myfabi94

Why use DayZ as an Ego-Shooter?

So basically whenever I try to do anything even remotely Role-Play-ish I get shot immediately. What's the point in that? I try to actively avoid PvP servers, and not even once have I been actually stopped or robbed or even had a conversation of more than 10 sec. All that happens is, you go around, looking for stuff, you're happy with a Mosin or a

Sporter 22, or a pistol, mainly for Zombie Defense and some guy either snipes you, or when you meet, before saying a single word just shoots you for no reason. I had people in big  trouble fighting zombies and before they were all dead (me doing most of the work) he'll just immediately beat you to death and loot your stuff.

I love the game and I would play it more often if people weren't confusing it for any other Ego-Shooter. What am I doing wrong in playing the game as what it is, a survival game with an emphasis on Teamwork and Communication. Why have the Voicecom anyways if nobody uses it except for trolling?

For me at least it's completely unplayable in the way I want to play it.

• Like 4

Problem is: The game is FAR to easy at the moment.

1. No teamwork is needed for anything

2. Surviving on your own is very, very simple

3. Every douche can get military gear and weapons without hard work in a very a short time#

All this PvP and KoS is mainly happening, because 1.) people are bored because there is nothing to do once you are geared up and 2.) because the game is so easy, we have hordes of "Call of Duty"-type kids that don't know anything else but shooting, dying, respawning...

Once the game becomes harder and surviving more of a challenge, all the stupid ego shooter kids whos main goal it is to upload videos with titles like "0ver PWN0r killz 4 bandids with rotten applez in DayZ" to Youtube will whine around for a couple weeks and then go back to Call of Duty and Battlefield. THEN we will eventually see some teamwork.... :D

Edited by DerDuderich
  • Like 5

we need hordes of zombies inside main citys and in military camps. Before any increase in the zombie threat to force people to teamwork, don't expect anyone to be friendly.

• Like 4

You're right in that there's not that much drive for cooperatoin save for people on yoru steam friends, but for the most part if you're roleplaying you're going to get shot

a lot.

I love the game and I would play it more often if people weren't confusing it for any other Ego-Shooter. What am I doing wrong in playing the game as what it is, a survival game with an emphasis on Teamwork and Communication. Why have the Voicecom anyways if nobody uses it except for trolling?

What you're doing wrong is assuming it's a survival game with emphasis on teamwork and communication.

Aside from the fact that the game is still in alpha, there is literately nothing that requires teamwork or any form of communication. And if people do communicate, it's through teamspeak or some other 3rd party software.

The game you have in mind is far from being done and most likely will never even exist. Killing On Sight is something that will always be present in DayZ. If you really want to avoid it, wait for private hives and go play with a Role Playing community that has their own server that has a password and is whitelisted.

The things you're expecting from public hives are, unfortunately, unrealistic.

Edited by Chompster

So basically whenever I try to do anything even remotely Role-Play-ish I get shot immediately. What's the point in that? I try to actively avoid PvP servers, and not even once have I been actually stopped or robbed or even had a conversation of more than 10 sec. All that happens is, you go around, looking for stuff, you're happy with a Mosin or a

Sporter 22, or a pistol, mainly for Zombie Defense and some guy either snipes you, or when you meet, before saying a single word just shoots you for no reason. I had people in big  trouble fighting zombies and before they were all dead (me doing most of the work) he'll just immediately beat you to death and loot your stuff.

sadly you'll have to wait for whitelists and private shards... its the ONLY way to sort out the playstyles and get people into servers with like minded sorts..

until then ur stuck with the KoS kiddies...

They are not confusing the game for an ego shooter, this is a game you can play in various way, they decided they where not going to roleplay, or give you the wiggle room you hoped for. Again, this is a game where others can influence how you will be allowed to play.

• Like 2

I long for the day when the game is so brutal, survival so difficult, that you will actually be happy to see another player because it might increase your ability to stay alive for more than 30 minutes.

• Like 5

I long for the day when the game is so brutal, survival so difficult, that you will actually be happy to see another player because it might increase your ability to stay alive for more than 30 minutes.

You should be both happy and fearful when seeing another player. Not just happy.

