over9000nukez

Put in Helicopters, Humvee's with grenade launchers, and mounted machine guns

Well then you should know small arms don't rust over if left in the rain for a few hours unless they are zip guns made from scrap. Unless you spent your professional time behind a desk, quoting regs when someone walks by with their hand in their pocket.

Are you being deliberately stupid, or what? For the third time, I will state - and I'm going to add some emphasis just so you can see the pertinent part - in damp and wet conditions, badly maintained weapons will begin to rust in a matter of hours. Has that got through, or do you need colour and pictures?

Properly maintained weapons do not rust, as even someone without the wit to get out of the rain for 14 hours might realise.

lets stop the meaningless discussion here above, and continue with the military vehicles

Okay, what do you want in game?

BTR 40-Armored, but open topped. Makes it a nightmare to go though towns when people held up in multistory buildings can shoot into your crew compartment.

Humvee- Soft,unarmored,poor heating,poor a/c,bad mileage. Some have turret rings.

MATV- Armored, RPG nets can defeat shoulder fired anti tank weapons, may come with a boomerang III so it can tell you what direction gunfire is coming from, turret rung. Maintenance whore to the max, have to idle before turning over or risk damaging the tires. Handles like a school bus, Easy to tip over, only seats five.

OT-810- Halftrack, opentopped, can carry a lot of people and goods, Czech, very old. Sold to civilians.

in damp and wet conditions, badly maintained weapons will begin to rust in a matter of hours.

Unless the weapons in dayz have been stripped of parkerization/bluing, this is a non issue. "Badly maintained" in it's common usage usually refers to lack of preventive maintenance, not direct sabotage. Why would firearms in recent use be found absent of such a common and reliant practice? I've seen fobbit blaster 9000 M16A2s that were conversions with Armalite receiver stamps that still maintain their rust proofing despite decades of misuse.

without the wit to get out of the rain for 14 hours might realise.

Thats cute, next time I'll tell my NCOIC I choose not to follow his order to guard a POL dump at a combat outpost because I don't want to get wet.

I am a soldier. Acronyms. 500 confirmed kills. I was killing foreigners before you, therefore I am an expert on everything that has ever been.

In regards to the actual topic...

No tanks, please. I could probably put up with that BMP or BRDM or whatever it is - the armoured vehicle that can be pierced by 7.62 rounds - but that's the absolute limit of what I'd like to see in-game in terms of armoured vehicles. I can see a rapid fire grenade launcher becoming OP very quickly. Even if you only have a few rounds, a couple of well-placed shots will wipe out a squad from half a kilometer away before they even know you're there.

I'd definitely like to see Humvees and machine guns, though. I'd also like to be able to weld metal plates onto civilian vehicles (at the cost of an increase in weight, and therefore a decrease in speed) for some basic armour.

Helicopters I'm not too sure about. If there was an island off the coast and the map, in general, was larger then absolutely. Currently the map feels too small to accommodate them. Helicopters wouldn't be added for a long, long while yet; so I imagine that the map will see some improvements before the devs even thing about air vehicles.

• Like 1

It's not a god damn war game why do you need these things?

It doesn't matter if they're hard to maintain they're pointless 'cept for being swaggy and blowing people up, for lols? So yeah pointless.

The only thing they would ever actually be useful for is clearing out a horde but I struggle to think of any situation where you would even need to. Besides if they spawn at your base suddenly but hopefully that doesn't happen(probably will for a while when they're still setting it up)

Grenades are enough already we don't need something that effectively makes a group of dickbags invincible if you think people would get these things to help people you're deluded, maybe one in a million.

Cars will be dangerous enough we don't need actual armoured military vehicles.

• Like 1

Its a game that takes place after a disease pandemic hits a third world country during a bloody civil war involving two super powers. While I agree we don't need MBTs and helicopters, light military vehicles with distinct weaknesses should be implemented. They also have constructive uses. Groups equipped with armored transports can ferry others to safety though certain hot zones for a fee or out of good intent.

