over9000nukez

Put in Helicopters, Humvee's with grenade launchers, and mounted machine guns

Medium Chain Trigs? That must feel great.

Wakes me the heck up so much focus and energy.

Edited by gibonez

Isn't that what Arma 3 is for?

Yes, that's why I think the grenade launchers, tanks, BTR's, etc. should be left out. most vehicles should be civilian, I think that for a clan to get a hum-vee with a machine gun on top should be a huge status symbol. I think a helicopter with a machine gun mounted to the side is about the maximum military presence of vehicles I would like to see. If there is airplanes and such, they should not include guns that are controlled by pilot. all of the guns, if any are included, should be only able to be operated by passengers. About 90% of the vehicles being driven/used should be civilian.

• Like 4

Yes, that's why I think the grenade launchers, tanks, BTR's, etc. should be left out. most vehicles should be civilian, I think that for a clan to get a hum-vee with a machine gun on top should be a huge status symbol. I think a helicopter with a machine gun mounted to the side is about the maximum military presence of vehicles I would like to see. If there is airplanes and such, they should not include guns that are controlled by pilot. all of the guns, if any are included, should be only able to be operated by passengers. About 90% of the vehicles being driven/used should be civilian.

That's a good point.

It's just dumb when people scowl at the idea of even including them, like the fact that they exist "ruins my realism/immersion/what DayZ is meant to be/", because clearly they're the lone dictator of what that is.

• Like 2

I do love how most of you assume you're all going to be supersoldiers come the apocalypse.

Gonna be tough to do anything with hunger gnawing at your guts because it's 3 days since you ate hot food; everything you own is piss-wet through; your trousers and boots are squelchy-full of cold dysentery; your gun is rusting up and the infected are heading your way once again.

Maybe that PvP gunfight in Elektro isn't what you need right now...

The problem is not how easy it is to fly a helicopter.

The problem is the simple fact that the helicopter flies and the way the engine renders long distance terrain clearly revealing everything for miles even if is hidden behind thick brush.

The map is also relatively small so helicopters are not even needed from a transportation standpoint.

i can understand your last point, but i wouldn't use a heli for transport (unless doing a big drop off/ pick up) but i would use it tactically, finding enemy locations, flying over and finding locations of enemys and such.

I do love how most of you assume you're all going to be supersoldiers come the apocalypse.

Gonna be tough to do anything with hunger gnawing at your guts because it's 3 days since you ate hot food; everything you own is piss-wet through; your trousers and boots are squelchy-full of cold dysentery; your gun is rusting up and the infected are heading your way once again.

i like all the above, but for all those who are organized, and are able to work together to achieve a goal, should be rewarded, so if you take good care of yourself, and avoid getting wet, change your socks often, and pour a bit of alcohol on open wounds and add stitches, (which should be stuff you find only if you work with a team effort, otherwise your stuck with rags, and old beer to clean wounds)

Stealing medical supplise, having mass raids on cities, and bringing it under martial law (only if your an organized group you can do some of these things) would you be able to hit the top of the top, and eventually form government.

my goal id like to see in dayz: become well known for being a warlord on a server, leading my clan and working together, people who rebel die, and people who listen are rewarded, and can join our ranks, and share our ultimate goal.

sounds pretty badass doesn't it?

Hello there

I see what OP is trying to get at, but I can see the same style of play occurring without the need for military vehicles.

I dont have any real issue with soft vehicles and the occasional APC but tanks would be damn hard to keep operable, in fact techicals as mentioned earlier make more sence IMHO.

In general one is going to want to use stuff thats easily fixable/repairable and which has parts that are fairly commonly available. Why invest so much time/effort into getting a tank going if a part seizes up and theres nothing near to fix it with?

The same goes with helicopters and light aircraft, vast amounts of maintenance goes into those beasts as theyre damn complicated and even if one finds a pilot, whos to say he has the requisite mechanic skills.

Im all for struggling to keep civvie vehicles running rather than military ones, for me, it would feel very Arma ish.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

my goal id like to see in dayz: become well known for being a warlord on a server, leading my clan and working together, people who rebel die, and people who listen are rewarded, and can join our ranks, and share our ultimate goal.

sounds pretty badass doesn't it?

That sounds exactly like wasteland actually.

That part of the game should be about 50% of the experience - the trudging, incredibly difficult part, where you're struggling to survive. You're forced to drink from dirty ponds just to make it another hour, gathering up all of the firewood you can in the hopes that you can dry off, constantly moving trying to avoid the preying eyes of a group of bandits tracking you down, and quivering in fear after hearing the howl of a pack of wolves who probably haven't eaten for longer than you have.

The next 40% of that part should be the "buildup" stage, the drawn-out portion where the tide begins to turn and you pull yourself out of the pit. By this point you've got some fresh clothes, a decent rifle with enough ammunition you aren't afraid to use it (defensively), and a few spare cans of food - a good quantity of supplies so that your raids start moving towards large cities and military bases, rather than just the various inland villages. You're still not ready to take on the world at this point, but you've gotten to a point where constant fear is no longer your enemy, and may perhaps join your side, given enough time.

