Sign in to follow this  
Osprey98

MP5K VS AKM

No gun is "better" in this game. I myself prefer the AKM for the stopping power, range, and how god damn awesome it looks. It's a very good all around primary, especially in CQC. The MP5 is an excellent secondary however; you can fit in your backpack. Good rate of fire, but not a lot of stopping power. Make sure you have enough time to put a good 3-5 bullets in at close range (1-2 for zombies). Not useful at all at long ranges. The ammunition seems to be equally as common, although AKM mags have been easier to find so far than MP5 mags.

Overall it comes down to personal preference. Even if someone says a gun is the worst, just try it. Try it once. The shotguns for example, while most certainly not the most practical weapon, are very fun to use. (Then again, so is an AKM with a drum mag. :P)

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 1

You're comparing two different classes of weapon so there's no "better" weapon between the two as they each excel in the area they are designed for.

The AKM is an Assault rifle and is very good for general use over almost any range, it has great stopping power, range and is fairly accurate but it's fire rate is slightly lower to other models in it's class and it's 7.62mm cartridge produces some fairly high recoil. It may not be ideal in close quarters because of it's recoil and relatively low fire rate but it is still highly effective if you make your first rounds count as it is far more powerful than an SMG's pistol cartridge.

The MP5K is an SMG meant for CQC, it has a high rate of fire, low velocity and low penetration rounds, very manageable recoil and it is compact. It is an ideal choice in enclosed spaces or over short distances, it's light 9mm round means it also produces far less noise than a full sized rifle like an AKM so it could be more useful if you are trying to clear an area quietly. However it will not measure up to an assault rifle over long range because it's pistol cartridge simply isn't as powerful.

Ultimately it comes down to preference and the situation you happen to be in, personally I'd prefer an AKM because as Geckofrog mention it packs far more punch making it more efficient ammo wise and giving it an advantage in longer range engagements.

AKM all day long.  Ignoring rarity, which the AKM wins handily, the AKM puts people down faster than any other assault rifle in the game.

It is hard to learn how to fire it in combat, but it is totally worth it.

I shot a friend in the ankle once with an AKM, and he was dead before I could even bandage him.

Also, when I camp barracks, the AKM always puts people down quicker than any other weapon I have used there.  I sit and wait for them to enter the hallway, then light them up.  They never make it past the shower door when I hit them with the AKM.  

Edited by harteman

In their specific weapon classes the AKM is a really good overall assault rifle because of it's commonness, abundance of ammo and damage. bolstered by the amount of mods available

But seeing there is only two SMG's in the standalone I feel that the Mp5k is an overall better SMG than the PM73 because of the Rate of fire and magazine size (25 and for the PM73, 30 for the MP5)

• Like 1

This is like the weapon ranking thread on New Player. But it's rock, paper, scissors.

Within 5 meters, the MP5 might, just, be better. But as an all-rounder the AKM wins hands down.

And actually there are many stories about those weedy 9mm rounds not doing what they're supposed to - even at close range. Not many similar stories about 7.62x39, even including player incompetence.

Depends on your playstyle really. If you are primarily a sniper that uses the mosin then the mp5k is a fantastic side arm however the ak-74u which was just released is by far better than the mp5k in just about every aspect and fits in your inventory as well. If you aren't a sniper then akm is a better choice due to it's versatility.

so if you close range shoot, then mp, or you like to shoot at range AK. so its what fit your stlye

Edited by Sooden

The guys saying if you shoot close range take the mp5k are dead wrong.  The AKM is KING of close-range kills.  You MIGHT go down with them, but GUARANTEED they go down too.  I have been PvPing for 700 hours in this game, and I'll take an AKM over any other weapon, for any circumstances, including sniping and room clearing.  Add a 75rd drum mag and nothing in the game compares to it.

I'm not saying "this circumstance" or "that circumstance" I am saying if there is a fully-loaded AKM and MP5K on the ground, with plenty of ammo, the AKM should be your choice everytime, unless you have intentions other than killing/self-defense.

That all said, the recoil on the AKM is horrendous.  You need practice with it to make it truly shine.

