anderswhk

Mistakes you see people do all the time in DayZ

Unless it was your point all along, isn't Teamspeak kind of an exploit too? ;)

• Like 2

People run to much imo, it gives away your position so bad its not even funny. This is even more present on groups, I love to slay groups of people that seems to be in a hurry.

Thats why I mostly lone wolf, I can survive much longer if I take my time and go alone. Also this is good to hear people imo, I usually hear them first and then see them, since I don't like to snipe.

Oh and people who shot at zeds too. Never a good idea imo.

Here's the #1 mistake I see that costs probably more lives than anything anyone so far has listed:

Having their FOV set to maximum.

If a streamer or youtuber has their FOV set to maximum, I shut them off/close their video/stream immediately.

If you set your FOV to maximum, you are a bad player. You may not know you are a bad player, but you are.

Facts:

1. High FOV screws over your visual fidelity. It stretches (blurs) the screen so you cannot make out details.

2. High FOV reduces the range your character can see.

3. High FOV applies to scopes as well, so if you look through a scope, you will not be able to see as far as you should.

4. The eye is drawn to high-contrast and movement.. Both of which high FOV can compromise.

5. High FOV makes targets smaller/harder to hit.

Don't believe me? Test for yourself. Compare max FOV to medium or low FOV, and see the difference in how far you can see a player standing in a treeline or on top of a police station.

Max FOV -> About or less than 100 meters.

Low FOV -> 300+ meters.

I can't tell you how many times players simply have not seen me because their FOV is cranked.

Save your own life - Set your FOV to approximately default (About the END of the word FIELD in "FIELD OF VIEW")

Next biggest thing I'd say is people who run directly to the highest value loot spawns without scouting the area. If you haven't scouted the area, you have no idea who's around or where they could possibly be. Furthermore, you're probably missing out on a lot of good loot. If you go to Elektro and only hit the 2 fire-stations, Police station, and the school, your odds of finding a gun are pretty slim.. Where-as if you check all of the row houses and smaller houses, you're practically guaranteed to find an SKS, Mosin, Blaze, or Shotgun.

Also, people who run around focusing completely on looting without ever checking their surroundings.. Kind of goes with the last paragraph and ties into the same mentality that runs around with high FOV.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 2

Here's the #1 mistake I see that costs probably more lives than anything anyone so far has listed:

Having their FOV set to maximum.

If a streamer or youtuber has their FOV set to maximum, I shut them off/close their video/stream immediately.

If you set your FOV to maximum, you are a bad player. You may not know you are a bad player, but you are.

Facts:

1. High FOV screws over your visual fidelity. It stretches (blurs) the screen so you cannot make out details.

2. High FOV reduces the range your character can see.

3. High FOV applies to scopes as well, so if you look through a scope, you will not be able to see as far as you should.

4. The eye is drawn to high-contrast and movement.. Both of which high FOV can compromise.

5. High FOV makes targets smaller/harder to hit.

Don't believe me? Test for yourself. Compare max FOV to medium or low FOV, and see the difference in how far you can see a player standing in a treeline or on top of a police station.

Max FOV -> About or less than 100 meters.

Low FOV -> 300+ meters.

I can't tell you how many times players simply have not seen me because their FOV is cranked.

Save your own life - Set your FOV to approximately default (About the END of the word FIELD in "FIELD OF VIEW")

Next biggest thing I'd say is people who run directly to the highest value loot spawns without scouting the area. If you haven't scouted the area, you have no idea who's around or where they could possibly be. Furthermore, you're probably missing out on a lot of good loot. If you go to Elektro and only hit the 2 fire-stations, Police station, and the school, your odds of finding a gun are pretty slim.. Where-as if you check all of the row houses and smaller houses, you're practically guaranteed to find an SKS, Mosin, Blaze, or Shotgun.

Also, people who run around focusing completely on looting without ever checking their surroundings.. Kind of goes with the last paragraph and ties into the same mentality that runs around with high FOV.

This was never a problem for me. I can spot people far away easily with maximum fov but I do reduce it if I want to see something in detail, like when I suspect there might be other players activity or when sniping. It will not be a problem if, as you said, scout carefully the area you are about to go in and walk slowly. Plus, its much better for melee (3rd person is easy mode for it) since you have a lot more peripherical view and thus, easier to aim with the animations.

That FoV bar is stupid, they should put the value in numbers, not that abstract bar.

