Sign in to follow this  
Jex

I grew tomatoes!

First attempt I found seeds and lime and then spent half an hour looking for a frikkin hoe after finding out I needed one. Of course, the day before there were literally hoes everywhere and yesterday could I find one? Could I fuck.

Anyway, zombies killed me so that put an end to that. However, my friend was on too and I respawned in Cherno where he was. Now of course, in typical DayZ fashion, Hoes everywhere and no lime or seeds - WTF? I swear this game just fucks with you.

Finally find a hoe and off we go to find a greenhouse. So, what do you do?

The strip in the middle is where you point your mouse. Keep hoe'ing until all the plots around the middle strip are dug (or "digged" according to the game, as in, "I have digged one hole")

After this, add the lime to the middle strip you're standing on and it will add that to all the holes and you can see that too - the texture changes. Simply add the seeds after this and wait maybe 20 minutes. You'll see the stages of growth until you see tomatoes hanging from them which you can now harvest for 13 tomatoes.

We left 4 behind so will see if they are still there today :)

• Like 9

First attempt I found seeds and lime and then spent half an hour looking for a frikkin hoe after finding out I needed one. Of course, the day before there were literally hoes everywhere and yesterday could I find one? Could I fuck.

Anyway, zombies killed me so that put an end to that. However, my friend was on too and I respawned in Cherno where he was. Now of course, in typical DayZ fashion, Hoes everywhere and no lime or seeds - WTF? I swear this game just fucks with you.

The strip in the middle is where you point your mouse. Keep hoe'ing until all the plots around the middle strip are dug (or "digged" according to the game, as in, "I have digged one hole")

After this, add the lime to the middle strip you're standing on and it will add that to all the holes and you can see that too - the texture changes. Simply add the seeds after this and wait maybe 20 minutes. You'll see the stages of growth until you see tomatoes hanging from them which you can now harvest for 13 tomatoes.

Havent tried growing anything yet ,seems a cool idea although hopefully when they have persistance worked out maybe it will take a little longer to grow like come back the next day, and maybe it needs to add water to the mix . But hey the basic idea seems pretty cool to me ( question is will people stop playing pew pew long enough to try it out lol seeing i know guys who still havent tried to fish yet ...

Grown tomatoes and digged plots disappear on server crash or restart. Not persistent.

You can grow tomatoes without lime, just hoe/shovel and seeds.

To harvest tomatoes you need empty space in inventory, you harvest whole bush, not each tomato one by one.

So if you have 4 empty inventory slots, harvest 13 fresh tomatoes, you have got only 4, tomato bush disappear, 9 tomatoes lost forever, and not found on the ground around.

Did build sanctuary outpost with food water and fire last night, with mixed results.

Edited by Paxom
  • Like 1

Did build sanctuary outpost with food water and fire last night, with mixed results.

:o  What??

Havent tried growing anything yet ,seems a cool idea although hopefully when they have persistance worked out maybe it will take a little longer to grow like come back the next day, and maybe it needs to add water to the mix . But hey the basic idea seems pretty cool to me ( question is will people stop playing pew pew long enough to try it out lol seeing i know guys who still havent tried to fish yet ...

Well soon we're going to need a tool shed to store all the equipment needed to fish/hunt/farm

:o  What??

Sanctuary outpost, for good people.

With fended off zombies, with food, water and fire, to survive. Very basic, no tents, no supplies yet.

That's cool.

I exchanged my tomato seeds for the brass knuckles - I didn't have enough room to carry the lime and I was on a server where I put the hoe on the ground to pick up the lime and the hoe vanished forever. I crawled around even to see if it was maybe stuck in a wall or in the air half way through any tree branches a few yards away (ya know?).. up, down, sideways, or anywhere.. but no luck. Hoe gone. I waited around but it didn't come back.

Soo... I thought you'd be able to wear the brass knuckles (like a glove?) and still carry other stuff, but you cant.. so no hanging out with brass knucks plus a baseball bat, or anything else at all in fact..One set of brass knuckles is all you can hold in both hands.

But then I found the pump gun so I was happy again but I daren't put it down at all anywhere. That's as far as I go with agriculture - I think a country person should always carry a riot gun.

Still, it's good to know how the tomato farming works. I thought you'd have to water them too, but you need a greenhouse, OK...  I begin to understand

So how long can you live on 13 tomatoes ?

Edited by pilgrim

After this, add the lime to the middle strip you're standing on and it will add that to all the holes and you can see that too - the texture changes. Simply add the seeds after this and wait maybe 20 minutes.

Probably about 20 minutes...

Edited by Pillock
  • Like 2

One Fresh Tomato gives you 18 energy, and 105 water. So tomato bush with 13 tomatoes - 234 energy, and 1365 water.

Max enery 4000, max water 3500.

Sprinting takes 24 water per 67 seconds, and 1 energy per 4 seconds.

13 tomatoes - water sprint 1 hour, energy sprint 15 min.

So bottom line, if you active, 1 tomato bush, or 13 tomatoes, gives you about 15 min.

1 greenhouse gives you 6 bushes, so total on 6 seeds - 1.5 hours.

You can carry up to 50 seeds in one inventory slot.

15 min thats about 1/4 map run, or run and small town loot, with zeds engage. (Lets leave PvP out, for the moment)

Edited by Paxom
  • Like 5

Holy crap Paxom, thats good mathZ!!  Does it work out to be the same energy per distance spent whether you are crawling, crouching, walking or running or does it scale up?  Put another way, would crawling from Elektro to Chernogorsk use up the same resources as running the only difference being the time it takes?

