Butifnot

I'm old and I suck at it so I play on empty servers.

i played on a private Server recently with 20 People on it!  ONLY FRIENDLY ENCOUNTERS! always!

Wow. I thought some joker had posted this about me specifically, lol.

Chalk up another donater to a private server with older, mostly peaceful dudes. 46 here. Started on Intellivision. Played my first Internet multiplayer game in 95 or 96 (Interstate 76, God rest your soul).

• Like 1

I think thats true for most of the people who just started playing.The controls are not the best right now aiming a gun and shooting at a moving target( zombies ) is difficult to say the least.I'm not ready for any major encounters although I have run into a few new spawns and tried to help them as much as I could.Having someone else to run with I find really helps and I enjoy that part of it.It makes things a little more comfortable in the game.I dont really care about going to the military bases to find the best stuff,just finding something to open a can of food is like christmas to me.And like you all said this might change the more I play the game but for now i'm having fun.

The best stuff is an

Axe,

Can Opener,

Knife (whichever to cut up animals),

Bow or crossbow for hunting,

Cooking pot & stove (boiling water), 

Matches.

Clothing and vests you need to hit the military places if u need the extra slots but once persistence is working right that's not going to be so important - it depends on how you play the game really but the items I listed are pretty much essential over an AK or M4.

-Removed-

maybe he just likes to watch the beautiful sky, have a nice conversation with likeminded People, do some roleplay, tinker with the engine and freaking out cuz his 880GTX sli is just drawing Magical Pictures on his Screen!

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

The best stuff is an

Axe,

Can Opener,

Knife (whichever to cut up animals),

Bow or crossbow for hunting,

Cooking pot & stove (boiling water), 

Matches.

Clothing and vests you need to hit the military places if u need the extra slots but once persistence is working right that's not going to be so important - it depends on how you play the game really but the items I listed are pretty much essential over an AK or M4.

I'll have my M4 over your cooking pot and stove any day thanks. At least as the game currently stands. :D

maybe he just likes to watch the beautiful sky, have a nice conversation with likeminded People, do some roleplay, tinker with the engine and freaking out cuz his 880GTX sli is just drawing Magical Pictures on his Screen!

u make me puke.  COD-scum-kos-kiddy

I fairness, I think Frank is role playing a bit...

-Removed-

Well, being that the game is classified as a SANDBOX game.. there really is no WRONG way to play it. Some people would rather make a beeline for the nearest high spawn rate of military loot, then head for Elektro to open fire on anything that moves. That doesn't appeal to everyone. I'll take the solitary gameplay over that any day of the week. Living off the land is more fun in my opinion.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 1

Well, being that the game is classified as a SANDBOX game.. there really is no WRONG way to play it. Some people would rather make a beeline for the nearest high spawn rate of military loot, then head for Elektro to open fire on anything that moves. That doesn't appeal to everyone. I'll take the solitary gameplay over that any day of the week. Living off the land is more fun in my opinion.

I agree with you in principle, but my experience is that you can quite easily live peacefully in solitude on full servers.

I personally don't see the point in playing on empty/near empty servers, because to do so would remove a lot of the tension in the game, which is part of the appeal for me. It also feels like you're missing out on a part of the experience, which is interacting with other players. I am extremely cowardly when it comes to meeting other players, and I am a terrible shot. But I would never want to eliminate the possibility of getting murdered, because that's part of the scenario - the danger. Besides, I tend to find that away from the larger cities and military areas the majority of those you meet are not hostile.

Trying to live off the land as a hermit forest-dweller is more entertaining and challenging when you know there are other people roaming about, not less. I always play on the fullest servers I can get on, and I'd highly recommend it, even to those who don't want to play at soldiers - especially to those people, in fact. Being the hunted is just, if not more, exciting and interesting than being the hunter, for one thing; for another, friendly player interactions, when you can get them, are the best thing about the whole game.

• Like 3

Well gents I'm 55 and agree with you.

