SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

The AKM was my go-to for a while, but lately I've stuck with the SKS for that exact reason. I am having a little bit of trouble finding 7.62x39 ammo in 0.50 though. I seem to find 7.62x54 (Mosin/Longhorn) a lot more readily.

no doubt you have trouble finding 7,62*39 ammo as my current character carry more than 200 of those :P . try all millitary location, 7,62*39 are (were ^^) easy to find in military tents, cars, prisons, barracks etc... but difficult to find in civil locations.

good hunt !

• Like 1

Have you tried getting them out of a tomato?

Just guessing here, but I would imagine that to be the intended way to get them.

Same with apples.

Hmm, I've tried eating tomatoes(checked the right click context menu there was only "eat" and "inspect" , maybe it's resident evil style and I have to inspect first to find the secret of the tomato?) but I then ate a couple tomatoes to see if my guy would get some seeds in his teeth , but a no go :( we will probably figure it out soon or receive another patch to put the seeds in maybe ? Can't wait to start a garden but I really hope we can grow jalapeños eventually ... Don't ask why :) .

You can craft a small fishing trap from a plastic water bottle using a knife/machete. It cuts the bottle and half and inverts the top half inside the lower half to create a trap for fish to get stuck in -- in this case Sardines. You need to add worms to the trap for it to be successful, but there are very few items required to get it going and you could seemingly deploy a bunch of them at once to get a fishing operation going. It does require saltwater though, so it will only work on the coast. No idea what kind of nutritional value Sardines have at the moment either, or what happens when you fillet one. Perhaps tiny little fillets?

If you supply my town of Belaya Polana with meat and fish, we will supply Berezhki with fruit, vegetables, cooking supplies, and firewood :P

Genius, trade makes my black economist heart happy.

... losing rabbit snares to resetting servers makes me sad however.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 1

Do rabbit snares disapear on server crashes or restarts?  Are they not persistent?

Dam, I was planning on setting one when I logged out then checking it when I logged back in again.

Edited by Beav

Anyone know how long it takes to snare a rabbit or trap some fish?

I set my rabbit snare before looting a town and checked it after about 15 mins and it was still empty.

Hmm, I've tried eating tomatoes(checked the right click context menu there was only "eat" and "inspect" , maybe it's resident evil style and I have to inspect first to find the secret of the tomato?) but I then ate a couple tomatoes to see if my guy would get some seeds in his teeth , but a no go :( we will probably figure it out soon or receive another patch to put the seeds in maybe ? Can't wait to start a garden but I really hope we can grow jalapeños eventually ... Don't ask why :) .

Tomato seeds are definitely an item, I'm just unsure as to whether or not they are implemented yet.

http://www.dayztv.com/pic/dayz-0-50-leaked-tomato-seeds-model/

http://www.dayztv.com/pic/dayz-0-50-growth-steps-tomato-plant-showcase-horticulture/

I set my rabbit snare before looting a town and checked it after about 15 mins and it was still empty.

That seems to be around the necessary amount of time to wait. My guess is that the game didn't like where you put it. Where did you place the snare?

Not sure yet, I haven't had much success with rabbits. The couple times I've set them up they seem to have been removed at server reset. I actually just caught my first sardines, it only took a couple minutes. I haven't cooked them yet but excited to do so.

One thing I've noticed is that cold immunity still seems to exist. My guy's body temperature right now is 36 degrees and I'm not hypothermic, I'm not even cold.

I'm honestly starting to believe actual rabbits were added to the world and they are attracted to these traps but only if they see it , some people have luck right away , mine never worked after 30 mins same with other people I've talked to . So my guess is there's an acual population of rabbits out there and your trap only succeeds when one of those real rabbits walk by it ..

So in easier words I don't think it's a time based thing but a real rabbit based thing like in real life (I could be just talking retarded though as this should be the obvious and most realistic way).

EBRIM EDIT: I believe it's in "Celsius" so 36• Celsius would be right around 96• fareinheight so your guys right around natural internal body temperature

Edited by Grapefruit kush

EBRIM EDIT: I believe it's in "Celsius" so 36• Celsius would be right around 96• fareinheight so your guys right around natural internal body temperature

I'm quite sure Ebrim knows that since 36°F are 2°C which isn't a healthy body temperature in any possible way :)

Every time a bunny gets killed by a snare I get sad, and I have to cry a little :(  Do you guys think at some point players could step into one of those traps and get hung up in it for a few minutes? Or Zeds maybe? It would be soooo hilarious watching some random dude literally "shake a leg" to try and keep moving :D

I'm quite sure Ebrim knows that since 36°F are 2°C which isn't a healthy body temperature in any possible way :)

no he's saying his body temperature is 36• , he never mentioned whether it was in Fahrenheit or Celsius (I'm assuming he just read what the thermometer says which it doesn't mention either C or F but I. Now know it's in Celsius) the game measures in Celsius , meaning that if he used the thermometer and it said your body temperature is 36• , it would be in Celsius ... Meaning 36• Celsius ... Which comes out to 96 fareinheight ... But if he's already converted to fareinheight and it's 36 then yes that is bad .

not sure about rabbit snare ability to catch players or zombies (sorry, infected peoples ;) ), but traps designed to catch/kill players rambo style will sure make teir way into the game.

Normal body temperature is closer to 37C rather than 36C so I'd think that at least I'll be cold. Once I hit 35C then I should really be in trouble. I'll monitor it again when I get home and see what happens. Sardine fishing in the rain is a very convenient way to get cold. :D

Edited by Ebrim

I dont know if anyone has brought this up yet here.. 

