shutupwalter

How was your Day(Z)?

If someone is inside the officers building "quonset?" you can shoot through the walls and hit them. The walls are just thin steelplating and all almost all calibers can shoot through them, even at range.

Good to know... But isn't it true you can't even shoot through glass?

Yes its quite weird. But you can shoot through windows with broken glass.

.58 has been interesting and surprisingly lucky for me. just a few days ago i managed to get my hands on an svd. wasn't in a normal loot spot. from the ruined plate carrier i saw not too far away, someone wasn't as luck as i was. i found a number of weapons stashed on and in a v3s but unfortunately was out of gas. the next day i found a ump with plenty of ammo. Today however, I had a short player encounter. i would've made contact but i was in a (too long) phone call. i went back to the tree line and waited to see if he would look for me. turns out he disconnected his internet. I went and looted where he was, warming up by his abandoned fire and picking up free deer steaks and mags for the aug he had left. I had no real interest in the aug and went about my day. Not long ago i found an akm and have had ammo and attachments for quite some time. I'm sure i'll die soon since i have all this nice stuff but I've had damn good fun so far.

Story time for me.

Spawned as a bambi on the coast, right by electro. (In a private server)

Went looting around the police station, inside the town, didnt really find anything at all, decided to head up towards kamy. Got to kamy, didnt really find much in the way of supplies except for 2 cans of food and a water fountain. Drank up, went over to the police station (Dont worry, the story DOES get better). Found a rak and a mag at a police car, decided to head into the woods. Following the path through the woods, SOMEHOW find myself back at electro, and see a guy running on the coast. Decided to go say hi, didnt really have anything to lose, and I could defend myself, seeing as I had ammo.

Ended up losing the guy, run back to the treeline. Find 2 more guys, one seems REALLY well geared, the other, kinda but not really, a "survivalist character" (bow and arrow, that jazz).

They start talking to me, seem pretty chill. Then the geared guy takes the survivor guy a way to chat with him quickly, says they will be right back. This sets off warning bells in my head, but I stick around, a little more carefully this time.

Then, the geared guy comes back, says he doesnt trust the survivor guy, tried to kill someone early for no reason, so he says we're gonna kill him so I can take his stuff. Im like, sure, why not, he's not trustworthy, allthough I dont trust you 100% either. EIther way, we go looking for him, he disapears. Ah well. We see him flickering through electro, so we chase after him.

All of a sudden, winchester shots start blasting out, flying all around us. We boot it to the houses outside of electro kamy side. As we're running, I see the geared guy just DROP beside me, so I assume he's dead or unconcious. I make it to a wearhouse, trying to figure out where the sniper is. Turns out he's on the other side of the wearhouse. We play a game of back and forth. I dont have much ammo, and its just a rak, so I decide to rush him. He pops out, I take a hit in the leg, but gun him down.

Gear beyond everything that I would need. I take his stuff, go back to the guy, find out he's still alive, and we boot it out of there.

FRESHIES CAN GET GOOD LOOT ON THE COAST. I BELIEVE.

There's quite a few more stories with the geared guy in that day, but this one was long enough :)

Edited by Syphonz

Ran around, saw some people here and there, I even followed someone on the airfield for a bit before he dissapeared. Found some loot left behind after people getting killed. No action, no fun. This patch doesnt do it for me. If I go to the airfield, theres either nobody there or i get shot immediately. If I go to the larger towns, Cherno, elektro, Berezino, theres only Bambis trying to knock you out for gear and nothing else. Mostly theyre empty. I have no problem finding food and gear, only guns are rare but nothing fun happens. I might have to shoot somoone myself If this goes on for much longer :/

Ran around, saw some people here and there, I even followed someone on the airfield for a bit before he dissapeared. Found some loot left behind after people getting killed. No action, no fun. This patch doesnt do it for me. If I go to the airfield, theres either nobody there or i get shot immediately. If I go to the larger towns, Cherno, elektro, Berezino, theres only Bambis trying to knock you out for gear and nothing else. Mostly theyre empty. I have no problem finding food and gear, only guns are rare but nothing fun happens. I might have to shoot somoone myself If this goes on for much longer :/

Confirming friendly fire in our group has skyrocketed since there have been no zombies to shoot and people's travel has been predictable. We were testing shotguns on each other yesterday while walking through Novo (truck wheel is the riot shield of the future).

