Sign in to follow this  
LucidHills

What should I keep and what should I drop/trade?

I have too much stuff that I can't carry. I can technically carry it all but it takes up a lot of room. I don't have a tent to store excess stuff so I am going to have to drop or trade some of these things. 

Here's what I've got:

• SKS painted black
    (PU scope, 2 clips and a lot of ammo)

• AK101

• Sawed-off IZH-43
    (2 reloaders)

• MP5-K
    (No magazines or ammo)

• 1911 now badly damaged
    (1 magazine and enough ammo)

• AKM
    (2 magazines, one a drum and a lot of ammo)

• 2 Flashbang grenades (I don't really want it though)

So what do you think I should keep?

It'd drop the SKS if I found an AK101 mag or an AKM. I'm not sure whether the MP5 would be better than the shotgun but again I have ammo for the shotgun already.

Also if anyone would like to trade for anything, I'm in Zelenogorsk on 1st person servers. 

UPDATE: I lost a AKM mag to persistence failing.

UPDATE: But I found an AKM Drum mag.

UPDATE: The bad news is I got in a laggy fight with a few zombies. My shotgun was ruined and my 1911 badly damaged. So I dropped the shotgun along with it's ammo but kept the loaders. The good news is I found an AKM and switched over to that seeing as I have a drum and regular magazine for it. I'm hanging onto my SKS for now but I'm thinking of dropping it as I don't really need long range. I think I'm going to try  and trade everything expect the AKM for something else. Don't know what though. Maybe an Amphibia S or a PSO1 Scope.

Edited by LucidHills

Search for AKM, AK101 magazine or MP5-K magazine, then drop everything else in that list except for the flashbang and perhaps 1911. If you really need space right now, get rid of SKS.

Edited by Powerhouse
  • Like 1

keep the shotgun and the mp5.  trade everything else for an mp5 mag. :-)  dress as a bambi, have hidden ninja firepower.

• Like 1

exact opposite advice. keep the SKS ! your's is ready to fight, fully loaded, you have a scope and a lot of ammo plus it's an awsome gun, powerfull and accurate and it perform well from 0 to 400m

drop the AK101, you have low chances to find a magazine for it. a loaded SKS worth 10 chambered AK101. drop the MP5K for the same reason, you have very low chances to find a magazine.

you don't need another weapon than the sks as it's a very polyvalent weapon, but if you feel safer with another one, choose between the 1911 and sawed-off IZH. if you had a mosin, 1911 would be a more effective choice for close/medium range.

keep the AKM mags as its a source of ammo for your sks and you can still find an AKM (even if for me SKS + PU > AKM alone).

don't forget that the rarity of a weapon doesn't make it more effective.

• Like 1

The point about weapons is making your mind up and sticking with it. Or you end up having to find (and lug around) too many varieties of ammo.

If I was you, I'd keep the 101 and (probably) the sawn-off. Here's why.

The 101 is one of the best all-round rifles in the game. It's more accurate than the AKM, even if it lacks a bit of stopping power in comparison. If you run enough barracks (Zeleno should be good for this), you will find mags. Alternatively, the MP5 should be tradeable for more than one 101 mag. And once you find or trade for a PSO, you'll have one of the best all-round weapons in the game (I prefer an M4, but it's a tough choice).

Ammo for the sawn-off is very common, it has serious short range stopping power, and with the reloaders you have, the two shot capacity issue is improved. Also, with something like a 101, your need for a CQB weapon is slightly decreased. A lot of people use M4s, for example, with no sidearm because they don't really feel they need one.

MP5 stuff is pretty rare, and usually involves looting police stations, which are pretty high risk areas. It's a great gun, but hard to support (and it eats ammo).

The 1911 is nice, but not as good as the FNX45 IMO (which has twice the mag capacity and the same or similar damage stats).

Just my view, and others will disagree.

• Like 1

Id drop everything you don't have ammo or clips or the actual gun for, and only keep the AK-101 and the 1911. Will increase space a ton, and you have everything you need, get a scope for the AK and it turns into a decently long range gun, and then you can have your sidearm for when you have to make that final stand and your out of ammo in everything else.

