Dagwood

Most versatile weapon combination?

I'm currently running a Mosin+LRS+Compensator as my primary, with an AK74U as my secondary. I have 2 speed loaders for the Mosin and a total of 4 mags for the AK.

Normally I run with some kind of assault rifle; preferably with long range optics. But when I got both of these weapons in the same military compound, I couldn't resist. While I prefer the aesthetics of the M4 and the AK74 over both of my weapons, I decided that I should try out this weapon combo and see if it is as deadly as one would think. I mean, it's the best of both worlds right? Only sniper rifle in game with arguably the best SMG in game.

Here is my dilemma: I never use my Mosin! Nearly every engagement is within 100-200 meters and the AK74U is the only weapon I am comfortable killing with. Part of me wants to ditch both and go with the much sexier AK74 (that wood finish) and grab some binocs. Another part of me feels that if I just adjust my playstyle, I will get more utility out of the Mosin. Note, I pretty much stick to the west side of the map and attempt to hunt or be hunted by other geared players.

Is anyone else using this weapon combo? Does anyone have any tips on using the Mosin when your target never stops moving? What weapon combos have you found to be more effective in the field? Any and all discussion is appreciated.

• Like 1

Believe it or not.. it doesnt really matter much if you have a long range sight/range of weapon and the ability to defend well up close. 

1 AK or M4 does it if you remove the scope once you leave the tree line or get inside a building. 

Or 1 Mosin + something else.. as simple as a derringer will do. I prefer a sawed off shotgun in my pack/vest or if Im lucky an FNX with at least 2 mags. Those things kill quick and fire fast.. Ive held off entire groups by myself with them before. 

Of course the sexy AKu combo is always great.. but I hate carrying that much gear these days. I prefer to travel light and die fast. :P

Edited by lrish
  • Like 5

It's not what's in your arsenal, but how good you are with it. I've seen guys with shotguns tear up fully geared M4 users like it was no thang. 

• Like 3

It is quite a lot of gear. But I'm getting by with a SPOSN and high cap vest with room to spare. In your experience, is the CR75's performance comparable to the FNX? I don't trust the 9mm in dayz at the moment, and unfortunately, it's the only high capacity pistol that spawns outside of heli crashes.

Personally I prefer the MP133.  The shells pack a punch even at a distance.  I don't normally carry a sidearm, but lately I've been toying with the magnum. It's pretty comfortable to use and doesn't require a magazine, like the shotgun.  I don't spend much time in military areas, so I don't bother with magazines and their compatibility. 

Most of my DayZ time has been spent with a Mosin Nagant and a Sawed Off, which are both very deadly at their respective ranges.

• Like 2

Personally I prefer the MP133.  The shells pack a punch even at a distance.  I don't normally carry a sidearm, but lately I've been toying with the magnum. It's pretty comfortable to use and doesn't require a magazine, like the shotgun.  I don't spend much time in military areas, so I don't bother with magazines and their compatibility. 

That's my current hardcore mode loadout. Though mine's topped off with two derringers, which are surprisingly accurate even at some distance.

- MP-133 + CZ75

- Mosin Nagat + CZ75

- Crossbow + M1911

Those are my top 3 favorite sets

• Like 1

To you Mosin users: what advice could you give me for using the Mosin? How to properly implement? Where? Tips for hitting moving targets?

I have almost zero experience with it, so any little tips would be appreciated.

- Crossbow + M1911

Madman! :P (I can respect madness though)

• Like 2

To you Mosin users: what advice could you give me for using the Mosin? How to properly implement? Where? Tips for hitting moving targets?

If you played with a Lee Enfield in the mod, then you're half way trough to become the ultimate Mosin Deleteman. If not, then make sure to:

- Always aim down sight when medium/long range (with or without scope) because you only have 5 bullets in the rifle and a slow rate of fire, so every shot counts.

- When close range just zoom in with RMB if necessary, don't aim down sights

- This weapon is better for Hunting/Support/Clearing than for PvP

- Works better with a Long Range Scope

- Practice (on zombies preferably)

The Mosin is a fairly versatile weapon in terms of how it can be used - basically anything beyond medium-long range the Mosin has little competition (if you can shoot.)

However, it's almost imperative you take a sidearm for shorter-ranged encounters - at medium range and less anyone with an AR, SMG, shotgun, or even just a faster rifle (SKS, Repeater, Blaze, etc.) is going to tear you up if you cannot consistently hit the first shot, which is easier said than done when you're in erratic close ranged combat.

