Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Private Shard Pricing is Outrageous

your right im wrong whatever i say youll or someone else will hide my responses

Complain about that one more time and I will hide more than your posts. In case you still didn't get the message: "Don't publicly discuss moderation. If you have an issue with a moderator, take it up with the moderator or ultimately Boneboys". We are not beyond criticism, but you have to do it the right way.

It's not that hard to understand, is it?

The thing is Mos1ey and SmashT are constantly proving you wrong, posting links to relevant information whereas you are just singing your song like a stuck record without any evidence to back up your claims.

K then. I'm gone. Mods here are just trolls. Bye

One would expect to see some evidence of BI being money grabbers, but let's just pretend it's the mods who are trolls and not yourself, right?

Edited by Accolyte
grammar is hard
  • Like 2

your right im wrong whatever i say youll or someone else will hide my responses. got really silly on here last few months .

simple thing is this . does it cost one third extra on every server they rent to cover the cost of te private hive = NO!

its that price because they know like the mod this is what most will want and be mainly donations from groups of people . so they will pay it. all the bs about it costs that much it doesnt. a few extra servers would manage the data but they seem to be charging one third extra on every sale to compensate :lol:

its not like each server they rent or each 3rd server needs a server is it ? so basically its just for profit. they are businesses thats what you do its just the they doing it for the resources bs i cant take. just say its business im happy with that.

also if you know otherwise post what extra servers are needed to man the hive and details so we can see the actual figures. ;)  .

To be honest... Yeah, that sounds about right. If they can only run two thirds as many private shard servers on the same number of boxes then they have to charge one third extra to make the same amount of profit. Like I said - I don't work for any of the server providers, so I can't see exactly how many instances they're able to run per box but that sounds believable to me.

Edited by Mos1ey

K then. I'm gone. Mods here are just trolls. Bye

Yes. Look at how rarely Arma 3 goes on sale. Sure, it does every once and a while, but it sticks at $60 for the most part, while they sell Arma 2 as cheap as gas station hot dogs most of the time.

Combined with these ridiculous prices and the fact DayZ is an Early Access title that costs $30 is ridiculous, and yet they expect $60 for it when its finally released...

Complain about that one more time and I will hide more than your posts. In case you still didn't get the message: "Don't publicly discuss moderation. If you have an issue with a moderator, take it up with the moderator or ultimately Boneboys". We are not beyond criticism, but you have to do it the right way.

It's not that hard to understand, is it?

The thing is Mos1ey and SmashT are constantly proving you wrong, posting links to relevant information whereas you are just singing your song like a stuck record without any evidence to back up your claims.

One would expect to see some evidence of BI being money grabbers, but let's just pretend it's the mods who are trolls and not yourself, right?

the thing is how has he proven me wrong ?

heres the link i posted http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/game-servers/dayzs-dayzsprivateserverandhive/

that is the correct pricing of private shards from multiplay. he hid my post either didnt read it or look. if he did look he would of seen that my link is not the same price as the OP mentioned. so all he proved is hes hidden my post without reading the content properly or just assumed it was a troll. it wasnt it was the actual pricing of the servers. which wass the topic of discussion.

there is no evidence needed its in the link. normal servers are a third cheaper than private shard servers.

provide evidence to show the money that is extra on top is being used to maintain servers or isnt just business. it is business.

a popular game they know that private hives will be more used when its out than vanilla so they came up with some great business idea to exploit this. thats the truth.

• Like 1

your right im wrong whatever i say youll or someone else will hide my responses. got really silly on here last few months .

simple thing is this . does it cost one third extra on every server they rent to cover the cost of te private hive = NO!

its that price because they know like the mod this is what most will want and be mainly donations from groups of people . so they will pay it. all the bs about it costs that much it doesnt. a few extra servers would manage the data but they seem to be charging one third extra on every sale to compensate :lol:

its not like each server they rent or each 3rd server needs a server is it ? so basically its just for profit. they are businesses thats what you do its just the they doing it for the resources bs i cant take. just say its business im happy with that.

also if you know otherwise post what extra servers are needed to man the hive and details so we can see the actual figures. ;)  .

Oh? Please, tell me how much it costs DI to keep their server running.

NO, not  what you THINK OR WISH it costs, what it actually costs to maintain power and distribute from the central hive.

Here is a good starting point, ONE engineer that takes care of it makes at least $80,000 a year. Add in his benefits, make it $150,000 per year, just for one dude, to maintain it full time. They likely have many more people.

Edit: Fun fact, at one point or another it was costing Blizzard $137,000 PER DAY to run their servers. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.288735-This-WoW-Infographic-Presents-Quite-a-Few-Really-Big-Numbers

Edited by Judopunch

Daniel from Fragnet responded to a lot of the similar sentiment expressed in this thread on Reddit for those interested.

http://www.reddit.com/user/FNET_Daniel

According to him the price are much higher because (1) BIS is charging extra for hosting a private shard. (2) The shard hive is hosted on high-availability cluster/server, being backed up frequently and monitored accordingly.