Remember, always save 1 for yourself :P

If it were me - I'd keep the SKS, btoh clips and the ammo. Keep the 1911 for quiter, zombie killing when in need. Also keep the flashbang for a giggle.

Hide the rest in a forest if persistence is enabled!

If I found an AKM and some AK101 mags at the same time, which gun do you think would be better?

As much as I really really love the SKS (it's so beautiful *tears up*), an AK will be so much better. I do plan to drop or trade if when I get my hands on an AK.

I think the MP5 is a beauty too but yeah. I'm thinking of trading it if I could. Though is a magazineless MP5 worth much?

If it were me - I'd keep the SKS, btoh clips and the ammo. Keep the 1911 for quiter, zombie killing when in need. Also keep the flashbang for a giggle.

Hide the rest in a forest if persistence is enabled!

Is the 1911 quiet though? it sounds pretty loud to me.

I hope to hunt down an Amphibia S for silent zombie clean up eventually. 

That's another thing. If I drop some of these guns, how long would they remain before despawning in the current .49 build and in the upcoming .50?

It's pretty quiet, I've extracted all the weapon stats and keep them up-to-date here if you're interested:

http://dayzintel.com/dayz-cheat-sheet

Technically speaking, persistence is supposed to be working on .49 but it's very touch-and-go. On experimental .50, persistence is working very well so expect that to carry over in the next stable patch (possibly tomorrow.) 

• Like 1

It's pretty quiet, I've extracted all the weapon stats and keep them up-to-date here if you're interested:

http://dayzintel.com/dayz-cheat-sheet

Technically speaking, persistence is supposed to be working on .49 but it's very touch-and-go. On experimental .50, persistence is working very well so expect that to carry over in the next stable patch (possibly tomorrow.) 

Oh wow. Bookmarking that if it is accurate. Kinda wish it was in a more spreadsheet format for easier comparisons though. Good info none the less. How do you find this data? Are all the values out of 10 in the game files or is that just simplifying for comparison?

Edited by LucidHills

To the OP, I guess it depends on your play style ;

SKS is a good choice, not as great as the Mosin but for mid range sniping it should do the trick.

AK101 and AKM without a PSO1 Scope are just good for close quarters, your chances to hit something beyond 300m are random. In my opinion either you go for long range weapon as your primary or mid-range such as the AK101 or AKM with a PSO1 scope.

Sawed-off IZH-43 is good but if you have a handgun and the mags for it the Sawed-off seems useless.

MP5 is a great replacement for a handgun but the rarity of mags makes me believe that you will likely carry it for a long time before you find 1 or 2 mags.

1911 has only two problems, the rarity of mags (haven’t found 1 since 0.49) and the fact that you have only 7 rounds per mag. The FNX is the handgun to have if of course you have the mags for it.

What I would do:

SKS keep it, you have 10 rounds, it’s effective at mid range with the PU Scope, but having a Mosin and a LRS may be a better option if you have something extra for close encounters.

AK101 and AKM, if you want to have a long range rifle go for the Mosin and wait for 0.50 to be pushed on stable and look for the AKS-74U as it is reported that you can put it inside a backpack. This would be a great replacement for any other close quarters weapons, it would allow you to drop the useless MP5, AK101 and the AKM mags.

A good versatile gear:

Primary Weapon:

- Mid/Long Range: SKS/Mosin

Backpack Weapon:

- Close Quarters: AKS-74U (wait for 0.50) with 3 mags

- Close Quarters (backup): 1911 or FNX with 2 mags

Edited by MaxTheSurvivor

I would say, drop everything but the AK 101, shottie, and the flash bang. Shottie is better than the pistols and the Ak kicks butt. You can see if the trade can happen on a persistance server so you can stash the keeper items somewhere safe, just incase the other party is less than trust worthy. Or just run thru the barracks in Zeleno to find the mags you need and keep an eye out for a PS0 scope too.

Oh wow. Bookmarking that if it is accurate. Kinda wish it was in a more spreadsheet format for easier comparisons though. Good info none the less. How do you find this data? Are all the values out of 10 in the game files or is that just simplifying for comparison?

Hey, spreadsheets we have too - here's the weapons one. They are up-to-date with .49 stable.

http://dayzintel.com/dayz-stats/weapon-stats

Values in the game files are not out of 10, no. I run them through a number cruncher which spits out a /10 value :)

Hope that's of some use to you.

