just imo though ;)

• Like 1

I can see the headlines now...

PEOPLE IN HOARDING STUFF SHOCKER!

This was always going to happen, and to an extent already happens. You either have no vehicles at all or accept that people will hoard them, there is no in between.

• Like 1

Maybe we will need vehicles to transport building materials. Maybe there won't be clans that hoard all cars on server. And if there are assholes like that, they can't be online 24-7.

In my opinion, if you can manage to hoard a bunch of vehicles, props to you. Especially once they're not ready to go as soon as you find them.

This was always going to happen, and to an extent already happens. You either have no vehicles at all or accept that people will hoard them, there is no in between.

Actually someone brought up maybe bikes could be non-persistent, so they respawn randomly around the map, houses, etc.. Which would be in between, and would be a great idea in my opinion. 

See, its a discussion.. meaning add to it. ;)

(just saying I dont like this idea is not a discussion.. at all.)

Edited by lrish

Absolutely hate this idea sorry. As long as the "mechanics" (no pun intended ok maybe a little) it should be a hard task to get a vehicle up and running and the reward is in itself. To take that away is ridiculous. 4hr restarts and it takes you 3hrs 55 minutes to get a vehicle going only to have despawn after 5 mins. FUCK THAT!

Hoarding is a huge part of the game

if someone can tell me how to copy paste into dayz forums without those white bars of eye strain hell, Id love you for at least 3-4 minutes straight. 

If you are using Chrome you can just right click > paste as plain text, other browsers might have something similar. Alternatively you can paste it into notepad first, then copy from notepad and paste it here.

if, when persistence is in and working, i find a dirt bike, i would like to take it back to my little camp ad keep it. i shall name it Arthur, and really don't want it to leave me every 4 hours. i think that the idea is plausible, but really, no one is going to spend ages fixing a vehicle if it is going to disappear in 15 minutes.

For me they have to persist. Long term survival is my goal when  playing and vehicles help towards that with transport and storage. If I loose it on a restart I would rapidly stop using them for the effort/reward ratio. I don't really mind hoarders keeping it all somewhere asthey can save mea lot of work as a lone wolf.  

Instead of ferrying parts (hat I cant carry all of) back and forth id much rather head off into the woods and start camp hunting for a fully fixed car, maybe even some tents to load it up from. Then if im feeling mean destroy the rest (usually don't do that hehe). Also its much better to find a tent with a pick of weps and ammo than have to loot it all yourself. So even for us lone wolfs hording can be a plus.

The pushbike.....meh I want it persistent....but for completely selfish reasons. Its my fave form of transport in the mod. Quiet, good offroad, no refuelling and by far the best to hide. You could hide a bike in a tree by cherno and it would still be there after a good looting session on a high pop....try that with a truck and see if its still there lol

When I'd play in a group of six or so in the mod we'd either have no helicopter or all of them. When you have one vehicle, it's extremely easy to have a monopoly once you get the mobility of one.

When I'd play in a group of six or so in the mod we'd either have no helicopter or all of them. When you have one vehicle, it's extremely easy to have a monopoly once you get the mobility of one.

Still blows my mind that they removed AS50's from the mod with this kind of thing happening, heh.

Derp, lets remove the only decent counter to helicopters, l0l! That'll show 'em. Show us what exactly? That helicopters are op? We are well aware of that, thanks. The LAW or whatever wasn't even working properly and they still decided to do that. ?? -_- Confoosed.

I almost think that the AS50's were removed because they were too prevelant due to hackers. They were hella rare by legitimate means. Even on the Lingor map with military bunkers everywhere they were difficult to find, not even including ammo for it.

Edited by bonesnap

Of course it will, and as a lone wolf player I find it annoying that people hoard stuff. However I can't think of a suitable mechanic in order to stop that, other than limiting the items on a server (which they have) and even then all that does is make the hoarding worse in many cases.

I think we would just need to get used to the idea that clans will hoard items, and it's up to other clans to "liberate" them.

As for helicopters, I personally don't want them in the game, they are silly and massively overpowered in comparison to every other item in the game.

All persistence errthang Irish.

if someone can tell me how to copy paste into dayz forums without those white bars of eye strain hell, Id love you for at least 3-4 minutes straight. 

Copy & paste to a text document then copy & paste again to DayZ forum or highlight all text & change to default settings.

For the record, 1 minute is all I need.

• Like 1

I want my vehicle to be where I left it.

I want my gear to be where I left it.

I want my body to be where I died 5 months later.

I want that BOAR I SHOT AT...TO BE THERE A YEAR AFTER I KILLED IT!

I want EVERYTHING persistent. I MUST HAVE IT! IT AAAAAALLL MUST BE PERSISTENT!

post-7534-Maniacal-Laugh-GIFs-n314.gif

But seriously, I really want vehicles persistent 

• Like 1

I like the idea of non-persistent bikes, but I think they should be persistent like all other loot in the game.  They should "degrade" over time before being removed from the world so a new one can spawn.  The bike quota should be relatively high, so you should be able to find one easier than the current V3S implementation.  They could still use some work sometimes, maybe grease, a new chain, or air for tires.  Nothing that should take too long to get going.  It would be pretty frustrating to be riding between towns during a server reset, and log back in on foot without the bike anywhere in sight.

• Like 1