Something like this has it's clear flaws and need for maintenance, while being geologically correct:

http://www.mortarinvestments.eu/products/armoured-vehicles-4/ot-810-90#currency=USD

Something like this can protect you in flat lands, but could be lost or destroyed easily in urban or mountainous terrain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-40

Then you have something like this, where it's offensive role can be gutted, or left with a manned turret at the cost of having to feed it new parts to replace worn down ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_M-ATV

Its a game that takes place after a disease pandemic hits a third world country during a bloody civil war involving two super powers. While I agree we don't need MBTs and helicopters, light military vehicles with distinct weaknesses should be implemented. They also have constructive uses. Groups equipped with armored transports can ferry others to safety though certain hot zones for a fee or out of good intent.

Something like this has it's clear flaws and need for maintenance, while being geologically correct:

http://www.mortarinvestments.eu/products/armoured-vehicles-4/ot-810-90#currency=USD

Something like this can protect you in flat lands, but could be lost or destroyed easily in urban or mountainous terrain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-40

Then you have something like this, where it's offensive role can be gutted, or left with a manned turret at the cost of having to feed it new parts to replace worn down ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_M-ATV

Yeah they could be used to help people, certainly. But more often than not they wouldn't be, ferry people? More like run them over.

Even if people had noble intent nobody would go near them anyway unless they thought they could take the guys inside out.

I don't believe anything that gives a group of people such an extreme advantage should be added, playing in a group is already a huge advantage over just a single player no matter how geared.

I would appreciate the danger of course, to often I can play for hours and hours and encounter nobody but there's still little chance of encountering them if there's 1 per map.

Those big military trucks should be operable at best as well as regular cars, that's all we really need from vehicles plus the ability to armour them with scrap metal.

Nothing with functional weapons.

Grenades are enough already we don't need something that effectively makes a group of dickbags invincible

Now, excluding the tank and heavily armoured military vehicle suggestion, why do you think an armoured car makes someone invincible?

I've played a lot of ARMA and one of the most vulnerable places to be is in a vehicle.

Welding make shift armour onto a civilian vehicle and mounting LMGs is not far fetched and still not impossible to kill. Sure if you spray them with your AKM as they go past 100m away you wont kill them but if you snipe them in the weakpoints or sneak up close you will still be able to kill them. This would be to stop everyone with a 9mm+ from killing you and stealing your car that you've spent days fixing.

They should just implement shooting out of windows for passengers of a vehicle.

I hope the devs will make the gas stations dry and make you walk 10 miles siphoning gas from broken down cars to get a single jug of fuel.

There shouldn't be a "go-to" place for gas, and certainly not the same fuel for cars and helicopters.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Now, excluding the tank and heavily armoured military vehicle suggestion, why do you think an armoured car makes someone invincible?

I've played a lot of ARMA and one of the most vulnerable places to be is in a vehicle.

Welding make shift armour onto a civilian vehicle and mounting LMGs is not far fetched and still not impossible to kill. Sure if you spray them with your AKM as they go past 100m away you wont kill them but if you snipe them in the weakpoints or sneak up close you will still be able to kill them. This would be to stop everyone with a 9mm+ from killing you and stealing your car that you've spent days fixing.

Because how wouldn't it if they can shoot out of it? If they're adding cars they can't not add that feature otherwise there's no point.

With a car you can just run people over or have your buddies shoot them, what can a fresh spawn or someone who just found a Mosin or something do against a group of guys who're probably geared to the max from searching for parts?

Depends on the armouring too if you can cover the windshield at all people inside will be a bugger to shoot.

Not to mention even if you headshot the guy driving the car racing towards you...car isn't going to suddenly stop unless they're far away you're most likely dead.

And if not the others in side will get out and wreck you.

