Etherimp

Newbs, ask a vet.

~1000 hours logged in DayZ SA.

Over a year in DayZ Mod. (Was a hero with 11k humanity)

I play mainly friendly, but still manage to PVP.. (a lot..)

Ask me anything.

Why doesn't Ryan Seacrest say "Seacrest out!" like he used to?

I fear he's lost his way.

• Like 2

Why doesn't Ryan Seacrest say "Seacrest out!" like he used to?

I fear he's lost his way.

Ryan Seacrest wasn't even aware he was saying "Seacrest out!", it was a command from his subconscious compelling him to come out of the closet... He came out (Didn't he?), and now his subconscious is satisfied.

DayZ mod

Correct ranges for chevrons in SVD's PSO scope?

Can't answer this with 100% certainty as I only used the SVD very rarely, but as I recall the scope was correct/accurate... Though there's something vague in the back of my head hinting me that there may have been some problem with the scope. I'd have to ask my buddy Hoff, as that was his preferred weapon/scope. 

Your gloriousness,

Take pity on a poor noob, I ask your greatness for a moment of your divine time.  I know I am not worthy, but I pray my words find your most benevolent and wise ears.

Why does the Crossbow firing steel broadhead bolts need two body shots from close range to kill a zombie, yet an improvised bow shooting slightly sharpened sticks with feathers attached can one hit kill up to 80-100m.

I eagerly await your prudence, even knowing that your reality bending insight may cause my head to implode with it's acute and unquestionably clear, decisive and authoritative truth.

Edit:  Also, how 'bout them Cardinals?

I guess the Cards are having a good season? I don't follow football too much.

As far as the Crossbow, it makes no sense. I agree. I was told when the Xbow was first released that it was a 1 shot kill... so I tried to shoot a player with it, hit him in the back, and he survived... Unfortunately he had an SKS. Fortunately, he was a shit shot. Unfortunately, my reload time was approximatley 8 minutes. Fortunately, he missed another entire 10 shots. Unfortunately, he didn't miss the next 10. :(

To the rest of your post... This is a sincere "AMA" thread for newer players. This IS the "new player discussion" forums, is it not? I could swear I clicked on that... Oh yes, it is... I felt information/knowledge that I have gained from playing DayZ since launch may be helpful to some new people. Mocking me for attempting to be helpful and trolling my thread ... not very classy.

Can't answer this with 100% certainty as I only used the SVD very rarely, but as I recall the scope was correct/accurate... Though there's something vague in the back of my head hinting me that there may have been some problem with the scope. I'd have to ask my buddy Hoff, as that was his preferred weapon/scope. 

Nevermind then, I was just testing you :P

Actually they weren't exactly accurate, but close enough for most situations. I can't remember the exact ranges, I have them written down at home, if anyone's interested I might post them later.

Nevermind then, I was just testing you :P

Actually they weren't exactly accurate, but close enough for most situations. I can't remember the exact ranges, I have them written down at home, if anyone's interested I might post them later.

I only used the SVD maybe 2 times.. Usually stuck with a DMR or an M16 ACOG. :)

DayZ mod

Correct ranges for chevrons in SVD's PSO scope?

Fairly sure it's 200 - 400 - 600 - 800 - 1k.

The little " Measuring " Stick down in the bottom left, use it to range your target. If you haven't adjusted your FoV, It's lined up perfectly for it. Remember, Right side blocks should match a standing target at 200m, Which means you use the Top Chevron

( Probably should have read the rest of the thread before chiming in on this one.. Nailed it. )

Edited by Preach
  • Like 1

Who stole all the watches ?

Oo.. Valid point. Where ARE all the watches? I kind of miss them.

Edited by Etherimp

When I read the title, I thought, why I should ask a veterinarian.

Why can't I kill bandits in the Mod, when I roll over them with a truck?

• Like 1

That's a statement, not a question.

Time played =/= skill 

Etherimp,

As a DayZ Veteran, what new feature do you think they'll introduce to Standalone that the Mod lacks?

Ask me anything.

Where are the tomato greenhouses in SA, which are close to East Coast spawn points?

Better with nearby water ponds? Not too many zeds may be?

(**** Those are serious questions, not a jk, nor troll)

How does weapon damage work?

I'm not a DayZ Dev or the DayZ Wiki, so I the best thing I could do is copy-pasta what those sources have already said about weapon damage.. That, and you're not really a new player, so your guess is probably as good as mine. 

This is what I know about weapon damage

Each weapon/round(?) has a SHOCK value, Blood damage, and Health damage value.

