SmashT

Stable Branch - 0.50 Discussion

Atm DayZ is a 32 Bit process and uses max ~2GB RAM. This will change after it is compiled as a native 64 Bit assembly. The only problem I have is, DayZ acually uses 2 GB RAM due to a memory leak. Gameplay tends to get a bit wonky if after 10 minutes if system dialogs pop up and ask you to close programs... ;)

that's what happens to me....because not enough memory :-/

A my friend told me that and i hardly beleive it too..

Don't listen to him. 

that's what happens to me....because not enough memory :-/

More memory won't solve your problem here, I'm afraid.

Atm DayZ is a 32 Bit process and uses max ~2GB RAM. This will change after it is compiled as a native 64 Bit assembly. The only problem I have is, DayZ acually uses 2 GB RAM due to a memory leak. Gameplay tends to get a bit wonky if after 10 minutes if system dialogs pop up and ask you to close programs... ;)

Edit: I only see this dialog because I disabled pagefile usage. With pagefile enabled it would showel everything there and slow down the system over the next 30 minutes or so...

Do you really know what you are saying? Can you post your source of information for memory leak and 2 GB limit?

character reset on server restart confirmed! :) quick relog to other server wont bring it back. Be carefull chosing a server to play - u need to log off 5 minutes before server restart to save ur progress. cheers!

However overall patch is great! Nice fps increase (my mate with amd cpu can play with suitable fps now), shadows dont flicker like they used to, tonns of loot, zeds seems to be a little bit more adequate (however some still can spot player from 300 metes or behind the walls)

Do you really know what you are saying? Can you post your source of information for memory leak and 2 GB limit?

No idea about the memory leak, but 32bit applications can only use up to 2 GB memory by default because 32 bits can only adress 2 gigs.

damn...crashed right now....since 0.48 my game crashes and giving these messages...before patch 0.48 i did never had problems...and i don't install shits on my pc :-/

Edited by GunnyITA

damn...crashed right now....since 0.48 my game crashes and giving these messages...before patch 0.48 i did never had problems...and i don't install shits on my pc :-/

are you sure that your computer (or whatever you have installed that could be using ram) isn't taking up more than 6 gb ram somewhere else ? Dayz can only use 2 gb ram like chain reactor said , so if your computer is somehow using the other 6 or so gigs here and there it will most likely shut off dayz if it starts to use the 2 gb reserved for that ... That's my only guess as my computer runs perfect for dayz and only has 8gb of ram , but I make sure not to use any of it less it be for dayz or my operating system (although I can't think of any application that would use any ram let alone 6 gb) .

I found my FPS to be consistent but randomly it would drop every so often, even in the countryside.

Speaking of which is there some way to actually see your FPS as a statistic? Would like to see what I actually get does the game tell you or do you have to download a program to do it?

My source of information? A diploma in system informatics and 10 years of system software development. ;) Actually I just can interpret what I see, but I have a bit of experience with this kind of issues.

BI has a tool for memory allocation tracking - man@log - maybe I'll have a look at it to track down this greedy little allocator :)

Btw. the game already has allocated ~2 GB of RAM when I hit the main menu.

Edited by Agilov

Speaking of which is there some way to actually see your FPS as a statistic? Would like to see what I actually get does the game tell you or do you have to download a program to do it?

I think you'd have to download a program like fraps :/ but you can get a trial version of fraps that only let's you record 30 seconds , I would assume it would show you your fps ... Believe me though it's depressing sometimes , I have a 1,500$ rig and even though I can hit 60 a lot , I hit 15-20 just as much ... So when dayz hits the end of beta I know I will be MUCH happier with the frames but for a highish level computer , dayz has yet to be "unplayable laggy" for me .

EDIT : just a quick irrelevant fact here , we just broke our record of longest discussion for a one patch... experimental .50 had 108 pages of discussion !! That's the longest ever in dayz sa history hooray !! lol sorry just had to let everyone know .

