ob1korobi

Tent and Drybag Testing - Good News For Persistence *Updated*

11/16 Update - http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/214845-tent-and-drybag-testing-good-news-for-persistence-updated/?p=2162077

11/13 Update - http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/214845-tent-testing-persistence-works-so-far/?p=2159656

Please see update links above to this post.

So yesterday a friend and I spent a few hours gathering supplies and searching for tents. We found two fairly quickly in the high rises. We wanted to test how persistence is working since it has only been a few days since .50 stable and there has not been many posts on this yet. Sorry in advance since I don't normally post like this or have very much experience doing any type of game testing because my patience runs low usually.

We found a suitable place to place our tents

pewrh2Z.jpg

Next we wanted to place as much loot of different varieties inside to see what stuck around and also made some outside of tent items (fireplace kit) to see if that would stick around as well after a restart. We also wanted to see if containers that could hold loot could be placed inside the tent and retain their loot as well throughout a restart.

1hBHWJF.jpg5i47xKA.jpgjSOr0EA.jpg

I am happy to report that after two server restarts that all loot was accounted for except for the fireplaces which I had a feeling would not make it. Suggestion to keeping fireplaces is going to obviously be, store them in your tent until needed. They will store without the log in them.

This was accomplished at 1130pm PST. I will be checking back after work today to see the progress in this and then update this post. Crossing my fingers but from what I have read in a few other posts, I have good hopes.

Few notes on the tent itself after server restart:

1.Tent will always be open and cannot be closed - I have not tried emptying and redeploying tent yet but I will give that a shot.

3.Items in tent are invisible/do not display in tent (Known bug) but after added an item everything reappears again

3.Items in tent are all rearranged (Known bug)

Edited by BigB055
  • Like 8

well actually after a couple days it disappears ive done the test myself multiple times, it isn't a safe way to store gear from what i know, and the devs haven't really answered this question if it is reliable yet

Edited by over9000nukez

well actually after a couple days it disappears ive done the test myself multiple times, it isn't a safe way to store gear from what i know, and the devs haven't really answered this question if it is reliable yet

Have you done this since .50 has been released as stable?

Also what I am wondering is if you pack up the tent and just move it around a few feet every day or two, will it stick around? It's like feeding the meter.

Good test. You did what I would have done.

You know, if I could find a tent in the first place... <_<

Yes, finding an actual Tent, that isn't on Youtube would be nice...but then I'd need a bigger pack to carry it.

Yes, finding an actual Tent, that isn't on Youtube would be nice...but then I'd need a bigger pack to carry it.

It fits in the mountain pack. Takes only 6x6 vertically.

Update:

My friend logged in tonight to check our spot and no tents. Sort of disappointing given I had read a few times that tents stuck around for over 24 hours easily. I am going to try and contact the server admins to get more info on the server. Maybe there was some sort of reset. Maybe even someone came across the tents. They wouldn't be able to haul all of that away though but maybe over a few trips. They were very well hidden. Definitely off any beaten path that I had ever been on.

Update:

My friend logged in tonight to check our spot and no tents. Sort of disappointing given I had read a few times that tents stuck around for over 24 hours easily. I am going to try and contact the server admins to get more info on the server. Maybe there was some sort of reset. Maybe even someone came across the tents. They wouldn't be able to haul all of that away though but maybe over a few trips. They were very well hidden. Definitely off any beaten path that I had ever been on.

I used a tent after .50 and it dissapeared after 1-1/2 days.  At this point tents might not be the best way to do things at the moment given that items are not degrading at all.  So for now I'm just throwing everything on the ground somewhere and calling that a base

I've had my vests dissapear from the ground and inside backpacks since .50, but no backpacks are dissapearing.

Tents don't stay longer than a day for me as the servers wipes all the time and my character got wiped 5 times in 3 days.

Since 0.50 we´ve established a base with 3 Tents and 10 Backpacks .. lasted 3 days exactly
I´ve used every item every 20 hours so it´s "updated"
Today..EVERYTHING is gone.

Since i do not think that a clan took it
(it was damn well hidden &just tooo much stuff to carry away)

imho, persistence is STILL broken  :(

Edited by dawud
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone can trust persistence at this stage until release, which I'm sure there will be another wipe just before that day (At least I hope so)

I have seen the Warning Notice notice shown in red on entering the game that on Wednesdays all servers reboot for maintainence and any deployed tends will be lost !!! Sadly this will mean the loss of most of the stored gear and packing the tent will mean removing the contents and filling almost all of your storage space with the tent itself. It will come down to deciding which you concider to be more valuable... the tent or it's contents.

