OptimumVision

Well, I combat logged.

Absolutely not, hence me cheery tone!  :)  I just don't like it when people make wild accusations, especially when they are based on a (rather baseless) stereotype. 

That's where you lose me; you call people "back shooters" because they don't support a practice that is clearly frowned upon throughout the community and is obviously not intended as a valid tacit. Plus your little stereotype doesn't really even make sense considering that if you're truly killed on sight, there's no time to log. Hell, if I KoS'd I'd accept it as my own fault if I couldn't finish the guy off.  :D I don't like combat loggers because they (in my experience) leave a situation before it has a chance to develop. After hours of running around and seeing no one, I was elated to see someone else and have a little human interaction! But NOPE! Logged the second they saw me.

That really sucks to hear man; you robbed yourself of one of the true "anti-game" aspects that makes DayZ what it is and in the end, you died a coward. Just like SkyPig said in the post above you, you didn't rob them of any satisfaction; if anything, you increased their satisfaction by running away from the situation.

Last time I was handcuffed (long ago), I was robbed of my weapon and set free. That's not to say every situation goes that well, but that was a mechanic that the game is intended to have and you skipped out on it by use of a method that is not intended. Pretty ass backwards if you ask me. Not to mention it was your fault for getting handcuffed to begin with.  :P

Is the combat log timer not enough for you? It's a mechanism designed directly for the purpose of thwarting combat loggers.

Absolutely not, but I sure as hell know people wouldn't be combat logging. That being said, it surely wouldn't be pretty in real life. There are some sick fucks out there as it is, I don't want to imagine what it'd be like if everything went to shit. I'm sure killing on sight would be a thing (not to the extent at which it exists in DayZ), but I still imagine that that frequency of KOS will go down as DayZ develops.

Good, cause for the most part I like your posts

Sorry, same here, people call everyone who combat logs cowards so I figure everyone who does is, obviously to me, is a back shooting coward, wild ass accusation meets wild ass accusations.  What's new there?  Nothing.

Like I said, I am not playing to be a toy for some sick psycho, maybe you are but I am NOT.  Nor am I going to participate in such bullshit.  I don't like any of you enough to play with you.  If I see you first, I will be evading at top speed.

No, sorry, it isn't.  Where does it say that was designed to stop combat logging?  Is this just speculation on the part of the player base or has a dev stated this as being the case?  Link please.  The reason I ask is because it is the same when logging in, plenty of times I have been killed by zeds just waiting to gain control of my character at log in. So am I "combat logging in" at that point and is that discouraged too?  Why would that be?

Sorry, but they sure as hell do.  I am sure the staff at a certain Dallas Hospital would say that Thomas Duncan "combat logged" out of West Africa.  Everyone who ran to Canada to avoid the draft during the Vietnam War were combat loggers in my eyes.  So yes, people combat log in real life, for sure, it's just not nearly as simple as disconnecting.  

if not all the people who bitch about combat loggers are back shooters who feel they are being cheated out of some imaginary score that the game is not keeping.

you gotta stop with this association of everyone in here being mindless psychopaths. i can actually recall one of the last times someone logged on me, was someone firing at me, not realizing (presumably) i was in a group 6 deep who were 50m behind me. we surrounded the building, suppressing fire, telling them to come out / surrender, and when we eventually rushed it, the guy had logged.

but i'm the "back shooting KoSer". this shit isn't black and white.

Edited by sab0t
  • Like 3

that's kind of like saying, if I want to play basketball and I am not going to bother dribbling because that's how play, that is my playstyle, and not everyone has to play along. if you don't like it, well you are arrogant / ignorant / whatever the hell else you've been repeating.

there are certain rules to certain games, dayz having like 2. sure, you can keep logging in combat because the dev implementation sucks or isn't working, but to seriously justify that shit? man, give it up, you are an 8 page running joke now.

Last time I checked, not dribbling was against THE RULES in basketball. Not the case in DayZ, where "combat logging" is integrated in the game design. You guys have some serious problems with your logic. Players exploit the rules to their advantage in every game.

• Like 1

what this guy seriously fails to realize is that Nothing has been done to stop trolls and immature/asshole kids (as he calls them) In fact it's been encouraged.

the ability to force feed rotten foods and poisons, putting a burlap sack over some poor dudes head, subduing and restraining an individual so they can't escape while the other players (and yes they are assholes and immature most of the time lol) do what they wish to your avatar/character. but those acts, again, are allowed and encouraged... even given the tools, commands and options to do so.

combat logging on the other hand is not allowed and there have been steps taken to prevent that from happening. whether or not those steps put in place are up to your standards is irrelevant.

the fact remains that being an asshole is allowed but combat logging is not. and before you reply just consider the fact that some asshole kid trying to bugger yours, mine or anyone else's character is combat.

they may not be firing at you with guns or chopping at you with axes... but it is still them verses you.

also consider this, when you log because you deem their actions inappropriate they still win, you took nothing from them, you didn't troll them, you didn't rob them of any satisfaction.

because they still see your logging as running home to mom for soothing hugs and kisses... and so does the overwhelming majority of people participating in this thread.

