SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

had a bit of dayz today and gotta say, this exp version plays way smoother than the "stable" one in many ways, but there are a few things like the hotbar not working correctly,

unsure if its my keyboard but sometimes i gotta press like "1" to get my mosin out like 3 times until it comes out. same goes for putting it on the back.

another thing would be the game crashes, counted 3 today, + one half crash, was talking to a guy in berezino in the worst moment ever, shit was about to go down there,  there he told me about some bandit with a mosin and his friends.

game froze, thought it would crash but it wouldnt, pulled out the task manager to close the game while the game is freezing but that dude still talking to me as if i was there,

glad he was actually ok and didnt kill me, he had at least 10 seconds where i was not on my character and was just standing still, him right next to me. after messing around

i just clicked back into game from desktop and it worked.

Edited by Axezeroone

all US/UK servers are dead except 1 first person which is full...

thanks Obama.

• Like 4

I've noticed first the US East servers went down and didnt come back up.  Eventually I was able to get on an AU/NZ server and it eventually crashed and never came back up. Now it looks like only a couple servers are working.

• Like 1

Question, just because I'm curious: Is it always the same servers that stay up the longest? Or is it totally random?

Question, just because I'm curious: Is it always the same servers that stay up the longest? Or is it totally random?

I noticed uk-01 stayed up the longest when I played and also Eugene mentioned that the servers don't all have the same settings. So there is, in effect, lots of different experiments going on.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

It's got to be popularity/usage based.

The servers go down after being played on near capacity all at about the same interval after being filled.

• Like 1

You seem to have a point BioHaze. It seems to me too that servers with higher ping (mostly for US Players I guess) stay up the longest. I just realized this for the first time today.

Another question: Is there something like a "Temperature Map"? What I mean is a map that shows where the temperature is normally the mildest / coldest (on hills, in Valleys, at the beach, etc.) or is temperature not location based yet?

You seem to have a point BioHaze. It seems to me too that servers with higher ping (mostly for US Players I guess) stay up the longest. I just realized this for the first time today.

Another question: Is there something like a "Temperature Map"? What I mean is a map that shows where the temperature is normally the mildest / coldest (on hills, in Valleys, at the beach, etc.) or is temperature not location based yet?

deffo notice it's warmer at low altitudes closer to the coast. Also Hicks was running around to get warm in the livestream today which is good.

Edited by freethink

Seems more of a crap shoot. Statistically speaking, server population appears to have little to do with it.  I've been on multiple servers since .50 hit exp. with 3 or 4 players where you lose connection, refresh the sever list, only to find said server is in the indefinite reboot cycle.  Friday morning, 2 players on AU/NZ 04, I was warming up in a deer feed shack, connection lost, server lost. Still seems like there's a memory leak, loot spawn issue or both that eventually hits a wall.  In general, I've experienced that both the AU/NZ and Singapore servers are less populated due to being above the ping threshold presets, however this behavior does not correlate well with server death.

Hmmm, I see.

I got my impression for this theory as it seemed I was following the same 40-50 players around to the next higher ping server which would crash within maybe 2-3 hours of it filling.

Could very well be coincidental in a way.

Difficult to say when we can't see details on the technical side I guess.

The Experimental First Person servers tend to survive the Loop-Boot the longest, from what I could see.   The order of the Experimental Third/First Person servers appears to be which ever one received the most player connections.

We invest our time and money to help further development of this game, we're investors. You can muddy the waters all you want, but at it's most basic form, we invest in this product. For shits and giggles though, lets remove all that from the table and at the end of the day we still have a company that is damaging it's reputation when they continue to release less than playable builds to the public. Is that the kind of pride you would take in your work?

You are warned that the title is a work in progress, in development, full of plenty of bugs and may even completely stop working at times. We go out of our way to communicate this, and even actively discourage people from buying the early access if they are not prepared to handle these interruptions.

Additionally, Experimental branch is labeled as -Unstable-, as is all the servers on this branch (labeled Unstable). Giving people the (heavily warned) option to participate in the development of the project does -not- change how software development works, nor does it change the approach and priority of the development.

If you don't like this (and I couldn't blame you if you do not) I fully encourage you to take a break and come back in our beta, or even release phases.

• Like 22

You are warned that the title is a work in progress, in development, full of plenty of bugs and may even completely stop working at times. We go out of our way to communicate this, and even actively discourage people from buying the early access if they are not prepared to handle these interruptions.

