StarLord (DayZ)

Tactical Guide

I think really it is basic infantry tactic knowlege, and an understanding of the game mechanics.

You mentioned perimeters...in Dayz of cource we can log in and out any you please on the map. Clan's will often place players for a tactical adavatage on light servers, then having them log in on the server were the pvp is taking place. For example, a few monthes ago, me and some caln mates took over a apt building and held it for some time. Another clan attacked us, then began spawning right inside the building. It differs from reality in that since and perimeters really only last so long in DayZ. Then they become death traps. Its a moving battlefeild and counter to reality in that since.. I think as far as group battles go, the team should only stay in one place for only a few minutes. If want to survive you have to be moving. The DayZ battlefield is more leathal then a real life battle field, becuase you can really only hide for so long, once you take a few shots and start taking fire. Its time to start thinking about moving. So its not that easy to have an effective perim, your better of shooting and skooting. Becuase a smart group will figure out your trying to look down an area then spawn player inside your parim. A clan I belonged to a while ago would try to set up perim's, it always ended with people droping like flys. Its not due to lack of tactical knowlege on that one, not that they were not good players, they just did not consider game mechanics. 

So the game is some what realistic becuase of stuff like this, in some ways is really a warped reality. I would say 50% of dayz is understanding infantry tactics or shoting and moving. The other 50% is understanding the game mechanics, and the pros and cons. Its not as realistic as some may think, infact its really kind of warped. Military tactics don't always apply.

Edited by CJFlint

I think really it is basic infantry tactic knowlege, and an understanding of the game mechanics.

You mentioned perimeters...in Dayz of cource we can log in and out any you please on the map. Clan's will often place players for a tactical adavatage on light servers, then having them log in on the server were the pvp is taking place. For example, a few monthes ago, me and some caln mates took over a apt building and held it for some time. Another clan attacked us, then began spawning right inside the building. It differs from reality in that since and perimeters really only last so long in DayZ. Then they become death traps. Its a moving battlefeild and counter to reality in that since.. I think as far as group battles go, the team should only stay in one place for only a few minutes. If want to survive you have to be moving. The DayZ battlefield is more leathal then a real life battle field, becuase you can really only hide for so long, once you take a few shots and start taking fire. Its time to start thinking about moving. So its not that easy to have an effective perim, your better of shooting and skooting. Becuase a smart group will figure out your trying to look down an area then spawn player inside your parim. A clan I belonged to a while ago would try to set up perim's, it always ended with people droping like flys. Its not due to lack of tactical knowlege on that one, not that they were not good players, they just did not consider game mechanics. 

So the game is some what realistic becuase of stuff like this, in some ways is really a warped reality. I would say 50% of dayz is understanding infantry tactics or shoting and moving. The other 50% is understanding the game mechanics, and the pros and cons. Its not as realistic as some may think, infact its really kind of warped. Military tactics don't always apply.

I'm talking in regards to the SA. As far as I know you can't direct spawn? If that were the case then you're absolutely right. When I say perimeter's I'm

speaking on establishing your sectors of fire. I saw a post the other day from someone who was storyboarding their team's mission, and he gave n example

photo of their sectors of fire, which were totally screwed up. This is what prompted me to want to make a guide.

Establishing sectors of fire would be a good one to teach. Also a tactic known as bounding. Example a small group provides cover for a moving group, then vs versa. Its a quick way to advance or break contact while dishing out fire.

Its not really direct spawning per say, its alittle complex to explain. A team member of a clan say for example on a hot pvp server, can guide a team mate to a certain position on a light server. Right were they want them. Then once in posistion they then will log off the light server and then onto the pvp server. It can mess any kind of parim, or ground your trying to hold really fast. Which makes real world military tactics sometimes abit blured in this game in some respects. 

Oh I totally agree. Infact there is allot of things I see players do in you tube videos or in game that...well quite frankly not vary good tactics. Some times lacks even basic knowlege of the game. But there having fun and thats whats important at the end of the day.

Heres another funny thing about dayz in regards to pvp vs reality. Player always gravitate toward urban settings.....from a military standpoint it makes zero logical since what so ever, unless there is serous strategic value...there is none in day z. Why? What do players gain from it, civ loot? LOL Its a total death trap, theres nothing to gain really from it other then thrills....thats what it is its just for the rush of doing it lol Urban combat is the worst type there is. But in DayZ its about the most intence crazy pvp you will see. You can get shot from anywhere. Mean while snipers post up on a hill aiming down at city with a long range, shoting ducks in barrel. Some of the stuff that goes on in dayz is really kind of silly. So in a way just because it  does not always make logical since.....dosn't mean its not fun and a rush lol. It's something they would never even fathom doing in real life, but get to do it in dayz. Almost like watching a crash test. 