Been hopper smashing over the last couple days... Like traveling from Calgary to NY-  Hours of boredom followed by a knife fight in a pizzeria.  

• Like 2

Today I had my first real firefight in 0.58 and it was pretty intense. And finally some fun. I had a guy with an Aug adn went from NW airfield to Cherno without seeing a single player. Cherno seemed empty so I figured I'd go on triple yellow and scope the area out. As I was sitting up top I saw some people down by the docks and I was looking at them when I heard movement below. I checked it out and it turned out that three players had logged in at the underpass. As I was watching One killed himself and the other took the loot and went in. I climbed down silently but they noticed me so we had a wild shootout and i killed both. I checked their gear, mostly ruined but got myself a fully kitted M4 instead of the Aug. As I was looting a guy climbs up. I tell him he can take what he wants as I'm logging out but he keeps following me. I realize its probably the guy that killed himself so I try to get a gun out but its broken ofcourse. He picks up a cr75 and shoots but it only has two bullets and he misses both. I run for cover and shout threatening things but still cant get my guns out so Im forced to logout. Nervously I log in to an empty server to see if Im alive and I am! But, Im underneath the triple yellow building. I manage to get out and go to one of the hospital buildings. I relog on the same server I was in and spawn in right next to two guys. They attack me with their axes so I shoot them.

I look at triple yellow and sure enough theres three guys there shooting at people below. I go prone and pick one off. I switch position and try to get at them but it seems that they logged out so i do the same. My hands are shaking afterwards.

Something else funny happened after as i logged in with another character. This ones not so geared, only a shotty. I get to the NW airfield tents and hear voices. As I go nearer I see a group of seven players sitting in a tent having a barbecue. They  dont shoot me right away but I notice that they are grilling human steaks so i decide to bail. I run and hide and they dont follow so I decide to call it a night, probably really lucky that time.

Edited by Killawife
  • Like 2

Apparently, getting killed by two people at the NW airfield tents when all you have is a double shotty and they have automatics is now "getting rekt". I learned this when I got killed by a guy and he told me he was streaming and I went into his twitch where I was the only viewer. He shot first and six shotgun shots to the chest didn't even hit him.

• Like 2

We've had a quiet few days with a couple of low key adventures and even a- get this- friendly interaction at the NWAF.

I will admit something though up front. Yesterday we had 3 guys on- a couple of clan tags and an "other." They were all in there for quite awhile so not the typical hop and drops that we're getting accustomed to.

Anyway I was parked in my usual spot- paranoid a bit about being scoped out by some unseen sniper... But then I got bored of being stressed and my mind started to wander. Finally after what seemed like hours (probably was hours) someone came into view, running along the barracks on the west side of the AF. Minimally geared... he ran into the barracks (which didn't have anything much in it judging by the last few times I've been in there) and then went to the quonset. Nobody else around- so probably the "other." He fiddled around the quonset and I shot at him. Miss. Fuck sakes... how? Shot again as he started running around a la chicken avec la tete coupe and out of sight.

Wait- what did I just do?

Am I now that fucking guy? So bored with what I'm doing (basically nothing) that I'm just taking pot shots at stragglers? I didn't even want to talk about it when the rest of my guys came in since I was so embarrassed. If they'd been around I'd have ID'd the guy as a minimal threat and they would have at least approached him with caution, controlled him and helped him if it was appropriate... but no-

I'm glad I missed. It's not his fault I was bored... that was my own damned fault.

Anyway- if the guy (short form DW) is perusing the forums and recognizes the story... I feel stupid about doing that. Not only did I take an unnecessary shot at someone who was probably one of the few just playing the game the way it's meant to be- I also exposed myself to detection by the clan guys who could have been anywhere. Dumb, dumb move.

So how was my DayZ? It was illuminating to me...   I won't do that shit again no matter how long I've waited. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 3

So how was my DayZ? It was illuminating to me...   I won't do that shit again no matter how long I've waited. 

