SmashT

Stable Branch - 0.50 Discussion

I noticed something weird yesterday. After my pants got ruined from falling off a roof and finding a nice firemans jacket that was also ruined that I decided to wear, I didn't get hot anymore :)

I noticed something weird yesterday. After my pants got ruined from falling off a roof and finding a nice firemans jacket that was also ruined that I decided to wear, I didn't get hot anymore :)

Yeah, ruined clothes provides little to no thermal insulation

Yeah, ruined clothes provides little to no thermal insulation

Killa, you are not getting hot, granted, but are you getting cooling, or cold ?

Bcoz if you are not, thats a bug, for real.

(I could provide details, if mods allow, in simple explanation, still require usage at least some programming terminology.)

Killa, you are not getting hot, granted, but are you getting cooling, or cold ?

Bcoz if you are not, thats a bug, for real.

(I could provide details, if mods allow, in simple explanation, still require usage at least some programming terminology.)

Not necessarily. The current weather in game is generally pretty warm and with the addition of running around (which raises body temp) I could see that he could maintain temp.

• Like 1

Watching this game develop is one of the coolest video game things I have ever been involved with.

That being said, for DayZ to approach the vision it's creator/s set out to realize, it has a massive amount of work and endless complicated problems to overcome.

All things considered, this is the best stable release to date (IMO).

Sometimes I try to imagine what this game might be like when it's done and at the very least I know it will likely not resemble what we play today.

Definitely curious to see what awaits in next experimental run as well, thanks devs!

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 2

So, what's the status of persistence on 0.50? I've been trying to experiment with tents since experimental and it only seems to stay on a server for a few restarts before they just disappear. I figured this was because of server crashes. do we have any official statement about this? (note: I have done this experiment on multiple servers and placed the tents in relatively anonymous locations to prevent theft)

So, what's the status of persistence on 0.50? I've been trying to experiment with tents since experimental and it only seems to stay on a server for a few restarts before they just disappear. I figured this was because of server crashes. do we have any official statement about this? (note: I have done this experiment on multiple servers and placed the tents in relatively anonymous locations to prevent theft)

Same here. Had five backpacks full of loot hidden under different trees, today it just dissapered, all of them... And I 100% sure that nobody could find all of them. I just don't understand is it a super nano way to develop a game just made 50% of one feature then switch to another one and forgot the previous one. Within 3 stable patches no stable working persistence, no official statement or explanation, just a word from one of developers "structure of persistence has changed and now you lost everything again". Instead of making persistence workable we can plant useless tomatoes... I love this game, but this is getting annoying when you spent a couple of hours to make a camp after work and then it dissapers. 

Same here. Had five backpacks full of loot hidden under different trees, today it just dissapered, all of them... And I 100% sure that nobody could find all of them. I just don't understand is it a super nano way to develop a game just made 50% of one feature then switch to another one and forgot the previous one. Within 3 stable patches no stable working persistence, no official statement or explanation, just a word from one of developers "structure of persistence has changed and now you lost everything again". Instead of making persistence workable we can plant useless tomatoes... I love this game, but this is getting annoying when you spent a couple of hours to make a camp after work and then it dissapers. 

We're seeing the same thing on my server. I've communicated to folks we're leaving persistence on and when they found stuff missing, they kinda tripped on me on TS. I explained we didn't change anything but i'll see what I can do to get the stuff back. I have an option to restore our storage file, but I have no idea at this point how far it will go back and how often I can do this? Trying our hardest to keep persistence on for everybody and not get this stuff deleted so if there is any input, please PM me or reply to my server thread. 

I've had my camp on a third person server for 3 days now and no problem whatsoever. Seriously, best you can do right now is not getting attached to your gear and don't leave anything of actual value in your camp if you are experiencing trouble with persistence.

I think 1st person camps are for some reason more susceptible to deletion, I don't know if this is just me though.

Be patient, sure it sucks sometimes but eventually the devs will figure it out. Until then keep calm and hang in there.

I just don't understand is it a super nano way to develop a game just made 50% of one feature then switch to another one and forgot the previous one.

DayZ is a new kind of game...and therefore has many new features that are being created as the development moves forward. It DOES make sense to me that the team may work on a feature for a period of time and then stop working on that feature when they have brought it to the point where it may impact some other feature (possible even a feature that has not yet been implemented yet)...so they leave the feature at 50% while they work on those other features...and then they come back to it later when they can integrate them together.