Personally I have yet to find a  tent in standalone but I must admit I and extremely keen to get one. I look forward to the time when I can have a little hidden camp with all the room I need to store the more bulky items needed for living off the land like a bow and arrows, fishing pole, butchered meat etc. I seriously want to get away from spend all my time trudging from one place to another looking for cans or food and weapons and spend more time hunting, fishing and cooking. So instead of killing and being killed at NWA I can patrol and guard my little hideaway from those who would raid it.

Sadly, Look as I might I have found nothing as yet and it would seem that even if I found one, as things stand at the moment my joy would most likely be short lived. But I guess one can always hope and dream :rolleyes:

Edited by FishGuts4Lunch

The thing, which makes me think that the whole persistance thing is not only subject to change
but also more or less not really working atm, is that it was friday when we sat up the base
and mondayevening when suddenly ALL disappeared .

i did read the message about wednesday though. 

Edited by dawud

I have seen the Warning Notice notice shown in red on entering the game that on Wednesdays all servers reboot for maintainence and any deployed tends will be lost !!! Sadly this will mean the loss of most of the stored gear and packing the tent will mean removing the contents and filling almost all of your storage space with the tent itself. It will come down to deciding which you concider to be more valuable... the tent or it's contents.

Personally I have yet to find a  tent in standalone but I must admit I and extremely keen to get one. I look forward to the time when I can have a little hidden camp with all the room I need to store the more bulky items needed for living off the land like a bow and arrows, fishing pole, butchered meat etc. I seriously want to get away from spend all my time trudging from one place to another looking for cans or food and weapons and spend more time hunting, fishing and cooking. So instead of killing and being killed at NWA I can patrol and guard my little hideaway from those who would raid it.

Sadly, Look as I might I have found nothing as yet and it would seem that even if I found one, as things stand at the moment my joy would most likely be short lived. But I guess one can always hope and dream :rolleyes:

The thing, which makes me think that the whole persistance thing is not only subject to change

but also more or less not really working atm, is that it was friday when we sat up the base

and mondayevening when suddenly ALL disappeared .

i did read the message about wednesday though. 

Being that is is only Tuesday for me here today and the weekend when this took place doesn't really relate to the Wednesday wipe message. Individual server owners may be playing with their own servers as well. IA (It's Alpha). Oh well. Experiment completed.

Going to be placing one of the two tents I have tonight and will be stocking it in much of the same manner as the previous test. 

I also noticed that dry bags and packs (Like others have noted) work very well for storing items. They can last easily several hours which I tested last night and checked on this morning> I am sure that with the wipe though that they will be gone when I get home from work. I still want to check for myself as to how long they will last.

Update. I was only able to get in game for about an hour today and after several server restarts overnight and the server maintenance (Which I assumed happened on Wednesday earlier in my day), my drybags were still there! Still stocked with goodies. I moved them to another spot but I was still very surprised that they are still there. This is good news I believe.

Note to add and theory (Can't confirm this without dev help) - When a server resets and persistent loot repsawns, does the server/hive try to place it exactly in the same spot as before the restart? My theory on one of the reasons tents disappear is that if the tent is already placed in an area that is too tight to fit and you manage to make to deploy in that tight space, ie. a slope, in between trees, close to another tent, it might delete itself when the server/hive tries to repopulate your loot and the tent moves slightly causing a conflict. Thoughts?

Edited by BigB055
  • Like 1

Update since the 12th. My dry bags have stayed and I have since found 3 tents. I have moved them to a good spot to test them out. It's been 4 days and everything is still intact. I'm confident that without a server reset that the tents would stay for a very long time. I'll add to this again later but for now I'm pretty sure tents work fine other than the inventory not showing up unless added to. I've also noticed a glitch with fireplace kits. I have three fireplace kits in one tent. One of them was used to cook food. I extinguished it and put the kit in the tent. I later revisited my camp and notice the kit was in the place I had it lit. As soon as I moved inventory around in the tent, the kit that was outside of the tent reappeared in the tent and disappeared outside.

• Like 1

Not only cant i find a tent for the life of me but also whould want to spare me the dissapointment of the tent beign gone. DayZ Alpha is a cruel Mistress as it stands...

Question, slightly offtopic:

First picture - mountain W of Zeleno?

This was our first camp location and it was North of Dubky somewhere. It wasn't very far from town. Edited by BigB055

18 days with 6 tents and haven't lost one on a private fragnet shard. :)

placed a tent onto a private shard over a week ago and its still there.

moved the tent a bit a couple of days ago which fixed the not being able to close the door bug.

18 days with 6 tents and haven't lost one on a private fragnet shard. :)

placed a tent onto a private shard over a week ago and its still there.

moved the tent a bit a couple of days ago which fixed the not being able to close the door bug.

Sweet. I guess I need to find a private server to play on. I assume private servers are not subject to the weekly Wednesday maintenance that the public servers go through?