Sign in to follow this  
Paradiz

A real good suggestion before people move on!

Hi!

I bought this alpha game when it came on sale on steam on dec 16th 2013. And yes i bought it because i wanted developers to get more resources to produce a full game as fast as possible.

Today is 5th Niov, 2014. Dayz SA was announced in Aug 2012 saying it will be developed before the end of the year. That was 2 years ago....   i wont write the whole history (you can find it on wiki). So the game was released  as early alpha almost 1y ago as v0.28.113734 now its v0.49.124972 eventho the dev team expanded in Mar 2014 by 25 people. By this pace will the game be released as v1.0.0 in end of 2017?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the point and my suggestion!

What if instead of adding 234 different cothes 427 different weapons 78 different animals and more cities to enlarge the map size, you can actually delay all of the extra things for later and start with the core.

-Correct zombie pathing  //so they wont glitch thru walls or doors, run in weird directions

-Add some sort of transportation (bicycle, motorbikes, cars, helicopters) //1 year  of walking simulator is booring as hell

Then you can implement base building (or something similar) like it was on dayz mod epoch servers.

After that do whatevery you prefer with 1000 extra items....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nowdays nobody really cares if in next patch you can find a new type of hat or that you can sharpen some sticks or paint a gun or whatever to black color. Even if you rework the whole northern part of the map (15-30sq kms) people will not care that much.

Because of all things mentioned above servers are not that populated anymore.

Now dont get me wrong, Extra items and cool animations are awsome but not when a huge part of the original "dayz mod experience (not including bugs)" is missing.

I have enjoyed the game a bit when i was playing it (dec 2013 ~ feb 2014,   a bit in may/june 2014) mostly because of all the hype. I also reported dozzens of bugs, some of them got fixed, not all tho. But people will just move on to another game when another zombie game comes out or just stick to the arma2 and dayz mod... or they will move to other games completely.

Edited by Paradiz

Because those 1,000 items will break stuff. Add first, then test.

I've heard that apprently the devs are going to add more content first and then get to bugs and correcting.

They are working hard you know, it may not seem like it.

Just imagine what DayZ is going to look like when it's finished, just give it some time! It will be amazing.

(Also its not october anymore; it's november)

But yeah, just give it some time. Play it, try to find bugs, whenever a new patch comes out play it and support the dev team.

When the time comes, the full game, I bet all those people posting shit at the dev team will look back and be like "What the hell was I thinking?"

And of course, they are going to fix the zombies glitches.

Hell, their gonna fix everything. Just keep on waiting, lol.

Hello and welcome to the Forum,

What if instead of adding 234 different cothes 427 different weapons 78 different animals and more cities to enlarge the map size, you can actually delay all of the extra things for later and start with the core.

-Correct zombie pathing  //so they wont glitch thru walls or doors, run in weird directions

-Add some sort of transportation (bicycle, motorbikes, cars, helicopters) //1 year  of walking simulator is booring as hell

Then you can implement base building (or something similar) like it was on dayz mod epoch servers. After that do whatevery you prefer with 1000 extra items....

Sadly, this is not the way it's working, as:

• The Animators / designers aren't the one fixing bugs
  • Same goes for Map-Development
  • You can't tell a Map-Developer to go fix the Zombies.
  • It was published that adding content will have highest priority before fixing content, to make sure nothing will be broken when adding more content
  • Hopefully we will never get anything "like it was on Epoch Servers"

As far as vehicles / transportation goes - it's currently being hyped. Which is why I suggest you read up on the Dev-Tracker / -Blog first.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/138-devtracker/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/134-development-blogs-status-reports/

Vehicle Preview: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/214343-twitter-peter-vroom-vroom-vehicle-preview/

EDIT: Please don't advertise this thread by posting in other sections. This is crossposting and against the rules.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 6

DayZ SA is already an amazing game, even with a few bugs and what not,  and will only get better so stop whinging...

The amount of features the game has already at this point is awesome. Not many games can compare to DayZ SA already.

Edited by killerbyte12
  • Like 1

@whiskeytango:

-Why would additional hats or a different style of jeans ruind the game?