The alternative is to develop a feature to 100% only to discover later that elements of that feature have to be changed...and thus wasting development time...and not only that, to have to wade through all the complainers that wine about why the dev team did not do it right the first time.

I had a camp on PL 2-12 and 2-1 servers, those servers are the most suitable for me because of low ping. Trying to be patient atm.

Well it's hot either, since you can get cold. 

I removed my thick jacket, wearing only the white t shirt. I would get hot but not ever heat. Other example : I was running in full on rain, without water proof clothes and still was dark orange hot.

Well, it is difficult to say without knowing what time of the year the servers are set to (as well as the time of the day) when you did your little experiment.

Chernarus is based on the Czech Republic which seldom gets above 65 degrees F in the summer, so one would think that it would be pretty easy to get cool when wearing just a T-Shirt.

However, the devs may also still be doing testing on temps and player reactions...and just because the Czech Republic does not normally get about 65 does not mean that the devs did not include the ability to set the servers a lot higher. Maybe they raised the temp range to something like Florida or Arizona in the summer to see what the effect would be.

Personally, I do think something is off in stable with the character's core temp. When I played yesterday, my character was decked out in basic gear that included pristine hunter pants and a wool coat. Despite that, he started shivering and eventually became cold. Once I was able to find an axe and start a fire, all of a sudden he was hot. Even after shedding some gear and running around in the rain for a time, it would not move away from hot. Unfortunately, the character was in the NW where rivers are more sparse so I was unable to try laying in a river to see if that did anything.

Edited by RedDogMT

Well, it is difficult to say without knowing what time of the year the servers are set to (as well as the time of the day) when you did your little experiment.

We do know what time of year it is. September. Said by devs themselves. 

I've had something strange happen to me on more than a couple of occasions and not because of wipes or crashes but simply because I logged out.. Only to join the server again and my character is gone.. I've had to restart at least 6 times in the last week and not because I have died.Simply logged out maybe gone to the bathroom or grabbed a bite to eat only to log back in and damn I get to do it all again... 

I know I know.. Dont get attached to your gear right!!!! 

Ehh Not really gripeing I just hope that these kind of things can be fixed soon...

Do have a question though.. Where oh where do I find a tent? I have looked high and low for one and I have yet to see that or a heli crash in all my exploring..

I've had something strange happen to me on more than a couple of occasions and not because of wipes or crashes but simply because I logged out.. Only to join the server again and my character is gone.. I've had to restart at least 6 times in the last week and not because I have died.Simply logged out maybe gone to the bathroom or grabbed a bite to eat only to log back in and damn I get to do it all again... 

I know I know.. Dont get attached to your gear right!!!! 

Ehh Not really gripeing I just hope that these kind of things can be fixed soon...

Do have a question though.. Where oh where do I find a tent? I have looked high and low for one and I have yet to see that or a heli crash in all my exploring..

Many skyscrapers... Not the small apps buildings but the big ones... They are a pain in the ass to search but if you search and experiment you will find an easy and quick way to spot them !! Since the patch hit, i found 3 tents so far in about 3 sessions of 2 hours search, so be ready to check a lot of rooms !!!!

Picked up where I left of on Regular with my crazy-geared guy just outside Elektro. Naturally, within two minutes of setting foot in the city I get sniped off the office rooftop. But, silver lining, now I can test .50 with a bambi, instead of with Rambo Q. Schwarzenegger.

I spawned just outside the northern outskirts of Berezino. The first thing I noticed, food is a lot scarcer. Which is a good thing, as it feels I am doing more than just running from door to door picking up equipment. Survival is now a priority, and finding useful loot feels like a small victory every time. Got a splitting axe, wool coat, cargo pants, hiking boots and Ushanka hat, and a kiddie briefcase, and every one of them is like a glorious trophy. Food and drink wise I've found two cans of spaghetti, one can of sardines, a Pipsi and a Kvass. Just enough to keep me from getting too hungry/thirsty. I've stopped sprinting everywhere to conserve energy. I found a lockpicking set, but haven't tried it out yet.

Now, some bugs/glitches I've encountered. Sometimes when putting items on the ground, they disappear. I lost a spare axe I carried in hand when dropping it to drink a Pipsi, when I wanted to pick it up again it was gone. Same for when I swapped my flat cap for the Ushanka. Flat cap just disappeared.