The guys saying if you shoot close range take the mp5k are dead wrong.  The AKM is KING of close-range kills.  You MIGHT go down with them, but GUARANTEED they go down too.  I have been PvPing for 700 hours in this game, and I'll take an AKM over any other weapon, for any circumstances, including sniping and room clearing.  Add a 75rd drum mag and nothing in the game compares to it.

I'm not saying "this circumstance" or "that circumstance" I am saying if there is a fully-loaded AKM and MP5K on the ground, with plenty of ammo, the AKM should be your choice everytime, unless you have intentions other than killing/self-defense.

That all said, the recoil on the AKM is horrendous.  You need practice with it to make it truly shine.

problem with ak over mp is after yo been spriting

if you run apon someone the mp gonna wok better

where as the ak is gonna be doing bigger circles in you hands :P

I would say i like the MP5K for its compact space saving if you want to put it in your backpack for another rifle like an AKM or AR rifle.

To be honest WHY does one have to be better than the other? You can literally carry both on you. I treat the AKM as the overall more "well rounded" weapon while i treat the MP5K as a superior pistol replacement lol.

You find both your in rather good shape for all kinds of encounters.

No firearm is "better". It is all objectivity: which weapon do you like better, and what do you perform better with?

Take my case, for example. I am running with a .357 Magnum revolver and repeater combo. Both weapons take the same cartridge, which is relatively common and powerful. I use the Repeater for mid-range targets, hunting, and zombie defense, and leave the Revolver for those "OH SHIT FUCK HE IS RIGHT THERE" moments. However, neither have gotten a player kill yet.

Instead, I am using the improvised bow with improvised arrows, for shits and giggles. Recently, over three hours on a high-pop server, I've been hiding near a high-value loot spawn in a small coastal town, picking off players as they run up to loot the spawn. I "sweetened the pot" with some opened cans, a fire, etc. Over those three hours, I've gotten 15 kills in a row with the bow. You would think people would avoid the obvious ambush location, surrounded by dead bodies, but they kept running up to the fire, looking at the bodies, and eating the canned goods. Once they stood still, I would stand up from behind that waist-high fence, pull back an arrow, and put it through their chest.

Would I use the bow in actual PvP? Not unless I had anything else, but I've proved that it can be used to defend oneself, and with chicken feathers (necessary to make arrows) spawning in chicken coops (which can be found in literally EVERY town), players now have next-to-no excuse NOT to make and use a bow. Is it a laser, capable of killing people hundreds of meters away with pinpoint accuracy? No, but I found with a little practice, know-how, and gumption, I could nail a moving target from about 30 meters. "Good enough for government work", as I always say.

problem with ak over mp is after yo been spriting

if you run apon someone the mp gonna wok better

where as the ak is gonna be doing bigger circles in you hands :P

I disagree with you completely.  I can only speak from experience, but I have had the opportunity to use both weapons quite a bit, and everything I have said still stands.  It is a beast at all ranges.  It beats the MP5K at close range.

The op asked which is better.  I'd imagine as an either/or sort of situation.  Not, "you can tuck the mp5k in your backpack and have both", but rather if you had to pick ONE.  

OP, I wouldn't lead you astray.  I am a KOS/PvP kinda guy.  That is how I play, that is how I have always played.  These guys responding here, I don't think they play like I do.  I play soldier, a lot of these guys play fisherman, hunter, etc...  One of my purposes over the last 700hrs of playing has been testing ALL the weapons, on all manner of player, geared or not.

If you are trying to kill people, and the ammo and the attachment situation is the same for both weapons, hands down, everytime, the AKM wins.  The only caveat is that the AKM has HUGE recoil.  Up close and personal, it doesn't matter, but for ranged engagements you have to put some time into the weapon, and eventually you will master whats happening enough to where it no longer is an issue.

As for being out of breath, don't let that happen whenever possible.  If you see them first, go prone and catch your breath.  If they see you first, you need to take proper cover til your breath is back.  Do this always, unless it is a surprise up close encounter.  Then it doesn't matter, and the AKM shines in those situations regardless.

• Like 1

I haven't seen an MP5K in a long time....either way AKM is the best, but really it's up to YOU. Because the gun doesn't make you better/win, you do.

