SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Dont know if this has been brought up yet, but

Persistence works great, put a backpack in a house (Had the doors locked when I left but I think doors unlock on server reboot)

Pack was still there 6 hours later with all the stuff in it, however I also dropped a mosin on the ground, and it somehow duped itself and the ammo that was loaded into it.

So persistence is duping guns ATM

Vanishing weapons.

I will put a gun down, and it disappears into nothingness before it hits the ground. No, they didn't warp to another spot. No desync. Not double-carrying. Just today, i lost a sawed off, a repeater, and a mosin.

Good times.

Other than that, this exp is pretty sweet.

.. Other than zeds going through doors again.

I'm still getting the same problem...I spawn into a rainy server and die because I can't find any matches to light a fire.

• Like 1

Experimental update .50 1 and 2 sucked but 3 is awesome. The new items are really cool especially the weapons. The 357. Rounds are finally balanced with another gun as well as buck shot( I just wish slugs can come back). Certain areas don't have as much loot(cities to be certain) yet some far away sheds have jammed loot inside. But my absolute favorite part about this update is that loot now spawns in most cars again(figured this out when a broken jeep had the hardest ammunition to find in a box or not in one.... 9mm). BTW I'm surprised a of you guys have problems. Haven't encountered much except guns super rare and a random crash. Another thing I've noticed odd is that sometimes I find piles of cz carbines on top of fire stations( not just one about 20)

Edited by DaNic2553

Is it just me or persistence has an impact on loot spawning?

I've spent some time yesterday looting military bases. There was a whole bunch of items that usually don't spawn at military spots and almost zero military gear (I saw 2 talon backpacks and a bunch of smersh junk). It looks like people run to military bases, when they find some fancy gear they drop their crap that stays there and prevents other items from spawning.

I've also realized that sprinting is just fine if you're energized and hydrated. I have to drink a bit more often but that's about it. Spawn point are still mostly death traps with no loot but after checking some other locations I was loaded with gear. Even animals seem to be affected by that: close to spawns - not a single deer or cow, around Pustoshka - cows, deers, boars, I could feed the entire server.

My character just disappeared from the servers. Probably they didn't save it properly and so I respawned on the beach.

First (re)spawn: Chernogorsk, near Mutnaya Bay

Immediately after spawning, two infected insta-aggroed me. I managed to lock them into one of the houses...I was surprised, because during others playing sessions they simply walked through doors or even walls. Probably there are issues only on certain buildings. I foraged everywhere in the southwestern part of the town, found nothing except chemlights, hammers and pliers. I walked the whole time, taking care to sneak behind infecteds without aggroing them...seems to work, if you walk crouched and manage to put something between you and them. After a while I was pretty nervous: hunger and thirst meter were flashing, cold status was orange - nothing useful or edible in the part of the city I was in, except a badly damaged tracksuit. Tried a loot run towards Chapaevsk, but passed out and died of starvation.

Second (re)spawn: beach near Three Valley

Seems to be one of the favourite spawn points for my account - recently six times on ten I spawn near Three Valley, WTF. I spotted two other players fist-fighting an infected in front of the two beach houses, but I wasn't in the mood for social interaction - the "no loot" experience in Cherno left me quite pessimistic, and I didn't see a group of three noobspawns as a viable survival option. Taking a short detour in the woods I managed to loot the barn near the beach (full of useless industrial loot as usual), the barn uphill with the water pump (almost empty as usual) and the house further uphill (full of books as usual). With the very few things I collected I managed to walk towards Msta where I was able to trap infecteds only in the pub - they were able to escape from every other building. The town was almost devoid of loot, and here another player tried to kill me for no reason at all - a couple of farming hoe taps on the head and down he went. I looted his corpse but managed to die of starvation and hypotermia on my way to Staroye.

Third (re)spawn: again Three Valley, this time near the houses

Dafaq?! Decided to head towards Solnichniy this time, using the beach for cover. Ran into a group of three infecteds (bad luck or first signs of infected mobs?) and the dreaded no connection message. Waited for a while, server booted me out because I lost connection. Relogged in, was mauled to death. Decided to take a pause and watched "Machinegun Preacher". Is this movie seriously based on a true story? According to Wikipedia, yes. Holy crap.