Edited by youngjediknight

One Fresh Tomato gives you 18 energy, and 105 water. So tomato bush with 13 tomatoes - 234 energy, and 1365 water.

Max enery 4000, max water 3500.

Sprinting takes 24 water per 67 seconds, and 1 energy per 4 seconds.

13 tomatoes - water sprint 1 hour, energy sprint 15 min.

So bottom line, if you active, 1 tomato bush, or 13 tomatoes, gives you about 15 min.

1 greenhouse gives you 6 bushes, so total on 6 seeds - 1.5 hours.

You can carry up to 50 seeds in one inventory slot.

15 min thats about 1/4 map run, or run and small town loot, with zeds engage. (Lets leave PvP out, for the moment)

Nice :)

You cannot eat enough tomatoes to get yourself from starving to energised because you'll puke before you can get that far. However, they're a great source of water like all vegetables :)

I grew some the other day. Didn't really need them as I had an almost full backpack, but the loot was located in houses next to a greenhouse so I thought, "why not?".

Didn't take long at all, and interestingly it seems they grow at the same time regardless whether you use fertiliser as I had prepared 3 slots before realising I needed to fertilise before hoeing, so I had half my tomatoes planted with and half without. I spent some time investigating the rest of the town (not more than a few minutes) and when I came back they had all fully grown.

I took as plant (which said 13 tomatoes) but when I looked in my inventory there was only one in my bag (I only had one spare slot, mind) and none sitting on the ground which was a bit odd. I decided to leave the fruit for some other suspecting traveller and move on. 

Lo and behold the next town I was killed and spawned pretty close to the previous town. "Tomatoes!", I thought, and made my way to them. There had been no more than maybe 10 minutes but they were rotten by the time I reached there.

I am guessing that fruit has as small a window of opportunity like cooked meat before it gets burnt.

• Like 1

I grew some the other day. Didn't really need them as I had an almost full backpack, but the loot was located in houses next to a greenhouse so I thought, "why not?".

Didn't take long at all, and interestingly it seems they grow at the same time regardless whether you use fertiliser as I had prepared 3 slots before realising I needed to fertilise before hoeing, so I had half my tomatoes planted with and half without. I spent some time investigating the rest of the town (not more than a few minutes) and when I came back they had all fully grown.

I took as plant (which said 13 tomatoes) but when I looked in my inventory there was only one in my bag (I only had one spare slot, mind) and none sitting on the ground which was a bit odd. I decided to leave the fruit for some other suspecting traveller and move on. 

Lo and behold the next town I was killed and spawned pretty close to the previous town. "Tomatoes!", I thought, and made my way to them. There had been no more than maybe 10 minutes but they were rotten by the time I reached there.

I am guessing that fruit has as small a window of opportunity like cooked meat before it gets burnt.

That's good to know but I suspect right now the times are warped to test them. I hope we can grow things in fields at some point as those green houses make no sense lol.

That's good to know but I suspect right now the times are warped to test them. I hope we can grow things in fields at some point as those green houses make no sense lol.

Yeah, it certainly makes sense for the ability to farm other places. More fertile land and near water would be nice but I suppose we don't want this turning into Banished or Farmville.

Ya, it certainly doesn't take long to grow tomatoes.  A buddy and myself grew two greenhouses in Svetlo on a dark and stormy night and I don't think it took longer than a few minutes.

Ya, it certainly doesn't take long to grow tomatoes.  A buddy and myself grew two greenhouses in Svetlo on a dark and stormy night and I don't think it took longer than a few minutes.

LOL was there lightning and did you waggle your hands and speak in latin?

LOL was there lightning and did you waggle your hands and speak in latin?

We lit a couple of fires and danced in a circle naked

• Like 1

Now, if only you could grow potatoes, corn, beans, and pumpkins....

Potatoes: base of diet, starch (complex carbohydrate), easy to grow, can grow in less arable land, can get 5-6 new plants from one potato.

Corn (maize): cornmeal can be used as flour, stalks can be used as thatch, husks can be twisted into rope, can be distilled into ethanol

Beans: add nitrogen to soil, protein

Pumpkins: leaves create a favorable micro-climate conductive to growth, very versatile (almost all parts can be eaten), nutritious, high in Vitamin A.

Add some spinach and some other "greens" (dandelion, chicory), and you've got a pretty solid diet that covers all of your nutritional bases.

It is a very simple method of agriculture, and doesn't require you to practice crop rotation or leave plots fallow.

http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

Edited by Whyherro123

Now, if only you could grow potatoes, corn, beans, and pumpkins....

Potatoes: base of diet, starch (complex carbohydrate), easy to grow, can grow in less arable land, can get 5-6 new plants from one potato.

Corn (maize): cornmeal can be used as flour, stalks can be used as thatch, husks can be twisted into rope, can be distilled into ethanol

Beans: add nitrogen to soil, protein

Pumpkins: leaves create a favorable micro-climate conductive to growth, very versatile (almost all parts can be eaten), nutritious, high in Vitamin A.

Add some spinach and some other "greens" (dandelion, chicory), and you've got a pretty solid diet that covers all of your nutritional bases.

It is a very simple method of agriculture, and doesn't require you to practice crop rotation or leave plots fallow.

http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

I think they should add spaghetti plants. Also a good source of carbs and can be grown in different climates and soils.

• Like 1