I will be starting another server (private), the one I have now is public and I'm still bound to it until the time runs out. And I have to convince the wife. ;) 

I don't want the edge taken out but I'm so sick of the kos mentality. If you're gonna kill me have the nutsack to talk to me first.

Please let us know when the private server is online.  You should also not post any IP address on the forum but send all info via PM instead.

I see from your profile that you're from Iowa.  If the private server is in the US then I'll have a hard time joining it because of high ping. 

I'm rather looking for European servers in which to play.  For info, in this thread there's the IP of a European PvE server (I haven't tried it yet): http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213713-usc-private-shard-server-now-available/ 

Edited by Robert Neville
  • Like 2

If I want hand to hand combat I fire up my ZX81 or VIC-20 and enjoy some 8-bit goodness.

Oi vey, I wish I still had my VIC-20. I was so excited when my dad took me down to get the 16K memory expansion card...

Filter [MCY] GayBar

We are from uk. We are old. At the minute have an open private shard. If we get enough interest we will up the slots and whitelist. Persistance is off at the minute as it's not working, but eventually we hope to get a nice community that enjoys surviving. We mostly try and talk first, but on a Saturday night with a few bevvies people get twitchy...come and join us as we are shit too :)

Small vid showing a typical night.

Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2g1rhwTLcix6bVqDx8iNdA

• Like 6

I enjoy the game very much and am content to fight zombies and explore. I only feel truly safe (well, except for the zombies) when I am the only person on a server. For some reason it's hard to log on to an empty server and so I have to settle for one with a couple or so people on it. I have been on servers with only one other guy and damned if I dont bump into him. Anyway, I love the game.

I try to avoid the really full servers as they are magnets to hackers. But servers with 15-20 people on them seem to be a sweet spot for interactivity with other players and less of a chance to run into a hacker.

Once you get more time in the game you'll start warming up to the idea of fuller servers as the game really doesn't begin until you start interacting with other people.  I tend to run solo 99% of the time so you get used to it and play a different style than you would if you were in a group. I prefer that style more than group play.

There's definitely a large learning curve for the game in order to survive in different play styles, but once you are more comfortable with the game you'll start looking for interactivity with other players.

• Like 1

I must admit, I am old and I gravitate to the full servers.  Do I suck? Only if the person I encounter is better then me. :rolleyes:

Edited by huf757

Filter [MCY] GayBar

We are from uk. We are old. At the minute have an open private shard. If we get enough interest we will up the slots and whitelist. Persistance is off at the minute as it's not working, but eventually we hope to get a nice community that enjoys surviving. We mostly try and talk first, but on a Saturday night with a few bevvies people get twitchy...come and join us as we are shit too :)

Small vid showing a typical night.

Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2g1rhwTLcix6bVqDx8iNdA

+ beans for the rave @ 10:57 pmsl

I'll be 60 next month but I act like a kid,I don't want want to grow up.This game is the first online game I've ever played,I dont care if you kill me cause I will spawn again,you can't get rid of me cause I will spawn again.A lot of this game is about the hunt and the hunted,and living on the edge is exciting,not knowing if the guy you just helped is going to ax you in the end.This game will teach you to be street smart through experience trial and error.It does allow you to role play anyway you want too.I think the way you play says a lot about what kind of person you are,but that is not set in stone.I think it would be really cool to join up with people on this forum,start our own clan....but i'm in the US.I am onedog I will always be your friend Hoka Hey it is always a good day to die.

• Like 6

Hoka Hey it is always a good day to die.

In deference to your advanced years (you're only a few months older than me) I'd politely suggest it's always a better day for someone else to die.

I play on all server pops, it really depends on my mood at any given day.

As far as light to meduim servers go between say 1 to 15 players, I tend to travel, explore and loot on those. Honestly sometimes I want it alittle laid back, but with chance encounters. I some times just enjoy seeing the sites, and doing some of the other stuff the game has to offer, hunting and stuff like that. I also play solo about 80% of the time, so it safer.

As far has heavy servers go, I will log onto those when I am quite frankly looking for pvp. Or looking for encounters. Which is common. Looking for trouble. I generally play on high pops when I want dayz not to be laid back, and be more of what dayz is known for. A pretty intence pvp experience.

