Xbow

I am shaking...but!

*snip*

The Atlatl

*snip*

Beans.

The newest member of Dual Survival uses this to hunt to great effect.

• Like 1

Yeah I know they want to make this a realistic survival game and they they have installed many features to to make it so. However one would hope that eventually a man dressed in a Fireman's Jacket, Cargo Pants, Balaclava, Radar Cap, Work Gloves, and Military Boots that is Healthy-Hydrated-Energized would have some degree of superiority with respect to resistance to cold weather  over a starving butt naked Noob fresh from the coast. I guess when it is time to scale these features they will do so.

However I have been getting quite efficient at building fires to warn up and that seems to work quite well. I now carry a fire kit and usually have raw meat that needs to be cooked so I just combine a cookout with a warming period usually in a remote shack or house. But that doesn't alter the fact that clothes a player has on should matter and should a T shirt wearing Noob or Re-spawn really be cold, shaking and heading towards hypothermia at high noon on a bright sunny day?     

So the clothes you're wearing do matter, you'll notice that you drop heat a lot more rapidly if you go naked, it just seems most servers are horridly frigid right now. Unless you've become cold immune which I talk about here, it seems on most servers you'll be losing body heat almost no matter what you're wearing.

• Like 1

Beans.

The newest member of Dual Survival uses this to hunt to great effect.

Cool I watched a film of some Australian Aboriginals launching spears with their throwing sticks at a target...they looked devastating.   

Ebrim wrote, " it just seems most servers are horridly frigid right now. Unless you've become cold immune which I talk about here, it seems on most servers you'll be losing body heat almost no matter what you're wearing."

Now that is interesting thanks for the info.  :thumbsup:

Beans?  :beans:

Edited by Xbow

Note: Here is a survival tool that can be made in the bush I am attempting to craft one and then learn how to use it. The Atlatl

atlatl_deer_big.jpg

Instead of a flint point (I don't do flint Knapping)  I'll make my spears with flame hardened tips and see if I can kill dinner with it. 

As an aside, they are fun as all hell, but like any "primitive" weapon, they require a LOT of practice to even become proficient with.

In my experiences, and with regards to my environment (Temperate Deciduous Forest), a Bow is both more effective and more efficient. It takes a lot longer to make, and requires more know-how, but it is "easier" (everyone has at least an idea of how to fire a bow, even if they won't hit anything) to uses and more efficient in terms of ammunition ( I have 12 arrows I knapped the heads out of glass for. They fit into a side pocket on my BOB).

As an aside to the aside; I really, REALLY dislike how the "improvised bow" in currently implemented in-game. I've touched on this before, but that is not how you make an actual bow. At all. Unless you are deliberately trying to not hit anything.

• Like 2

As an aside, they are fun as all hell, but like any "primitive" weapon, they require a LOT of practice to even become proficient with.

In my experiences, and with regards to my environment (Temperate Deciduous Forest), a Bow is both more effective and more efficient. It takes a lot longer to make, and requires more know-how, but it is "easier" (everyone has at least an idea of how to fire a bow, even if they won't hit anything) to uses and more efficient in terms of ammunition ( I have 12 arrows I knapped the heads out of glass for. They fit into a side pocket on my BOB).

As an aside to the aside; I really, REALLY dislike how the "improvised bow" in currently implemented in-game. I've touched on this before, but that is not how you make an actual bow. At all. Unless you are deliberately trying to not hit anything.

Its a rather shitty bow anyways. And finding said feathers for it is virtually almost impossible atm due to lack of chickens in general making it a very underwhelming and none desirable crafted weapon. Im all about crated items and weapons but when the feathers are harder to almost find than a Press Vest it gets rather silly.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

Zombie Milkman You have your Beans sir!!!  and I do know what you are talking about. When they say Maine has all four seasons they mean it and  Katahdin has the appearance of any +12,000ft peak in the Sierras (to me). I've never been climbing in Maine but I have done a little backpacking there and on that hike it was cold wet not cold enough to freeze but cold, wet and windy enough to suck your energy away quickly.

