SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

I'm surprised no-one still commented the new feature about infected NPCs.

I spawned at the repairing garage/truck cemetery of Novo, and spotted an infected in the middle of the parking lot (WTF devs, shouldn't infecteds spawn/wander away from characters' spawnzones?!). I was unarmed, so I sneaked past him...walking crouched in the nearest building trying to remain behind his back, found a crowbar, sneaked back in the parking lot...and I bushwacked the damn drooling zombie! Never happened before. It respawned behind the buildings (WTF devs, it's a characters' spawnzone - not downtown Berezino) and he was able to spot me only when I closed on him - being 40-ish meters away and crouched made me invisible, even if I was inside his cone of view. That's good - they're not supposed to be human radars, just sick people.

Good job developers!

Edited by DocWolf

Zeds also seem to be way higher in numbers even in smaller towns. Ran past Solnichny when I had 3 of them on me, killed two and got two more only a minute or so later. With no weapon. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'm surprised no-one still commented the new feature about infected NPCs.

I spawned at the repairing garage/truck cemetery of Novo, and spotted an infected in the middle of the parking lot (WTF devs, shouldn't infecteds spawn/wander away from characters' spawnzones?!). I was unarmed, so I sneaked past him...walking crouched in the nearest building trying to remain behind his back, found a crowbar, sneaked back in the parking lot...and I bushwacked the damn drooling zombie! Never happened before. It respawned behind the buildings (WTF devs, it's a characters' spawnzone - not downtown Berezino) and he was able to spot me only when I closed on him - being 40-ish meters away and crouched made me invisible, even if I was inside his cone of view. That's good - they're not supposed to be human radars, just sick people.

Good job developers!

I'm not sure AI work has been implemented yet. They have behaved rather randomly in the past, sometimes acting completely oblivious to players, sometimes detecting them several hundred meters away, through walls and all. I suspect you may have just run across the former form of behaviour.

And I also don't think there are any rules in the game about zeds having to walk away from spawn points, or even not be near spawn points. Rather to the contrary, having zombies at spawnpoints would be an incentive for newspawns to get off the damn coast.

• Like 1

And I also don't think there are any rules in the game about zeds having to walk away from spawn points, or even not be near spawn points. Rather to the contrary, having zombies at spawnpoints would be an incentive for newspawns to get off the damn coast.

There's no rule, of course...but there should be one. Spawning in a zone with one or more infecteds when you're unarmed is an hazard: one that, added to food scarcity, high energy consumption, low stomach capacity, low spawnrate of warm clothes, inclement weather, low storage capacity, access to only two bandages...well, you get the point.

Not that the current 0.50 iteration is unplayable,  far from it - and many spawn zones don't have any infected at all. But positioning infecteds at the outskirts of the character spawn areas could be a good idea to decrease the probablity to pick up the short straw in the noobspawn death lottery.

Edited by DocWolf

Lol yes this ^ I would never have left my house in severograd if ma and pa hadn't succumb to the zombie virus ;) .

But I can't wait to get out of work and play experimental again this patch is literally the most exciting one since dayz standalone came out :0 !

• Like 1

There's no rule, of course...but there should be one. Spawning in a zone with one or more infecteds when you're unarmed is an hazard: one that, added to food scarcity, high energy consumption, low stomach capacity, low spawnrate of warm clothes, inclement weather, low storage capacity, access to only two bandages...well, you get the point.

Yes sure, lets get rid of the zombies, someone could get hurt.

• Like 4

Exactly, why should it be difficult to survive as a new spawn in a survival zombie game. I want all the challenge taken away please and fit an 'I Win' button for good measure.

• Like 1

I think its pretty helpfull (especially in the first hour of a new char) that you dont need to find an axe anymore in order to start a fire, since now stix (tested myself) and sheets of paper (only heard) can be used to fuel a fire.

• Like 2

I think its pretty helpfull (especially in the first hour of a new char) that you dont need to find an axe anymore in order to start a fire, since now stix (tested myself) and sheets of paper (only heard) can be used to fuel a fire.

It certainly takes the edge off of the weather impact if you've got the necessary materials more readily available. I rarely use a fire for very long anyway, so the ability to use sticks to keep a fire going for "just long enough" suits me just fine. More than likely, all I want to do was warm up real quick or speedily cook some meat and be on my way. This way I waste less of the "life" of an ax on chopping wood, too... which means I can use it to open cans (if need be), kill zombies endlessly, etc.

