SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Atm UK 1 and UK 9 has no loot at all, loot respawn doesn't work there and it seems that is not the only problem. Apparently loot is despawning there (you can't even find junk that no one would pick up). However DE 1 has much loot almost everywhere, but I got again a CDT at this server.

Nevertheless I had fun with playing DayZ today, probably the most fun since months, I didn't expect this tbh. My first run was indeed easy going like always when a server is fresh/resetted, that was not very interesting.

BUT my second run some hours later was great, in part. At the beginning I really had to struggle with hunger/thirst and temperature (it was raining) and it took me a while to get finally rid off the precarious states. There were ups and downs, sometimes I felt a bit safe sometimes I was concerned. I could improve my whole situation only slowly step by step, what gave me the real survival feeling. 

But even on the second run something quits my nice experience suddenly -> RICE! As soon as I found one single rice pack, the struggle was done, the survival feeling was gone. And I got bored again... just because of that damn overpowered rice...

Please developers, please nerf the rice pack at least about 50%. Or make the rice inedible without cooking in a pot with water. The rice makes me yawning! Sounds daft but it's true ;) Or make it at least rare!

Edited by Sharplooter

Played for about a minute to realize that zombies can still break your legs through the floor beneath you. Back to waiting for a good patch.

*snip*

So I read temperature is more forgiving, and stomach etc. has been adjusted, correct?

*snip*

Hicks said we are now playing in September conditions and the last patch was December conditions and I do not believe there was any adjustment to the underlying factors.

I've played through 2 spawns now.

My first I found food, and a backpack pretty quick, and I was fighting zeds with a shovel and hammer, which was working well.

I felt like there have been more zeds in general but they may not be respawning much.

Soon though, he began to starve and I ended up being 3 hit killed by an invisible zombie.

My 2nd spawn would have led me to believe that loot respawn might be working as I went through an area that seemed clearly looted before I got there but still I found a double rifle and the ammo for it in an adjacent building.

I was really doing fairly well but died of starvation even after eating a can of food, 3 pieces of fruit, and 2 potatoes.

I do hope hunger gets scaled back a bit in coming builds.

Well, one ten minute run, no crashes. But, except for chemlights, no loot either. No hammers, no shovels, no tools whatsoever.

Hunger / thirst is still somewhat extreme, the weather (except for soaking still being too fast even if you are in a t shirt) is maybe a bit more forgiving.

I'll test some more tomorrow, thanks BioHaze for the comprehensive layout, it's appreciated :-)

• Like 1

You're welcome.

I would like to add that other than some pants, boots, and hats, I saw little other clothing.

One blue check shirt, and one random t-shirt found, not a single coat.

Playing First person on North Eastern US servers.

I sometimes wonder if it's possible if the more PvP minded players switch to the 1st person only servers for loot purposes and then the loot all ends up on the 1st + 3rd person servers where they die.

:rolleyes:

I don't know but it is insane i am ctd all the time and it got me killed earlier but before this patch i never had any issues with it. I don't understand what is causing it, thinking it may be a particular item or something, do you have sporter ammo on you by any chance

No I don't have sporter ammo on me. But I tried some different things and then I could play a while till the server did restart:

1. I did "Verify integrity Game Cache Files" in steam

2. I dropped my welding mask + farming hoe (ingame^^)

3. I avoided DE exp servers (had the feeling the most crashes happens there for me)

I am not sure yet if something did help, I'll keep testing with the 2. account...

I had the same issue with mad CTD's after todays patch, mostly followed the same steps that Sharplooter did but went one step further, I rebooted.   That has solved the issue for me so far and I just finished a good 5 hour stint with no CTD.

Edited by Barnabus

It's weird. I'm not even seeing much crap loot. from zelen northwards I've seen a couple of pistol flashlights, a couple of gaslight things and a couple of chemlights. Nothing else. Except when I was on uk-01 and went into the "foodhouse" and saw two potatoes and a can of beans, picked them up and the server restarted and when I got back they were gone. Not in my inventory and not in the room so it could be that loot is actually despawning. There was zilch in lapatino and that's normally pretty quiet.

Same here, I just came back in on a 1st person server and all I have found was a lousy weapon flashlight.  I was in Berezino though and you guys are scaring me.

I sometimes wonder if it's possible if the more PvP minded players switch to the 1st person only servers for loot purposes and then the loot all ends up on the 1st + 3rd person servers where they die

There's no character transition between 3rd person servers and 1st person ones: the character you create on first person servers stay only in 1st person servers, and when you join 3rd person ones you spawn as a new character.

I think the way to go with the food and drink issue is to adjust the stuffed numbers. Want us to have to eat and drink more? Fine, but make it so that you are only stuffed IF you eat or drink more than the food or drink requirement.