I have a 357 sks combo. the 357 saved me from a mosin player chasing me up a hill near novo. the guy was wearing a press vest and I hit him at least once or twice before he scampered off. i have been saved by the akm as well against an sks at the barracks in nwaf.

I have a 357 sks combo. the 357 saved me from a mosin player chasing me up a hill near novo. the guy was wearing a press vest and I hit him at least once or twice before he scampered off. i have been saved by the akm as well against an sks at the barracks in nwaf.

The 357 and SKS are my favorite combo.  Reliable weapons and easy to acquire ammo.

I found an ak74 with 20 bullets. should I swap my sks with 40 bullets for it? I have a revolver with 60 rounds. I don't have a mag but Im near nwaf.

I found an ak74 with 20 bullets. should I swap my sks with 40 bullets for it? I have a revolver with 60 rounds. I don't have a mag but Im near nwaf.

Shoulder the SKS, take the AK and risk the trip.  If you get lucky and find magazines and rounds keep the AK but again, it's all about preference and skill.

No gun is "better" in this game.

Dude...  Some guns certainly are "better" in this game...  You can try and argue the "favorite" crap all you want, but certain weapons are obviously better than others...  Compare the ak74u to the mp5k as one example...  The 74u is more accurate, does a tiny bit more damage, fires at roughly the same rate, takes the same inventory space, is more easy to find and has mags that are more easy to find...  The only advantage the mp5k has is that the 9mm may possibly be slightly easier to find, however 5.45 is common as hell anyway...  The 74u is very clearly the superior weapon...  Can people kill other people with the mp5k?  Of course they can!  However that has nothing to do with something being better than something else...  I can kill someone with a crow bar, that does not make it equal to a fire axe....

Edited by taco86
  • Like 1

which one is better and why.

MP5k take little space - so u can have it in your backpack - when I found it I didn't had amo for it unforunately -

then a hacker killed me some hours later so I had to start over on a new server.   :)

Dude...  Some guns certainly are "better" in this game...  You can try and argue the "favorite" crap all you want, but certain weapons are obviously better than others...  Compare the ak74u to the mp5k as one example...  The 74u is more accurate, does a tiny bit more damage, fires at roughly the same rate, takes the same inventory space, is more easy to find and has mags that are more easy to find...  The only advantage the mp5k has is that the 9mm may possibly be slightly easier to find, however 5.45 is common as hell anyway...  The 74u is very clearly the superior weapon...  Can people kill other people with the mp5k?  Of course they can!  However that has nothing to do with something being better than something else...  I can kill someone with a crow bar, that does not make it equal to a fire axe....

The MP5K has a much higher turning rate than the AK74U, and accepts a large range of attachments. And so far for me, MP5Ks are easier to find than AKS74U's, especially the mags. I also like the sights much better on the MP5K, as well as the better stability. It's all in preference; so far I've had better luck with the MP5, it seems to take things down faster, but maybe that's just me.

Edited by Geckofrog7

Compare the ak74u to the mp5k as one example...  The 74u is more accurate, does a tiny bit more damage, fires at roughly the same rate, takes the same inventory space, is more easy to find and has mags that are more easy to find...

Not at all. The only thing the AKS74U has going for it is its slightly higher damage and that its easier to find. Accuracy is the same unless you want to include attachments from other weapons then the MP5-K takes the cake by being able to mount M4 optics. Magazines seem equally rare (in fact I never found a AK74 mag but a few MP5 mags) and 9mm is more common than 5.45x39mm. Also the MP5-K fires significantly faster which helps compensating for the lower damage per round in while sacrificing stamina. So its by no means inferior to the AKS74U (still not worth the additional search time).

Compared to the AKM its easier to handle but has much less range and punch as well as much less stamina. You will find 9mm rounds easier but magazines are harder to get. All in all the AKM is better in everything but close quarters, but the MP5-K also works as a secondary weapon were its one of the best choices - if you can find one. The only weapon that can rival the AKM in overall performance is an M4 though other weapons like Mosin or Blaze might outperform it in specific tasks as well.

• Like 1