If you headshot the driver, the car will probably swerve off to one direction and crash or just keep going straight that direction, not stopping, giving you time to run away(Depending on what happens to the corpse and stuff.)

Edited by Askelon

i agree, i just brought the opposite extreme of tanks in some rare cases of groups of about 20 or so people are constantly helping out. i would say the reason for a tank would be to just have a artillery/wall you can move up to bases with

This makes me think you have a completely different vision of dayz than I do lol. I never ever see you moving up to assault a base, needing the cover of a tank. From my experience in the mod people don't tend to sit at there bases watching them, the base is more of a stash site, the rest of the time they will be out looting things to put there. Who knows maybe that will change with barricading.

I see engagements more along the lines of infantry skirmishes, or ambushes of unarmed vehicles. Having them unarmed makes them a great logistical tool, but a huge risk of getting shot due to noise, viability ect. Arming up small vehicles shrinks the risk factor a lot.

my goal id like to see in dayz: become well known for being a warlord on a server, leading my clan and working together, people who rebel die, and people who listen are rewarded, and can join our ranks, and share our ultimate goal.

sounds pretty badass doesn't it?

This can be done regardless of armed vehicles, just whatever the top tier weapns are would encite the same "warlord" ish reputation. But that's is something you can have very easily on something like Arma2 or Arma 3. I wouldn't be apposed to maybe one machine gun humviee....or maybe a 2xPK Vodnik for immersion reasons. But abundance of that type of vehicle is better left for other games I think. If im hearing massive battles going on between tanks, and groups of 20 or more people I really am not playing Dayz anymore, im in Battlefield....with human needs :)

The only way I see a tank getting in is maybe a wreck with a functional MG on the NWA or something. Everyone would always check it on approach, but a quick flank to it mid firefight could change the tide. Or even make 3 or 4 randomly spawn on the roads for bandits to build roadblocks/ambushes around.

Because how wouldn't it if they can shoot out of it? If they're adding cars they can't not add that feature otherwise there's no point.

With a car you can just run people over or have your buddies shoot them, what can a fresh spawn or someone who just found a Mosin or something do against a group of guys who're probably geared to the max from searching for parts?

Depends on the armouring too if you can cover the windshield at all people inside will be a bugger to shoot.

Not to mention even if you headshot the guy driving the car racing towards you...car isn't going to suddenly stop unless they're far away you're most likely dead.

The fresy with the mosin in the treeline is in a much stronger position than the 4 fully geared in the car ;)

Cars are deathtraps in the mod, always have been. Same goes for helis.....I once hit the engine of the huey with a m107 round....1 shot....7 death messages as it hit the ground :D

Edited by Karmaterror

It doesn't matter if they're hard to maintain they're pointless 'cept for being swaggy and blowing people up, for lols? So yeah pointless.

The only thing they would ever actually be useful for is clearing out a horde but I struggle to think of any situation where you would even need to. Besides if they spawn at your base suddenly but hopefully that doesn't happen(probably will for a while when they're still setting it up)

Grenades are enough already we don't need something that effectively makes a group of dickbags invincible if you think people would get these things to help people you're deluded, maybe one in a million.

Cars will be dangerous enough we don't need actual armoured military vehicles.

You CLEARLY didn't read the rest of the rest of the arguments i put up on this post, i said that this will take weeks to acquire, and if you went around "swaggy and blowing people up" you'd quickly loose it to some guy with a blaze who knows how to hide and shoot. but these vehicles would be better for base invasion, RP, when dayz might have a private hive, where a group of warlords might take a city, and become known on the server for having weapons.

Edited by over9000nukez

if a new spawn has a mosin, you could probably kill the gunner, the driver, or anyone inside, you could also hide.

this would make it badass for you to be a freshie, worrying about the warlords of the server, and as i stated like 5 times before, if you run around killing people on the coast, your gonna find a group of baddies who are bigger and stronger then you, or even just 1 guy with good aim/ a scope.

you see it every day on youtube "guy takes out 5 man squad solo!"

