kovie20@gmail.com

SKS or AKM?

Quick question for you guys. I currently am kitted and have plenty of 7.62x39mm ammo (upwards of 90 rounds) and my question is what is your personal preference between these two guns. I am playing with a buddy that has a finished mosin, and I'm kinda geared towards scouting for him. I have rangefinders and normally carry the medical supplies for us. I have an AKM currently with one magazine and I am actively searching for two more. However I do like the range for the SKS but I'm not sure if we need it, or if the capacity and rate of fire for AKM would be a better way to go. Just looking for some food for thought. Discuss? Which do you prefer?

Edited by mkoval

The AKM has slightly better accuracy, same damage, same recoil, better scope available, better capacity, full auto.

• Like 4

The SKS lacks the ability to fit a LR scope like a Mosin and does not have the ROF that AKM has.  So it's kind-of an in-between weapon.  The SKS is not bad as such just that it does not excel at either assault or long ranged fighting.   However, the SKS ammo iks generally easier to come by than AKM ammo, which can only be found in military barracks.  

If you're scouting then you'll probably be ahead and will prefer an assault weapon over a rifle.  So probably the AKM.  

Personally, it would depend on the scope.  Both the AKM and SKS are so much more useful when scoped.  If I found a PS01 scope I'd stick with the AKM and plan to loot up some military sites to get more ammo.   If I found a PU scope I'd look for a SKS and use that.  

Finally, you could try dual-carrying (i,e one gun on your back and the other in your hands) but this can get annoying, you can lose one accidentally when you eat etc, and you risk getting flustered if thrust into a combat situation or zombines.  

Edited by wacktopia

me and my friend tactic is he's got the mosin i got the pump shotgun we scout from buildings i watch entrances and he scopes for trouble if i get downed he has a 357 seems to work most folks don't get through doorways when i'm watching it with the pump. now outdoors sks or AK would be better cover i'm sure but indoors 12 gauge is the way to go.

AKM. All you gotta do to kill someone who has an SKS is surprise them...they just fire 10 rounds in a row as fast as they can shoot, and miss every shot. You won't have so much luck with an AKM.

However, the SKS ammo iks generally easier to come by than AKM ammo, which can only be found in military barracks.  

Erm... they both use the same ammo mate.

Honestly, I like the SKS better.  The PU scope is better than the PSO scope as you get a better view of the surroundings with it. The PSO scope blacks out your view on the sides and makes tracking more difficult.  Also, the AKM can waste ammo if you don't control your bursts appropriately.

The real question is more about your playstyle. The AKM is by far better than the SKS at CQB. So if you tend to go into more populated cities (Berezino, Electro, Chernarus, Novo..) Then I would say the AKM is better.  But if you are more of a solo style player and stick to the outskirts of high traffic areas then I would say go with the AKM and PU scope.

Edited by 5p4rtan

Not an unimportant consideration: the SKS is much, much easier to come by than the AKM. And the SKS doesn't require mags.

• Like 4

Would you rather have glorious vaginal sex with Scarlett Johansson and her identical clone in every room of your home which is now made out of money, or would you rather shove your penis into a meat grinder and then be forced to consume it?

This question is about as difficult to answer as yours is.

• Like 3

I will start off by saying I like the SKS. Before the AKM came along, and other rifles. There was SKS, Mosin and M4, were really the main combat weapons. I found the SKS to be a nice all around meduim range gun with the PU. It of cource can only carry 10 shot.

When they brought the AKM in. With its masive 70 round drum, and 30 mags. Fully automatic, with custom parts. And the really nice pso scope. My god the choice is clear. Infact the AKM is just devastating. Its probably the best rifle in the game, unless your shooting for long range. So I think the choice is clear.

Would you rather have glorious vaginal sex with Scarlett Johansson and her identical clone in every room of your home which is now made out of money, or would you rather shove your penis into a meat grinder and then be forced to consume it?

This question is about as difficult to answer as yours is.

Well theres another a way to put it!  :beans:

Edited by CJFlint

Better question is: makarov or SVD?

Makarov - great for self defense (high dexterity), ammo and magazines are plentiful and its not too loud.