Fourth (re)spawn: Solnichniy

Seriously, DayZ?! I managed to find something useful there, and I was extremely surprised: I mean, it's right in the middle of countless spawn areas. I ran into a player who tried to greet me hitting me with his farming hoe. I evaded him, cut him bad with the trusty axe I found just minutes earlier, and baited him in an endless run in and around the town. When he realized he was going to bleed to death, he combat logged. WTF. Tried to walk towards the factory, but I passed out due to hunger and hypotermia. Recently I'm able to find few canned food, no fruit/berries at all and only "damaged" or "badly damaged" clothes...it's just bad luck or happens to other players?

Fifth (re)spawn: somewhere in the swamps near Chyornaya Bay

First time I spawned there, before I used this area as a simple waystation when headed towards Cherno. Walked around Prigorodki, found very little useful loot...it's only me or in high traffic areas there are A LOT of books, pliers, hammers, chemlights and THOUSANDS of fertilizer sacks and weapon cleaning kits? Sometimes it seems those are the only things in town and cities. I logged out in a secure area, and now I have to decide where I should go: I'm not sure returning to Cherno is a viable option, in the western part of the city I didn't found ANYTHING...so: option one, Pusta following the dirt road; option two, Mogilevka taking a detour in the woods; option three, give Cherno a second chance and start a looting spree there. Suggestions?

Edited by DocWolf
  • Like 1

err good to see you played the game Doc.

Not sure why i read this post... but using the beach for 'cover' made me smile. No wonder you don't do so good at this game.

Edited by MadTommy
  • Like 1

Not sure why i read this post... but using the beach for 'cover' made me smile. No wonder you don't do so good at this game.

The beach in that area is lower than the road, the idea was to use that feature to stay hidden and then cross the road and walk in the woods . The infecteds aggroed me regardless of line of sight, sadly. About me playing the game or not being so good at it...dude, it's a videogame. Even if I'm bad at it, who cares? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Great advice. Beans for you.

Bugged spawn system - the reason why people die.

@DocWolf

One option is praying for a good spawn = food and drinks available nearby.

Searching for apples or berries is pure rng based. Either you'll find something quickly or die from starvation while looking for apples (happened to me).

My advices:

Don't even think about sprinting before you get healthy status and spare food/drinks in your pocket.

If you can get away from spawn points, look for loot in further spots. If you can't make it to the next village just loot and pray. Avoid zeds, ignore industrial spawns and look for buildings with closed doors (can't believe it still works). Sodas have some calories and may save you from starving.

Avoid other players near spawn points, they are hungry aswell and one can of food won't feed you both. Get a jacket or make a fire to get rid of cold status, you won't loose as many calories.

Get a backpack or craft one, then start collecting items needed for hunting (knife/machete), matches, rags/paper, axe helps aswell. 

You might try fishing but hunting is easier, takes less time etc.

Don't open food cans with hammers, axes unless you are starving. Look for a screwdriver, knife or can opener.

A gun will help you a lot when hunting but I believe you can manage without it. Animals seem to have a small delay when you get next to them before they start running, so quick axe chop should do the trick.

Don't give up.

if i understant correctly, loot respawn works like this : each time you loot something, a new loot respawn in a 2km radius (or outside this 2km radius ?). you are more likely to loot usefull stuff such as food, clothes, weapons... so each time someone take something usefull, a new item spawn somewere else. if this new item is usefull, it's fine and it will be found and used by someone else. if it's a weapon cleaning kit or a book that replace the usefull loot, nobody is gonna take it and it will lay there forever.

so useless loot replace usefull/consumed loot slowly and we get to the actual situation in 0.50 exp : 99% of spanner, pliers, books, weapon cleaning kits, chemlights, damaged hats and shoes on high traffic locations.

i know nothing about programing and stuff, but maybe a max number can be set for every type of loot in the game. so with a max number of 250 chemlights for exemple, once the server reach this number of chemlights, chemlights can't spawn anymore. applied to all itemps and with some balance works, it should be viable.

docwolf, you can try Pusta then Mogilevka, Vyshnoye, stary/novy sobor. but with the "respawn outside 2km radius thing", you should not find usefull stuff until Vyshnoye

My character just disappeared from the servers. Probably they didn't save it properly and so I respawned on the beach.