"High-availability" sound like a fancy talk for standard practice for real time gaming servers. Also the Hive is a basic DB, with minimal requirements compared to actual servers (no pathfinding etc) Also It has been a while since I played, but isn't those servers are reset on daily basis... so I am not sure how backup applies here.

Oh? Please, tell me how much it costs DI to keep their server running.[....]

Can you tell how much it cost them? because it looks like you just pulling smoke out of your ***.

If you want speculations. Then going by the info here, and the fact that in an MMO, where its online only, hosting public servers is a service that BIS is expected to provide, and that hosting cost are high. It is just plausible that they artificially inflated private servers cost, to give incentive for people to rent public servers, so they don't have to.

No they did ruin the game. The game is a survival game in a zombie apocalypse scavenging for gear. That is the game.

1000+ vehicle and barracks, gear everywhere plus dumbed down zombies that are a nuisance is not a zombie survival game.

Modding does not always make games better, no matter how many times you keep asserting it.

Presumably Armed Assault 2 unmodded is another version of DayZ but without zombies and gear to pick up as well, right?

There comes a point where something completely diverges from something else and is no longer part of the original. This is why you control your vision of the game so it doesn't turn into a sack of shit like the mod did.

Let's talk about those horrible modifications for DayZ mod a bit. Modding DayZ was bad because it turned it into deathmatch fest, right?

I will be talking here about the times when SA hasn't been released yet.

Have you ever (in DayZ):

- milked a cow or a goat?

- had to find a combat knife or can opener to open canned food?

- had to stop and rest because your character was out of stamina?

- reapaired a radio to track new crashsites?

- been afraid to enter NWAF because there were too many zombies?

- repaired a car because running with stamina system took too much time?

- searched deerstands for meat because canned food was very rare?

If you haven't you never bothered to check out the good mods for DayZ, yet you still bitch how modding destroyed the game. Some of the features I mentioned aren't even in SA, yet they were working, over a year ago in "DayZed" mod.

PS: Last time I checked DayZed died a while ago. Mostly because it wasn't very popular. All those people begging for hardcore survival just ignored it...

thanks to admin who hidden my post on pricing. so lame.Boneboys

that alone shows how out of touch you are. leave others responses about it but hide mine.

Your post was inflammatory defamatory and constituted a clear breach of the Rules.

My choice was to either hide the post and let the discussion continue or suspend you.

It appears I made the wrong decision.

• Like 1

I don't care for the rest of this discussion but I do agree BI are becoming a bit of money grubbers =P

ArmA 3 is in no way worth 60 dollars.

Can you tell how much it cost them? because it looks like you just pulling smoke out of your ***.

If you want speculations. Then going by the info here, and the fact that in an MMO, where its online only, hosting public servers is a service that BIS is expected to provide, and that hosting cost are high. It is just plausible that they artificially inflated private servers cost, to give incentive for people to rent public servers, so they don't have to.

I'm confused. Im saying I havent seen the actual cost for BI to run their servers, but I assume its a great deal more expensive then people are tending to think it is.

BI is hosting servers, quite a few in fact, that you are free to play on.

It is highly unlikely that they are inflating the costs by that much. Sure they probably make a little money on it but think of it this way. If it costs X to run a server, and they want to rent part of their server to feed information to that server, its almost the cost of renting two servers.

Your irateness sounds like you dont really know how the real world works. Nothing is free. Not even your Yahoo account, just because you don't see the costs doesn't mean they dont exist. 

If you dont like the server costs, dont rent them. Play on the official, free, provided, relatively popular servers.

I think you missed the point completely..

Like I said the fact that BIS are hosting many public servers is not not an accomplishment, it is a basic service expect from everyone who makes online games.

Since Maintaining a large amount of servers is costly, like any good business they are likelly looking for way to reduce those cost. Public servers allow them to do that. Suckers who rent public servers pay BIS for the "privileged" (and get nothing), work as free moderators and reduce the amount of Public servers BIS need to maintain. It is a win win situation for BIS.

On the other hand private serves not so much, since they do not provide service for the wider community. So yeah it is possible that BIS is intentionally charging too much for using the Hive, to "encourage" their suckers to stay with public or make few extra bucks of their backs if they don't.

Edited by Mor

I don't care for the rest of this discussion but I do agree BI are becoming a bit of money grubbers =P

ArmA 3 is in no way worth 60 dollars.

Then don't post and be careful when accusing BI of dubious business practices.

It's really quite simple, the price is set by the GSP's, it is up to individuals or Clans/Groups to decide if they wish to pay for a Server, public, single shard or shared.

If you have a problem with the price when renting a server, take it up with the GSP concerned.