Now in the OP's situation - definitely the AKM as it is better than the SKS is all but the following traits:

• gun rarity (non-factor as you already have both)
  • the AKM needs a magazine to be effective (non-factor if you already have one)
  • PU Scope is easier to find than the PSO1 Scope
  • fully automatic fire might waste ammo

To make something clear: The AKM is more accurate then the SKS unless you strip it from all its attachments and put a PU SCope on the SKS.

So the SKS is that nice girl from across the street - and the AKM is her hot little sister.

I disagree, there is no difference in skill required between the 2. You can do well placed shots with the AKM, infact even better. It is clearly supereor. There isn't one thing better about an SKS. AKM has better attachments, better rate of fire, the only thing the 2 rilfes are equal on is range.

Now you want to talk about a rilfle that takes abit of skill, its the mosin with LRS. Its not easy. Thing fires really slow but has the some serous range IF you can learn to deal with sway, and figuring out your ranges. And at close range it can get your self killed if you don't make the vary 1st shot kill. Its really ify to use at close range, really slow rate of fire.

But regardless, this debate was won before this thread even started. I mean come on really guys?

Infact the only thing better about an SKS is the fact they are more common.

Edited by CJFlint

SKS if you want skill, AKM for spray n pray

Tap fire...

(still don't know why they haven't given it proper fire modes, would only take a minute, they've even done it for the SxS shotgun... they want moving selectors? But the selector is on the wrong side of the AKM, you couldn't see it anyways. They want minimalist UI? But they have already given us the weapon and zeroing information in upper right)

• Like 1

I disagree, there is no difference in skill required between the 2. You can do well placed shots with the AKM, infact even better. It is clearly supereor. There isn't one thing better about an SKS. AKM has better attachments, better rate of fire, the only thing the 2 rilfes are equal on is range.

That debate was won before this thread even started.

Infact the only thing better about an SKS is the fact they are more common.

Skill as in using a single shot as opposed to needing a fully automatic.  Takes more skill to place that single shot instead of holding down the trigger.

In the end it doesn't matter.  It all comes down to preference.  For me and I'll take an SKS over any fully automatic rifle any day.

• Like 2

I love the SKS amongst other things just because I love to hear after they killed me: "F"#$ sake....he only had a SKS"!!!!! LOL...........

Skill as in using a single shot as opposed to needing a fully automatic.  Takes more skill to place that single shot instead of holding down the trigger.

Ha ha, man your really trying to when this debate on behalf of the SKS. Hey its a cool gun with the PU though, you can read above I wrote I liked it my self. I think its not a bad rifle, its kind of almost an assualt rifle, kind of a late WW2 era combat rifle. The SKS is prefectly good in game. Its not even a debate about which one is more effective. Skill has nothing to do with it between the 2. Of cource its much easier to do allot of damage with the AKM. Its vary clear. Skill, try the mosin out with LRS. Thats the hardest gun to master. I have to say its a challenge and has challenged me more then any gun in this game. For me anyways.

In fact if you look at the history of the AK. It came out in the late 40s, and guess what gun the comi's wanted it to replace........The SKS. The reason it was better in every way.

But its cool, hey I like the long horn. Thats probably one of the most impracticle guns in DayZ. I mean it really is kind of useless. But I like it. I'm just like you I go with what I like, not nec becuase its the best. And there's nothing wrong with selecting the SKS infact its a great rifle.

Edited by CJFlint

In the end it doesn't matter.  It all comes down to preference.  For me and I'll take an SKS over any fully automatic rifle any day.

That's correct, preference, not skill.  Your name really suits you, Fanboy... it's amazing.

That's correct, preference, not skill.  Your name really suits you, Fanboy... it's amazing.

Just because I don't need a fully automatic rifle to kill, don't blame your lack of skills on me  ;)

Just because I don't need a fully automatic rifle to kill, don't blame your lack of skills on me  ;)

If you want a worse gun just use chambered Sporter or crossbow, much more skill required than either SKS or AKM. Who needs a semi-automatic rifle to kill? :lol:

• Like 1