The last time I climbed Mount Whitney (14,450ft and the hump starts at 8300ft). It was in late October (a dangerous time). On the way up from the Portal it was warm and clear and I saw some morons on the trail wearing T shirts shorts and fanny packs. My buddies and I had in our packs full on winter kits (October is unpredictable). The mountain was climbed via the steep but easy class 4 winter rout that starts just above the Iceberg lake Basin at 13,000ft or so. Some of the dweebs made sport of our heavy loads and ice axes on the way up and gave me advise on how to get to Everest...But 1/3d of the way down a rather nasty storm hit in the late afternoon and dumped  wind snow and COLD weather on us. We just set up camp and deployed the two tents and hunkered down and started cooking and preparing hot drinks. The dummies had a rather bad night of it. We heard some of them whining and crying on the way down they selected. I'm glad they didn't come across me and my buds looking for handouts because that saved us from denying them any assistance. 

Note:  I liked several aspects of STAKE LAND especially:

1) The Vamps looked like and were as stupid as Zombies.

2) They existed by scavenging trading Vamp teeth and their wits.

3) There were very few state of the art movie guns in the film.

Have you read, "The Postman?" The film sucked balls big time but the book is prime Post Apoc.

Read the first couple of pages from chapter 1 and you'll be hooked. Amazon.com Look inside  http://www.amazon.com/The-Postman-David-Brin/dp/0553278746

Thank you and here's some beans for the recommendation to read the postman as opposed to watching the movie I wish I could erase from my memory.

The Sierras rock.  I am a big fan of Mammoth Lake and Tahoe.

• Like 1

Thank you and here's some beans for the recommendation to read the postman as opposed to watching the movie I wish I could erase from my memory.

Unfortunately that will never happen and you will have to watch civil war postman apocalypse reruns of it FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! 83

• Like 1

Are you talking about the goofy temp/message variance that has occured since the weds .491 patch or has this been an issue since day 1?

When .49 hit, gorka gear and a hat was all it took to be 100% weather proof.

First day of .49 my char almost died due to hypothermia, fresh spawn locations were looted got hypothermia as I ran from town to town just trying to get a jacket (only to be soaked due to rain every 5 min).  While I think I was close to death, my screen was getting grey, eventually I found some warmer clothes, hat etc and barely made it.   My opinion is if its late fall in Chererus you would think people would at least have a hoodie or light jacket instead of t-shirt and jeans.

The .491 patch hit and many people noticed chances, hard to track down, some people thought it was server or even by player glitch, maybe some season/weather settings?   A server I played on consistently, I was instantly "cold" until today.   Never died with gorka gear or got hypothermia status with hours of running around, just cold constantly.

If you are complaining about the last path, I can understand.  Either they changed something too aggressively or it is a odd bug which happens.

Zombie Milkman has posted his opinion before and it basically comes down to they shouldn't implement anything until its 100% feature rich and be 100% authentic.  If you buy into the "alpha" part of this game, then one can assume the weather and toon reaction to weather, clothing etc is just the basics and beginning.  

I don't know, the devs haven't come out and said they are done with weather, but I also haven't seen a road map or expectations for final product.

The only thing I can tell you as a software engineer.  You always set the simple building blocks first to ensure you base features function the way you expect.  Keep it fairly simple, on/off, workie no workie.  Then you expand, like with more robust clothes layers per se.

As I mentioned earlier it isn't about whether we are in alpha or not.  I get alpha as I have supported all sorts of seemingly broken parts of the game in the past with the alpha factoid.  I also expect that many things will be improved on in time - such as the complete removal of rotten food.  They made the keep/don't keep choice, and I believe they made the right one. 

The devs brought weather in and I like it.  But along with it they didn't institute any way to defeat it using a system that makes sense.  The concept of a fire kit, needing to chop a green tree down to make a log...  It reminds me of when someone (who never played) tries to tell me about hockey, or worse, designs a hockey game without any input from people who know the sport from a practical level.  It is humorous.  So here we are with the beginning of a weather mechanic that are married to a clothing mechanic, storage mechanic, fire building mechanic, and they scream that the folks building this have no idea on a practical level of what they are doing.  Is this the worst thing in the world?  Of course not, but just like when you have someone writing a book about a subject they know nothing about, it helps to do some amount of research, consult people who do know what is important to make the form of entertainment as close to reality as possible because the last thing you want is for someone to throw their hands up and say, "this is silly, like ridiculous silly."

This opening stab at climate & thermal mechanics is silly.  Not being able to wear a shirt beneath your hoodie is silly.  And yes, it is silly even for an alpha.  I am not looking for a polished end result like you say.  I am looking for a solid start, which this is not.

