Sign in to follow this  
Sistinas1973

Are these weather effects a bit too much?

Yea, I'm glad they are adding weather effects to survival but it seems like as soon as you get cold.....your doomed to die. 

90% of the time it's raining so that doesn't help. Since they added this feature, all my deaths have been due to hypothermia. I've clothed up and even worn rain coats and down jackets. Also trying to just get indoors before "hypothermia" sets in and waiting it out. But that doesn't have any effect. I know making a fire will combat the effects but most of the time I don't or can't find the materials to make a fire IN TIME. I'm finding it hard to see the point in continuing once "cold" "wet" "I'm freezing" set in. It just becomes futile to continue at that point. 

I haven't seen rain in over a week, I was beginning to think weather effects were bugged since all I get is sunshine these days..

And really, with just a minimal amount of foresight, making a fire isn't difficult. All you need is an axe, some rags/bandages/paper and matches. The first two are items you need always, and should be a priority for a fresh spawn. Matches are abundant in civilian loot spots. So when I get too cold, I just run into the nearest woods, chop down a tree and make myself a toasty fire. 

I've had little issues with being cold. Only have gotten "Cold" so far when I didn't have proper rain protection and a fire quickly remedied that for me; I have yet to die of the cold and haven't even been hypothermic as of yet. I don't think it's correct is saying it's raining 90% of the time either. Sometimes when I join a server, yes, it's raining 90% of the time. Other times or servers it doesn't rain at all, so it's quite variable in my experience. I don't see how going inside a building would help you fight the cold much as the temperature in the building is the same as outside. I suppose the wind could play a small role.

Rain definitely soaks you too fast though. Sometimes it's a mere sprinkle and you're nearly instantaneously soaked which is a bit silly. Hard rain should definitely cause you to be soaked in maybe a few minutes, but anything less should definitely require more time. I live in Washington State and I never wear rain jackets, yet I'm never soaked by the constant drizzle we get during the colder times of the year. Other than that I'm definitely liking the system.

Edited by solodude23

I think the weather effects are right on B) especially since it seems to be giving others so much trouble. I have yet to die from hypothermia. In fact I usually act as if the cold message means nothing so I must be doing something right accidentally.

Tonight I might TRY to die from hypothermia just for the hell of it

I think its great that it rains all day! My experience is that it rains for 10min then its sunny for 3min and it starts raining again. I think its very interesting with the new challenges this brings.

I have only died once from it and don't see it as much of an issue as an annoyance. Once you get some clothes and an axe and matches you are pretty set and shouldn't die from hypothermia ever. Whats annoying about the whole thing though is the messages that spam every second or so and the fact that there is only one way to light a fire. The messages are completely useless and it would be better if your status only showed in your inventory or if you are on the verge of collapsing, not telling you all the time that you are cold or wet. As for the lighting of fires for warmth, why can't we use the wood burning stoves inside houses? Its highly logical that in case of bad weather a survivor would go into a house and put some logs in the stove and warm themselves there. There should also be more ways to actually light a fire than matches, like lighters, tinder, rubbing two sticks together, using the sun or even flint and steel. This are things you learn in grade school ffs.

Also, just being inside a house should give you the possibility to dry and warm yourself.

I hope that this will continue to develop and hope that the effects will one day actually have an effect, rather than just be a message on a screen. If you are wet and cold for instance, you won't be firing any guns accurately without proper training. And if you are hypothermic, your movements and actions should be greatly restrained.

I have never once had the Hyperthermia status or even warmer than normal.

I find the rain quite boring as it muffles all sounds. Its rather well done though, I mean, who wants to go out when it rains?

My priority forward will be finding those damn matches. If I could only trade a box of bullets for a match....

Someone mentioned in another thread that the cold/freezing/hyperthermia mechanic was bugged on most servers and that may be what I have been experiencing. I'd say I've gone from fresh spawn to "cold" to "freezing" to "hypothermia" to "death" in the span of 40 to 60 minutes. When you are lost out in the woods, it could take half that time just to find a settlement, let alone one big enough to have the loot you need to make a fire. 

I mean, who wants to go out when it rains?

True that. Even if this were a realistic scenario, I would never, EVER go out into the rain. Only if I were being attacked. The risks FAR outweigh the benefits. This is pretty much true in-game as well. You will never need anything THAT BADLY that you need to risk hypothermia to get.

