SomeCallMeNomad (DayZ)

We need a better indicator on how cold we are

^ Topic. I don't mean the thermometer, which does come in handy, but I think we need a way to tell how cold we are without a thermometer too. Something simple, like maybe the colder you are, the slower you go? I just don't think that "I am cooling down" and, a "cold" status is enough.

I know that the temp system is a WIP, but that's all the more reason to suggest things ;)

Thoughts?

EDIT: "What I mean is I want a rough estimation of how long I have until I need a fire, not necessarily the exact Celsius of my body temperature :P "

Edited by SomeCallMeNomad

way to tell how cold we are without a thermometer too

I dunno, how would we know in real life with one? 

• Like 1

I dunno, how would we know in real life with one? 

You think you wouldn't be able to tell how close to death you were in real life out in the cold? :P

You think you wouldn't be able to tell how close to death you were in real life out in the cold? :P

I do, i think thats what the statuses are supposed to be. 

I do, i think thats what the statuses are supposed to be. 

Ya, but they're not as accurate as I feel they should be right now. What I mean is I want a rough estimation of how long I have until I need a fire, not necessarily the exact Celsius of my body temperature :P

Baker is not fit for this conversation, he works in -40 all day long and walks around likes its normal.  I like the current system, I do not really think a color coating etc should be added.  Just exume caution in the elements to be proactive vs reactive.

• Like 2

Baker is not fit for this conversation, he works in -40 all day long and walks around likes its normal.  I like the current system, I do not really think a color coating etc should be added.  Just exume caution in the elements to be proactive vs reactive.

-50 with the windchill.

• Like 1

Ya, but they're not as accurate as I feel they should be right now. What I mean is I want a rough estimation of how long I have until I need a fire, not necessarily the exact Celsius of my body temperature :P

As steak said I've lived in the cold my whole life. You don't know really, if the status messages were accurate they would simply say "jebus fakin chryst it's jebus cold, for the love of god this is bullshit. This is my last winter here dammit, I'm gonna get a job in Vancouver flippin burgers if a have to, dammit dammit. 'you can dress for it' my ass' "

Edited by Bakermensch
  • Like 1

Seriously? You have to have some kind of indicators all around your game window because hitting Tab and looking next to your character models head is too hard?

I like the current system, I do not really think a color coating etc should be added.  Just exume caution in the elements to be proactive vs reactive.

Well surely, at the very least, making it to where you ran/walked a bit slower depending on how cold you are, would add to the immersion? More consequences than just death after forty minutes?

I suppose that last part is another discussion though :P

Seriously? You have to have some kind of indicators all around your game window because hitting Tab and looking next to your character models head is too hard?

Bro, do you even read?

YWhat I mean is I want a rough estimation of how long I have until I need a fire

As steak said I've lived in the cold my whole life. You don't know really, if the status messages were accurate they would simply say "jebus fakin chryst it's jebus cold, for the love of god this is bullshit. This is my last winter here dammit, I'm gonna get a job in Vancouver flippin burgers if a have to, dammit dammit. 'you can dress for it' my ass' "

hahah your right my car broke down last winter and I found my self having to walk home in -0 temperatures. instead of moving slower I tried to move faster to keep my body heat up and like you post said I cussed and cursed the heavens the whole time I think at one point I even gave the middle finger to the almighty.

• Like 1

What I mean is I want a rough estimation of how long I have until I need a fire, not necessarily the exact Celsius of my body temperature

The "cold" indicator works pretty well here - as soon as you get red messages you should start trying to get warmer. Otherwise it depends on how well nourished you are - people with a lot of energy in their body might go on longer but thats not something the game should tell you.

And as I said, do you really need the indicator cluttered around your screen? The current indicators change color according to how bad off the status is. The worse the status the darker the red.

Something like a thermometer inside the inventory would be nice, or a indicator like the food/water/health indicators we have now.

I'm tired of playing as a little kid that constantly bitches about "im hungry, I'm thirsty, I'm warming up, I'm cooling down, I'm freezing, I'm hot, I'm starving, I'm this, I'm that"

We need a new notification system than what we have right now. Why not a system that actually ties into the game? For hunger add stomach growling and it gets louder and more violent as the level of hunger increases. For bleeding why not visual (and I'm not talking about the shitty waterfall of blood we have right now). And we could add sudden sharp yells of pain.

Just some examples.

Because I am sure everyone is tired of having to constantly look down at the lower left screen to see the status without checking their inventory.

• Like 1

Shaking hands and the eventual inability to use them without warming them up first?

"My hands are too cold to do that" would make people think about getting warm.

Shaking hands and the eventual inability to use them without warming them up first?

"My hands are too cold to do that" would make people think about getting warm.

Why not add only the immersive part of that? (Shaking)

The message would just add onto the other hundreds of complaints that the character would be able to make.

I always have disliked the status messages, but at the same time I don't want a GUI like the mod had. Shaking is a good way, maybe one or 2 cold animations could start to play aswell. Suppose the argument for more in depth status messages could be made, like say

Im cooling off

Im cold

I cant feel my fingers (at which point maybe there is a rndom delay when you try to pull the trigger on a gun)

I cant feel my hands (pretty much means "Make fire now!" and when you do it takes a lot longer)

But like I said I don't like the messages already, if I have to have my eyes glued to statuses all the time how is it that different from a GUI. Much better to go immersive and have an effect on our toon to indicate whats wrong aswell as sounds and animations for more clues :)

Shaking is an early sign that you are heading towards hypothermia. If that trend continues will get worse all the way to hypothermia and death.

How about  these being available to interrupt the cycle.

stanleythermos1qtct1640gnbk.jpg

You are shaking = drink hot liquids.

I think the whole status messages thing needs to be scrapped. As many people state; it is annoying---your char sounds like a whiny baby.

A graphical HUD would be so much better. I don't see why the devs feel such aversion to this. It doesn't need to be on screen at all times, and it doesn't even need to be 100% accurate as to the state of your char. It could function much like the toolbar in that it can be toggled on or off.