• Like 1

Has anyone else had issues with the fire not warming the person who placed it? I notice it keeps my friends nice and toasty, but I usually have to exit the server and rejoin it before it helps me out. 

• Like 1

The Costner version was such utter sappy horse shit that I walked out half way through and I wish I could eliminate it from my memory as well. But I fear DeathLove might be right. It may have mutilated my mind and become an indelible scar  :(

For the last few years I have been hanging in the Mount Whitney to The Palisades area and Owens gorge and I live two miles from Indian Cove in Joshua Tree National Park 

Its hard to pick a bad spot in the Sierras. Hey! Have you ever climbed Crystal Craig in the Mammoth Lakes area its a hoot. To me the best climbs are on the left side of the picture.  

107183771_medium_4b53ac.jpg

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/crystal-crag/105983733

The Costner version was such utter sappy horse shit that I walked out half way through and I wish I could eliminate it from my memory as well. But I fear DeathLove might be right. It may have mutilated my mind and become an indelible scar  :(

For the last few years I have been hanging in the Mount Whitney to The Palisades area and Owens gorge and I live two miles from Indian Cove in Joshua Tree National Park 

Its hard to pick a bad spot in the Sierras. Hey! Have you ever climbed Crystal Craig in the Mammoth Lakes area its a hoot. To me the best climbs are on the left side of the picture.  

107183771_medium_4b53ac.jpg

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/crystal-crag/105983733

I was more inclined for the parts a little to the northeast as it took me to an amazing columnar formation.  I have a geology degree so the basaltic columns of the Devil's Postpile are something I enjoy visiting. 

As an aside, did you ever go to Mono Lake?  They filmed an Eastwood western there.

On setting up a fire IRL, tell me, did you ever need a "fireplace kit?"  :lol:   The concept is just so damn hokey, as is instantly breaking it down to components including the burning embers log. chucking it in your backpack, and scrambling outta there before the bad guys ride in.  BUT, I can forgive the quick breakdown and lack of respect for glowing embers as all alpha stuff or fantasy you suffer through for the benefit the game offers in entertainment value.  What is broken to the core is needing a firestarter "kit."  When I was a kid, pre-hairy bits no less, I could walk into any forested place and gather what I needed in likely less than a minute.  My fire starter kit was a pocket knife and a box of blue tips.  Give me a minute to make some kindling and get some dry grass for the real 1st step to making a  fire, and then get er ripping.  I never used a burlap sack.    I never had to chop down a tree.  I must be a wizard or something!  Or maybe the guys making this game should talk to some people, perhaps a nephew in boy scouts... and get some real world advice on what is good, and what is silly.

And give us layering. :lol:

• Like 3

I was more inclined for the parts a little to the northeast as it took me to an amazing columnar formation.  I have a geology degree so the basaltic columns of the Devil's Postpile are something I enjoy visiting. 

As an aside, did you ever go to Mono Lake?  They filmed an Eastwood western there.

On setting up a fire IRL, tell me, did you ever need a "fireplace kit?"  :lol:   The concept is just so damn hokey, as is instantly breaking it down to components including the burning embers log. chucking it in your backpack, and scrambling outta there before the bad guys ride in.  BUT, I can forgive the quick breakdown and lack of respect for glowing embers as all alpha stuff or fantasy you suffer through for the benefit the game offers in entertainment value.  What is broken to the core is needing a firestarter "kit."  When I was a kid, pre-hairy bits no less, I could walk into any forested place and gather what I needed in likely less than a minute.  My fire starter kit was a pocket knife and a box of blue tips.  Give me a minute to make some kindling and get some dry grass for the real 1st step to making a  fire, and then get er ripping.  I never used a burlap sack.    I never had to chop down a tree.  I must be a wizard or something!  Or maybe the guys making this game should talk to some people, perhaps a nephew in boy scouts... and get some real world advice on what is good, and what is silly.

Damn straight.

I haven't had to use a fire yet. Only ever gotten to cold status.

Just keep running and though shall stay warm through rain or shine. I would like fatigue, weight, and resting mechanics though. So it isn't so easy for me.

Where do you tend to hang out? Be cause I am cold ALL the time with my down jacket, ect. I am up north, mostly in Novo and Svet. I do kind of remember reading that the north will be cold, being in a higher elevation. May I should relocate to sunny and warmer places down south. I just don't like Electro and Cherno with all the PvP and KoS.  I do want to run into people, just don't want to be shot without cause!

