Sign in to follow this  
t1337dude

Phenomenon: People that constantly talk to themselves

In my last day of playing DayZ, I've encountered 3 different players talking to themselves. Often it sounds like these players are talking in Teamspeak or Ventrilo but don't realize that they have the same push-to-talk key bound to DayZ. Usually when I hear other players talking, it lets me sneak up on them and kill them before they realize what happened, and that's what I did each time. But are there really that many players who are stupid and don't realize they are broadcasting their voice inside the game? Or are these players really lonely and just hoping that a friendly player will hear them and try to talk to them?

Do you constantly broadcast voice ingame with no one around? If you do, why? Do you see other players do this?

are there really that many players who are stupid and don't realize they are broadcasting their voice inside the game? 

Yes

Do you constantly broadcast voice ingame with no one around? If you do, why? Do you see other players do this?

Yes. Come find me and find out why.

Edited by BigB055
  • Like 1

Reminds me of All Points Bulletin during the beta when voice activated was default. THAT lead to some very funny times. Hearing people scream after you kill them, one guy thanked his wife for bringing him lunch, LOTS of Russians yelling "SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKA". It was great.

• Like 1

Have TS and in-game VoiP on two different buttons so never happens to me.

But i'v also never come across anyone doing this. 

I never heard this before, but I wish I had.

The most I ever hear over mic is my friends yelling at me when they return from being AFK to find themselves handcuffed and dying of food poisoning.

Good times...

Have TS and in-game VoiP on two different buttons so never happens to me.

But i'v also never come across anyone doing this. 

You guys know that if you alt+tab, you can still hear VOIP even when minimized, right? That's exactly how I've come across these bozos. I'd AFK in Vyborg and after 20 minutes I'll usually hear someone bumbling into their mic. I get ingame and scout them out to discover they are completely alone. They usually go "Oh god stop!" or "Why are you killing me?!", or something silly when I shoot them.

When I'm playing alone I usually broadcast all the time, sneezing, coughing, sometimes even singing and talking alone when I'm really bored in a middle of a forest.

Yesterday I couldn't find a rope anywhere and I was talking "Rope here, nope. Rope there, nope. Any rope anywhere? I just need a rope" etc.

When I'm playing alone I usually broadcast all the time, sneezing, coughing, sometimes even singing and talking alone when I'm really bored in a middle of a forest.

Yesterday I couldn't find a rope anywhere and I was talking "Rope here, nope. Rope there, nope. Any rope anywhere? I just need a rope" etc.

I don't do this myself, but I have encountered a few players who did this as well. And they were all friendly and great fun was had hanging out with them. So OP is really causing himself to miss out on some fun by automatically killing players like that.

• Like 2

Yeah, sometimes I talk about the weather, sing, or read from Leviticus over voice. What of it? 

Of course I talk to myself. Sometimes I need professional opinion. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 3

I talk in game to invoke interactions, teamspeak it great but you tend to encounter more people if you throw yourself out there..

I don't do this myself, but I have encountered a few players who did this as well. And they were all friendly and great fun was had hanging out with them. So OP is really causing himself to miss out on some fun by automatically killing players like that.

This. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but the few times I've run into people who are "talking to themselves", they are almost always a recently-respawned character and almost always friendly for some reason.

Wait, since when is there a push-to-talk button on TS?  I've never had to do this, ever...  The only push-to-talk button, for me, is Ctrl for in-game direct comms.

I do talk to myself but I don't broadcast it.

Edited by Yazar8

Perhaps they are roleplaying a character with mental issues?

Just exploring the options here..

Some serious Arpee with 27 sided dice and complex backstory.

I was hiding in the Police Station downstairs bedroom once, and I heard two guys upstairs.

Guy 1 - "Friendly, friendly!"

Guy 2 - "Ok, putting my gun away."

Guy 1 - "Thanks, got anything to trade in that backpack?"

Guy 2 - "This is good, we could be friends."

Guy 1 - "Friends with benefits sounds good."

Pause...

Me - "OMG you guys get a room!!!!"

Footsteps...

*bang bang bang*

Guy ? - "Ok, where's your friend at? I knew I couldn't trust you!"

At that point I ran out the back laughing... hilarious.