Fact is, this game with lower fov makes me feel sick. I have to put the maximum value or it is unplayable for me man, I cannot stand binoculars view and it makes me wanna puke/headaches. I bet I rekt you even with my fisheye fov lol :D

Btw a bit oftopic but man, your videos are trully awesome! I love to watch them, you make some nice comentaries and are a trully skilled player imo.

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

This was never a problem for me. I can spot people far away easily with maximum fov but I do reduce it if I want to see something in detail, like when I suspect there might be other players activity or when sniping. It will not be a problem if, as you said, scout carefully the area you are about to go in and walk slowly. Plus, its much better for melee (3rd person is easy mode for it) since you have a lot more peripherical view and thus, easier to aim with the animations.

That FoV bar is stupid, they should put the value in numbers, not that abstract bar.

Fact is, this game with lower fov makes me feel sick. I have to put the maximum value or it is unplayable for me man, I cannot stand binoculars view and it makes me wanna puke/headaches. I bet I rekt you even with my fisheye fov lol :D

Btw a bit oftopic but man, your videos are trully awesome! I love to watch them, you make some nice comentaries and are a trully skilled player imo.

First, let me say thank you for the compliment and I am really glad you like my videos. I do appreciate that sentiment.

Second, let me agree that the "FOV BAR" should not be a "BAR" but a value which you can change... This I agree with.

Third, I agree that if you turn your FOV TOO far down, it can cause some disorientation... which is why I play with it around 25% (or about FOV 90ish)

As to the dealing with zombies - Zombies are virtually zero threat for me even in hardcore mode with my FOV set to default. It's less about whatever your FOV is set to and more about just getting accustomed to the timing and angle of your swing and whatever weapon you're using. So, if you're worried about zombies, just practice killing them more and you'll get used to whatever FOV you decide to use.

As far as the maximum FOV goes... It's really just a bad thing to do for yourself. There are a litany of reasons for why your FOV should be "lower", and only one reason why you would crank your FOV up to maximum.. "I can see around me better with FOV up!"

Know what else allows you to see around you? Turning your head.

In my experience, through observation and through conversations with friends and other players whom I consider "good" at DayZ, there are two habits which they all share

1. Obsessively using "free look" to look around.

2. Regular "zooming" (mouse2) to check hills, tree lines, dangerous buildings/potential sniper spots.

If you get in the regular habit of doing these 2 things, then there's literally no reason why you should have your FOV above, say, the middle of the bar. 

I am not saying people with high FOV are horrible shots.

I am not saying people with high FOV cannot be clever, cunning, or sneaky.

I'm saying people who are using maximum (or really high) FOV are nerfing their own ability to spot targets and respond to threats.

I have tons and tons of examples of me being able to spot targets at a GREAT distance because I just happened to see a very small "glimmer" of a human shape moving. This situational awareness, to me, is far more important than any ability to kill zombies or melee targets or to see my immediate vicinity better.

Try lower FOV, and I promise you if you give yourself time to adjust, you will quickly realize how important it is and how much you were setting yourself at a disadvantage by not using it sooner.

• Like 1

People that take risks with players that are "unarmed".

I keep a combat knife on me for a reason. You'd be amazed how many attempted robbers who've ended up getting stabbed in the face trying to handcuff me.

please give us a number ...because i want to be amazed i really do ...but im feeling the number is likely 1 if not 0 ....  i do understand you are somewhat of a cadillac of Dayz player base , a marble statued adonis guilded in arma lore .... but IF truely IF this comment is remotely true could you please post a video of this feat of awsomeness please ... and a single encounter could be staged im thinking a 80s themed soundtrack with a facial stabbing montage  against attempted robbers would ice the top of my then freshly made humble pie i would gladly eat 

People who run through the streets of towns/fields/open areas with 3rd person on and don't even use ALT to look around them or don't even know that exists. The worst thing is when they run backwards to look behind them..

Edited by Sutinen

The upmost biggest mistake people make in DAYZ is thinking this Alpha version is the finished Retail version, there I said it... :)

• Like 2

One of the highest on my list, would be exposing your position by eating/drinking in high traffic areas where many people go looking for trouble, like military bases. I lost count of how many times i will get near one of the buildings at NWAF, and I can hear some dude slamming down drinks.

