JokersWarPig

More "Dynamic" Helicopter crash's

So after accidentally stumbling across a crash site the other night I had a thought that would possibly improve them.

What if the three helicopters didn't just spawn in random locations like they do now?

I think it'd be better if during the course of the server's time up before it restarts that the helicopters fly over the island before crashing. Obviously not all three at the same time, but at "x" minute intervals (like say every 30 or 45 minutes).

The helicopters would simply be flown by an AI from point A off shore or up north to where ever they inevitably crash. If you want to get really dynamic with it you could have them land some where in between or circle a location before heading off to crash. This would give all the players in the immediate area and a little bit beyond to see the helicopter and track its movement before it crashes. The explosion from where ever it hits will no doubt also attract nearby players.

I think this'll give people a good reason and motivation to head in land, because now there will be a reward for it, the promise of some military loot and weapons that are relatively uncommon. This would also force some player interactions in areas where they normally don't happen.

This will no doubt lead to PVP over the crashed helicopter much like it is now, but if the crash sites where done this way I feel like it'll pull the heavily geared people towards them to fight, as opposed to those players going up and down the shore looking for places to camp and kill freshies.

I came up with this mostly for the intensity of following/tracking a helicopter and moving up on it once it goes down. I also think it'll fill that space of what to do after you get fully/relatively well kitted out

This is unnecessary. When vehicles are implemented there will be players flying the rare functioning helicopter around that you can follow and shoot down. 

• Like 1

This is unnecessary. When vehicles are implemented there will be players flying the rare functioning helicopter around that you can follow and shoot down. 

This pretty much. AI/NPC helis would actually be in the way and would do no good but harm the feeling imo.

• Like 1

There's something to be said for this, and I like the visual drama. But:

Strictly speaking, the locations aren't "random", they're just random from a given set of well known potential sites.

There's no more reason why a dynamic crash would attract players inland - unless the actual probabilities of one taking place were improved. If anything, the fact that it would be an active encouragement to PvP would probably put people off.

I'd much prefer to get the Mi-8 sites sorted out so that they are either dropped (most of their very poor loot spawns elsewhere anyway), or at least improved.

It's a great idea, it gives you a sense of where it might be if you happen to see one.  Only thing is I think they should crash on server restart, or within the first 5 minutes, so there's ample time for all players to find all 3 for the server, if nobody saw the crash.  It adds a little bit of realism, a VERY small bit of help finding such a rare event (IF you happen to be lucky enough to see it) and it would add a bit more difficulty in getting the loot, as other people could see the crash as well.  I think it's a great idea with no drawbacks.

I like the idea of seeing a visual crash... The ai that flies it doesn't have to do anything but fly overhead high up enough it won't get shot down.

This idea is neat. There's an additive where upon the server coming back up maybe they don't happen right away, maybe they happen staggered every few minutes. It would be awesome the mad dash of people heading to them and the competition and frenzy it could create. Very neat concept.

This pretty much. AI/NPC helis would actually be in the way and would do no good but harm the feeling imo.

I don't see how having helis crash in the game world, rather than mysteriously appear as a smouldering wreck hurts the feeling of the game. If anything, it enhances it, as the smouldering wrecks would no longer blink into existence for no reason.

I think the heli crash sites should be truly dynamic.  Three crashes anywhere on the map (including remote forests or in cities).  Would make finding one a real treat and more likely you'll be the first on site.  I know - not likely to happen, but it would encourage people to break their region-haunting habits and go explore more.