ENO75, you look like a guy who could help with a moral quandary. What do you think about robbing other people's camps? I never shoot first at people and avoid any risky contacts, but with camps I'm usually like 'man, you should've hidden it better'. But there's this story...

So I play on a private HC server. At a shed I find someone's barrel with stuff in it, not thinking twice I take the most juicy things to my backpack, barrel in my hands and I run, setting a camp not that far away (i.e. less than a kilometer but still in the woods so hidden enough). After a day I notice a huge desync, like every action click is delayed by 20+ seconds. Remembering the wobo video (30 tips for 0.58), I know that somebody else's camp is within 1km. I figure out it's the same guy. I go back to the place I robbed and what would you say? There is a guy inside the shed, weapon drawn. Immediately I run away (I don't want to fight and I guess he'll figure out who the robber is). He shouts something over the mic, but I don't want to go back (one bullet in my repeater, I focused more on leather cloth stuff than weapons). I log out in a safe area.

A few days later (desync is still huge at my camp) I decide to go back. This time I find nothing, but just when I want to withdraw, by complete dumb luck I notice a very well hidden barrel under an evergreen tree. Like, it is really almost invisible, the guy (must be the same) is super unlucky that I found it. And here is when my conundrum starts - what should I do? I left the second barrel intact for now. I have two options - steal the barrel or leave the guy a note, telling him to beat it. Advantages of thievery - I get another barrel, I dismantle the camp which desyncs my first camp. Disadvantages - I feel genuinely sorry for the guy who gets his second barrel stolen and I don't want him to set up yet another camp in this area, oblivious to what is going on.

A friend of mine at the same server has a pen so I can leave a message to the barrel guy. I really want to show him some good will, on the other hand - I already robbed him once so happy with meeting me he may not be. I'd love to take his second barrel, but really what I want the most is him moving his camp away so I have peace and quiet at mine. I'd like to have a chat with him, but I'm afraid the charm of the first impression is not on my side (I have coloured leather clothes on me so he'll know I used a barrel and probably his to boot).

What do you think?

Oh, and stay classy, ENO, I've always liked your approach to the game. :thumbsup: :) Pity you don't play on EU servers.

• Like 2

-snip

What do you think?

I had to think about this one for a bit- a luxury you don't always have when you're in game. Who knows- by now it may already be gone and you've lost your opportunity to apply either course of action. 

My kneejerk reaction was that I'd leave a note saying "Either you move this thing or I will." Then again- in the state my character is in I don't really need the barrel. I definitely wouldn't feel sorry for stealing it... it's a hard lesson but one that helps someone improve over time. 

At the same time if he is near your base area then your stuff is not safe either. Taking it ups the ante against you... leaving you looking over your shoulder every time you head back to your camp. Who knows... you may leave a note and you may return to your camp one day to find a note where your barrel used to be that says "FU." 

Frankly if he thinks its safe there- then he'll go rummage for stuff and put it there... at some point something more valuable that you want might pop up. Technically it's ALREADY your barrel because you know where it is. Assuming he doesn't know you know... him stashing it in an "almost" impossible to see place makes it a hidden asset to both of you.

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 1

Frankly if he thinks its safe there- then he'll go rummage for stuff and put it there... at some point something more valuable that you want might pop up. Technically it's ALREADY your barrel because you know where it is. Assuming he doesn't know you know... him stashing it in an "almost" impossible to see place makes it a hidden asset to both of you.

After much thinking I decided to go for maximum RP potential. I left him some gift food along with a note saying that we can meet and help each other. If he decides to leave me a message, we can talk next week. Of course, he probably already guesses that I'm the guy who robbed him before so quite likely I'm asking for a bullet, but I 'm very curious about how it goes. Getting an ally through such a manner would be a great story to tell later. I'll keep you informed.

So far, this camp desync is a horrible issue but things are going in a great direction. Persistence changes the game a lot and mainly for the better. Good work there, devs!

• Like 2

Just to let you know- we made some modifications to our own camp areas and have virtually eliminated the desync around the camps. I think it was containers in containers and containers in vehicles that was causing it. Suffice to say we have two very large camps going and I haven't heard a complaint about it since we saw the fixes discussed. 