Each body part has a modifier attached to it that increases or decreases the base damage. (or possibly multiplies it by a certain factor..)

Shock = knocks you unconscious if your shock > your blood

Blood = >500 keeps you conscious and your color. At full 5000 blood, you begin healing health.

Health = At 0 you die. At 5000 you are healthy. More damage = screen blurrier.

Clothing protects against some damage.

Look up the wiki if you want more info.. 

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Weapons

When I read the title, I thought, why I should ask a veterinarian.

Why can't I kill bandits in the Mod, when I roll over them with a truck?

Desync.

Time played =/= skill 

I have videos and a twitch stream where you can verify how skilled I am or am not. You don't, so there's no way for anyone to verify your skill. Thanks for posting, but that wasn't a question and you're not new. You're free to chime in and help though. :)

That's a statement, not a question.

Etherimp,

As a DayZ Veteran, what new feature do you think they'll introduce to Standalone that the Mod lacks?

Barricading/Base Building I think is the big one for most people, but I was just happy to see that you can go inside of buildings now. That adds so much MORE depth to the game and makes PVP that much more interesting.

If you're looking for a feature that's NOT already in the game?

Hmm..

I think the ability to ACTUALLY take people hostage..

In the mod it was impossible... but now we have handcuffs, we have burlap for over the head, and presumably in the future we will be able to move/drag bodies.. I think once that's more fleshed out it'll make PVP/player interactions pretty interesting.

• Like 1

Where are the tomato greenhouses in SA, which are close to East Coast spawn points?

Better with nearby water ponds? Not too many zeds may be?

(**** Those are serious questions, not a jk, nor troll)

I don't know all of the locations, by any means.. But I know they tend to be in "run down" areas.. Like, Olsha.. Khlem.. or other "low value residential".. I would check around those 2 towns, or possibly on the outskirts of Novo.. Karmanovka? I think the town is named.. Those places tend to be generally safer than the larger towns, and zombies aren't too bad..

Having water nearby is not necessary for tomato growth.

As a veteran player, I've personally never grown tomatoes for survival.. There are easier ways to sustain yourself. (canned foods, packets of milk/rice, hunting, etc)

I don't know all of the locations, by any means.. But I know they tend to be in "run down" areas.. Like, Olsha.. Khlem.. or other "low value residential".. I would check around those 2 towns, or possibly on the outskirts of Novo.. Karmanovka? I think the town is named.. Those places tend to be generally safer than the larger towns, and zombies aren't too bad..

Having water nearby is not necessary for tomato growth.

As a veteran player, I've personally never grown tomatoes for survival.. There are easier ways to sustain yourself. (canned foods, packets of milk/rice, hunting, etc)

Thanks, Olsha and Khelm do indeed have greenhouses, as well as Berezino   ) lol

Dolina and Msta however do not. And I don't know why is that difference.

Question itself is not for myself as solo survivor, but rather where to build base camps for sustainable community on private shard.

Thanks, Olsha and Khelm do indeed have greenhouses, as well as Berezino ) lol

Dolina and Msta however do not. And I don't know why is that difference.

Question itself is not for myself as solo survivor, but rather where to build base camps for sustainable community on private shard.

If it is a matter of building a camp I would personally try one of the towns to the north of lopatino (west or north west of nwaf)

There are a lot of little towns in that area and some of them are sure to have green houses, and you'll generally be safer from random passerby's.

If it is a matter of building a camp I would personally try one of the towns to the north of lopatino (west or north west of nwaf)

There are a lot of little towns in that area and some of them are sure to have green houses, and you'll generally be safer from random passerby's.

Yes, indeed, thanks. This is where Sanctuary Outpost is, not Terminus style, but for real, for good people.

Base Camps are on the way to Sanctuary, to make journey safer and more reliable, from new spawn points.

Raids Forward Camp at Pustoshka has greenhouses for tomatoes, cows herd for meat, and a pond for water nearby.

As far as the Crossbow, it makes no sense. I agree. I was told when the Xbow was first released that it was a 1 shot kill... so I tried to shoot a player with it, hit him in the back, and he survived... Unfortunately he had an SKS. Fortunately, he was a shit shot. Unfortunately, my reload time was approximatley 8 minutes. Fortunately, he missed another entire 10 shots. Unfortunately, he didn't miss the next 10. :(

Unfortunately the doll is cursed.

That's bad!

But it comes with a free frogurt!

That's good!

Unfortunately the frogurt is also cursed.

That's bad!

But it comes with your choice of free topping!

That's good!

The topping contains potassium benzoate.

That's bad.