@MrJoe:

-Thanks i've fixed oct to nov. :)

@kichilron:

-Sorry, you can deleted the topic in general discussion then.

Then you can implement base building (or something similar) like it was on dayz mod epoch servers.

Adding extra items works perfectly parallel to AI and persistence. And persistence is required for both vehicles and base building so you can hardly call those core elements. In fact its impossible to start with them because they need so much to be done first. Persistence is core - and map development is arguably core as well. Then we got the loot econemy and survival elements - core elements that are worked on but still aren't done - thats why we got the "walking simulator" - to break your bubble: vehicles won''t change much here and average movement speed is likely to go down.

Now as written above there are different team working on different things - some are more visible, some are less visible. What you are saying is something like "The art team should stop being productive until the much more complex mechanics that require lots of planning and basic elements to be done first are 100% done".

What you are saying is something like "The art team should stop being productive until the much more complex mechanics that require lots of planning and basic elements to be done first are 100% done".

Not exactly but something like that. They can focus more on the "more complex mechanics that require lots of planning and basic elements to be done first are 100% done"  (because almost 2y wasnt enought) and when that is complete they can transfer some of that "energy" to art/animations department.

Not exactly but something like that. They can focus more on the "more complex mechanics that require lots of planning and basic elements to be done first are 100% done"  (because almost 2y wasnt enought) and when that is complete they can transfer some of that "energy" to art/animations department.

Again, artists, designers and animators do not do the coding job.

Also, the "core" elements take the most time, obviously. When you look what all is needed to make a zombie appear and move ingame, you will understand that tasks like AI, networking code, loot persistance and so on take over a year of development. The most work being done so far was work on the engine to prepare the actual feature development. The pace will pick up more and more the further they proceed with this engine work.

• Like 1

@whiskeytango:

-Why would additional hats or a different style of jeans ruind the game?

Adding one thing can interfere with existing things. Finding out why and fixing it can be problematic.

Edit: idk how to put it more simply. Google game testing or software development cycle.

Edited by whiskeytango

But people will just move on to another game when another zombie game comes out or just stick to the arma2 and dayz mod... or they will move to other games completely.

We can but hope.

You should stop believe that your opinion is the opinion of everybody out there. Stop being immature please...

there is 38 guns with melee, 89 different clothes and 7 different animals. just saying. 

Because those 1,000 items will break stuff. Add first, then test.

I belive that was also the point of the OP... DON`T add more suff, focus on getting items already in the game working.

It was published that adding content will have highest priority before fixing content, to make sure nothing will be broken when adding more content

So it`s the priority that is the problem then? Adding more stuff before fixing what you already got ?

I can`t say I agree with OP on all the points, but some of you seem to miss the point (I think)

Hopefully we will never get anything "like it was on Epoch Servers"

This was added like a "when you are done with all else". ("After that do whatevery you prefer with 1000 extra items....like ".)

Rocket also says that modding will be a HUGE part of dayz, and epoch will become a mod on some servers.

Your (or mine, I don`t like epoch myself) personal opinion should not overshadow the requests from the community.

Epoch was\is a huge hit, and it would be sad to see dayz go in directions based on what a few members feel.

I love dayz, but I am not a "fanboy" ie. I am able to suggest ways to improve the product, and there are alot of room for that.

I usually don`t comment on the way a gaming company is beeing run (pointless when you don`t have all the information).

But if the issue is bugs and glitches you don`t hire 10 artist to develop new clothing. You hire coders to fix the bugs.

You should stop believe that your opinion is the opinion of everybody out there. Stop being immature please...

Seems like you deal alot in "opinions" and "feelings" yourself. OP made a few good points that are purely facts, yet you call them opinions.

Is the fact that deadlines beeing missed an opinion? Or that the game have been in development ALOT longer than promised an opinion ?

No, they are not. They are facts as pure as they can be.

Now, that`s okey, things happen in huge projects like this, and I have no problem waiting. I and hope they are getting all the support they need and they are doing a good job making this game better and better for every patch they release. But that should not stop us from trying to bring constructive criticism to the boards. Yes, some criticism is not helpfull at all, but better to get a few bad ones and a few good ones then getting a whole bunch of "yes" boys just defending every move.