Edited by over9000nukez

This makes me think you have a completely different vision of dayz than I do lol. I never ever see you moving up to assault a base, needing the cover of a tank. From my experience in the mod people don't tend to sit at there bases watching them, the base is more of a stash site, the rest of the time they will be out looting things to put there. Who knows maybe that will change with barricading.

I see engagements more along the lines of infantry skirmishes, or ambushes of unarmed vehicles. Having them unarmed makes them a great logistical tool, but a huge risk of getting shot due to noise, viability ect. Arming up small vehicles shrinks the risk factor a lot.

This can be done regardless of armed vehicles, just whatever the top tier weapns are would encite the same "warlord" ish reputation. But that's is something you can have very easily on something like Arma2 or Arma 3. I wouldn't be apposed to maybe one machine gun humviee....or maybe a 2xPK Vodnik for immersion reasons. But abundance of that type of vehicle is better left for other games I think. If im hearing massive battles going on between tanks, and groups of 20 or more people I really am not playing Dayz anymore, im in Battlefield....with human needs :)

The only way I see a tank getting in is maybe a wreck with a functional MG on the NWA or something. Everyone would always check it on approach, but a quick flank to it mid firefight could change the tide. Or even make 3 or 4 randomly spawn on the roads for bandits to build roadblocks/ambushes around.

constructive reply, i honestly think having these military vehicles would make the RP nicer as well, also infuriating maybe not a base, but a city, and putting it under martial law. those are the kind of things id like to see, base take overs, city take overs, post-apocalypse governments, warlords. i think the main use for a tank for me would just to have it stationary at your base, so when they come in you could be able to use it as a "turret" same with any mounted gunners, a moving turret.

if a new spawn has a mosin, you could probably kill the gunner, the driver, or anyone inside, you could also hide.

this would make it badass for you to be a freshie, worrying about the warlords of the server, and as i stated like 5 times before, if you run around killing people on the coast, your gonna find a group of baddies who are bigger and stronger then you, or even just 1 guy with good aim/ a scope.

you see it every day on youtube "guy takes out 5 man squad solo!"

That only happens right now because guns aren't set up properly those kind of shots won't be easy to make in the full release at all.

Plus you'd have to be very experienced to pull it off and if you miss the driver once they're going to zigzag there's no way you can be so good that you can consistently do it so for most people they're going to be almost unkillable unless in an unarmoured vehicle.

>with a car you can just run people over or have your buddies shoot them

I think you are highly under estimating the value of cars. There is only gonna be like 10-15 per server and they are gonna take a lot of effort to keep running. You think people are gonna be drifting cherno in them?

>what can a fresh spawn or someone who just found a Mosin or something do against a group of guys who're probably geared to the max from searching for parts?

What can a fresh spawn do to someone with an Axe? Hide or run like fuck in the opposite direction. The games not supposed to be fair.

>Depends on the armouring too if you can cover the windshield at all people inside will be a bugger to shoot.

Good, I think the windscreen and side windows should be mostly covered other than small gaps to see through. a 2ft (ish) high slit in the front and rear windscreen and 1x1ft (ish) slits in the doors. You wouldn't have to armour every window, you could pick and choose, each one adding weight and taking away visibility. Can you imagine how hard seeing through those slits is gonna be? That wouldn't matter cause 3rd person. But the added weight will still be enough to make armouring your car tough. slower speeds means more fuel consumption. Plus you'd have to make the armour in the first place, and you'd need tools to stick it on as well.

I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of cars in this game, they aren't weapons used to kill people, they're for traveling and moving loot. Adding armour, guns and the possibility to shoot out the windows just makes them much more suited for raiding places. If one turns up you run away or hide and try take them out, same as you would if 4 guys with automatics and snipers came by.

Edited by Agentstapler
  • Like 1

That only happens right now because guns aren't set up properly those kind of shots won't be easy to make in the full release at all.

