CANUCKinNZ

Would They Do It Again?

So sure the creators and devs have made a butt load of money from this release already. But do you think if they could have seen the future or reaction that they have been getting from the whinging minority would they have done it this way again?

I think the silent majority of people know how game development and testing works. But the majority of people on the forums are the loud minority who comment or complain the most. I am not sure if having the general public being alpha testers was the way to go.

Whenever Hicks or Dean tweet anything it's almost a guarantee that within the first 5 responses someone's going to say when do I get my humvee with rocket launchers. It's got to wear on them. I'm sure they just move on from it but do you think they would have done more internal testing first if they knew the shitstorm of criticism they were going to get?

Doubt it. I think they were expecting that kind of reaction.

People were pissed off back in the mod that was free, blaming Rocket that they bought Arma 2 just for dayz and that they want their money back (yeah, get that logic).

DayZ was bound to recieve criticism even if released as a perfect game.

Thousands of different people, thousands of different expectations. Nothing you can do to please them all

• Like 8

Get all your profit upfront for an unfinished project? I'm sure this isn't the last project to do so.

Or the first.

• Like 5

Good devs don't drop the ball as soon as somebody complains. As a content creator, of sorts, I sometimes see negative comments on my own content. Unless it's genuine criticism I ignore it. Might put me in a bad mood for a few minutes, but that doesn't mean I'm going to change what I do or how I do it, especially when I know that thousands of other people like my work. Finding negative comments is easy, and finding positive ones can be hard, but I know that the silent majority are content, or even happy with what I put out. I suppose it's the same sort of thing here. I doubt the devs are put off by a bunch of whiney 15-year olds, especially when compared to the enormous fanbase that has grown around this game.

• Like 1

Im sure the developers have been around the block enough to know that the majority of people who post on forums in NO WAY represent the majority of players... its been this way on every game forum since the dawn of time.

I don't even agree that the forums are particularly negative in their overall tone, in terms of user feedback.

I think in general the reaction has been positive.

• Like 1

DayZ was bound to recieve criticism even if released as a perfect game.

The point is - DayZ Standalone hasn't even been released yet. It's in Early Access Alpha, at least a year or two out from an actual release build. This is what people forget. How can you negatively criticize something that's not even at a release build yet and also the devs are keeping an eye/ear on what the community is asking for via Reddit, the forums, and also the Feedback Tracker?

Doubt it. I think they were expecting that kind of reaction.

As they should be. Comes with the territory, and they know that.

Get all your profit upfront for an unfinished project? I'm sure this isn't the last project to do so.

Certainly not. Other than major publishers (Activision, EA, Ubisoft, etc.) you will only see more of this. If it is done appropriately (read: not corrupt), it has the benefit of allowing for a bigger budget to make for a more impressive game. Major publishers have their own funds to make this happen, but crowdfunding allows for smaller developers to produce games at a level of quality that would otherwise be prohibitively expensive. Some of the best game concepts come from smaller developers like the DayZ team, and they deserve the opportunity to compete with big-budget publishers.

• Like 1

The point is - DayZ Standalone hasn't even been released yet. It's in Early Access Alpha, at least a year or two out from an actual release build. This is what people forget. How can you negatively criticize something that's not even at a release build yet and also the devs are keeping an eye/ear on what the community is asking for via Reddit, the forums, and also the Feedback Tracker?

The subreddit is not what it used to be in the early mod days. Not in the least. It is full of kids (and i am not using this as an insult, i am 100% certain that the majority of people there are under the age 16) who downvote every legitimate discussion(preventing it from being seen), and upvote comments bashing the game.

There is a DayZ Underground private sub where the mature discussion goes on, but im not sure that the devs are familliar with it.

• Like 1

Im sure the developers have been around the block enough to know that the majority of people who post on forums in NO WAY represent the majority of players... its been this way on every game forum since the dawn of time.

The majority have seemingly given up.

When I log in and search the servers, usually only two out of all of them are near, or at, capacity.  The rest have 1 to 5 people in them.  

If any were like I was, I 'donated' the funds for the time I spent in the mod, and for hopefully a little fun in the stand-alone.  By and large it's a waste of time, and everything 'researched' and implemented in the standalone could have been run in the devs' offices and tested out.  

If they continue on with the trickle of added content to the existing engine, we can all be rest-assured they are stringing us along to live off of the proceeds.  

I don't want to see added content, and I don't want to see vehicles.  All I, and many others, want is a step toward an actual platform that supports the things we do have, and is worthy of writing code within to grow around.  This whole Arma engine is a joke.

Edited by Mambo
  • Like 1

Well, I guess Mambo and me will be banned or suspended from the forums becase we were baited into telling the truth about the game. And hurting the "feelings" of Bohemia and rest of the staff is apparently a big deal.

The difference between your and Mambo's post is that while Mambo is not happy with the game, he expresses his feelings in a fairly polite and calm way. That's alright as he is free to express his opinion after all. Your post was offensive and questioning the integrity of the dev team which is a no no (as is questioning mod actions).

Since you are relatively new to the forums I'll just warn you this way, but please, keep the above in mind.

Cheers!

Edited by Accolyte
  • Like 1

Well, I guess Mambo and me will be banned or suspended from the forums becase we were baited into telling the truth about the game. And hurting the "feelings" of Bohemia and rest of the staff is apparently a big deal.