I like those guys who think every sound of drinking or eating they hear means that there's a player nearby *soundbugs* :D

• Like 1

Groups don't use their numbers effectively:

I've seen it with other people numerous times, but I find myself telling my old co-scrounger many many many many many many many MANY times...

BRO DON"T FUCKING RUN TO MY COVER.

You have the advantage of numbers.  Break up the field before you advance, and cover your respective part.  Use distance between eachother as a defense from both evil eyes which may be watching, and as an early alarm should your friendly get shot. 

Players walking in file across ridges, players walking in file down narrow corridors, players grouping, players moving to cover and betraying the position of their allies AT THAT position deserve a swift death.  Unfortunately, it's the guy who's not doing the wrong thing who gets pegged first (and truth be told i'd shoot the less incompetent players first also).

He responded several times telling me that the whole point of playing together was that it splits the chance of one of us getting shot by half.  Dear god sir.  If your'e standing at my back then yes, only one bullet will hit you or me, but there are others that are sure to follow!  Betraying your numbers and indicating that you are working co-operatively also reduces the element of surprise, and reduces your chance of recovering gear tenfold, should you both be ID'd, one shot and the other be hunted and unable to quickly secure the area and corpse.

All this ignoring that fact that an infinite amount of players operating from the same position are equivalent to one player in that given position, albeit with a few extra sets of weapons.  If you're everywhere then you can see everything and your control is far greater.

SPREAD YOSELF LIKE BUTTER!

People mistakenly using the direct chat button instead of their team speak button. Its pretty funny to see how people react when they realize their blunder. They always seem to have that oh shit look when you pull a pistol or sawn off shotty and then pop them for broadcasting that they intend to rob a kill you soon and need some assistance just in case

him *steamVOIPhidden*- hey there's some guy up here in the police station, i'll go say hello

*creeps in stairs*

me*steamVIOPhidden* - just kill him bro fucking off him!

him *direct* - i can't man i've got nothing to kill him with except this fireaxe

him *steamVOIPhidden* - shit!  that was over direct

*insane laughter from me*

him *direct* - hey man.  Yeah don't worry *nervous laughter* yeah i don'r really have anything down here.  I'm just checking for ammo and food

him *direct* - yeah, nah.  I'm friendly man.

CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK

Edited by q.S Sachiel

People running into towns looking for a fight, and then crying hackers every time they get kill.

Can not believe that noone has mentioned this yet, but that's likely because over 95% of the players make this mistake continuously.

Leaving doors open after looting through them. I cannot tell how many players I've spotted because they leave a trail of open doors and how many times I stayed undetected because I taught myself to close every single door I open. But please, keep making this mistake, will only put me in an advantaged position ;)

• Like 2

It simply has to be the Three Year old Syndrome..

Guy in field get's shot at, panics and goes prone "If I cant see shit past this grass that guy cant see me ....... BANG,DEAD"

Shit! Guilty.

I like those guys who think every sound of drinking or eating they hear means that there's a player nearby *soundbugs* :D

It's not the sound bug where you hear the sound of a fizzy drink being opended, a fence being opended, or ammo being split up in your inventory. That's a bug. It's the actual sound of drinking. It's not only the drink, it's also being stuck in that animation where you are defenseless. Last night i was at NWAF again, I was unarmed and was watching the back of the firestation from the treeline out back. A guy in full military gear shows up and starts bleeding from being hit by a zombie. He sits down to bandage in the middle of a high traffic area, and 2 other players came around the corner. One of them introduced his shotgun to his face.

• Like 1

Players that will talk in game chat and whilst running through high pop areas, they are just asking to be sniper bait

@anders.

yeah that's the other thing. forgetting how much blood you have.

I know you can't tell whether they are grey or not without checking pulse, but i got hit once by a zomie a few towns east of elektro, and had to run all the way there along the coast road spitting out blood until i could find a bandanna to tear up.

I reckon you can go pretty far with only a few holes in you without biting dirt, so take your time on bandaging!

Sniping from well known sniping positions.

Sniping with barrel sticking out of window.

Sniping from rooftops that don't have cover.

Climbing ladders in areas known to be warzones.

Sniping from well known sniping positions.

Sniping with barrel sticking out of window.

Sniping from rooftops that don't have cover.

Climbing ladders in areas known to be warzones.

Yeah people sniping from rooftops always make me facepalm. It's good in theory, the thing is you stick out like a sore thumb up there with the sky behind you. Also, about ladders, i spend like a day chilling out at green mountain, getting easy kills and equipment from shooting people in the ass while they climb up there. Hilarious.