First (re)spawn: Chernogorsk, near Mutnaya Bay

Immediately after spawning, two infected insta-aggroed me. I managed to lock them into one of the houses...I was surprised, because during others playing sessions they simply walked through doors or even walls. Probably there are issues only on certain buildings. I foraged everywhere in the southwestern part of the town, found nothing except chemlights, hammers and pliers. I walked the whole time, taking care to sneak behind infecteds without aggroing them...seems to work, if you walk crouched and manage to put something between you and them. After a while I was pretty nervous: hunger and thirst meter were flashing, cold status was orange - nothing useful or edible in the part of the city I was in, except a badly damaged tracksuit. Tried a loot run towards Chapaevsk, but passed out and died of starvation.

Second (re)spawn: beach near Three Valley

Seems to be one of the favourite spawn points for my account - recently six times on ten I spawn near Three Valley, WTF. I spotted two other players fist-fighting an infected in front of the two beach houses, but I wasn't in the mood for social interaction - the "no loot" experience in Cherno left me quite pessimistic, and I didn't see a group of three noobspawns as a viable survival option. Taking a short detour in the woods I managed to loot the barn near the beach (full of useless industrial loot as usual), the barn uphill with the water pump (almost empty as usual) and the house further uphill (full of books as usual). With the very few things I collected I managed to walk towards Msta where I was able to trap infecteds only in the pub - they were able to escape from every other building. The town was almost devoid of loot, and here another player tried to kill me for no reason at all - a couple of farming hoe taps on the head and down he went. I looted his corpse but managed to die of starvation and hypotermia on my way to Staroye.

Third (re)spawn: again Three Valley, this time near the houses

Dafaq?! Decided to head towards Solnichniy this time, using the beach for cover. Ran into a group of three infecteds (bad luck or first signs of infected mobs?) and the dreaded no connection message. Waited for a while, server booted me out because I lost connection. Relogged in, was mauled to death. Decided to take a pause and watched "Machinegun Preacher". Is this movie seriously based on a true story? According to Wikipedia, yes. Holy crap.

Fourth (re)spawn: Solnichniy

Seriously, DayZ?! I managed to find something useful there, and I was extremely surprised: I mean, it's right in the middle of countless spawn areas. I ran into a player who tried to greet me hitting me with his farming hoe. I evaded him, cut him bad with the trusty axe I found just minutes earlier, and baited him in an endless run in and around the town. When he realized he was going to bleed to death, he combat logged. WTF. Tried to walk towards the factory, but I passed out due to hunger and hypotermia. Recently I'm able to find few canned food, no fruit/berries at all and only "damaged" or "badly damaged" clothes...it's just bad luck or happens to other players?

Fifth (re)spawn: somewhere in the swamps near Chyornaya Bay

First time I spawned there, before I used this area as a simple waystation when headed towards Cherno. Walked around Prigorodki, found very little useful loot...it's only me or in high traffic areas there are A LOT of books, pliers, hammers, chemlights and THOUSANDS of fertilizer sacks and weapon cleaning kits? Sometimes it seems those are the only things in town and cities. I logged out in a secure area, and now I have to decide where I should go: I'm not sure returning to Cherno is a viable option, in the western part of the city I didn't found ANYTHING...so: option one, Pusta following the dirt road; option two, Mogilevka taking a detour in the woods; option three, give Cherno a second chance and start a looting spree there. Suggestions?

I am also really unlucky regarding spawnpoints. In one week of exp. I never spawned into an area that wasn't looted before

The only viable way to survive at the moment for me is eating berries and apples and moving towards north-west at the same time. 

1. Spawn

2. find clothing, atleast a hat and some gloves,

3. Eat atleast 3 apples or 5 berries

4. Move in north-west direction for about 10 minutes and loot the hell out of every house. (priorities: MATCHES, clothing)

5. Repeat step three and four.

Melee weapons are nice, but fists do their job on zombies as well, so i don't waste time looking for one at the beginning.

Like you said, unfortunately, picking fruits/berries depends on luck. One time I found 3 good apples in a row, then 30-40 times nothing. :/

My current character ( that will most likely die to the next update this week, because i don't have time to play right now ) made it only because i got a Svetlojarsk spawn and immediately went up north to Berezhki and towards Turovo and Dobroe. I'm full green, have a M-133 with 12 shots, a sledgehammer, gorka jacket and some useful items. The next stop would be Novo, but i think it should be looted empty.