So I would say if you make a guide, keep in mind mechanics, and the fact some players infact many don't take the game that serous. I would go light on the infantry tactics. Just basic easy yet effective stuff. Fire, like you said sectors of fire, using cover, squad based movement, simple formations maybe and the use of over watch. Then cover the mechanics of the game. The more complex though, the less people will want to do it..Its just the way it is. This is a video game.

Edited by CJFlint

90% of playing Tactically in this game is covered automatically under Common Sense.

• Like 2

Establishing sectors of fire would be a good one to teach. Also a tactic known as bounding. Example a small group provides cover for a moving group, then vs versa. Its a quick way to advance or break contact while dishing out fire.

Its not really direct spawning per say, its alittle complex to explain. A team member of a clan say for example on a hot pvp server, can guide a team mate to a certain position on a light server. Right were they want them. Then once in posistion they then will log off the light server and then onto the pvp server. It can mess any kind of parim, or ground your trying to hold really fast. Which makes real world military tactics sometimes abit blured in this game in some respects. 

Oh I totally agree. Infact there is allot of things I see players do in you tube videos or in game that...well quite frankly not vary good tactics. Some times lacks even basic knowlege of the game. But there having fun and thats whats important at the end of the day.

Heres another funny thing about dayz in regards to pvp vs reality. Player always gravitate toward urban settings.....from a military standpoint it makes zero logical since what so ever, unless there is serous strategic value...there is none in day z. Why? What do players gain from it, civ loot? LOL Its a total death trap, theres nothing to gain really from it other then thrills....thats what it is its just for the rush of doing it lol Urban combat is the worst type there is. But in DayZ its about the most intence crazy pvp you will see. You can get shot from anywhere. Mean while snipers post up on a hill aiming down at city with a long range, shoting ducks in barrel. Some of the stuff that goes on in dayz is really kind of silly. So in a way just because it  does not always make logical since.....dosn't mean its not fun and a rush lol. It's something they would never even fathom doing in real life, but get to do it in dayz. Almost like watching a crash test. 

So I would say if you make a guide, keep in mind mechanics, and the fact some players infact many don't take the game that serous. I would go light on the infantry tactics. Just basic easy yet effective stuff. Fire, like you said sectors of fire, using cover, squad based movement, simple formations maybe and the use of over watch. Then cover the mechanics of the game. The more complex though, the less people will want to do it..Its just the way it is. This is a video game.

No you're actually reading my mind. I see what you mean now in regards to direct spawning. I think I'm going you use a mock up mission brief, and then run through the best way to apply military tactics to DayZ in an effective way. Run through the motions, from planning, moving, how to move, how to respond to indirect and direct fire, sectors of fire, setting up a quick perimeter to loot, how to assign roles to team members, best way to clear a building if you have insurgents firing from it (I see a lot of videos where stairs are done SO wrong), and a few more topics. I really enjoy writing so I hope people don't think it's odd that I'm going to go so into detail.

90% of playing Tactically in this game is covered automatically under Common Sense.

If you think that tactics are 90% common sense then you obviously have zerrrrroooooooooo experience. The idea in itself sounds like common sense, but as far as specifics go, not so much. Read my guide when I post it. I bet you learn something.

If you think that tactics are 90% common sense then you obviously have zerrrrroooooooooo experience.

Or maybe I'm just smarter than you, so smart things come more naturally to me than they do to you.

Edited by Rags
  • Like 1

If you think that tactics are 90% common sense then you obviously have zerrrrroooooooooo experience. The idea in itself sounds like common sense, but as far as specifics go, not so much. Read my guide when I post it. I bet you learn something.

In real life yes but in DayZ not so much. There's too many bambis running around whacking you with the first thing they find or snipers camping hills shooting anything that moves along with the clan ghosting.

Really the only tactics you need to know in DayZ is in order to be kosed you must be seen. stay in the shadows, move slowly and carefully, that can of beans isn't worth everything you just ran around searching for.

Obviously I know clans need to coordinate and be able to move and whatnot without being idiots but, it seems like most clans have at least one person with some sort of military experience who helps with that sort of stuff.

i play with three friends. our tactics amount to one guy with a LRS on a mosin sitting on a hill. the rest of us run into town, leaving our main gear on the hill, going in with one full auto machine gun and the rest, pistols. we gather what we can. if we die, it is the duty of the sniper to provide overwatch to our bodies until such time as we can return. we have been caught out by restarts to many times, but it is still great fun. we dont really want to become on of those super tacticool military clans...