But Senchi said the military base in experimental is a mistake.. not the one we are waiting for I guess.. or its not finished or something.

He put up a twitter post that said it was not supposed to be there, and that there must have been a mistake while he is out of the office on vacation/travel. 

FYI. 

Edited by lrish

Managed a couple of hours on exp today, generally very good, had first spawn die of cold as he was wet and no way to get fire wood, next has done well, tough on food to start but heading inland soon solved that.

Server's crashed 3 times in the 2 hours i was on, luckily nothing too bad happened.

I do notice that there are now even more books than there have been, i checked three houses together, nothing but book, one had 14, one 12 and one 9, no other loot just a ton of books.

I dont know if anyone has brought this up yet here.. 

But Senchi said the military base in experimental is a mistake.. not the one we are waiting for I guess.. or its not finished or something.

He put up a twitter post that said it was not supposed to be there, and that there must have been a mistake while he is out of the office on vacation/travel. 

FYI. 

page 59

Duct tape amount used for items, all were badly damaged and went to damaged and could only be REINFORCED (different from mending) 1 time:

Welding mask = 20%

Compass = 4%

Epi Pen = 8%

Bandages = 6%

Worked my way to Severogard through a network of small towns. Killing many zeds with sledge hammer and not finding a gun I can use with the ammo I had for quite some time.

I have been able to stick to the same server with this first person character.

Plenty of food, ammo, weapons/guns, and clothes really.

I would like to point out that the lack of magazines in places where the firearms spawn does not seem "authentic".

Looting guns in civilian locales only to have to go to military locales to find a magazine doesn't seem to make much sense.

Gun in one corner, 3 types of ammo on the table in another corner, 0 magazines/clips.  :/

Personally I have only found badly damaged sledge hammers and 0 axes.

Carried a chambered sporter and an empty CR75 for awhile.

Then found a repeater but only 7 .357 rounds a little later.

Killed 4 zeds with it and then found the pump action shotgun.

Ditched the repeater as I was carrying a lot of shells. Killed a few zeds with the shotgun.

Then I find 2 Mosins stacked in the upstairs of a corner restaurant and I'm carrying nearly 100 rounds for it.....

I logged out with a Mosin in hand.... decisions, decisions.

Edited by BioHaze

Loot respawning is still bugged, right? Went up the city hall in novo, found a total of 12 carbines, four crossbows and about 5-6 sporters. Crazy.

Normal body temperature is closer to 37C rather than 36C so I'd think that at least I'll be cold. Once I hit 35C then I should really be in trouble. I'll monitor it again when I get home and see what happens. Sardine fishing in the rain is a very convenient way to get cold. :D

it depend on were you take your temperature :P . having 36° while randomly poking your arm with thermometer seem to be quite hot in fact :D . if you take your temperature under your arm or in your mouth, you should get something like 36°C, if you put it well... in another place, you should be around 37°C. so if you go for the mouth, be sure to have a pristine one :rolleyes:

I can confirm the sledge hammer is a beast. Some douche bag thought he could punch me out and take my gear. I warned him and went on my way. He gave pursuit and warned him again but he was persistent. I turned around and one shot him in the face...pretty hilarious.

• Like 5

it depend on were you take your temperature :P . having 36° while randomly poking your arm with thermometer seem to be quite hot in fact :D . if you take your temperature under your arm or in your mouth, you should get something like 36°C, if you put it well... in another place, you should be around 37°C. so if you go for the mouth, be sure to have a pristine one :rolleyes:

So previously I found that a couple patches ago sitting by a fire would "reset" your temperature to 36.6. So I assume that's the baseline for our characters in the game. I seem to remember now that cold status hit somewhere around 35.8, I'll check if that's still the case. Of course you're right that where you measure will be different but the game doesn't consider that, you have one value that matters for "core" body temperature.

EDIT: Okay I take it back, at 35.8 I hit cold again, things are working normally. I think I just expected to get cold faster forgetting that I had been near a fire not too long in the past.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 1

Does anyone ever get hungry again after Energized/Healthy?

I am running everywhere and only really need to drink to stay healthy.

I have seen guns stacked on top of each other a couple times now. Not sure if intended.

By the way, in this build.... it seems "ok" to just run around in a ruined raincoat.

It still keeps you dry and if you have decent other clothing on you should be warm enough.

Edit: Finally a sledge that was worn not badly damaged and finally found an axe.

Funny thing last night; I broke an arm fighting zeds and had some morphine but waited until I was outside of the town in a barn where I was going to shoot up.

Accidentally fell inside barn breaking leg (haven't done this in a long time), remembered I had some morphine, shot up and I was right as rain.

So glad I waited. :)

Also ran into a lot of random friendlies at one point; though you might want to buy me dinner before you take my pulse next time, guy.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

I can confirm the sledge hammer is a beast. Some douche bag thought he could punch me out and take my gear. I warned him and went on my way. He gave pursuit and warned him again but he was persistent. I turned around and one shot him in the face...pretty hilarious.

Finally a answer on my question! Now its time to wreck some skulls

Finally a answer on my question! Now its time to wreck some skulls

BadAsh was the first to post a pic and the results of sledge vs zed very shortly after the update.

He said something like, 2 hits to kill, 1 if headshot.

Follow ze thread!

Being able to source feathers from chicken coops today was apparently the marginal change I needed to push me into getting a bow and arrows. An hour or so after spawning (I drowned myself to get a feel for scarcity) I found an extra rope and a bow felt the right direction to go in as I knew I could start making arrows.

• Like 2