You need to go back and read this thread buddy. If you're going to refute me, you need to know what I said. I've NOT once said anything about logging off because someone captured you and wants to force-fed, or beat you up, or whatever. I'm fully aware that those were purposely integrated in the game

What I did say was that I don't have to put up with vulgarity. Look up the definition, then we'll talk. 

Being a "jerk" is a valid part of this game, and I never said I had a problem with it. You're not the first one who didn't have their facts straight, and I doubt you'll be the last. 

you're kinda funny when you get your feathers all ruffled up!

I do apologize for upsetting you. i should have said "these guys" not "this guy".

but the point still stands...

Like I said, I am not playing to be a toy for some sick psycho, maybe you are but I am NOT.  Nor am I going to participate in such bullshit.  I don't like any of you enough to play with you.  If I see you first, I will be evading at top speed.

Look, I don't even remember the last time I was a, "toy for some sick psycho," but if it happens to you so often may I suggest that you change your playstyle? If you're able to get yourself into such a situation is it really that horrible for you to face the consequence? We're both playing the same game here, the difference is I don't combat log when I get myself in trouble.

No, sorry, it isn't.  Where does it say that was designed to stop combat logging?  Is this just speculation on the part of the player base or has a dev stated this as being the case?  Link please.  The reason I ask is because it is the same when logging in, plenty of times I have been killed by zeds just waiting to gain control of my character at log in. So am I "combat logging in" at that point and is that discouraged too?  Why would that be?

I wasn't going to search all over for you, but since you genuinely don't seem to know that it was added on purpose, here's a link to the changelog in which the logout timer was added (below). The login delay has always been there and is due to lag or whatever you want to call it. The logout timer was intentionally added after everyone was complaining about combat loggers. Of course you'll be happy to point out that it doesn't say anything about combat logging in there, but is it really that hard to deduce?
  • Login: When players logout, their avatar sits on ground for 30 seconds. Players must make sure they logout somewhere safe
http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/169526-pending-changelog-experimental-branch-033114782/

Sorry, but they sure as hell do.  I am sure the staff at a certain Dallas Hospital would say that Thomas Duncan "combat logged" out of West Africa.  Everyone who ran to Canada to avoid the draft during the Vietnam War were combat loggers in my eyes.  So yes, people combat log in real life, for sure, it's just not nearly as simple as disconnecting.

Oh man, you went there. :huh: For one, Duncan wasn't in combat. Second, he wasn't hand cuffed or being held at gunpoint. Third point you already covered; it's in no way comparable when it's not nearly as simple as disconnecting. Vietnam? None of them were actually in combat yet. In the world of DayZ, this would be more comparable to going off into the woods and living like a hermit to avoid other players; a fair and valid way to play. (Not a bad way to play either, I always travel in the woods) Edited by solodude23
  • Like 2

I'm betting many of these holier-than-thou characters here have combatlogged at least once themselves :P

Edited by Sacha

I've combat logged when a clan trapped me in the control tower and proceeded to use homophobic, racsist, and vulgar words when I shot at them if they tried to get in.

I'm not gonna play if people are going to act like idiots. Plain and simple.

And this, folks, is what I've been trying to say all along. If someone thinks it's their "play style" to act like a teenager in puberty, be my guest. But there's no rule that says I, or anyone else, has to play along. 

Real life people have gone to sleep, woken up, and continued this thread for days.  It honestly blows me away.  Neither side should feel like they've won anything.  Especially an argument on the internet.  Please stop and let this thread die.  It's not helping anything.

• Like 1

Real life people have gone to sleep, woken up, and continued this thread for days.  It honestly blows me away.  Neither side should feel like they've won anything.  Especially an argument on the internet.  Please stop and let this thread die.  It's not helping anything.

And yet, here you are, posting in this thread. Posts like this will never make sense to me. 

I come back to this thread and actually see people defending the act of Combat Logging...I'm genuinely shocked. 

• Like 3

Get off your hypocritical high horse, buddy. If you're going to defend their right to play how they want to play, you ought to also defend everyone else's right to log off so that the KoS'er can't enjoy the satisfaction of killing them. Players have just as much a right to deter KoS'ing as the KoS'er has to KoS. I know you think you're hot stuff hiding behind an internet profile accusing other individuals of cowardice, but you've got no one convinced. 

I do not feel what you say to be correct. Killing on Sight is not exploiting game mechanics (or lack thereof, perhaps), whereas combat logging is doing exactly that. There is also no accurate way to differentiate between one who kills on sight with one who has actual motives (a 'valid' reason to kill, in a sense) whilst you are being shot at by the aforementioned player; therefore, to combat log in said circumstance could be unfair to a player who doesn't just kill on sight

Combat logging because you think your foe is a KoSer is, I find, nonsensical.

--

This discussion is only going in circles; it has had its time. Unfortunately, many of you have failed to be civil.

Locked.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 6