Also, there seems to be some lag when performing actions, such as eating or apple picking. After finishing a can of food, it takes 5-10 seconds until it fully registers and I can continue doing stuff.

Random sounds are back and fiercer than ever! I thought I was being chased by a compulsive ammo sorter for a while there, I mean, it was just all the time!

All in all, I'm enjoying .50. Some hotfixes are needed to sort out the worst bugs, but once that is done, I think it'll be a huge step towards where DayZ should be going. Survival becomes tougher, which is excellent. 

We do know what time of year it is. September. Said by devs themselves. 

I recall a build or two ago where they changed the time of year from the norm to the height of summer. The results was that a large number of players were dying hyperthermia. this was the only time that I have seen that they commented on time of year.

When did they say that it was September? Was it for .50?

Also, my point was that we do not necessarily know all of the parameters that are in effect. I do think that there is a bug or balance needed related to the character's core temp, but the current 'issues' could also be by design. Only commentary by a dev could really say for certain.

Edited by RedDogMT

I see a lot of "bug reporting" in this thread. Are all those of you who write about bugs and such that you experiencing in the game after the update also reporting them on the feedback tracker?

You can find it here:

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/my_view_page.php

Does anyone know how CPR has been implemented? Is it realistic, and used as a poor man's defibrillator? Or is it unrealistic and used as a poor man's epipen?

Also, is it just me or is everything pristine now?

I recall a build or two ago where they changed the time of year from the norm to the height of summer. The results was that a large number of players were dying hyperthermia. this was the only time that I have seen that they commented on time of year.

When did they say that it was September? Was it for .50?

Also, my point was that we do not necessarily know all of the parameters that are in effect. I do think that there is a bug or balance needed related to the character's core temp, but the current 'issues' could also be by design. Only commentary by a dev could really say for certain.

Recently they said it will be September now, was December before. 

Also, is it just me or is everything pristine now?

New, unlooted items... Yes. But everything degrades usual. Still, i prefer the varied states of decay.

New, unlooted items... Yes. But everything degrades usual. Still, i prefer the varied states of decay.

Not so sure lol, still rocking them Green Combat Boots in pristine condition for more than 50k's of running lol !!!!

In my opinion shoes degrade too fast. Having to replace pristine military boosts every two days is not how it should be. 

• Like 1

I think it should actually be the opposite. Now, I am just throwing around ideas here and it's purely my personal opinion, doesn't mean that I'm claiming that your perception is wrong. But let me explain.

If an infected in the lands of Chernarus serves no other purpose other than eating people's brains, than surely he's not quite up to speed with his brain anymore. This would mean that he's not really the smartest or even thinks anymore at all. The only thing that is left would be his instincts. These instincts dictate his behavior and thus he's out for a hunt. As soon as he sees movement (may that be a cow or a human, he doesn't care) he will run to see what's going on. If it's nothing, he will turn around again, but as he is approaching he can clearly make out that it's something he can eat, thus continues to engage.

You followed the same path of thought, though you may not realize - but this is exactly what has happened here and why it (in my personal opinion) shouldn't need much tweaking.

What needs the most tweaking is how they deal with losing line of sight - they don't lose it quick enough. Currently, they don't lose line of sight at all when you're in close proximity. You can weave through and around buildings and they will simply know where you are. And, if a zed spots me from a few hundred meters away, fine... but, if I've lost line of sight with him as he closes that distance, he shouldn't know where I am - tucked away behind a completely different building. He shouldn't run right to me. If I go in a building, he shouldn't follow me around the building on the outside when I'm upstairs unless I'm making a ton of noise.

What they should do when they lose line of sight is continue running to the point at which LoS was lost and then do their creepy look around, then slowly hunt for the thing they saw - eventually giving up. Currently, the mod handles LOS better, in my opinion.

I do also feel that their senses are a bit super-human at the moment. I'll hear a zed aggro, turn and have to wait a few seconds before I can even see it. The problem is that, we the players have things like foliage, leaves, bushes that we can't see through perfectly. The zeds don't have that issue, so their sight should be dumbed down a little to compensate for the fact that they are computer simulations.

Edited by entspeak
  • Like 1

Is it me or is growing tomatos a bit OP right now? Found a seed pack so I decided to give farming ago, long story short, I spent 8 of my 35 tomato seeds, and now have 104 tomatos lying in a greenhouse.