huf757

Not really a survival game

I love playing dayz and I will continue to play it as I have since it first came out as a Mod.  I hear players talk about immersion.  If this were purely a survival game then why have loot respawn? Loot would never respawn in real life?  Set servers with a set amount of loot and then make the players have to live off the land for survival (hunting for food and ponds for water). I understand the need for loot to keep people actively playing the game and engaged.  Maybe instead of a 4 hour restart make them have 24 hour or several days restarts. Thus making people have to truely carefully plan out their travels and such.  With the way it has always been with easy food , fluids and gun access it just promotes a FPS style game with a few survival aspects to it. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Your opinion is correct. As you said, DayZ is indeed "a FPS style game with a few survival aspects to it."

But I do believe that is precisely what makes this game so popular. The PvP crowd will ALWAYS be a bigger crowd than the PvE crowd....always. People crave action. Slowly dehydrating until you either find water or die may be cool (no pun intended) for a while, but eventually it would become numbingly boring. 

• Like 1

Its literally a respawn shooter. Massive map, sure. No gear on respawn true. But its a shooter, that has respawn. 

COD would be the same game, if it had Zombies on one massive map, slightly more players and you started with no gear and had to find it first. 

The only reason people get confused is because they play the game wrong. Its not about the Zombies, its all about the other players. 

• Like 3

Ehh, I can only hope the devs take it that direction. I had the exact same thoughts, having a restart that respawns all the loot only like once a day, or a week even. You would more likely see players in badly damaged clothes than pristine.. refilling their waterbottles instead of drinking sodas.. actually having to fight for survival.

• Like 2

Its literally a respawn shooter. Massive map, sure. No gear on respawn true. But its a shooter, that has respawn. 

COD would be the same game, if it had Zombies on one massive map, slightly more players and you started with no gear and had to find it first. 

The only reason people get confused is because they play the game wrong. Its not about the Zombies, its all about the other players. 

It is only like this now. It seems the devs are focused on eventually creating some kind of virtual survival experience. The weather effects, hunting, fishing, cooking and gathering are only the first steps.

Edited by scriptfactory

Zombies as for now do not require team work of anykind to be beaten, also many of us including me get very bored if only goal is to survive in the woods. Too easy. It is a pvp game because it is an epic pvp game. I hope it would have more survival stuff in it but i certainly hope pvp will never dissapear.

I might add also that i would prefer more civilian weapons over military ones. Less spray and pray, more making each bullet count. Shotgun and a bolt action rifle should play main role as weapon imo.

...aaaaaand look at the topics started days before the .49 hits stable.

• Like 2

The OP is assuming, incorrectly, that loot will always respawn on server restart. Also, with coming weather(.49) + stamina(???) I think we will see a slowing down of the ridiculous amount of KoS/pvp. Nothing will ever eliminate it, but it should slow down a bit.

The OP is assuming, incorrectly, that loot will always respawn on server restart. Also, with coming weather(.49) + stamina(???) I think we will see a slowing down of the ridiculous amount of KoS/pvp. Nothing will ever eliminate it, but it should slow down a bit.

If by "slow it down" you mean it'll take 5 minutes for Mr.X to run to Berezino to punch the first guy he sees to death instead of 2, I agree.

If by "slow it down" you mean it'll take 5 minutes for Mr.X to run to Berezino to punch the first guy he sees to death instead of 2, I agree.

No, i think slowing it down means much more that it will take Mr.X 15 minutes to run to Berezino, while he would starve after 10 minutes and if he finds food, he will arrive sick and low on health when he doesn't care about himself, like looking for shelter in a storm, making arriving at the intendet location a real achievement, and meeting other players along the way really has an impact on either if you succeed or not, in both good and bad ways.

Edited by ChainReactor

No one cares.

Glad to see that you contribute oh-so-much to the discussion, boyo....

As for the OP, you are half-right. Day Z isn't much of a survival game yet. With the upcoming .49 update, PvE with finally start to catch up to PvP