If you're planning on going into dense urban cities at all then you're best off bringing a short-ranged automatic weapon like the MP5K or AKS-74U. If you're in a mixed role then higher capacity handguns like the FNX45 and CR75 will probably serve you best in the long run.

Someone who basically spends their time on the rooftops or in buildings could also find use in the sawed-off IZH-43 considering the strong power it has in CQB - however I don't like it as a backup for the Mosin specifically because you have two risky weapons with small ammo capacities and slow fire rate (the IZH-43 is quick but slow to reload.) In reality any city sniper should have a carbine or SMG just in case you need to have a drawn out fight in the city, because with a Mosin you're at a disadvantage.

However, my current gun of choice is the Repeater - highest internal capacity of any firearm without a magazine, strong power, good fire rate, and good accuracy (plus the gun and ammo is so easy to find.) It sucks that it has no optics, but then again I don't fight people at longer ranges so it works well (if you want some more range with the same overall style of combat then the SKS is your best bet)

ARs - specifically the M4A1 and AKM, and to a lesser degree the AK-101 (more of a niche weapon since the M4A1 and AKM outperform it in most styles that they're similar, but it does have its uses) are probably the go-to weapon if you don't want to specialize. They're very forgiving and easier to use, plus you have a lot of guaranteed spare ammo, and as of now - suppressors, that only a few guns can use. It can still be hard to learn how to control the recoil and get a feel for the weapon but if you're not specializing or are just getting a feel for combat then you can't go wrong with an AR.

• Like 1

If you played with a Lee Enfield in the mod, then you're half way trough to become the ultimate Mosin Deleteman. If not, then make sure to:

- Always aim down sight when medium/long range (with or without scope) because you only have 5 bullets in the rifle and a slow rate of fire, so every shot counts.

I honestly hope they add the Takistani Arms .308 Lee-Enfield to the game at some point (the fact that's it a homage to the mod and ArmA 2 country Takistan, as well as the fact that uses .308 make it a prime gun to be added.)

It'd have twice the capacity at the cost of no optics. Clearly weapons aren't as specialized as they were in the mod, but for now the Mosin is the closest example to the performance of said Enfield, so it would be really interesting to see how the two would perform given different standards.

Has anyone used the AK74 yet? How does it compare to the AK74U? Might just ditch the Mosin and go with the AK74 and a less militaristic setup

I'm kinda digging the pump action with a longhorn and makarov. 

Although, The SKS in general is really really nice to have with a double barrel sawed off

You've never played with me. I go Red Orchestra on baddies e'ryday, son.

My favorite is magnum and repeater. Share the same ammo, no magazines to find either.

And I'm a cowboy :P

Currently rocking an ak47 with drum and 1911 though on 3pp

I actually have been destroying a few squads of heavily armed guys with just a bow, the fact it makes no noise and doesn't have any real indicators as to where the arrows are being fired from makes it the best combo with a ghille suit as I crouch in a bush nearby.

That being said you can dominate nearly everyone with a humble sawn off due to most players in-ability to actually aim with a gun. Seriously most players I run into just spray and pray with drum mags thinking that I'll just stand still and take it.

Bow + Arrow

Axe

:D

Hardcore, FTW!

Have you actually tried PvPing with it, yet?

I've gotten "ambushes" down, I think I might try some "stalking" now.

Have you actually tried PvPing with it, yet?

I've gotten "ambushes" down, I think I might try some "stalking" now.

Stalking mostly. I'm still unsure exactly how well the b+a will work as a PvP weapon. 

As I don't have a fall back weapon, I feel if I fire and it's a failure then I'm in the shit. I'll keep on practising on the zombies for now.

Stalking mostly. I'm still unsure exactly how well the b+a will work as a PvP weapon. 

As I don't have a fall back weapon, I feel if I fire and it's a failure then I'm in the shit. I'll keep on practising on the zombies for now.

Like I said, it is an ambush weapon. Don't run up to people and try to get an arrow into them. Stay crouched, go from cover to cover, and try to stay behind them.

I actually got a "stalking" kill with the bow earlier. I was in Elektro, and saw a guy running through the western part of  the city. I followed him to the little compound with the well west of the city. When he stopped to drink, I nailed him. VERY satisfying.

You would be surprised at how little attention people pay to their surroundings in this game, especially when there are only a few on the server. He never once looked behind him. 

Edited by Whyherro123