Jumbaliah

What ever happened to jumping?

I remember Pre-Alpha Dean released a video of him and others displaying simple mechanics of the game. Looting cars and buildings, looking under things, equipping helmets and jumping over a pile of trash. 

What ever happened to this? Does anyone else remember this video? Points to whom ever can find it! 

Press V.

I think you're confused about what I mean by jumping. I'm not sure how else to explain it other than using the word jumping again... 

why would you want to leave the ground in dayz with arma physics

The thought scares me more then zombies in alot of ways.

• Like 2

why would you want to leave the ground in dayz with arma physics

That's the thing. In the video I watched it actually looked really smooth. The animation had the character lift off the ground, do a nice parabolic movement over the pile, lift his legs up to his knees as you would while jumping, extend them as he lands, then finally land. I was really impressed with the smoothness of the animation. 

That's the thing. In the video I watched it actually looked really smooth. The animation had the character lift off the ground, do a nice parabolic movement over the pile, lift his legs up to his knees as you would while jumping, extend them as he lands, then finally land. I was really impressed with the smoothness of the animation. 

Are you thinking of the double jump vs vault animation?  Correct me please if I'm wrong but do you still need a primary in your hands to complete this?

• Like 1

Do you mean like jumping straight up and down like a normal mmo and not the hopping over things that v does?

Do you mean like jumping straight up and down like a normal mmo and not the hopping over things that v does?

Basically! Just as you can jump in real life. Can't believe i can't find this video on youtube. Dean was showing off people jumping over piles of trash. Maybe It was all a dream but i could have swore he even exclaimed "Yes, you will be able to jump in the standalone." 

It was a video of him and maybe 4 other people sitting in the street wearing motorcycle helmets. It started off by showing the head movements and some early gestures. Then they went to show the looting of vehicles and Dean fixed his camera on a couple of people who jumped or more-so leaped over a pile of trash that was sitting in the street. 

if you remapped your movement (like to the arrow keys), you can't jump over things or look at your inventory while running.  if you go back to wasd you'll be able to jump etc..

If you're running and the game likes you and wants to be nice you will leap over things when you press z. sometimes you will also just run into the fence or whatever you want to jump. And then sometimes you'll stop and step over slowly. I think it used to depend on if you're hands were up and stuff but, I'm not sure about now.

I think you're confused about what I mean by jumping. I'm not sure how else to explain it other than using the word jumping again... 

I think you mean physics base jumping. Right now the model just does a jump animation, the character controller (move collision) stays on the ground but gets dissabled and placed towards landing spot. With physics a force is used to make the player go up (or a position) and the physix gravity will make the player go down = modern realtime jumping.

Is that what you meant?

I would love it if we got an actual jump that replaced the god awful clunky unresponsive vault. 

The thought scares me more then zombies in alot of ways.

I still remember the ladders.... The ladders man....

I would love it if we got an actual jump that replaced the god awful clunky unresponsive vault. 

Im sure this will be replaced, the clunky unresponsive one is there to prevent one of the ways of getting stuck in walls. Press V before you get to the obstical instead of at it.

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 1

I still remember the ladders.... The ladders man....

You have no idea. I give you pre-alpha ladders.

GrayWideCarp.gif

• Like 11

GrayWideCarp.gif

There is so much win in this... I dont even...

GrayWideCarp.gif

That's the best thing ever.

Anyway I'd love it if we could vault over things, as in place a hand on a fence for instance and jump over.

And maybe vaulting over walls too, like when you swing over them if that makes sense.

Of course you should have your weapons put away to use the latter and when stamina is introduced it should burn it like wildfire but it could still save your life.

Watching that gif, still laughing after 10th+ view. My jaw hurts a bit now. :( LOL.

I like how he climbs up the ladder ever-so-slowly, inch by inch, knowing impeding doom is creeping up on his poor pantsless soul.

Edited by bonesnap
  • Like 1

Double-tap V you mean. Pressing V vaults

I've never needed to double tap. It's just random if my guy hops or steps over.

• Like 1

I've never needed to double tap. It's just random if my guy hops or steps over.

Really? But V is bound to vault, and double tap is bound to jump. Weird..