Using multiple servers to navigate your way around high population areas is known as ghosting and is considered an exploit, not a legitimate tactic. It's the main reason that I always preferred private hives in the mod TBH.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 4

Or maybe I'm just smarter than you, so smart things come more naturally to me than they do to you.

Nice response! I agree, it's mostly common sense.

Tactics might work in the real world because for the majority of the time people don't want to die, and therefore your enemy will act in a cautious way to preserve their own life. However in DayZ a lot of players don't care if they live or die, and tactics fall a part pretty quickly when a dude in a t-shirt, jeans and a pick axe gets behind you.

Using multiple servers to navigate your way around high population areas is known as ghosting and is considered an exploit, not a legitimate tactic. It's the main reason that I always preferred private hives in the mod TBH.

All the more reason to implement that warning noise for player logins that someone suggested.

fuck off

sarcastic ass

Leave it, both of you. Or you'll end up spending your time elsewhere.

Leave it, both of you. Or you'll end up spending your time elsewhere.

So you leave his smart ass comment, but delete mine? DONE. Done done done done done done done.

So you leave his smart ass comment, but delete mine? DONE. Done done done done done done done.

He deleted mine to, calm down.

If you want tactics I believe Googling "DayZ Stealth Guide" may help.

I fell victom to it. Its is a more common practice in the game, then many would like. It makes it vary hard to hold ground for more for more then a few minutes on a packed server. I think if there is going to be baricades added....base building and the like. This ghosting issue needs to be addressed first. With it in game now it changes the dynamics of what most military minded people would consider tactical. I have learned to adapt for the time being, and just know people will do that and simply not stay in one area for too long...until it is fixed or if it gets fixed.

Just last night I was running with a group....then logged out left my TS on and still was talking to people. They saw several glitching hackers and were forced to log off there servers. Thats another thing I learned to adapt too...If I hear an unreasonable amount of gun fire...like more then someone can carry. Or a map glitcher....I log off ASAP. But I think they are rare...but not rare enough.

These issues are in the game, and have been there since I been playing the SA. I learned to adapt to it, and strangly it has become just something I have to deal with while playing. In regards to a guide, I think it needs to be something people should be really aware of. You can't counter it, but with knowlege you can avoid it and cut down on your chances falling victim of it. 

Regardless DayZ is still a really interesting fun game, and its alpha. I love it sometimes. Sometimes So I have to keep reminding my self...this isn't finished and it will be really cool when it is.

Edited by CJFlint

No you're actually reading my mind. I see what you mean now in regards to direct spawning. I think I'm going you use a mock up mission brief, and then run through the best way to apply military tactics to DayZ in an effective way. Run through the motions, from planning, moving, how to move, how to respond to indirect and direct fire, sectors of fire, setting up a quick perimeter to loot, how to assign roles to team members, best way to clear a building if you have insurgents firing from it (I see a lot of videos where stairs are done SO wrong), and a few more topics. I really enjoy writing so I hope people don't think it's odd that I'm going to go so into detail.

I watch DayZ tv, and I have seen many streamers or video makers that really arn't all that great at the game. But heres the thing....What is being successful or good in dayz? Theres no score card no steam badges. I guess its all up to the player them selves and wether there meeting there goals in game or not. Or meeting there groups goals Did they have a good time playing and have fun or not. Its kind case by case and player by player or group. My goal is to survive as long as posible, and I have a certain play style I like to do. I play solo allot, but lately I have been getting back into group play. But I try to be open minded to other peoples style. There really is allot of people that just want a quick thrill, and really don't plan on living more then a couple nights. Theres people who find humor in trolling players, or play to get a luagh. All kinds of crazy crap goes on. Sometimes I find my self just wanting to see what people are going to do next. It can be quite entertaining.

I think If I was to do a guide. I would cover every single thing I can think of, but not to in depth in anything. Because there so many styles of play these days.

As far as military tactics goes. I really don't expect players to be experts at all. I don't hold them to that high of a standard. But a basic combat skills and just basic type type skill would be worth while in this game. A clear knowlege of what to look out for in patches. Some really do lack any kind of knowlege what so ever. So really I think the basics is really nec, if the player decides to be more advance with tactics and survival, then its up to them.

Edited by CJFlint

You need not bother Flint, I don't think he is coming back.

Edited:

Just clicked the link....Oh dear.......well...cough cough... Maybe I'll write that guide then, just have to find the time lol I missed that thread. Not sure what that was all about or why it was there. I guess save the smack taking for team speak lol Forums is for constructive talk. I had to learn that harsh lesson my self and made a promise to kichilron that I would behave myself. There is a time and a place for everything a wise man once told me.

Edited by CJFlint