Peter also confirmed that the next build will go live next week.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 4

You don't need a log anymore to start a fire? Aw crap... Wish I'd known that one before. Still need matches though, and those can be quite a chore to find if you are already cold.

I wish there was lighters or the option to rub sticks together to make a fire. Or some fuel that can light a fire in rain if you are too far away from a house.

That's another thing - has someone figured out yet when the "not safe" message pops up when you try to light a fire indoors? Is it in every house?

Edited by Demonica

Paper, bandages or rags must be combined with sticks if you want to create a fireplace kit...in previous builds you could light it up only if you added a firewood log. With this build it seems you can light the fireplace kit without adding stuff, so you still need sticks AND paper (or bandages or rags).

That's another thing - has someone figured out yet when the "not safe" message pops up when you try to light a fire indoors? Is it in every house?

I tried in one story and two story houses: it pops up. Tested in small wooden sheds, it does not pop up. Don't know about hangars, garages, barns and such.

Edited by DocWolf

My personnal experience so far on the new exp :

Sadly, at ALL times when i try to play the game and see what's new since the updates, can't manage at ALL to play for longer than 5 minutes without disconnecting
having a stable 2+ mb/s internet connection, verified game cache, uninstalled/reinstalled and still no luck so far ! 

From what i seen so far, i think that the coldness is a bit of issue on a personnal view, especially during the day when the sun shines... The game seems to be set-up in september / october, where you shouldn't get cold that fast during the day, i fully understand though that it gets cold quicker during rain periods and during night... Having black clothes should also help you stay warm during the day if under the sun, everyone knows that wearing a black T-Shirt, Hoodie or coat will attract more sun rays resulting in a warmer state than if i was wearing a white t-shirt as example

As for starting state, i would personally like more to carry a jacknife and a box of matches rather than just a flashlight and a battery... Of course, a pocket knife would take 3 less hits compared to fists to take down a zed, and would be much more useful to get the players to not starve THAT fast, It is personnal opinions, the rest of the community might not like some of em !

It is sad though that i can never play long enough to be able to test out weapons, zeds, hunting and farming... But in the meantime, i'll give a shot at the Epoch Arma 3 mod until the game permits me to play more than 5 minutes hehe !!! 

So far, game as reached another level, of course development is slow, but Rome wasn't built in one day !!! So i'll try to be patient !!

Last thing i wanted to report, people seems to think most zombies don't go through walls anymore, when i was playing recently, managed to get in a police station to see a zombie get in from underneath the floor, still some work to be made there !!

But overall the game seems to be heading in the right direction, im' personally sad that they didn't implement at least the bicycle yet ! 

Paper, bandages or rags must be combined with sticks if you want to create a fireplace kit...in previous builds you could light it up only if you added a firewood log. With this build it seems you can light the fireplace kit without adding stuff, so you still need sticks AND paper (or bandages or rags).

Additional wooden stick(s) need to be added to the fireplace kit once it's crafted to serve as "firewood", but acquiring sticks is pretty easy now that you can "search" for kindling :) I don't think I've read anywhere what the limit is with those, in other words how many can be stacked at once... or whether or not you can still add stones or pebbles to it as well. I'm also not sure what the impact is when using sticks versus logs in terms of cooking food, keeping warm, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/VhW1EbK.jpg

Edited by Tatanko

Additional wooden stick(s) need to be added to the fireplace kit once it's crafted to serve as "firewood", but acquiring sticks is pretty easy now that you can "search" for kindling :) I don't think I've read anywhere what the limit is with those, in other words how many can be stacked at once... or whether or not you can still add stones or pebbles to it as well. I'm also not sure what the impact is when using sticks versus logs in terms of cooking food, keeping warm, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/VhW1EbK.jpg

Yes thats a very nice improvment for the gameplay :)

I noticed that chicken fathers cant combient to a stack of 10 - 20. Same with the craftalbe arrows I think.

And you can only find one father per search, thats too little imo.

Also, I cafted the "small fish trap" but I cant place it. I tried it at the pond in Turovo and at the coast along Svetlojarsk - no option for placing the trap :(

Someone was asking about the "rabbit snare". I placed it near the rails in Svetlo yesterday. Then I looted a bit (~ 10 min), later I catched one. I tried it two times before with no luck. The trap triggered but the rabbit could escape :D

Edited by xCAPx
  • Like 2

made fireplace with 1 stick bandage and additional stick for fuel,logged out went for smoke 10 mins later was still burning and got too hot status.Not tried with paper but imagine is the same.