Edited by anderswhk

Can not believe that noone has mentioned this yet, but that's likely because over 95% of the players make this mistake continuously.

Leaving doors open after looting through them. I cannot tell how many players I've spotted because they leave a trail of open doors and how many times I stayed undetected because I taught myself to close every single door I open. But please, keep making this mistake, will only put me in an advantaged position ;)

I was going to say just this.

I have been able to follow people through towns just by the doors they have opened, it also has me on edge when I go somewhere and see it looted so i become more cautious and notice people who continue to run about blindly, aggroing zombies and standing around in the middle of roads looking in car boots. 

In a related note, it irks me watching videos of people who see doors open but don't take care and just charge straight into a building regardless of what may or may not be waiting, in game it doesn't bother me too much because it will often work to my advantage but in videos I watch I get angry at it lol

First, let me say thank you for the compliment and I am really glad you like my videos. I do appreciate that sentiment.

Second, let me agree that the "FOV BAR" should not be a "BAR" but a value which you can change... This I agree with.

Third, I agree that if you turn your FOV TOO far down, it can cause some disorientation... which is why I play with it around 25% (or about FOV 90ish)

As to the dealing with zombies - Zombies are virtually zero threat for me even in hardcore mode with my FOV set to default. It's less about whatever your FOV is set to and more about just getting accustomed to the timing and angle of your swing and whatever weapon you're using. So, if you're worried about zombies, just practice killing them more and you'll get used to whatever FOV you decide to use.

As far as the maximum FOV goes... It's really just a bad thing to do for yourself. There are a litany of reasons for why your FOV should be "lower", and only one reason why you would crank your FOV up to maximum.. "I can see around me better with FOV up!"

Know what else allows you to see around you? Turning your head.

In my experience, through observation and through conversations with friends and other players whom I consider "good" at DayZ, there are two habits which they all share

1. Obsessively using "free look" to look around.

2. Regular "zooming" (mouse2) to check hills, tree lines, dangerous buildings/potential sniper spots.

If you get in the regular habit of doing these 2 things, then there's literally no reason why you should have your FOV above, say, the middle of the bar. 

I am not saying people with high FOV are horrible shots.

I am not saying people with high FOV cannot be clever, cunning, or sneaky.

I'm saying people who are using maximum (or really high) FOV are nerfing their own ability to spot targets and respond to threats.

I have tons and tons of examples of me being able to spot targets at a GREAT distance because I just happened to see a very small "glimmer" of a human shape moving. This situational awareness, to me, is far more important than any ability to kill zombies or melee targets or to see my immediate vicinity better.

Try lower FOV, and I promise you if you give yourself time to adjust, you will quickly realize how important it is and how much you were setting yourself at a disadvantage by not using it sooner.

Well you throwed some nice arguments, I will try to go with a lower FoV and see how it goes man. I'm aware that I'm nerfed at distance, so thats why I double my care on being sneaky and usually try to close with my target, I'm not really a sniper type you see, I'm more of an assault person!

See, i was going to mention that, because it is a huge mistake. But I didn;t say it because it's a good way to scout an area.  Makes me pine for the day when we have door sounds and locks.

Yes, people do this all the time. Even when inside a building, close the door behind you. I often play with a pal and have them watch teh door from outside, from afar, and having that door closed gives an approaching player couple seconds lag time where my buddy can get a shot off, or warn me.

Edited by Abram_
  • Like 1

KOS everyone

Edit:

I seem to make many mistakes according to this topic. I've just chosen to trust that everyone is friendly unless they start to attack me. I can sometimes run blindly through a town or don't care much about other people but most of the time I'm very aware of my surroundings. You KoS guys can try to kill me how much you want but I won't start to change my play style and start to avoid people as much as I can so early in development. Maybe after beta I'll change a bit :P

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

1. Eating or drinking in a poor location.

While thinking they're hidden keep moving so we hear his gun jiggling.

Standing still and trying to meelee a zed head to head (I don't even bother these guys they kill themselves).

Dying in fire stations or airport control towers on the stairs (anyone who uses those stairs is asking to die).

Jumping off water towers trying to die to get a better spawn point and only ending up with broken legs. In a couple sniping sessions I saw 5 people do this in one hour. I didn't even kill them I merely watched them crawl around looking for some other way to die. Served them right for taking the gimp way out!