IRL, you can get hypothermia even during a light drizzle, from the buildup of sweat due to rain-gear. Also, hypothermia is FAR more debilitating than it is currently in-game. Shivering, which progresses to the point where you can't use your limbs, confusion, aggression, poor-decision making skills, etc. Look it up. Someone with advanced hypothermia should not be able to take care of themselves ( I would know, I've had advanced hypothermia, and would've died if they didn't carry me out), which in-turn would prompt the formation of survivor-groups to help each other. Maybe feature paradoxical undressing?

Who goes out when it rains !? Its a game are we supposed to sit about indoors all day ? Man i think some of you folk need to get a grip on reality .

Who goes out when it rains !? Its a game are we supposed to sit about indoors all day ? Man i think some of you folk need to get a grip on reality .

In the future, there should be things implemented in order to occupy you during a rainstorm; actual weapon maintenance (disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, sighting, zeroing, sharpening, etc), ammunition reloading, clothing , clothing and gear maintenance, food preparation, cooking, sleeping, medical treatment, etc. All of these tasks can, and definitely should, take up at least an appreciable amount of time. This would both prompt the formation of survivor groups (division of labor and all that) as well as giving us something to do during inclement weather.

• Like 1

I think to make the switch over from FPS to SURVIVAL they will have to keep increasing the harshness of the environment.  I for one welcome this willl it be challenging? Yes of course but this is the reason I bought DAYZ SA was just for that.  I could buy any onther game if I just wanted to play FPS all day.

I think the system works well right now, but obviously could use a bunch of tweaks and fixes. Haven't died once from being cold yet though. They should get rid of the spammy heat status messages and keep it to the inventory UI.

I noticed if you wear those camo boonie hats, you're automatically protected from the rain. Not sure how realistic it is but it's pretty neat.

Yes, menial work, just what everyone's been waiting for. 

IMO going out in the rain is safer than going out in bright weather, provided you have the right gear. Reduced visibility means you're harder to spot, the noise of rain and thunder means you're harder to hear. Not sure if this applies to zombies as well, but either way, you're harder to detect by other players.

Yes, menial work, just what everyone's been waiting for. 

IMO going out in the rain is safer than going out in bright weather, provided you have the right gear. Reduced visibility means you're harder to spot, the noise of rain and thunder means you're harder to hear. Not sure if this applies to zombies as well, but either way, you're harder to detect by other players.

That "menial" work is NECESSARY in a real-life survival situation. For a game that many players label as a "survival anti-game", there sure seems to be many people wanting to eliminate/lessen survival in order to facilitate PvP. Will it matter if rain makes you harder to spot, if you are dead from hypothermia after 30 minutes of travel. And, if your firearm is jammed due to neglect, you probably want to take care of that first, before searching for more gear....

I tend to agree harsher is better.

yet I will point out that right now the weather is sort of weird... If it raining on a server it will be raining the whole time.  If its sunny it will be sunny the whole time.

I think night time in Dayz proved that using real time for stuff like night and I would say weather is not very conducive to a fun game.  It would be much better if things were sped up and put into proper proportions to deal with the much shorter then real life game play session.

Who wants to get stuck in a shack, have it stop raining... walk 100 feet and have to go back cause it started again.  

While realistic, its not fun.  I agree with Sacha in that time sinks are not the solution.

imo it should rain for 10 min and be not raining for a min of 1-2 hours afterwards.  The rain should get you and your gear soaked if you choose to continue or not if you find shelter etc.

Right now with the amount of rain, you pretty much have 2 choices on a cold server.  Wear gorka or make fires every hour,  I hate the fact the game pretty much makes me where something or something is so obviously better and useful in all situations.

Hopefully the balance and tweaking will come... this is just the 2nd patch with weather.

• Like 1

Yea, I'm glad they are adding weather effects to survival but it seems like as soon as you get cold.....your doomed to die. 

90% of the time it's raining so that doesn't help. Since they added this feature, all my deaths have been due to hypothermia. I've clothed up and even worn rain coats and down jackets. Also trying to just get indoors before "hypothermia" sets in and waiting it out. But that doesn't have any effect. I know making a fire will combat the effects but most of the time I don't or can't find the materials to make a fire IN TIME. I'm finding it hard to see the point in continuing once "cold" "wet" "I'm freezing" set in. It just becomes futile to continue at that point. 

I feel your pain.

Why can't we just go in a cupboard or something and try warm up a bit at least...

Either they need to tone it down a lot or increase spawn rates of everything related to warmth, it should be a lot easier to make a fire. Fire should be easy and raincoats etc should be Jesus tier items and then one of those shitty plastic coats you can put over any clothing pretty much, God tier.

I think night time in Dayz proved that using real time for stuff like night and I would say weather is not very conducive to a fun game.  It would be much better if things were sped up and put into proper proportions to deal with the much shorter then real life game play session.