That's definitely the higher road than I would have gone and I'm usually a pretty nice guy already. I mean, if he decides to work together than his lost barrel becomes his (also) again anyway so it's win win for him if he chooses the equally high road. 

Seeing your play style does help keep me grounded since I'll always have a reason to reflect on the fact that the lone guy I'm shooting while we're hopper hunting could just be a dude running around rummaging looking for food for someone ELSE's barrels. 

Talk about a class act!

After much thinking I decided to go for maximum RP potential. I left him some gift food along with a note saying that we can meet and help each other. If he decides to leave me a message, we can talk next week. Of course, he probably already guesses that I'm the guy who robbed him before so quite likely I'm asking for a bullet, but I 'm very curious about how it goes. Getting an ally through such a manner would be a great story to tell later. I'll keep you informed.

So far, this camp desync is a horrible issue but things are going in a great direction. Persistence changes the game a lot and mainly for the better. Good work there, devs!

• Like 1

Just to let you know- we made some modifications to our own camp areas and have virtually eliminated the desync around the camps. I think it was containers in containers and containers in vehicles that was causing it. Suffice to say we have two very large camps going and I haven't heard a complaint about it since we saw the fixes discussed. 

Thanks a lot for that tip! I decided to clean my messy camp. I dumped all the containers somewhere else, all empty (I used to cherish everything that gave extra slots, like cases and pots on stoves). Sometimes it worked perfectly, otherwise not so much, I'm not sure why. We'll see if it helps in the long run.

As for that barrel guy - thanks for encouragement, I just figured that an interesting RP adventure is worth more than an extra barrel. Maybe it's because I'm lonely, usually I tend to avoid other players as I'm super reluctant to shoot unprovoked, and when provoked it's often too late (i.e. the other guy gets to draw first). So I just try to keep an eye out there and hone my "see and not be seen" skills.

Anyhow, the pumpkin slices I left near his barrel (which had been full) are gone, but my message and the barrel itself are there, so I figure the food just despawned. Very weird, today I found a worm I dug out 4 days ago (!) when making a plot. Well, I'll pop in tomorrow or later and see what happened to the guy. I really hope he'll do more than just vanish straight away.

Sometimes it puzzles me how persistence works. Today I was looking for a vehicle and it was more a wild goose chase than your average heli hunt. On a private server I checked 40+ spawn points as per dayzdb, all to no avail. And here I thought that with plugs and batteries necessary, most cars will be left untouched.

Aaand, the hotfix wipe erased both mine and his camp, depriving me of the chance for the contact. The timing could not be worse.

Aaand, the hotfix wipe erased both mine and his camp, depriving me of the chance for the contact. The timing could not be worse.

Well, it could in a way. Yesterday evening I deliberately left my perfectly kitted M4, SVD, mags, pristine attachments,and a whole range of other things like fishing hooks, seeds, that I wanted to use to explore the game mechanics in my barrels. I had a Blaze and 20 rounds on me - fancied a little hunting trip.

Now that's all I have.

• Like 1

Today's lesson from DayZ, even if a group of people are already fighting they will join forces to take out a geared soldier with an SvD. Almost soiled myself so sorry for the heavy breathing and foul language.. Was originally trying to track down ONE guy with a mosin. Everything went wrong, even got stuck in a scoped lean when i was trying to hip fire and took two axe wounds to the neck to get started. Less than pro :P

Clip Here

Edited by KenoSkir88

Kinda interesting day, I ran into cherno with a lowgeared character and see three people in the distance, they immediately come running so I wait in a garage for them and when they arrive I TALK to them, like normal people do, they brandish melee weapons. I run to triple yellow and climb up. I wait at the top and when a guy comes up I pop him in the head with a trumpet but nothing happens. I shoot him again but theres not even blood splatter even though hes standing two metres in front of me. I swap to 1911 chambered and pop off a round and hes hit and bleeding. I run around for a bit waiting for him to keel over but another guy arrives so Im forced to engage. It quickly becomes difficult so I go to climb down but miss the ladder and fall to my death hundreds of metres below.