• Like 1

If I found an AKM and some AK101 mags at the same time, which gun do you think would be better?

As much as I really really love the SKS (it's so beautiful *tears up*), an AK will be so much better. I do plan to drop or trade if when I get my hands on an AK.

I think the MP5 is a beauty too but yeah. I'm thinking of trading it if I could. Though is a magazineless MP5 worth much?

according to my own experience, AK (101 and M) are NOT any better than SKS ingame.

SKS :

- easy to find

- doesn't need a mag (this gun is OP because reloading time is too short without clip)

- easy to find a PU-scope

- very effective at medium range (100-400m)

- semi-auto fire easy to keep on target while AKM burst take more time to re-adjust

- close quarter quick fire is effective in panic situation

AKM :

- hard to find (both weapon and magazines)

- PSO-1 are super rare

- very effective a short range against multiple targets

- decently effective a medium range

- lots of shots before reloading

in most of my engagements, i fire less than 10 shots with both SKS or AKM so carrying 75 rounds in not a major advantage. i would say it's easier to get an sks with pu than an AKM with magazine, and at medium range an SKS with PU wins every time. i can remember a lot of firefight where i had trouble getting a head shot with AKM's iron sight when only some small part of the opponent head are exposed, most of the time i was thinking "dam, that shot would have been easy with a PU scope on a SKS".

if you are lucky enought to get your hand on a PSO-1 in good condition, well AKM win. but by the time you'll look for it, an SKS would have been better.

regarding effectivness : AKM with PSO-1 > SKS with PU > AKM >  SKS

regarding rarity : SKS > SKS with PU > AKM > AKM with PSO-1

Edited by Zboub le météor
  • Like 1

Is there any real difference between the AK101 and the AKM?

Is there any real difference between the AK101 and the AKM?

small differences, mainly a lower recoil with the AK101 and a little more damage with the AKM. i tried both, good weapons, hard to choose between them.

• Like 1

Hey Lucid, remember me? I was a guy on your longhorn topic. Did you find the MP5 at regular? I have a mag for it. I found it at Sunday, I have a photo of me finding it aswell. Check this album: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/opv2disfint7ow7/AABlvo-cbLF7Q9ZGXcdJyUeka?dl=0 you'll see some pics taken near the police station. Check those images at the end of the album.

I have an AKM I can give to you, or AK101 mags which you can take aswell and we can decide about the MP5. Try not to die till Friday as I won't be able to get online before that.

I will need to confirm where my mag is though. It might be in my inventory or at a persistent server. Stay tuned.

By the way, I believe an AKM is better than the 101.

• Like 1

Hey Lucid, remember me? I was a guy on your longhorn topic. Did you find the MP5 at regular? I have a mag for it. I found it at Sunday, I have a photo of me finding it aswell. Check this album: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/opv2disfint7ow7/AABlvo-cbLF7Q9ZGXcdJyUeka?dl=0 you'll see some pics taken near the police station. Check those images at the end of the album.

I have an AKM I can give to you, or AK101 mags which you can take aswell and we can decide about the MP5. Try not to die till Friday as I won't be able to get online before that.

I will need to confirm where my mag is though. It might be in my inventory or at a persistent server. Stay tuned.

By the way, I believe an AKM is better than the 101.

Oh neat! Wow thanks, but I play on 1st person servers and as I can see from your pictures that you picked up that gear on a 3rd person server. :(

Edited by LucidHills

UPDATE: The bad news is I got in a laggy fight with a few zombies. My shotgun was ruined and my 1911 badly damaged. So I dropped the shotgun along with it's ammo but kept the loaders. The good news is I found an AKM and switched over to that seeing as I have a drum and regular magazine for it. I'm hanging onto my SKS for now but I'm thinking of dropping it as I don't really need long range.

I think I'm going to try  and trade everything expect the AKM for something else. Don't know what though. Maybe an Amphibia S or a PSO1 Scope.

Edited by LucidHills

Carrying an sks with an AKM seems a bit unneccessary, especially if you don't plan on engaging in long range engagements. If you did, a scoped Mosin would be the obvious choice.

Plus, hunting for a PSO will give you something to do.

• Like 1