The final 10% of the experience is the "end-game". You've got a group, you've got guns, you've got cars, and a base that you need more than the blink of an eye to cross over. Those wolves you were so desperately trying to avoid before? They're now your largest food source - they hunt the prey and kill it for you, all you need to do is go get it. The bandits from before? You eliminated them in an intense battle for control of a pass frequently utilized by other players. During that fight, a bullet grazed your leg, but you were fortunate enough to have a splint and some morphine around - you'll be back to fighting strength in a few weeks.

The percentages there are quite relative, in fact even 10% seems too large of a number to really be the end-game. Don't take it verbatim, but simply how the progression of survival in DayZ should travel, in my opinion. There will be periods of luck where you find a large cache of food and become well off soon into play, and seemingly never-ending points where you're not finding anything. The game will be brutal - you WILL die often and suddenly. That brutality, however, cranks the experience up to 11, when you pull yourself out. The accomplishment will feel real. That's why there needs to be a balance, that you've brought yourself to a point where there may just be hope yet for the human race. We can't just make the game too easy or too hard and exclude one or the other.

(Besides mods. People can do whatever the hell they want in their mods, and it won't concern me.)

That's just how I like to look at it, how I'd like it to be. I mean, yes, there's complete value in discussing the ifs, but vehicles, including helicopters, have been confirmed, so it's probably better to discuss the merits on what will be done once they ARE in.

• Like 3

*Title* IF  As long as it takes time to create. and by time i mean DEDICATION. you shouldnt be able t place a new engine in a heli, and be able to fly it, it should require weeks if done alone, and if in a group it should take maybe a week or half a week if you divvy up the work between your members to create something. An Organized group should be able to create a war machine (pickup trucks with mounted gunners, Humvee's with grenade launchers, tanks, and the sort) if you spend time on it.

When you see an organized group coming for you in a tank your words shouldn't be "oh maybe i can kill them and take it" in fact, there shouldn't even be words, it should be "*censored* these guys are organized, and if i mess with them,it's game over" but in the form of a wet stain, and droppings in their pants.

Edit:(Please read) Some people seem to be confused, or aren't reading/ skipping over this fact: I think it should take WEEKS for a lone player, or a week for a organized group to build a heavy military vehicle, if they work hard at it, and put a lot of time into it, now if their dumb, and decide to go on the coast with it instead of use it tactical reasons (defending a base, attacking another base, fortifying a location, or putting a city under martial law) they will most likely die instantly to the first guy with a semi-decent weapon who knows how to use it.

if you get a tank then I get a javelin missile system as well as a stinger and an armor piercing rifle round and I get white phosphorus grenades and if I have all this stuff why am I not playing battlefield

I think folks want this kinda shit just so they can be over powered douchebags and act like they run the show yeah it'll take weeks blah blah blah bullshit some douche clan will just serverhop or go to there clan server loot the parts and its tank on. I'm sure it'll happen one day down the road overpoch will infect dayz SA and it'll lose the magic it has and go to easy mode.

• Like 2

Hello there

I see what OP is trying to get at, but I can see the same style of play occurring without the need for military vehicles.

I dont have any real issue with soft vehicles and the occasional APC but tanks would be damn hard to keep operable, in fact techicals as mentioned earlier make more sence IMHO.

In general one is going to want to use stuff thats easily fixable/repairable and which has parts that are fairly commonly available. Why invest so much time/effort into getting a tank going if a part seizes up and theres nothing near to fix it with?

The same goes with helicopters and light aircraft, vast amounts of maintenance goes into those beasts as theyre damn complicated and even if one finds a pilot, whos to say he has the requisite mechanic skills.

Im all for struggling to keep civvie vehicles running rather than military ones, for me, it would feel very Arma ish.

Rgds

LoK

i agree, i just brought the opposite extreme of tanks in some rare cases of groups of about 20 or so people are constantly helping out. i would say the reason for a tank would be to just have a artillery/wall you can move up to bases with

Edited by over9000nukez

if you get a tank then I get a javelin missile system as well as a stinger and an armor piercing rifle round and I get white phosphorus grenades and if I have all this stuff why am I not playing battlefield

I think folks want this kinda shit just so they can be over powered douchebags and act like they run the show yeah it'll take weeks blah blah blah bullshit some douche clan will just serverhop or go to there clan server loot the parts and its tank on. I'm sure it'll happen one day down the road overpoch will infect dayz SA and it'll lose the magic it has and go to easy mode.

-private hives-

75% of your argument is invalid

-ignoring the fact that i said it would take forever to get this stuff-,

almost to the point where its not really worth getting it unless your a huge clan that works together PROPERLY, not some random team of 3 or so rambo's, im talking an organized group with a similar goal. and those "overpowered doughbags" got their stuff because they WORKED FOR IT, so if you feel under-powered, it would only be because you didn't do anything.

(i used tanks as an example, but id like to see more Technicals , Humvee's, and Helicopters.) 

I'm not sure about military vehicles, I'd prefer improvised civilian vehicles.

Like, a GAZ with the rear portion of the roof cut of and a RPK mounted, the sides covered in plates of scrap metal for armour, It would sacrifice speed, visibility and fuel efficiency for armour and firepower.