You should be both happy and fearful when seeing another player. Not just happy.

Very fair.  Everyone should watch the movie "The Road."  That movie captures what I like about this game.

• Like 1

That's a nice opinion.   You state it so matter-of-factly.

• Like 1

Of course people can play how they want, but shooting someone before they even know you're there causes you to miss out on any interaction at all. Some of the funniest moments I've had in the game wouldn't have happened if I hadn't talked to a guy before I've blapped him.

Blame triple A studios for not thinking up something more creative than "deathmatch" variations for the past god knows how many years. Something new and a bit different comes along and 99% seem to just slip into a default PvP play style.  

Private shards will save dayz imo. Communities will grow...yes there will be bandits, always...but that's a good thing and dayz would be crap without them. But there will be communities that are much more balanced, enough friendly groups to have some good trade and interaction. But enough bandit groups to keep you on your toes :)

• Like 1

Private shards will save dayz imo. Communities will grow...yes there will be bandits, always...but that's a good thing and dayz would be crap without them. But there will be communities that are much more balanced, enough friendly groups to have some good trade and interaction. But enough bandit groups to keep you on your toes :)

I really really hope so. Can't wait for it. ;-)

Well I belive its caused by lack of endgame cooperative stuff like farming/vehicles/bases + the thrill of being a muder you know, assassinating people for them lols and tears. This will aways be a thing in this game imo.

If you want to have more friendly encounters, you gotta make that happen by leaving the other player with no other option if not talk to you. You will need a gun and some steath skills to make that man. As a fresh respawn, you are safer by hiding your ass at all costs.

The trick is to not let it bother you when you get killed on sight like that, just shake it off and respawn. The person who's role you are playing wouldn't even have time to care, so why should you? I usually have way more fun in the first few hours of survival than after I've gotten all geared up anyway, after a while I am half hoping for someone to kill me so I can go back to being in that vulnerable state.

When 90% of player interactions are kill on sight, it makes those last 10% that much better. Don't give up hope, good things come to those who wait.

"Stupid CoD kiddies who do not play MY accepted play style. Every time I see someone wearing (face obscuring clothing here) I immediately snipe them from 1000m away. The game is PvE not PvP, moronic 12 year olds who should stick with Battle Field. :)"

we need hordes of zombies inside main citys and in military camps. Before any increase in the zombie threat to force people to teamwork, don't expect anyone to be friendly.

no amount of zombies or difficulty will make people work together.

People need to realize that a large chunk of the community does not care about meeting people or roleplaying they just want to kill other players.

"Stupid CoD kiddies who do not play MY accepted play style. Every time I see someone wearing (face obscuring clothing here) I immediately snipe them from 1000m away. The game is PvE not PvP, moronic 12 year olds who should stick with Battle Field. :)"

Is all you know how to write a Strawman argument?

Ignore the troll, ladies and gentlemen.

The OP is also a troll for assuming every one who kills him is an egotistical ass and vents because they do not play HIS way.

I know this may make me a bad person, but I get an incredibly hearty and copious

prTaqbU.gif?1

when I introduce a bullet to the bridge of somebody's nose in DayZ who had it coming.

If there were zombie hordes, then people would have no choice but to work together (or at least not kill eachother)

If you really want to know why people play the game as you say, an Ego-Shooter, there's a 113 page thread that pretty much explains it.

Every time someone comes here in whines about this shit, you just throw more fuel on the fire. Play the game to have fun and take enjoyment out of each new life you are forced to start and you'll be shitting with ease in no time.

What am I doing wrong in playing the game as what it is, a survival game with an emphasis on Teamwork and Communication. Why have the Voicecom anyways if nobody uses it except for trolling?

This is what you're doing wrong, that's not what it current is.  At least not the way you seem to be thinking it.

It's a sandbox, play it however you want but it doesn't mean everyone else is going to play the way you want.  If it's no fun to play the way you want, then I suggest waiting till more features are added that might help with your playstyle.

Personally I have plenty of interactions when I look for them.  You probably just need to change your approach, and possibly lower expectations.  It's not hard to have interactions that don't result in death but you need to take precautions and approach it with the right attitude especially.

• Like 1