I forgot the exact numbers but say that food is 2500, if you pass that then you get stuffed and if you go -500 then you get hungry. That will make more sense.

Changing the food and drink drop rate while keeping the same stuffed numbers is just not gonna work. It is not humanly possible to be hungry, thirsty and be stuffed. I know this is a game but it still too unrealistic to do it this way.

It's weird. I'm not even seeing much crap loot. from zelen northwards I've seen a couple of pistol flashlights, a couple of gaslight things and a couple of chemlights. Nothing else. Except when I was on uk-01 and went into the "foodhouse" and saw two potatoes and a can of beans, picked them up and the server restarted and when I got back they were gone. Not in my inventory and not in the room so it could be that loot is actually despawning. There was zilch in lapatino and that's normally pretty quiet.

I believe the problem is again the number of players.

The previous iteration of 0.50 had the same problem: too many players weren't able to leave spawnzones or the nearest towns, creating scorched earth areas where there was basically no loot. I don't think it's a bug - AFAIK the loot respawn system re-create a looted item somewhere in a 2km radius from where it was picked up. So, if too many people raid the same town over and over and over, such town will be basically empty. Working as intended, IMHO.

The current iteration of 0.50 probably is still struggling with the same problem: too many people in the same areas. Yesterday was almost impossible playing on UK or DE 3rd person servers: always full to the brim. There was a character wipe, so every 50 (or more, in SWE servers) characters started as noobspawns in the same areas...that means the loot system registered many people looting certain zones and started re-spawning loot in a 2km bubble...I've been in Cherno, for example, and there was NOTHING in the areas around the spawnzones. In Cherno, mind you, wich is one of the biggest cities on the map...I've found something useful in its northern outskirts, but then a mob of zombies ate my face.

Probably this situation will improve in the next days: the players will not loose their characters as quickly as in the previous iteration of 0.50, and when they will start scattering on Chernarus the loot system will start re-spawning again stuff in and around spawnzones.

Edited by DocWolf

There's no character transition between 3rd person servers and 1st person ones: the character you create on first person servers stay only in 1st person servers, and when you join 3rd person ones you spawn as a new character.

Ok, thanks.

I wasn't sure about that.

I usually stick to 1st person so when I logged in recently I thought I was glitch wiped.

It seems like all of the North East servers have crashed and the server I was playing in South Central was almost looted completely empty.

Honestly, I've never seen entire towns so stripped clean of every bit of loot.

I ran until starving and decided to do a little berry research.

10 minutes of berry picking had me from starving to the border of neutral. 20 minutes of berry picking had me solid at neutral and I ran to another town.

Standing and just picking berries in a t-shirt with a welding mask on and I never had more than green Cold indicator and some messages that I was shaking/cold.

After searching a good sized town rather thoroughly and finding more nothing, my character began to starve again.

Soon I was picking berries again.....

Edited by BioHaze

Ok, thanks.

I wasn't sure about that.

I usually stick to 1st person so when I logged in recently I thought I was glitch wiped.

It seems like all of the North East servers have crashed and the server I was playing in South Central was almost looted completely empty.

Honestly, I've never seen entire towns so stripped clean of every bit of loot.

I ran until starving and decided to do a little berry research.

10 minutes of berry picking had me from starving to the border of neutral. 20 minutes of berry picking had me solid at neutral and I ran to another town.

Standing and just picking berries in a t-shirt with a welding mask on and I never had more than green Cold indicator and some messages that I was shaking/cold.

After searching a good sized town rather thoroughly and finding more nothing, my character began to starve again.

Soon I was picking berries again.....

The problem is, IMHO, the number of players. With character wipe everyone (50 or 70 people depending on the servers) started as a noobspawns, raiding the usual towns and areas over and over and over...that means all the loot respawns somewhere in a 2+ km bubble: considering a lot of spawn areas have sea on one side and nothing on the other three, all loot is probably respawning in the inland towns near to the coast.

Chances are it's the same problem we had with the previous iteration of 0.50: too many people looting the same areas and not scattering on the map means that areas will be effectively scorched earth, while all loot is just some km away. Considering this version of 0.50 is a little more forgiving than the previous one, there will be less cluttering in the spawnzones, and in a couple of days player dispersion will balance loot respawn.

Edited by DocWolf

Loot will come back after a few restarts, at least it was before the patch. That said, a bunch of servers have become stuck or even cloned. That doesn't do too much to help things along.

Experimental at this stage is unplayable.

We had this problem last week when they pushed .50...