Edit also caught quite a few bunnys,snare's dont persist through restarts though which is a pain with all the crashes

Edited by GrumpyOldMeeper

made fireplace with 1 stick bandage and additional stick for fuel,logged out went for smoke 10 mins later was still burning and got too hot status.Not tried with paper but imagine is the same.

Excellent, thanks for the info. I'll try testing it out for a bit longer tonight and see what happens!

I just discovered something else. I think it was on either SWE 01 or SWE 02 servers - right when you get the short server info on which server you're playing, it said "Weekend Special" - does anyone know what that's supposed to mean by chance?

Excellent, thanks for the info. I'll try testing it out for a bit longer tonight and see what happens!

also now tested with paper,logged out,logged in 25 mins later stil going,warmed me up etc

Food was scarce until I looked in the tall apartment buildings around Cherno. Lots of fruit, vegs, and cereal. Even found a tent.

Testing to see if the tent stays persistent now...

I just discovered something else. I think it was on either SWE 01 or SWE 02 servers - right when you get the short server info on which server you're playing, it said "Weekend Special" - does anyone know what that's supposed to mean by chance?

Well, if I recall correctly (haven't played since Wednesday), SWE 0-2 was the 75-slot server. Is that still the case? I believe it was the only one like that, perhaps that has something to do with it. Hardly a "weekend special" if it's all the time, though :p That's the server I spent most of my time on during Wednesday's outing and it was surprisingly low-population most of the time (less than 20 people).

also now tested with paper,logged out,logged in 25 mins later stil going,warmed me up etc

Is this using paper as opposed to a bandage the last time? Is that what you mean? Either way, that's awesome that it lasts that long. I'm sure that will be changed though, otherwise firewood is officially useless.

Food was scarce until I looked in the tall apartment buildings around Cherno. Lots of fruit, vegs, and cereal. Even found a tent.

I have a theory that hardly anybody loots apartment buildings... like, ever. I don't know if it puts people off because of the drop in framerate, or they think there isn't any loot, or what.

• Like 1

I have a theory that hardly anybody loots apartment buildings... like, ever. I don't know if it puts people off because of the drop in framerate, or they think there isn't any loot, or what.

I don't go there because they simply creep me the fuck out. :P I mean, yeah, no, it's FPS, man, that's it, yeah, it just runs super slow and that's why I never, ever loot apartments...  :blush:

And keep the snipers in mind...

Edited by Demonica
  • Like 1

Well, if I recall correctly (haven't played since Wednesday), SWE 0-2 was the 75-slot server. Is that still the case? I believe it was the only one like that, perhaps that has something to do with it. Hardly a "weekend special" if it's all the time, though :P That's the server I spent most of my time on during Wednesday's outing and it was surprisingly low-population most of the time (less than 20 people).

Is this using paper as opposed to a bandage the last time? Is that what you mean? Either way, that's awesome that it lasts that long. I'm sure that will be changed though, otherwise firewood is officially useless.

1 stick 1 paper for fireplace  and 1 stick for fuel, and I agree it should ust last long enough too say get you warm,not cook anything(not tried yet) anything over a few mins shoulld need firewood or lots more sticks

• Like 2

1 stick 1 paper for fireplace  and 1 stick for fuel, and I agree it should ust last long enough too say get you warm,not cook anything(not tried yet) anything over a few mins shoulld need firewood or lots more sticks

Gotcha. 2 sticks + 1 paper = campfire. That's awesome, even if it does eventually become a shorter duration of time. Paper is extremely easy to obtain (books are EVERYWHERE) and kindling is pretty easy to find now, too. This also means that if you want to carry the resources necessary to start a fire, in theory you would only need to carry a book with you -- which only takes one slot. You could carry the kindling too, but it doesn't seem necessary.

No more excuses about, "I can't stay warm!" ;)

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 2

Yeah, the most important item in the game right now is matches. Once you have them there's really no reason you should die from the elements or hunger. I imagine eventually fuel will burn up but for now an axe is completely optional (which I like). I've thought it might be cool if you could ignite a fire with cattle prod or stun baton too.

Edited by Ebrim