Verify your game cache. I could only warm up by fires before now I can warm up with clothes. Iused to have to light fires every 20-30 minutes and carried a fire kit. Now I don't.

Edited by freethink

Where do you tend to hang out? Be cause I am cold ALL the time with my down jacket, ect. I am up north, mostly in Novo and Svet. I do kind of remember reading that the north will be cold, being in a higher elevation. May I should relocate to sunny and warmer places down south. I just don't like Electro and Cherno with all the PvP and KoS.  I do want to run into people, just don't want to be shot without cause!

Someone...lol he just replied as I said this, what freethink said.

Apparently that works, I haven't played since doing it but I've definitely been cold constantly.

But I've not been getting cold, warm, cold, warm it's been "cooling down" over and over so there must be something wrong with mine.

I just hope it doesn't end up that fully geared people become immortal gods compared to fresh spawns, if you come across anyone geared you're utterly fucked unless the universe dictates they not be an asshole.

Hopefully they make it so that being fully geared makes you significantly slower and less agile(in reference to switching guns etc) as people would be IRL.

I think the text notifications are written wrong. I think that if you current temperature is lower than normal, it will state that you are getting colder and not that you are colder than you should be. And when you are way colder than you should be, it states that your rapidly getting colder. Like the text is written wrongly. As I get "you are slowly cooling off" when I am infact warming up, and get "you are slowly warming up* when I hit desired temperature.

Simply read it as:

-"you are currently a bit cold"

-"you are currently very cold"

-"you are at desired temperature"

Edited by kimmaz

I have camped, hiked and hunted all over the Mono recess. Good deer hunting there, its a cool place. There are some good restaurants and a couple of motels in Lee Vining. Clint Eastwood made High Planes Drifter there. 

No I have never needed or even heard of a Fireplace kit. I do make fire starters out of a little powdered magnesium and Paraffin wax soaked news paper rolled up like a miniature presto log. They will get wood  going. Its strange but the best thing about a fire for me is that it cheers me up when I am alone in the woods. However since I live in the Peoples Republic of California you need a fire permit to build a campfire in wilderness country, and often you cant get one. But I figure If I want a small fire I'll build one and risk the ticket I haven't gotten one yet :) .  

And the Devs could do worse than higher a Boy Scout to teach them a little woods craft. :P 

Beans? :beans:       

• Like 2

I have camped, hiked and hunted all over the Mono recess. Good deer hunting there, its a cool place. There are some good restaurants and a couple of motels in Lee Vining. Clint Eastwood made High Planes Drifter there. 

No I have never needed or even heard of a Fireplace kit. I do make fire starters out of a little powdered magnesium and Paraffin wax soaked news paper rolled up like a miniature presto log. They will get wood  going. Its strange but the best thing about a fire for me is that it cheers me up when I am alone in the woods. However since I live in the Peoples Republic of California you need a fire permit to build a campfire in wilderness country, and often you cant get one. But I figure If I want a small fire I'll build one and risk the ticket I haven't gotten one yet :) .  

And the Devs could do worse than higher a Boy Scout to teach them a little woods craft. :P

GOD BLESS THE 2 HEADED BEAR!

300px-FNV_NCR_Flag.png

• Like 2

LOL yeah, but for good reason.  I am living in the left coast as well and last week I had to go north of Auburn to look at a job site.  It was like walking into hell because of the raging fire northeast of Placerville.  I am so paranoid about starting a fire I won't use model rockets with my son until the wet season is here (if it happens, that is.)

Barbera Boxer did not endorse this message.

• Like 1

LOL yeah, but for good reason.  I am living in the left coast as well and last week I had to go north of Auburn to look at a job site.  It was like walking into hell because of the raging fire northeast of Placerville.  I am so paranoid about starting a fire I won't use model rockets with my son until the wet season is here (if it happens, that is.)

Barbera Boxer did not endorse this message.

The sad thing is that a good portion of the rip roaring fires in California are: Intentionally set by fire bugs, set by seasonal fire fighting workers looking for hazardous duty pay and overtime, lightning strikes, and most of all treehugger mismanagement that doesn't allow people to thin out the dead and dying saplings between the mature trees. Neglected Camp fires are not a major cause of Forest fires. Here is how I feel about Tree Huggers

Please be advised that actually give my time to the state for free in clearing firebreaks for at least a few days a year while the punk hippies cry like punks for the lost wilderness.   

