SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Yeah I'm not liking this whole shoe-ruining thing. Are they even repairable (I haven't tried yet)? I don't mind incorporating footwear into my status-checking routine, but they better be repairable if they can degrade.

Also, lookie what I found:

1CgQlrg.jpg

Haven't tried using it yet.

They are but it REALLY fucking sucks. You can only repair them with duct tape and you CANNOT get worn to get the color back in the shoes. This kind of fucks up the aesthetic value of your gear allot. I know its not much but when i want a full set of matching gear i AT LEAST want to retain a little bit of the color. Maybe those shoe/boot repair kits are not a bad idea to put in at this point in time?

• Like 1

They are but it REALLY fucking sucks. You can only repair them with duct tape and you CANNOT get worn to get the color back in the shoes. This kind of fucks up the aesthetic value of your gear allot. I know its not much but when i want a full set of matching gear i AT LEAST want to retain a little bit of the color. Maybe those shoe/boot repair kits are not a bad idea to put in at this point in time?

You never mentioned your Deathlove of shoes before !

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213132-why-do-guys-in-highschool-care-about-shoes-so-much/#entry2139049

Combat knives, really...

Yeah I'm not liking this whole shoe-ruining thing. Are they even repairable (I haven't tried yet)? I don't mind incorporating footwear into my status-checking routine, but they better be repairable if they can degrade.

Also, lookie what I found:

1CgQlrg.jpg

Haven't tried using it yet.

You can mend them using duck-tape.

But still, personally this feature is the most immersion-breaking for me. I'm thirty years old, and my feet haven't grown for the past 10 years, so I didn't need to buy me  some new shoes or boots because my feet were growing, so unless I needed a specific type of footwear for a certain activity, I didn't need to get me new footwear because they got ruined...

I mean, I've used the same wellies for the past 10 years, and they're still in almost perfect condition even though I used them in rough terrain, in various weather from freezing cold to crazy hot weather. Unless you walk in fire with wellies (we call them rubbers over where I'm from) they can last a lifetime.

Of course this is just the first iteration of this mechanic, it's just experimental, it's still in alpha, but I'd love to never hear about this feature again, cause like I said, for me, it's immersion breaking, and make no sense at all. Getting our footwear damaged from falls, I don't mind at all and think it fits, but just by running, jogging, or even walking, make not much sense to me at all...

• Like 2

Server DC was scheduled reset.

Lost raincoat, backpack, lockpick, rags, and spawned back in bleeding but I still feel silly losing my first spawn to dehydration, I couldn't believe I didn't come across some standing water on the path I cut through the woods. I had decent stuff to start with too, oh well... :/

But hey.... stealth is back!!

Like for real this time!

I was able to crouch walk around a standing but seemingly alert zed that was nearly facing me without aggroing him.

Freaking sweet.

I'm seeing as many as 5 zeds in very small towns, which is great.

Led 2 towards an "upstairs only" green house and one seemed to get trapped in the foundation of the house.

I sense a few character animation tweaks under the hood of this update maybe?

Edit:

*snip*

But still, personally this feature is the most immersion-breaking for me. ....

*snip*

Yeah, the damage factors are extreme to say the least.

I can imagine simple cheap "tennis style" athletic shoes becoming nearly destroyed from running in wet, muddy, sticks and stones type of woods, but only after at least a few days worth of that treatment and constant use.

Most boot and rugged types of shoes, even something like a good pair of wellies, can withstand a fair amount of hardcore parkour.

Has anyone been bold enough to run on an open road for an extended period to see if shoes don't degrade as quickly?

Edited by BioHaze

Played for about an hour. Very stable, but sprinting, jogging or even walking seem to damage footwear. I really hope this won't make it into the final version... (Personal opinion) I've had some boots and shoes for almost 10 years now, and they're still in pretty good shape. I don't think getting our footwear damaged just by walking around add anything at all in DayZ... (Again, IMHO)

The only thing that really bothers me since December 18th 2013... (except hackers/cheaters of course...)

Its time for duct tape mofos! You get some duct tape, you get some duct tape, and you get some duct tape everyone gets shoes made of duct tape!!! I hope they add a shoe shine kit so you can make them back to worn or something like that would be cool.

Edited by KaserinSmarte67
  • Like 1

You never mentioned your Deathlove of shoes before !

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213132-why-do-guys-in-highschool-care-about-shoes-so-much/#entry2139049

Combat knives, really...

There not bad shoes but i normally prefer working boot types with the half steel toe. Nike is rather overpriced anyways.

Hey Demon brought up the topic of knifes i thought he might appreciate a nice knife lol. My apologies sometimes i get overly excited about other things in topics to. *Shrugs*

Edited by Deathlove

Degrading shoes was one of the features mentioned well before the game was even released. You have to remember that experimental is where they will be testing these features on a large scale, so, it is likely that the rate is set to see how well the mechanic works - much like the spamming rain, cold/hot messages and the ease with which you got sick as a result when that feature first came out in experimental. Now, be good guinea pigs and wear down those shoes! ;)

• Like 6

Leather shoes degrade the fastest during my time of shoe testing; from pristine to damaged in about 50 steps lol

Edited by Mjones

Having troubles wringing out my clothes when raining. Option doesnt appear in inventory

Its time for duct tape mofos you get some duct tape you get some duct tape everyone gets shoes made of duct tape!!! I hope they add a shot shine kit so you can make them back to worn or something like that would be cool.