Holy shit night time I didn't even think of that how do we even live, I think they do plan to speed it up anyway but night should be at best 3 hours or it'd be ridiculously hard to survive, virtually no point playing at night unless you want the challenge for whatever strange reason.

Night needs changed a lot, especially the brightness.

Edited by UltimateGentleman

That "menial" work is NECESSARY in a real-life survival situation. For a game that many players label as a "survival anti-game", there sure seems to be many people wanting to eliminate/lessen survival in order to facilitate PvP. Will it matter if rain makes you harder to spot, if you are dead from hypothermia after 30 minutes of travel. And, if your firearm is jammed due to neglect, you probably want to take care of that first, before searching for more gear....

Menial work that takes up the time it rains on raining servers TODAY is not the kind of mechanic that will keep players.  I think the devs have it right for the most part... Gun goes down in condition, clean it with a kit in 10 seconds...  

as stated I think it just rains too much when a server is "raining"... At least for the harsh soaked/cold status as they are.  

In my personal opinion, I believe that DayZ should be so survival-based, that it would still be hard to survive even if the zombies were removed. Zombies to me are that extra push that should take survival from the "hard" to the "oh shit" level of difficulty. Hopefully the developers recognise this and push to take this game a step further in the years to come.

• Like 1

That "menial" work is NECESSARY in a real-life survival situation. For a game that many players label as a "survival anti-game", there sure seems to be many people wanting to eliminate/lessen survival in order to facilitate PvP. Will it matter if rain makes you harder to spot, if you are dead from hypothermia after 30 minutes of travel. And, if your firearm is jammed due to neglect, you probably want to take care of that first, before searching for more gear....

I just dont see why the hell the kids who want pvp to be easier dont play Arma. Please dont say age, Im 16 and still have better grasps on what DayZ is than most people XD

They're just testing the values for now I bet, the absurd rate of cold/wet/hunger states setting in is not going to be in the final product any more than our ability to sprint across the entire map with no problems. No one dies from 20 minutes in the rain. We're alpha testing so they want to see the effects pop up quicker.

• Like 1

I actually don't mind them as they are right now, but I've seen people get hypothermic pretty damn quick, possibly a bit to quick to be fair to fresh spawns who can't find a jacket in time.

like Jukaga said. I suspect they are getting the foundations of the weather & effects system in place, then expect they will spend some time adjusting values as the system becomes closer to completion

Edited by Joe King
  • Like 1

I died of hypothermia/ starvation/ everything as a freshspawn - or rather after about 30 minutes. Seemed fair since I couldn't find any warm clothing. Does seem as though the down jacket is the only thing worth wearing, though. Even in a down jacket I get messages saying "I am cooling off", though I never get a 'cold' status.

When it comes to rain, I've not had any problems when wearing my rain jacket - though it seems to bug out if you take off the jacket in the rain and put it back on again. When I did that I very quickly got soaked (within about 5 seconds) even when wearing the rain coat.

Still, I'm really enjoying the weather and hypothermia stuff. Would be nice if there were more ways to stay dry and warm, though. Seems as though a wool coat is about as much good as a t-shirt.

I think the system works well right now, but obviously could use a bunch of tweaks and fixes. Haven't died once from being cold yet though. They should get rid of the spammy heat status messages and keep it to the inventory UI.

I noticed if you wear those camo boonie hats, you're automatically protected from the rain. Not sure how realistic it is but it's pretty neat.

Not tried this but will give it a go.

Once I get a rainjacket all I get is the perpetual 'cooling down" message. Not died from cold yet.  Go the red "shaking" message but found a ruined raincoat and was saved as a new spawn.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

I died of hypothermia/ starvation/ everything as a freshspawn - or rather after about 30 minutes. Seemed fair since I couldn't find any warm clothing. Does seem as though the down jacket is the only thing worth wearing, though. Even in a down jacket I get messages saying "I am cooling off", though I never get a 'cold' status.

When it comes to rain, I've not had any problems when wearing my rain jacket - though it seems to bug out if you take off the jacket in the rain and put it back on again. When I did that I very quickly got soaked (within about 5 seconds) even when wearing the rain coat.

Still, I'm really enjoying the weather and hypothermia stuff. Would be nice if there were more ways to stay dry and warm, though. Seems as though a wool coat is about as much good as a t-shirt.

Don't agree. Any rain jacket if better than the down jacket. Once healthy the "cooling down" has not effect on me at all, but rain does. Even ruined rain jackets will keep the rain off you.