Additionally, Experimental branch is labeled as -Unstable-, as is all the servers on this branch (labeled Unstable). Giving people the (heavily warned) option to participate in the development of the project does -not- change how software development works, nor does it change the approach and priority of the development.

If you don't like this (and I couldn't blame you if you do not) I fully encourage you to take a break and come back in our beta, or even release phases.

said like a boss... lol

so to discuss some exp before I pop into it tomorrow...

are range finders working yet?

anyone able to confirm crashes/cop cars are spawning correctly?

anyone pimp'n the sledge? and does it do the justice it deserves?

leather sewing kits in game?

and do people think persistence is ready for stable yet???

will try and confirm anything not confirmed tomorrow...

happy hunting.

said like a boss... lol

so to discuss some exp before I pop into it tomorrow...

are range finders working yet?

anyone able to confirm crashes/cop cars are spawning correctly?

anyone pimp'n the sledge? and does it do the justice it deserves?

leather sewing kits in game?

and do people think persistence is ready for stable yet???

will try and confirm anything not confirmed tomorrow...

happy hunting.

Range finder is not working correctly. You can look through it, but it has no zoom nor range finding ability. i.e. useless.

Sledge hammer is invisible, but in game. I found one, it had no impact noise, was invisible in every sense.. in inventory, in hands, on ground. I didn't test it against a zed.. assumed it wouldn't work.

I found a cop car, but think it was just a static one. Police uniform in it otherwise uninteresting.

Defiantly not ready for stable, unless they have sorted out the crashing server issue. Apart from the serve issue it seems a good build.

The thing is, we dont want to take a break. We want it all and we want it now! :)

• Like 1

Range finder is not working correctly. You can look through it, but it has no zoom nor range finding ability. i.e. useless.

Sledge hammer is invisible, but in game. I found one, it had no impact noise, was invisible in every sense.. in inventory, in hands, on ground. I didn't test it against a zed.. assumed it wouldn't work.

I found a cop car, but think it was just a static one. Police uniform in it otherwise uninteresting.

Defiantly not ready for stable, unless they have sorted out the crashing server issue. Apart from the serve issue it seems a good build.

Shouldn't be any static police cars placed anymore.

Mr Hicks, apologies I know you get pestered all the time for info, suggestions e.t.c.. I was just wondering if it had been discussed for the Infected/Zombies to "Only" be killable with a headshot?? Regardless of the weapon be it melee or firearm, body shots would do nothing, maybe slow and/or knock them down, but only a headshot would kill them.

Just curious :)

Cheers

So one thing about 0.50 that I'm really loving to the point of I can't imagine going back is opening cans with basically all tools (some better than others) sure as we have it right now it's a little bugged (indestructible sardines), but this is a great direction to go.

• Like 1

So one thing about 0.50 that I'm really loving to the point of I can't imagine going back is opening cans with basically all tools (some better than others) sure as we have it right now it's a little bugged (indestructible sardines), but this is a great direction to go.

4% of food with an Axe :D

Well, it would be kind of cool to use multiple tools to get different results of how much is left. A screwdriver alone may lose a lot, but maybe if you just hit the tip into the can repeatedly with, say, a hammer, you just might get 8-12% more food out of it (depending on how much of a difference that makes :P)

Then again, you probably have to think about how much micro managing there really is need for.

Edited by Demonica

Mr Hicks, apologies I know you get pestered all the time for info, suggestions e.t.c.. I was just wondering if it had been discussed for the Infected/Zombies to "Only" be killable with a headshot?? Regardless of the weapon be it melee or firearm, body shots would do nothing, maybe slow and/or knock them down, but only a headshot would kill them.

Just curious :)

Cheers

Technically the 'zombies' are just regular humans. They can bleed to death just like me or you can.

• Like 3

Yes it is playable. The servers however will most likely not stay up.

I am also 99% sure that this damned walking bug is connected to fire. Every single time when I light a fire and I start moving (even after the fire is out) - BAM! I can't stop walking. It's like I'm drawn to someplace that wants to keep me moving.

In all seriousness, annoying but not making it unplayable.

Edited by Demonica

Check the small office building/bus depot/train station in the NW, close to Lopatino. There is always a static police car up there. Seems to be one in the shed behind the police station in Sevrograd too.

Edit: not calling you out or arguing, I am sure they were just overlooked. These are the only two I know of for sure..

Edited by Barnabus

Check the small office building/bus depot/train station in the NW, close to Lopatino.  There is always a static police car up there.  Seems to be one in the shed behind the police station in Sevrograd too.

Yeah one at Zlenogorsk also found an mp5 there