Mambo has participated on the Forums in the past in a reasonable manner, right now he is unhappy with the SA as his last few posts show but I'm not going to ban someone because of that, he's been around since the early days and some of his posts are quite interesting and well thought out, for example...

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/89276-all-that-work-of-fixing-up-the-elektro-bus-only-to-be-unlucky/?view=findpost&p=838934

You on the other hand are no more than a Troll, a poor one at that so don't try and bring others down to your level.

To answer the question, I believe that BI considered the final result of the product rather than the supposedly "reaction that they have been getting from the whinging minority".

Other BI titles have also gone through a similar marketing process, so I believe they knew the risks and will continue in the future to test their games with public participation.

They may fine tune or adjust but yes, I believe they will.

• Like 1

So sure the creators and devs have made a butt load of money from this release already. But do you think if they could have seen the future or reaction that they have been getting from the whinging minority would they have done it this way again?

I think the silent majority of people know how game development and testing works. But the majority of people on the forums are the loud minority who comment or complain the most. I am not sure if having the general public being alpha testers was the way to go.

Whenever Hicks or Dean tweet anything it's almost a guarantee that within the first 5 responses someone's going to say when do I get my humvee with rocket launchers. It's got to wear on them. I'm sure they just move on from it but do you think they would have done more internal testing first if they knew the shitstorm of criticism they were going to get?

I feel it is spoiling some of the magic, like seeing an unfinished painting. I also wished they would switch to releasing every 0.05 

• Like 1

The majority have seemingly given up.

When I log in and search the servers, usually only two out of all of them are near, or at, capacity. The rest have 1 to 5 people in them.

If any were like I was, I 'donated' the funds for the time I spent in the mod, and for hopefully a little fun in the stand-alone. By and large it's a waste of time, and everything 'researched' and implemented in the standalone could have been run in the devs' offices and tested out.

If they continue on with the trickle of added content to the existing engine, we can all be rest-assured they are stringing us along to live off of the proceeds.

I don't want to see added content, and I don't want to see vehicles. All I, and many others, want is a step toward an actual platform that supports the things we do have, and is worthy of writing code within to grow around. This whole Arma engine is a joke.

this guy speaks the truth.. if u think the majority of players are satisfied, your dreaming.. most of the player base has long since moved on to other games

Yeah... in my experience I see thousands of players daily on full servers at less then 60ping. 

Id expect players to move on to other games, this game is not done... you cant really commit to 1/2 a game, didnt we all know this was 1/2 a game coming in? I expect most whiney forum haters didnt know, or refused to understand. Go talk to a player in game, then 10 more in game, then 100 more in game... youll quickly figure out how the majority feel.

this guy speaks the truth.. if u think the majority of players are satisfied, your dreaming.. most of the player base has long since moved on to other games

Gee, it's almost as if people are waiting for the finished product before logging all of their hours into the game...

You think that's an indication that people think the game sucks? I think the only thing being indicated is that you're clueless. People play more than one game. Even then - whenever I check, the DayZ servers are packed. Moreso than "most played" on Steam.

That's right - go to Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and sort the servers unfiltered. It's unlikely you'll find 200 people playing in the entire world in any given moment on regular ol' CS servers. Do the same with DayZ? I usually see at least 300+ collectively players playing on low-latency servers at any given moment. How can players be universally unsatisfied when it clearly has more client/server activity than any other game on Steam?  :huh:

Edited by t1337Dude

Yes I do think they would do much of the project differently now that Rocket has some valid experience in how to do it.

Tailoring his communications to fan boys who cannot look at anything delivered with a critical eye instead of tailoring them to reasoned objective people that read what he says and presume he means it was a big mistake.

But as to taking the money up front to muddle through the game, no I do not think they would change it, they had no choice. 

No one was offering them the 60 million its apparently going to take to replace the freely developed mod for some reason. So they did what they had to do.

They "micro" financed it, and with the progress in the last month its coming along.

Here's the scary and beautiful thing about public tested games:

A) Scary for two reasons:

1) Professional testers are out of luck and out of business with smaller projects where they could get the experience to work in a big company

2) The developers could realize the job is too big and grab the money and run

B) Good for these:

1) The game gets a ton of bad testers (no offense) which plummets the testing quality for a bunch of things HOWEVER it allows for things such as balance and large-scale content to be done quickly and efficiently

2) The pressure is off for releasing the game as people can buy it to get their quick fix

3) The projects gets fund and is able to keep running

Edited by DoomDude1

Well the player stats aren't so bad for an Early Access game, there has been a significant drop since release which is only to be expected.

Player stats have been stable over the last 3 months.

Well the player stats aren't so bad for an Early Access game, there has been a significant drop since release which is only to be expected.

Player stats have been stable over the last 3 months.

Im finding that very hard to believe tbh,with all the hacking and duping that was going on tbh....

This is why i said before about the anti cheat being a pro-active system instead of a re-active system,but i got banned for a week or 2 for that....

Just like Grimmy Rick got caught up in a dodgy server....and banned mind you...

when do I get my humvee with rocket launchers. 

Oh I see what you did there you bad boy!

Anyway Bohemia Interactive is here for over 10 years, I doubt they would stuff their pockets with money and just leave.

As for trolls and whiners.....well you always will have some, that's just how the world is.

• Like 1

That's assuming they care about the whining. You give too much credit to the silent majority, i think most of them don't care and don't get worked up by a game.

Again that's assuming they read any of this seriously.