Ben_uk

Put your hands up = death

I've been held up now on maybe 5 or 6 occasions and every single time after obeying fully it's resulted in death. I think the moral of the story is to basically ignore them and make a run for it.

We appreciate you sharing the results of your field surveys.

• Like 4

Nah, don't run, fight, just go for it, most of the time they don't expect it.  You may get killed anyway but this way they ruin your gear and get squat.  Added bonus is you make them use ammunition which is gonna get harder to find in the coming updates.

• Like 3

That is what surrender is. As soon as you allow another person/party to control your actions the possibility of death is only a whim away. Avoiding capture at all cost is best.

I always fight, chances are that you are going to die anyway

• Like 3

Asking "What button puts my hands up?" is a classic to buy you some time.

• Like 5

What the guys above said, 99% of surrenders end with death.

If you're gonna go down:
Go loud!
Go strong!
Go proud!
  • Like 2

Not always the case, I found two heavily armed guys in a feild today while walking with a friend a little bit west of Berizino.

They aimed their M4's at us and I stopped and put my hands up and started walking in their direction.

I am guessing if I didn't do this, that they would have shot me down had I got closer running at the speed i was running.

Weapon drawn/visible or not.

Well, you don't necessarily need to fight or flight right away, just make sure you're in a covered spot or one is not far away.  Buy some time by asking how to put hands up and such.  Then from that point you can get some leverage with the situation.

Generally speaking though. Most people play with a group. If you start talking to them, then comply and so on, Then go dark, and just stop talking, It's asking to be shot. You're more or less just saying to them " One second, I'm just telling my friends exactly where you are ".. At least that's the way I see it.

One time I raised my hands on accident and could not get them down (server lag, bug ... I don't know). A player I just met who was about to leave too the opportunity to shoot me instead.

So yes - raising your hands will probably end up in you getting killed.

Generally speaking though. Most people play with a group. If you start talking to them, then comply and so on, Then go dark, and just stop talking, It's asking to be shot. You're more or less just saying to them " One second, I'm just telling my friends exactly where you are ".. At least that's the way I see it.

Well last time I got captured by 3 armed guys, started calmly, asking my name where I form. Than they started trying to humiliate me by asking me to call myself a bitch. 

I gave them the finger and punched the nearest one, ended up dead. 

I will never become someone else's play toy just to save a bunch of pixels on my monitor. Death before dishonour. 

• Like 3

If you put your hands up in the air...then you just don't care.

• Like 1

I aways spare the life of those who surrender for me. In fact, if the dude cooperates I will help him with whatever he needs. Never had someone asking me to surrender lol

I see it as a way to not KoS, really like this mechanic

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

Cool bit of trivia related to this: if you get mugged in real life at gunpoint by one assailant, you are more likely to be shot if you comply with their demands than if you try to get the gun away from them.

Cool bit of trivia related to this: if you get mugged in real life at gunpoint by one assailant, you are more likely to be shot if you comply with their demands than if you try to get the gun away from them.

Can you post relevant data? I'd like to see the study.  

Appeasement only makes the aggressor more aggressive. He understands only one language - action. And he respects only one word - force

Don't mistake or misjudge some situations because of bad or unlucky experience though.

While it may be (highly) likely that the group you encounter might be out for no good, them asking you to put your hands up (or you doing it on your own) might save you. Or maybe not. It always depends on who you encounter and who you are. And what all involved do. They might as well be hero players having some security rules. Then again, hero players should be clever and not go (in VOIP): "OH MY GOD PUT YOUR FUCKING GUN DOWN, DROP IT AND SURRENDER AT ONCE OR WE WILL SHOOT OUR 395729572 BULLETS INTO YOU"

A more neutral or friendly approach might give decent heros away, without them trying to bumrush you to "help the shit out of you". If you want to play it safe, try to avoid other groups. But don't complain if you attack them first and get your ass handed to you eventually. If you try to avoid groups you also avoid the dilemma of "are they friendly or hostile" and the risk of interaction.

In short: Sometimes, raising your hands can save you. Sometimes or even more often, it might also be the other way around. You can never know for certain and only act on the info you have right then - with all assumptions or judgements by then.

Edited by Combine

The biggest factor I've found, and seems to correlate on WOBO is that your gear level is the biggest determining factor as to whether you get shot or not when someone gets the drop on you. Too new-spawn or fully geared and you're more likely to have trouble. At least looking mid-geared gives you the best chance at not immediately appearing to be someone that is a potential threat, hacker, or possessing anything worth killing for.

I've never been killed after surrendering, and I've surrendered to at least 5 players/groups so far, including a group of 2 and a group of 6+; I've never been "griefed" after surrendering either, as I have a mic and chat politely. However I've never surrendered if I'm kitted up with full cammo, it's run or fight. (usually run:) )

• Like 2

You are just unlucky but you are correct, finding a real bandit these days is hard. I am always a bandit and if people do exactly as i say they will live, we have disarmed and rearmed loads of people and they have walked away with everything they had except the stuff we wanted, i feel good when both parties live so i prefer that outcome but if you don't listen you only have yourself to blame.

You can normally tell someones intention by the tone of their voice, if you feel like you are going to die anyway you may as well try and listen in my opinion, i have lived on several occasions where i may have died if i did not listen.

What the guys above said, 99% of surrenders end with death.

If you're gonna go down:
Go loud!
Go strong!
Go proud!

This i disagree with, prime example, we held up two people in the supermarket at cherno. 

One had decent gear and one was a fresh spawn, the guy with decent gear listens and talks calmly back to us, we take what we need of him, the fresh spawn tries to punch me out half way through the hold up and gets shot in the head, nothing proud about that just a pathetic waste of a cherno spawn.

Also the guy with gear we leave 5 sks rounds for him and we leave, do you really think the fresh spawn did better in that situation because i do not.

Go loud

Go stupid

Get killed

Waste a decent spawn

Good for you, I would rather lose my good spawn than be handcuffed by some psychos. 

• Like 1