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 3

I think you'd have to download a program like fraps :/ but you can get a trial version of fraps that only let's you record 30 seconds , I would assume it would show you your fps ... Believe me though it's depressing sometimes , I have a 1,500$ rig and even though I can hit 60 a lot , I hit 15-20 just as much ... So when dayz hits the end of beta I know I will be MUCH happier with the frames but for a highish level computer , dayz has yet to be "unplayable laggy" for me .

EDIT : just a quick irrelevant fact here , we just broke our record of longest discussion for a one patch... experimental .50 had 108 pages of discussion !! That's the longest ever in dayz sa history hooray !! lol sorry just had to let everyone know .

I thought if you use that overwolf program in Teamspeak it would show you your frames?

• Like 1

I found my FPS to be consistent but randomly it would drop every so often, even in the countryside.

3rd party software. You can benchmark in most, were it will measure you max min and avg fps over given period if time. 

are you sure that your computer (or whatever you have installed that could be using ram) isn't taking up more than 6 gb ram somewhere else ? Dayz can only use 2 gb ram like chain reactor said , so if your computer is somehow using the other 6 or so gigs here and there it will most likely shut off dayz if it starts to use the 2 gb reserved for that ... That's my only guess as my computer runs perfect for dayz and only has 8gb of ram , but I make sure not to use any of it less it be for dayz or my operating system (although I can't think of any application that would use any ram let alone 6 gb) .

Actually i do have only STEAM, AVAST (not scanning), Firefox with this page forum open, and TS3 activated....nothing else.

Task manager says 25% memory using and 0-3% CPU

AMD FX 8350 (octacore) 4.0 ghz

8 GB RAM CORSAIR VENGEANGE

ATI 7870

Win 7 ultimate 64 bit, installed on SSD HD

Steam and DAYZ installed on regular HD.

That's all :-/ ...this system should Blowout Dayz...but on reports there are people with even better PCs than mine and having same problems. I keep receive notifications on my email about people getting fps drop with average PCs.

Edited by GunnyITA

My source of information? A diploma in system informatics and 10 years of system software development. ;) Actually I just can interpret what I see, but I have a bit of experience with this kind of issues.

BI has a tool for memory allocation tracking - man@log - maybe I'll have a look at it to track down this greedy little allocator :)

Btw. the game already has allocated ~2 GB of RAM when I hit the main menu.

yep, but 32 applications can be compiled with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE and the process will be able to address 3 GB on Windows 32 and 4 GB on Windows 64. I think DayZ can pass this 2 GB limit and I have played for hours and I am almost sure there is no memory leak, but who knows...

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx)

Edited by lucianpin

Played many hours already since 0.50, really liking it so far especially that we can now have persistence, harvest, Animal baits etc.

Maybe one negative point would be that it seems the game spawns too many items so it makes the game a bit too easy but I have no doubt this is temporary.

Edit: Not like I mind having "many items" around but its just that right now, death have little impact / penalty which I believe shouldn't be the case.

Edited by V0rador

Actually i do have only STEAM, AVAST (not scanning), Firefox with this page forum open, and TS3 activated....nothing else.

Try disabling AVAST for a session and look if it changes something.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

depending on how the 32 application is made, it can address more than 2 GB.

Thats why i said "by default". I know there are ways to make it use more.

Try disabling AVAST for a session and look if it changes something.

Thats why i said "by default". I know there are ways to make it use more.

I was meaning you/we don't know how DayZ was made.... this information cannot be verified

Does anyone know if the S3V is in? I read up that its meant to be in for 0.50

In the last status report they say it is almost ready.

Does anyone know if the S3V is in? I read up that its meant to be in for 0.50

No it isn't. Where does this info come from ? Noone ever said that....

So far we have a driveable V3S with basic configuration in game along with some basic controls and our main focus now is to bring the initial implementation to the public as soon as possible.

Look at the last part of the sentence. They have it in their internal builds, not in this patch.