The reality is, really on high pops going point a to b or even being in a city could be just as dead as a low pop. I have been on high pops and only seen one or two players in a several hour session. I really think sometimes players gravitate toward an one area of the map.

Sometime's I hear jerk offs on here dising people who play on low pops, or saying there hopers. Hoping is not nearly as big an issue as it was say 6 or 7 mothes ago, not even close. To me people who say stuff like that on here are ass hats pretty much. Don't expect me to buy the fact your some kind of hardened player for saying dumb shit like that.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 4

Yes I will agree with you on that one,I don't look forward to it but if it happens so be it.By the way I need a tutorial..how do I reply to just your answer..like in your answer to me you have part of my quote above your answer? I don't see a tab  only at the top of the page?not to any particular person( sorry i'm a noob at this.)

Every single person in this thread is the kind of player I wish I could meet in the game lol.

you said it friend have beans.

Filter [MCY] GayBar

Seems fun.  Would you let me join it?  Please PM me if yes.  

I'll be turning on the new server in Jan.

Discussed it with the wife and after the holidays I'm good to go. I'll be sending PM's to all of you that want them.

No KOS will be the #1 rule. However there will be PVP zones, where all is fair.

• Like 3

I used to play on populated servers on the mod when it was fun. After a bunch of hack attacks and retarded server admins that would throw bitchfits when we got in firefights and they died I decided to go to low pop. Then on Dayz SA it was mostly performance issues. It was and still is- enough of an annoyance on my crappy internet that I can tell when someone is around me because i'll lag a bit- although in the last patch its gotten alot better.

I for one never really get tired of exploring and play a little bit with every patch update. I also like the feel of being the "the last man on earth" type of deal when theres like 10 or less players on the servers. I actually think that adds to the game play. On higher pop servers it always feels like you're running into people since everybody goes to the same locations in a loop since we always spawn on the coast.

If we spawned at random places on the map I'd be more inclined to play a full pop server because you'd never know what you're going to get and its not the long run inland to find some loot

• Like 1

I only feel truly safe

Here's your problem... You think you should feel safe.

• Like 1

I'll be 60 next month but I act like a kid,I don't want want to grow up.This game is the first online game I've ever played,I dont care if you kill me cause I will spawn again,you can't get rid of me cause I will spawn again.A lot of this game is about the hunt and the hunted,and living on the edge is exciting,not knowing if the guy you just helped is going to ax you in the end.This game will teach you to be street smart through experience trial and error.It does allow you to role play anyway you want too.I think the way you play says a lot about what kind of person you are,but that is not set in stone.I think it would be really cool to join up with people on this forum,start our own clan....but i'm in the US.I am onedog I will always be your friend Hoka Hey it is always a good day to die.I

HAHA this is asome!

I think its cool your playing ya ole geezer :beans:  :thumbsup: Did you play pong back in the Day?

I'm 37 and prob one of the 1st generations to group up on video games. Me and my brother were like the kids from ET, we had BMX bikes we would ride around LOL I remember the early 80s going next store to play on my nabors atari. I was only like 7 or 8, it I remember it seemed so cool at the time. Pac Man, such a crude game, but still a blast to play even today. Donkey Kong we had on the comodore 64. Yes kids the CPU only had 64kB of ram! :o  LOL. My moms boyfreind at the time was a really into software, you know when really was a ware, a gaint floppy disk. Hey got us 100s of bootleged games, and we became the coolests kids in the naborhood. I remember we had a modem too, and our freind down the street we would call him and talk to him on his CPU....early chat.  I have been a gamer ever since. There was something magical about tech back then. War Games I watched prob 1200 times back then on VCR lol Now it almost seems too easy.

When I'm your age and even older I will still play video games, because its just what I do! You should get an ole geezer clan going. I'll be your window into the  hipster world hahahahaha. You must understand your enemy my freind, your playing against hipsters I tells you. There trying to take over the world with puure irony alone!

Edited by CJFlint