I log in with another character and he in Gorka. Decently geared but no clipped weapons. I see a guy in the police station and say Hello, like a normal person do. He pulls out an axe. I run off, thinking to avoid dying but he follows me so i hide and hit him with a hatchet when he arrives. we run around for a bit and he pulls out a magnum and shoots a few rounds that miss. I begin to smell victory when a second guy appears. He shoots from a chambered Cr Rifle but misses. He then joins in with his axe. In the melee battle that follow guy No 1 actually hits his friend and kills him. He then falls over from blood loss after a bit. I try to tie him up but the cuffs dont work, it seems he respawns so I loot and move on.

I log in whith another character outside Kamy whose well-geared with M4 and stuff. Almost right away I spot a guy runing along the coastline with an AK out. I follow him but he dissappears. I spot another guy on the dome of the police station but he also dissappear. I hear someone shooting a mosin in the hills outside Kamy and go to investigate but find nothing. I go to Elektro and theres LOTS of shooting. I try to find the culprits and notice they are in the red house by the water fountain. As im scoping it out I hear movement and a guy show up behind me with a shotgun. He shoots, I shoot and we both fall over with broken legs. I shoot him as hes down and crawl into cover. I manage to bandage and fix a splint and check the guy. Most stuff is ruined so I hightail it out of there. I check the red house for a bit but its quiet so I call it a night.

Good times.

Edited by Killawife
  • Like 3

Died five times this night. One unlucky, one fair and three pure douchbaggery.

Unluckily I spawned up on triple yellow in cherno and a guy with a gun spawned in front of me at the exact same time. As I had no guns I tried knocking him out with my axe but he sprayed me down.

I went in with my best geared character in Elektro and as I was leaving someone fires at me with a winchester. I go to cover and pretty soon a guy appears trying to take me down. I make my way down the industrial side when a Bambi appears. he wants me to kill him but I tell him Im busy and ofcourse he tries to knock me out. As Im avoiding him the first guy appears and hits me with a shotgun so Im forced to kill the bambi and go into a shed and hide. As Im hiding in there bandaging someone closes the door then shoots through it. As hes reloading i run out and sprays him down with my M4. I check him and he doesnt have a winchester so I go for cover. As Im leaving Im shot at by winchester guy again so I run in a large circle and go to cherno. In cherno theres plenty of shooting going on and I spot a guy on triple yellow with a winchester. I go to the construction side but the guy up top spots me and shoots. I fire at him and it goes on for a bit til Im hit and dies. Quite fairly.

I respawn in Berezino. I think about killing myself to get a cherno spawn and get my gear but I decide not to. I gear up for a bit and just as Im starting to feel positive again I hear shooting and someone calling a "rekt" guy a motherfucker. Soon enough the guy appears so i instantly put my hands up, or I intend to but pull out my magnum instead, I put it down and raise my hands but is shot down for no real reason.

I respawn in cherno and run to my corpse. someone is already there prone in a corner. i tell him I dont have anything and is shot in the legs. I tell him hes a coward as Im crawling away and I'm shot dead. It didnt look like the guy had my gear though as he was holding a longhorn and I was killed by something silent. Not really sure what happened there.

I respawn in cherno gain but a bit further away so i make it back to my corpse again. I meet a guy with nothing but an M4 but he leaves me alone. I go to my corpse again and the weirdness continues. My body is gone but another body lies about where I fell with some ruined gear on it. I run to triple yellow and climb up. As I'm almost at the top I'm shot dead.

Edited by Killawife
  • Like 4

Killa... I have to say you are one patient dude.

• Like 2

Yes. Yes I am.

Yesterday i had an interesting encounter. I went to the NW airfield armed with nothing. I had guns and ammo but nothing that fit together. Luckily I found some ammo for my cr rifle and a magnum so i would be able to defend myself. i didnt have a magazine for the cr but a scope so when i found an AK I dropped it but kept the scope. As I had just made my way past the hangars I see a guy checking them out. I call to him and hail, Like a normal person do, when I notice he has a friend, they scream "Get down" like some crazy american cops so I bolt. I hide in a tree and wait and soon one walks past. Im thinking about shooting him with my magnum but decide not to and he scurries away without noticing me. I go back and get my cr rifle and load it and go to scope out the airfield. its raining so vision i slow so i make it towards the other side when someone shoots with an AK. I run and hide and as im moving through the trees I meet another player so im forced to drop my rifle to get the magnum out. he shoots but misses. i hide in a tree again. I see him moving away. I wait for a bit and try to get to my rifle but I'm shot dead by a Blaze.