Plus you'd have to be very experienced to pull it off and if you miss the driver once they're going to zigzag there's no way you can be so good that you can consistently do it so for most people they're going to be almost unkillable unless in an unarmoured vehicle.

>That only happens right now because guns aren't set up properly those kind of shots won't be easy to make in the full release at all.

Is that true? I didn't know they where changing how guns work.

And what about people with automatics? They could spray an unarmoured car and kill everyone with 1 mag. They should be near unkillable in an armoured car. Up close, -100m larger rounds should penetrate making it still possible to kill them, far away people would have to snipe through the gaps in the armour or focus the unarmored parts of the vehicle.

Also, in future can you quote the comments you're replying too, it's easier to read, thanks :) LOL! my mistake, the quote isn't included in when I quote you and I was reading it in my comment XD

Edited by Agentstapler

I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of cars in this game, they aren't weapons used to kill people, they're for traveling and moving loot. Adding armour, guns and the possibility to shoot out the windows just makes them much more suited for raiding places. If one turns up you run away or hide and try take them out, same as you would if 4 guys with automatics and snipers came by.

I think you're misunderstanding the people who play this game :P

They're never going to be that hard to maintain, not for a group of four buddies one guy can just carry all the car related stuff, another the driver and the other two AKM's.

It's only going to be possible to take people in cars out who are heading towards you if they can't shoot back, which would just be a lame thing to not include.

The problem is you can't run away from a car at least guys you could get away from but if you're anywhere out in the open at all you're utterly screwed.

I'm not saying no to cars at all but mounted guns and armoured vehicles would just be ridiculous. Where would people be finding all the 30-50 cal rounds for a mounted machine gun anyway?

Another thing is that they'd make it far too easy to handle zombies besides a barricaded base nothing should effectively make you invincible against them.

I think you're misunderstanding the people who play this game :P

They're never going to be that hard to maintain, not for a group of four buddies one guy can just carry all the car related stuff, another the driver and the other two AKM's.

It's only going to be possible to take people in cars out who are heading towards you if they can't shoot back, which would just be a lame thing to not include.

The problem is you can't run away from a car at least guys you could get away from but if you're anywhere out in the open at all you're utterly screwed.

I'm not saying no to cars at all but mounted guns and armoured vehicles would just be ridiculous. Where would people be finding all the 30-50 cal rounds for a mounted machine gun anyway?

Another thing is that they'd make it far too easy to handle zombies besides a barricaded base nothing should effectively make you invincible against them.

>I think your misunderstanding the people who play this game :P

>

>They're never going to be that hard to maintain, not for a group of four buddies one guy can just carry all the car related stuff, another the driver and the other two AKM's.

To operate the car and a gun you would need 2 guys, one driving one shooting. The shooter should be fairly exposed though he should have the option to duck in the car.

>The problem is you can't run away from a car at least guys you could get away from but if you're anywhere out in the open at all you're utterly screwed.

Then, the question is what the fuck where you out in the open for? :D

>*snip* Where would people be finding all the 30-50 cal rounds for a mounted machine gun anyway.

They wouldn't. That's the point, the rounds would be so rare you'd only use them if you had too. Besides, a mounted gun could just be an AKM and drum mag, or an RPK, doesn't have to be anything drastic. (imagine the passenger seat next to the driver, there could be one mounted on the dashboard and another place would be the rear (a hole cut in the roof above the back seats). Hell, don't even make them mounted for all I care, just let us cut holes in things and "Set" our guns up on them. The only advantage mounting guns would give is less recoil which isn't really necessary.

>Another thing is that they'd make it far too easy to handle zombies besides a barricaded base nothing should effectively make you invincible against them.

I agree, Large amounts of zombies should be able to effectively counter vehicles. For example hitting zombies should slow down your cars speed and/or damage it. if you try drive through 10 zombies at slow speed they should be able to slow/stop the car making you have to get out and kill them or "wiggle" the car free (I can see that being AWESOME in arma /s). That or they can damage vehicles.