Watch as entire servers horde duct tape. XD

• Like 4

When i saw first posts about CTD my first thought was:"shiiiiiiit not again".

Cause during last exp my game was crashing like hell every few minutes sometimes even seconds. But suprisely this time after more than 1 hour of playing game was working perfectly fine...Just another mystery of dayz.

BTW

anybody know location of a greenhouse near Cherno ?

I've noticed that a lot of new features tend to get added in their most extreme form, which seems like a bit of a miscalculation from a development standpoint. New features tend to be buggy regardless, and constraining their impact in the initial stages would help reduce player frustration. I'm sure the constant level of harsh criticism is very stressful on the development team, and it just seems like they could save themselves a lot of trouble by, say, making shoes degrade at 1/10th the speed they do currently.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but if the footwear decay is as rapid as people feel it is, I'd imagine it could be useful for data gathering. Has anyone noticed any serious effects from your feet hurting?

• Like 1

flimsypremise

Player frustration is of no importance in experimental releases.

I have had 2 CTD now during inventory manipulation.

#2: Opening tuna shown open and unopen can in inventory, eat all tuna in jacket/open can, unopened can is still displayed in my inventory but cannot be accessed for options (eat, eat all, etc), or moved to a different spot with LMB, only shows message "receiving" when right clicked.

CTD.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

I've noticed that a lot of new features tend to get added in their most extreme form, which seems like a bit of a miscalculation from a development standpoint. New features tend to be buggy regardless, and constraining their impact in the initial stages would help reduce player frustration. I'm sure the constant level of harsh criticism is very stressful on the development team, and it just seems like they could save themselves a lot of trouble by, say, making shoes degrade at 1/10th the speed they do currently.

Player frustration is par for the course with the experimental branch - the devs know this; they've said as much countless times in response to complaints. If the object is to gather data on a feature... well, 1/10th the speed slows down that data gathering. It will likely be balanced later. Players will just have to walk off their frustration - no matter how many pairs of shoes it takes. ;)

• Like 5

I haven't played the current version yet, but I bet at least *some* features that are added in their extreme form are there for testing purposes. I.E. many versions back there were constant reminders whether you're being rained on or not (initially with an even more annoying beeping noise), new items added to the loot table spawn EVERYWHERE, etc. A "realistic" implementation of shoe wear may not show symptoms of working correctly for some time.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed any serious effects from your feet hurting?

Not really. I've ruined a few pair of boots and shoes, and even with the messages of "My feet are sore" or "My feet hurts" I never got broken legs, or got any damage health from them. It just makes you colder as you lose a lot of heat from the feet.

Edit: Thanks Mjones, I stand corrected.

Edited by Odin Lowe

Not really. I've ruined a few pair of boots and shoes, and even with the messages of "My feet are sore" or "My feet hurts" I never got broken legs, or got any damage health from them. It just makes you colder as you lose a lot of heat from the feet.

My character actually started losing health from ruined shoes. Went from healthy status to constantly healing while i had no shoes on

Edited by Mjones
  • Like 4

Don't be so sure. It could be the start of something they have for getting sprained toes and foots allowing normal walking and running to be none existent unless you enjoy hobbling around. Even the possibilities of cut feet might happen soon to. So do not be surprised if your character dies from this in a few updates by not maintaining your footwear.

• Like 1

A few things...

1. And I know this one has already been talked about: Footwear degrades MUCH too quickly.

2. Server crashes are very very very frustrating and make it very difficult to get anything done. Every 15-45 minutes it seems like servers are going down. I check the server list for experimental and I don't see a single one that's past 10:00.. All are 9:00 -> 9:45 (last I checked)

3. Client crashes... Repeatedly.. Someone said something about this being related to shadows and that disabling shadows fixes it. I have tried disabling shadows and still get client crashes.

General bugginess and incomplete features or frustrating survival elements I can handle.. but server crashing is a huge issue that I hope is addressed before pushing to stable. Currently both Stable and Experimental builds have server crashes, which makes it difficult to play a full session.

as some of you already mentionned, shoes degradation is totally crazy now, i've ruined at least 8 diffrent footwear (2 were pristine !!!).  it's not really fun... but exp is exp, i'm sure next update, shoes will degrade significantly slower.

one very interesting thing : my girlfriend played with me and was SICK after some zombies hits. i don't know if it's the zombies hits or the cold status, but it's new since she didn't eat anything uncooked or rotten.

ps1 : i made a fire place with food, rags, a CR75 and a short letter in polana. does somebody found it ?

ps2 : peoples are mad in elektro, 2 freshies tried to axe me there (that not a smart idea when your opponent has a loaded MP 133)

After 5 hours, I think I've had my fill for the day. It was quite enjoyable as well. Didn't die even once, met a few people along the way (and even saved a few), and covered quite a lot of ground. No trouble finding loot on any of the servers I played on, even in places like Novo, Chernaya Polana, Elektro, etc.

Aside from the difficulty of having to constantly replace my shoes and the occasional CTD, I'm finding that I cannot find any duct tape or ammo related to rifles (7.62 variants, .357, etc.). I did find 5.56, but can't for the life of me find any guns to use it in. Carrying a Mosin, but can't find any ammo for it. I did not have any trouble finding ammo in the previous build of 0.50.

• Like 2