I had another little incident at the airfield with another character the other day. I come to the tents from the north and find a lot of ruined gear in the sandbag compund. As Im in it I hear shooting so i make my way towards it. I see a guy running from a corpse and he goes up to the Observation tower.  Someone is sniping from the other side but as this guy doesnt get shot I guess they are in cahoots. When he climbs down I pop him easily. I wait for a bit for a reaction then try to get to his corpse but Im shot at and hit. I run away and make into the western forest. As Im passing by the deer stand there I notice a guy inside it, no two guys, no three guys! I tell them not to shoot me and raise my hands. They emerge and two mroe emerge, one in full ghillie. The others all have the same gear, blackskull balaclavas and silenced Augs. I only have an SKS so cant do a lot against these. I tell them about my adventures and that im leaving the airfield. They are very slow to reply but in the end say that they cant trust me and kills me. Rotten bastards.

This encounter is the reason why I didnt give up when i met the two guys in the encounter above adn I propbably wont for a while. So unnessecary to kill someone that clearly isnt hostile when you are in superior numbers and firepower.

• Like 2

The Fisherman of Skalisty Island: Prologue

To keep my promise given in general discussion thread, I decided to be a fisherman in Skalisty in one of the popular EU 50 player private servers.

As you all know Skalisty is one of the suckiests place to respawn. Very limited chances to find food or clothes. Back in 0.55 days I once died there due to starvation, which was probably quickened by my idea to dig worms and eat them, as only thing I could find from the island was a shovel. Well, to be honest I did find a orange boonie hat too, so it was not all bad. Anyway, then I puked few times which I guess made my hunger even worse. After swimming to the mainland I then fell unconscious to the ground, woke up, fell unsconscious again, and finally died. 

So, I have been thinking the best way to help fresh people is to give them good fresh fish. Also, maybe some clothes, and even matches so they can make a fire to dry up when they get to mainland. Personally, I need some gear too for my own survival, and maybe a hand gun or a sawed-off Izh 43 or something like that for my protection, just in case if some newcomer comes up with an idea that "Hey me smart boy me take that raincoat and orange hat from the friendly fisherman [insert an idiotically smiling monkey face smiley here with a shining light bulb above it]". I also will need some way to storage stuff too to keep gear on me limited, to make myself less tempting target for robbery plus then some stuff will survive, if that idiotically smiling monkeyface newborn manages to kill me somehow. After all it's well possible, the other day I was invited to a bum fight after I just respawned with some food as a price for winning, and I knocked the other guy down with I think one or two hits with just fists. I'm not planning to keep the storage on the island, so don't get any ideas! )))

And of course, I will need all possible fishing gear for the best optimized fishing performance! On Skalisty itself I can fish sardines and mackerels from the sea, but there are no ponds on the island, so carp is not there. But the cool thing is that if I swim over to mainland, over Skalisty Proliv or Skalisty Strait, there's a group of ponds on the other side, immediately west from Krutoy Cap. I'm not sure if I can fish in those, as I remember at least earlier not all ponds were there for fishing for some reason or another - but anyways I will take scavenging tours, so at least I can do rod fishing then. 

What I need to gather for all this fishing: water bottles, knife, metal wire, netting, shovel and rope. Or guts. Maybe it's gonna be guts.

To wear: Definitely a rain coat and a boonie hat, and wellies. Without proper clothing the professional fishing just can't happen.

There's one thing I'd like to figure it out by the time when I get the operation running. I am not sure yet how to identify myself then, is it like Skalistyan fisherman or Skalistenese fisherman or what? Any suggestions?

Anyway, let the salty and smelly adventure begin!

• Like 1

Having essentially given up on my Quest For the M4 (part 32), the second law of DayZ came into full effect when I popped down to Myshkino to find a Kashtan for my AK101 last night. Stuck my head round the door of the officer tent just on the off-chance.

Well, hello there....

• Like 1