Plus a fully armored poorly maintained vehicle should guzzle fuel, meaning you've gotta go around siphoning gas tanks and stuff for fuel (the fuel stations shouldn't work like they used to). So there is another opportunity for people to take these vehicles out. If there were 2 people in the vehicle group it would be possible for one guy to take them both out, easy for 2 coordinated guys. If there where 3 people in the vehicle group 1 guy would really struggle, 2 coordinated guys should be able to handle it and 3 coordinated guys wouldn't have a problem. But they'd all have to be coordinated and it depends on how good the vehicle group is.

Also, wouldn't tonnes of broken cars be tougher on the server than tonnes of static items and a few cars?

Edited by Agentstapler

>I think your misunderstanding the people who play this game :P

>

>They're never going to be that hard to maintain, not for a group of four buddies one guy can just carry all the car related stuff, another the driver and the other two AKM's.

To operate the car and a gun you would need 2 guys, one driving one shooting. The shooter should be fairly exposed though he should have the option to duck in the car.

>The problem is you can't run away from a car at least guys you could get away from but if you're anywhere out in the open at all you're utterly screwed.

Then, the question is what the fuck where you out in the open for? :D

>*snip* Where would people be finding all the 30-50 cal rounds for a mounted machine gun anyway.

They wouldn't. That's the point, the rounds would be so rare you'd only use them if you had too. Besides, a mounted gun could just be an AKM and drum mag, or an RPK, doesn't have to be anything drastic. (imagine the passenger seat next to the driver, there could be one mounted on the dashboard and another place would be the rear (a hole cut in the roof above the back seats). Hell, don't even make them mounted for all I care, just let us cut holes in things and "Set" our guns up on them. The only advantage mounting guns would give is less recoil which isn't really necessary.

>Another thing is that they'd make it far too easy to handle zombies besides a barricaded base nothing should effectively make you invincible against them.

I agree, Large amounts of zombies should be able to effectively counter vehicles. For example hitting zombies should slow down your cars speed and/or damage it. if you try drive through 10 zombies at slow speed they should be able to slow/stop the car making you have to get out and kill them or "wiggle" the car free (I can see that being AWESOME in arma /s). That or they can damage vehicles.

Plus a fully armored poorly maintained vehicle should guzzle fuel, meaning you've gotta go around siphoning gas tanks and stuff for fuel (the fuel stations shouldn't work like they used to). So there is another opportunity for people to take these vehicles out. If there were 2 people in the vehicle group it would be possible for one guy to take them both out, easy for 2 coordinated guys. If there where 3 people in the vehicle group 1 guy would really struggle, 2 coordinated guys should be able to handle it and 3 coordinated guys wouldn't have a problem. But they'd all have to be coordinated and it depends on how good the vehicle group is.

Also, wouldn't tonnes of broken cars be tougher on the server than tonnes of static items and a few cars?

Yeah, no one ever implied that they NEED to add M2HBs or DShKs or some other sort of .50 caliber machine gun. It'd be just as well off to have GPMGs and LMGs mounted, like PKMs, M240s, and M60s. The only advantage to having one mounted on the back of a pickup over shooting out of the car or carrying it on foot would be lowered recoil and a wider angle to shoot from, but of course also resulting in a larger angle to GET SHOT from.

It's really not a gigantic advantage that affords you much over simply firing regular guns from the pickup and having the pickup to begin with. The fact that you have a truck is the force multiplier, not the fact that there's an MG you put on the back.

And you're right, if you see a bunch of guys coming in a pickup truck (or any vehicle, for that matter) and you're a fresh spawn, you shouldn't be trying to engage them anyway. Typically when squads cover the coast, they actually stop and check buildings for people, whereas people in a car are more likely to rush through a town if they haven't directly spotted anybody.