There's no rule, of course...but there should be one. Spawning in a zone with one or more infecteds when you're unarmed is an hazard: one that, added to food scarcity, high energy consumption, low stomach capacity, low spawnrate of warm clothes, inclement weather, low storage capacity, access to only two bandages...well, you get the point.

Not that the current 0.50 iteration is unplayable,  far from it - and many spawn zones don't have any infected at all. But positioning infecteds at the outskirts of the character spawn areas could be a good idea to decrease the probablity to pick up the short straw in the noobspawn death lottery.

This is of course, entirely your opinion. He is correct, there is no rule - and I'm happy with that. As well, the AI changes mentioned in the status report are outlined for the coming months - they are not in the current experimental branch build.

• Like 9

Uh oh , I'm scared ... I see no experimental servers aside from the "private hive" ones ... What's happening to my beloved .50 exp ? I have all day to play today don't make daddy switch back to stable :0 !

Uh oh , I'm scared ... I see no experimental servers aside from the "private hive" ones ... What's happening to my beloved .50 exp ? I have all day to play today don't make daddy switch back to stable :0 !

Hmmm. Perhaps they were brought down on purpose for maintenance or something? Looks like they should be up again, according to the folks on Reddit. I do see that there was some activity on SteamDB, but very minor/inconsequential:

https://steamdb.info/app/221100/

The beach in that area is lower than the road, the idea was to use that feature to stay hidden and then cross the road and walk in the woods . The infecteds aggroed me regardless of line of sight, sadly. About me playing the game or not being so good at it...dude, it's a videogame. Even if I'm bad at it, who cares? :rolleyes:

He has a point, using terrain elevation to cover your movements is intelligent. There are areas of beach that are distinctly lower than the surrounding terrain - giving you a good amount of embankment cover.

the servers have a huge downtime during restarts and crashes. Maybe you just tried to join while they were restarting?

Uhm, well, poop. Stash is gone on both of my home servers, Backpacks, Guns and all. So restarts despawn our stuff now? Anybody else? My 1st person stash was there for a good six days, now it's all gone. My precious Mosin ammo! My worms! Noooooo! :emptycan: :o

Uhm, well, poop. Stash is gone on both of my home servers, Backpacks, Guns and all. So restarts despawn our stuff now? Anybody else? My 1st person stash was there for a good six days, now it's all gone. My precious Mosin ammo! My worms! Noooooo! :emptycan: :o

was a complete wipe of server''s too get rid of all the chemstix, there's loot everywhere ive been(except damn wire)

• Like 2

Well crap... time to stash up yet again then. Thanks, and by the way I absolutely love your nick LOL

Meep Meep :D

Edited by Demonica
  • Like 1

the servers have a huge downtime during restarts and crashes. Maybe you just tried to join while they were restarting?

Yea I think they were all restarting at once lol cuz I found them all right after... but I'm now loaded with a vest , backpack full of survival supplies including three metal wires (I'm gonna make 2 into rabbit snares and the last I'll combine with my sardine trap , it doesn't seem to change the items appearance but maybe it increases chances of catching one ?)

But I've been searching for a place to call home and I'm now at grishino , it's too close to the airfield to settle down in for my comfort (although I've been trollin the airfields over the past few days and haven't found one person :0! ) so I'm going to make my way north towards severograd my hometown to make my barricades at old Jed's farm , he has rooms for crop and plenty of space to drop my extra backpacks found on random dead of starvation survivors ...

Overall I'm loving this new build i crash twice every 3-5 hours or so but besides that and the servers being in an infinite reboot this build seems flawless to me in terms of fun and bugs :)

was a complete wipe of server''s too get rid of all the chemstix, there's loot everywhere ive been(except damn wire)

Interesting. Any official word on this?

I haven't been able to find any wire either! Not at all since it was added in this build.

Interesting. Any official word on this?

I haven't been able to find any wire either! Not at all since it was added in this build.

well all the servers went down @ same time just after hick's was on forum's reading peep's comment's, and then the persistence was wiped. or could just be a coincidence :P

Edited by GrumpyOldMeeper