We need to start beeing ALOT more respectfull to people on the community board, this is a alpha game.

Why do they sell a game that is not finished?? To get feedback from the community.

When you strike down at people giving that feedback you are missing the whole point of a alpha release.

Keep asking question, keep adding suggestions, in my opinion developers working at dayz appreciate feedback.

Best Regards.

• Like 1

The development team is split up into a variety of sections.

These sections then split up even more to smaller groups of people focusing on one part of game design.

I am sure as hell this won't be the last post of someone bitching at the development team's progress.

So it`s the priority that is the problem then? Adding more stuff before fixing what you already got ?

The priority isn't a problem at all. It's a good thing. Because you would have more work if you would do it differently. Let me explain to you:

Current priority:

• Add all stuff in
  • Takes 10 months
  • Fix all the bugs
  • Takes another 10 months

• Sums up to 20 months

The priority the community demands:

• Fix all the (current) bugs
  • Takes 5 months
  • Add more content
  • Takes 10 months
  • Fix the bugs that were introduced by adding new features and accessories

• Sums up to 25 months

Note, that my numbers are purely made up. But this is how it would like if it would work the way the community requests it. And I am very happy that the Dev-Team is not approaching it this way.

Your (or mine, I don`t like epoch myself) personal opinion should not overshadow the requests from the community.

It is just my personal oppinion and I labeled it as such. I highly doubt that the Dev-Team is going to be going that way anyway, but I also very much doubt that something I said on the side and labeled it as my oppinion will affect the Dev-Team at all.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 2

The priority isn't a problem at all. It's a good thing. Because you would have more work if you would do it differently. Let me explain to you:

Current priority:

• Add all stuff in
  • Takes 10 months
  • Fix all the bugs

• Sums up to 20 months

I agree this is the way to go.

The priority the community demands:

• Fix all the (current) bugs
  • Takes 5 months
  • Add more content
  • Takes 10 months
  • Fix the bugs that were introduced by adding new features and accessories

• Sums up to 25 months

When you say "the community", do you mean the guy who started this post? The guy who got almost everyone who replied against him ?

Hardly seems like the communty`s "demands".

But the communty IS right to question the way the dev team is working, adding vehicles was a long sought after addition, and it was to far down the list.

I belive it is important to give people addons that will keep them in game, and keep the game "hot". We all hope more and more people will buy this game so that we can get even better mechanics and items. But for that to happen the updates need to make a difference.

But it is better to do it slow and right, rather then fast and wrong.

It is just my personal oppinion and I labeled it as such. I highly doubt that the Dev-Team is going to be going that way anyway, but I also very much doubt that something I said on the side and labeled it as my oppinion will affect the Dev-Team at all.

You highly doubt the dev team is going for base-building? You are on the dayz forum team :) You should know that this is something they are aiming for, they even said that  best case scenario is base building under ground. And that is what epoch is, base building, perhaps not the safe zones and traders, but that is only a small part of it, and reading about what way Hall and the dev team want to go it seems fairly close to epoch.

What you or I say will not affect the Dev-team (I hope) but as a community we can make an impact.

Best Regards.

Hi!

I bought this alpha game when it came on sale on steam on dec 16th 2013. And yes i bought it because i wanted developers to get more resources to produce a full game as fast as possible.

Today is 5th Niov, 2014. Dayz SA was announced in Aug 2012 saying it will be developed before the end of the year. That was 2 years ago....   i wont write the whole history (you can find it on wiki). So the game was released  as early alpha almost 1y ago as v0.28.113734 now its v0.49.124972 eventho the dev team expanded in Mar 2014 by 25 people. By this pace will the game be released as v1.0.0 in end of 2017?

Back to the point and my suggestion!

Nowdays nobody really cares if in next patch you can find a new type of hat or that you can sharpen some sticks or paint a gun or whatever to black color. Even if you rework the whole northern part of the map (15-30sq kms) people will not care that much.

Because of all things mentioned above servers are not that populated anymore.

Now dont get me wrong, Extra items and cool animations are awsome but not when a huge part of the original "dayz mod experience (not including bugs)" is missing.