I'm not sure what the devs has planned but it's nearly impossible to test their new content without loot. Spent nearly 8 hours on different Exp servers, first few hours was perfect, tons of loot but after a while and a few server restarts... Nothing... Nothing but glow sticks and gas lamps... Tried to survive on berries and apples, but that was more or less impossible after one hour of searching for apples and berries (standing pretty much on one spot without running around in order not to waste energy) 8 apples and 4 berries did not keep him alive for one hour... But maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm the only one having trouble surviving in exp (note: being already geared up with different survival tools such as axe, matches etc does not count in this post, if you want to flame me then plesae try exp on a new fresh character first).

As a test, I would love to see the dev team eat as much as you have to do in this game in order to stay alive. ;)

Hopefully this will be hotfixed soon.

Long time forum reader first time poster...

You guys have checked all the houses, right? Because loot respawns in every type of house now, and in places they didn't usually do before (like upstairs in those yellow houses). And don't forget to check the small sheds and outhouses, they contain good stuff.

I found out in the last iteration of 0.50 that if you only stick to the houses that used to contain loot in the old system, you can go through entire villages thinking they are swept, but if you systematically go into the houses that used to spawn no loot, you will suddenly realise that the village is actually full of loot after all.

• Like 1

You guys have checked all the houses, right? Because loot respawns in every type of house now, and in places they didn't usually do before (like upstairs in those yellow houses). And don't forget to check the small sheds and outhouses, they contain good stuff.

I found out in the last iteration of 0.50 that if you only stick to the houses that used to contain loot in the old system, you can go through entire villages thinking they are swept, but if you systematically go into the houses that used to spawn no loot, you will suddenly realise that the village is actually full of loot after all.

i cant even join a server now, and yes, i have checked everything in few villages, not even a single weapon to protect myself, not even a knife, only glow sticks and lamps...

• Like 2

Yesterday I checked all houses in the southwestern part of Cherno and yes, there was nothing. Same with the three valley spawn and the western part of Elektro. Barns and tool sheds sometimes have interesting loot (ropes and burlap sacks, shovels or machetes, matches) but there's less stuff compared to the previous 0.50 iteration.

I stand firm in my idea: after character reset everyone spawned with a new character, overcrowding spawn areas and messing up loot respawn. When players will disperse inland loot will return in starting areas, too. If too many people raid the same place the loot system will spawn items in another place: AFAIK it respawns an item somewhere in a 2+ km radius anyway - it's logical that there is no loot in starting areas, everyone and their dog raid those areas in quick succession, and the system respawn the items in another areas.

Edited by DocWolf

Yesterday I checked all houses in the southwestern part of Cherno and yes, there was nothing. Same with the three valley spawn and the western part of Elektro. Barns and tool sheds sometimes have interesting loot (ropes and burlap sacks, shovels or machetes, matches) but there's less stuff compared to the previous 0.50 iteration.

I stand firm in my idea: after character reset everyone spawned with a new character, overcrowding spawn areas and messing up loot respawn. When players will disperse inland loot will return in starting areas, too. If too many people raid the same place the loot system will spawn items in another place: AFAIK it respawns an item somewhere in a 2+ km radius anyway - it's logical that there is no loot in starting areas, everyone and their dog raid those areas in quick succession, and the system respawn the items in another areas.

i doubt everyone would even close ALL doors he opened...

Yup, something is broken again. Last night every house and car wreck had loot and lots of it, this morning...nothing. Tried to also check the smaller villages that are way of the usual loot runs and checked also those small sheds, and nothing. Well ok,,did find 3 glow sticks and 1 gas lamp.

So that loot party was only for ppl who got into server just after they got bk online after maintenance. 

Hope they find a middle way for this loot thing.

• Like 1

The sounds shoot for the Rossi and MP 133 are Amazing! Their shoot sounds are great and i've never heard them before! Really well done to the sound staff that is incredibly working hard!

Edited by GunnyITA
  • Like 3

Well played another 2+ hours after the latest patch and in that time I have not seen a single can of food or soda. In fact all I found was a down jacket, a wool cap and a child's briefcase. Stayed alive eating berries and apples but in the end starved. The way it is now your best chance of survival is to not spend any time at all on buildings and only search for berries and apples.

The sounds shoot for the Rossi and MP 133 are Amazing! Their shoot sounds are great and i've never heard them before! Really well done to the sound staff that is incredibly working hard!

The DEVs said, that the sound-team was busy doing the door-sound(s) first.

So maybe in 1-2 patches we'll get "better" sounds.

• Like 1

Anyone having isssue with using "f" or middle mouse to open doors.   cant climb ladders or open doors

The DEVs said, that the sound-team was busy doing the door-sound(s) first.

So maybe in 1-2 patches we'll get "better" sounds.

it's that "maibe" scares me..

Edited by GunnyITA