Fire is a natural process that the forests need to to remain healthy and procreate. As an example the BLM  allows people to get a cheap permit and haul out as much firewood from the dead and dying trees as they want. The result is less major fires on heavily forested BLM areas than in National Forest, State Parks and Wild Life preserves. By treating every fire as a disaster that must be eliminated the under growth builds up over a number of years and creates a giagntic tinder box.

Barbra Boxer said, "When the Space Aliens come down and see what we are doing to our planet what would that tell them about us?"  That  bitch is flat out dense, dumb and as loony as they come.  

[Edit]

Rock climbing is a natural for you being a Geologist. Many moons ago when I first started rock climbing I took a course in Geology that included lots of field trips. Its nice to know  exactly what you are climbing on :thumbsup:

Beans?  :beans:

Here is an image as of un climbed 2000ft face in Nevada, Wheeler Peak's East Face. That it is un-climbed  is apparently due to the Quartzite it is made of. Alhough the rock is hard and , offers good friction the Rock is removable in large hunks and natural rock fall is common. In any case the scree loaded ledge systems and character of the rock makes it unstable.  

Wheeler Peak East Face

24137.jpg

Close up. 

34695.jpg

Looks nasty to me.

I'm sure a guy like you that admires columnar Basalt would find considerable enjoyment climbing the hexagonal jointed columnar Phonolite (clinkstone)  of Devils Tower 

Devils_Tower_CROP.jpg

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

GOD BLESS THE 2 HEADED BEAR!

300px-FNV_NCR_Flag.png

The infamous NCR.  I've played a bit of all four iterations of Fallout. I have NEVER sided in with the NCR in Fallout New Vegas ; It's too much fun tossing that Nazi gas bag General Oliver off the dam ;)

Edited by Xbow

Here is an image as of un climbed 2000ft face in Nevada, Wheeler Peak's East Face. That it is un-climbed  is apparently due to the Quartzite it is made of. Alhough the rock is hard and , offers good friction the Rock is removable in large hunks and natural rock fall is common. In any case the scree loaded ledge systems and character of the rock makes it unstable.  

I'm sure a guy like you that admires columnar Basalt would find considerable enjoyment climbing the hexagonal jointed columnar Phonolite (clinkstone)  of Devils Tower 

Oh hell yeah but I have not been there so you got one on me (sounds like you have many on me, lol). 

Quartzite - usually a hard stone but you are climbing something that has been weathering forever, and the genesis of quartzite is sandstone, so you start with a sedimentary material of unkown purity, cement and reorganize ionic structure metamorphically, then allow it to sit exposed for a million+ years... I could see where over time the fractures make it a suicidal climb.  I climbed a small escarpment by Jasper Beach near Machias and was lucky I didn't fall the 20 to 30 feet as the material was so loose we had movement with each hand up.

I used to hit the Shawangunks in NY for climbing.  I wasn't one to climb the big heights but this place was pretty renowned for it.

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/trips/americas-best-adventures/climb-new-york-gunks/

If you ever get to that part of the world I highly recommend it.

BTW - thanks for fighting the fires.  And to heck with the tree huggers.  They only see the world from the center of their universe.

• Like 1

The infamous NCR.  I've played a bit of all four iterations of Fallout. I have NEVER sided in with the NCR in Fallout New Vegas ; It's too much fun tossing that Nazi gas bag General Oliver off the dam ;)

Where as I could never side with the techno-autocrat House, nor subscribe to the institutionalized anarchy that was an Independent Vegas.

The Legion was just too puppy-eatingly awful to support (seriously, every other faction was at least morally grey. The Legion was a throbbing black cancerous tumor)

If you "play your cards right " (HAR HAR HAR) and get the best outcomes for many sidequests, siding with the NCR results in arguably the best outcomes for the Mojave Wasteland. The only ones who get fucked over are the Khans, and they are a bunch of meth'd-up bandits anyways, so I never really gave that much of a shit about them.

I went from spawn to freezing in a matter of minutes and even fully clothed, I still get freezing. Standing by a fire I get I am warming up until I'm no longer cold then I get no messages at all. I never get too hot, always too cold no matter what I wear and it's really quick too.