I have enjoyed the game a bit when i was playing it (dec 2013 ~ feb 2014,   a bit in may/june 2014) mostly because of all the hype. I also reported dozzens of bugs, some of them got fixed, not all tho. But people will just move on to another game when another zombie game comes out or just stick to the arma2 and dayz mod... or they will move to other games completely.

Alpha = Add Beta = Polish

When you say "the community", do you mean the guy who started this post? The guy who got almost everyone who replied against him ?

Hardly seems like the communty`s "demands".

He is not the first guy saying this. It's popping up on this Forum literally every day. This is mostly down to the fact that people are uninformed about how the process and development works.

You highly doubt the dev team is going for base-building?

I do not and I hope they're going for it in one way or another (or rather know).

But Basebuilding is not what Epoch is or what made Epoch. Epoch is:

• 1,000,000,000 vehicles / server
  • Ridiculous Sky-Bases
  • Rocketlaunchers
  • Gunships
  • Jets
  • Tanks
  • Donatorperks
  • Traders with unlimited Stock
  • Godmode-Safezones

And I truly hope this won't come. Epoch was never survival-esque basebuilding.

What you or I say will not affect the Dev-team (I hope) but as a community we can make an impact.

That's what I meant with my post. I hope that none of the single voices in the community (not even mine) will make a difference in a game over 2.5 million play. The community as a whole is something different, though.

• Like 1

He is not the first guy saying this. It's popping up on this Forum literally every day. This is mostly down to the fact that people are uninformed about how the process and development works.

Ah, okey. I am not as up to date about these issues as you are then :) It`s is nice that you take the time to explain it (just sad you have to do it so often)

I do not and I hope they're going for it in one way or another (or rather know).

But Basebuilding is not what Epoch is or what made Epoch. Epoch is:

• 1,000,000,000 vehicles / server
  • Ridiculous Sky-Bases
  • Rocketlaunchers
  • Gunships
  • Jets
  • Tanks
  • Donatorperks
  • Traders with unlimited Stock
  • Godmode-Safezones

We have def played on different epoch servers :) (and I tried a few)

The few I tried had base building and traders. No tanks, no gunships, no jets, no rocketlaunchers... well you get the point.

Just base building and traders. Same equipment as in the original mod.

But that only shows how talking about the same thing can mean something different.

And I truly hope this won't come. Epoch was never survival-esque basebuilding.

So do I, the way you describe your Epoch experience sounds awfull.

That's what I meant with my post. I hope that none of the single voices in the community (not even mine) will make a difference in a game over 2.5 million play. The community as a whole is something different, though.

Exactly, and what I meant with my post was that the questions are valid, and they are worth looking at. Even if there are from just one single person. (not talking about you here, 50% of my post was not directed at you anyway, but you prob got that?)

Best Regards.

Edited by Raventhorn
  • Like 1

Seems like you deal alot in "opinions" and "feelings" yourself. OP made a few good points that are purely facts, yet you call them opinions.

Is the fact that deadlines beeing missed an opinion? Or that the game have been in development ALOT longer than promised an opinion ?

I was not talking about that when I qualified it about opinions... I was talking about that :"Nowdays nobody really cares if in next patch you can find a new type of hat or that you can sharpen some sticks or paint a gun or whatever to black color."

You seems to deal a lot with "White Knight'ing" aren't you ?

Edited by massacrorBKK

You seems to deal a lot with "White Knight'ing" aren't you ?

White knight incoming ! lol

The problem is that these facts are often outdated or the deadlines are not really deadlines.

The devs stated numerous times that the huge success of the early access made them shift the focus of the development massively. They got the opportunity to greatly expand their vision what this game will become and they re-planned the entire development. So when we talk about vehicles, they initially didn't plan to re-write the entire physic model and how detailed not just the vehicles, but rather the entire vehicle system will be. It's not surprising that especially the physics rework and the implementation of it took quite some dev time.

Speaking about deadlines, people often take it as set in stone when one of the devs say things like "we aim for...." or "we think we can make it until....". Thats not a deadline, thats an assumption. Actually, i can't remember if any dev ever communicated an internal deadline to the community.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 1

*edit

Cannot delete post. So mod can just remove this.

Edited by Raventhorn