I think at most we should be able to pull things of wrecked military vehicles, crashed choppers could have a chance to spawn working machine guns on them that you could salvage for example.

This is the kind of thing I mean>

http://totallycoolpix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/20130724_improvised_weapons/pic_011.jpg

http://www.lostiniraq.com/?q=system/files/images//hillbilly-armor-315.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5257/5420537898_9a2f857a61_z.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5439/584/1600/Hillbilly%20armor%202.jpg

Yeah your character in DayZ was a total nerd with no talents that lucked his way into surviving the total downfall of society with a some jeans and a flashlight. Where do you get the idea that firearms rust after a few weeks in the field?

• Like 1

I'm not completely opposed to see vehicles that can have mounted weapons but they have to be done right. You can't have a humvee that can roll around, being protected from most shots that come your way, spraying down other players and zombies, roaming the map, it's just not fair. There needs to be a balance where players can avoid gunfire, take out enemy players strategically. With a humvee, players can rotate a full 360 degrees, move into the gunner position from any other seat. Yes, reward players who are able to stay alive regardless if they're doing it alone or in a group, but not with humvees.

There's a vehicle (not sure if it was in the mod, never saw it but probably way) where a ute had a gun attached to the back. The player was exposed, the vehicle was loud, the driver and passenger weren't protected well from any incoming fire and you had to exit the vehicle to get to the gunner seat. That's the limit in my view when it comes to armed vehicles. If a player running down the street sees an oncoming vehicle, if he's smart enough and gets in a position to take out the gunner first, then the vehicle becomes any other as the driver/passenger won't stop to get into the gunner position. Even the weapon itself needs to be, in it's best condition, rather poor/rusted and a high upkeep needs to be maintained to keep it working. Otherwise, when firing, it can randomly lock up. Reality is, it's a small price to pay for a big reward

It completely ruins DayZ if the game allows clans to become a military unit. Grenade launchers shouldn't even be entertained in the minds of the developers IMO.As for tanks, sorry but that's just f***ing dumb. 

Just the way I see the topic.

Where do you get the idea that firearms rust after a few weeks in the field?

In damp and wet conditions, badly maintained weapons will begin to rust in a matter of hours.

• Like 1

In damp and wet conditions, badly maintained weapons will begin to rust in a matter of hours.

False. I've had to wait in the rain with an M4 for 14 hours and do exercises at Fort Richardson Alaska in -32 weather and never had the rust issues you are describing. Treated metals do not rust in hours.

• Like 1

False. I've had to wait in the rain with an M4 for 14 hours and do exercises at Fort Richardson Alaska in -32 weather and never had the rust issues you are describing. Treated metals do not rust in hours.

Which part of the phrase "badly maintained" is causing you the most difficulty?

Which part of the phrase "badly maintained" is causing you the most difficulty?

And you know the guns in dayZ are badly maintained because that was your intent as a dayz developer.

Don't forget the weapons in dayz aren't brand new, well maintained weapons. They are generally something you or the person you killed have scavenged from a house or deserted military base.

Who's to say how long they were sat in the barracks for befor you stumbled upon it, or how long that gun was in the back of that rusted up pickup for? Could well be they were there for weeks, exposed to the elements, slowly degrading before you picked it up and carried it for another couple of weeks, never once cleaning it or oiling it.

There's a back story to everything in the game, players, mobs and loot.

Will gladly point out I've never held a gun in my life so don't actually know anything about maintenance of weapons or their shelf life. But thought it was worth thinking about that the gun may have been outside since the outbreak (or possibly longer) with no attempt at cleaning it.

And you know the guns in dayZ are badly maintained because that was your intent as a dayz developer.

No, I know that in damp and wet conditions, badly maintained weapons will begin to rust in a matter of hours.

My experience is not based on standing around in the rain for a few hours on some exercise in Fort Shitsplat, Alaska.

Have some examples of weapons that are operational despite less than thankful owners or abandonment

post-92-1326801040.jpg

tumblr_mebjrdNzLG1r740w9o1_500.jpg

Have a video of a T-34 in a marsh running after being recovered:

Now the notion that such items will rust within hours of rain water is a uneducated exaggeration.

• Like 1

No, I know that in damp and wet conditions, badly maintained weapons will begin to rust in a matter of hours.

My experience is not based on standing around in the rain for a few hours on some exercise in Fort Shitsplat, Alaska.

So your total lack of experience with firearms and unbiased assumptions vs my experience of using weapons in extreme conditions. Neat. Weapons aren't built from the same cheap tin you see on commercial goods found at a big box store.

• Like 1

So your total lack of experience with firearms and unbiased assumptions vs my experience of using weapons in extreme conditions.

L. O. Fucking. L. I was a professional soldier before your daddy wrung you out of his nutsack.

L. O. Fucking. L. I was a professional soldier before your daddy wrung you out of his nutsack.

Well then you should know small arms don't rust over if left in the rain for a few hours unless they are zip guns made from scrap. Unless you spent your professional time behind a desk, quoting regs when someone walks by with their hand in their pocket.