Taiphoz

SOLVE Prone in Grass Please..

I think this is probably a situation every single player has experienced at some point and have simple taken to accepting it without calling it into question, which is a shame because the reality of it and the irony of it deserves further attention.

I am talking about the issue with Render Distance on Grass and the fact that a sniper or player who's prone in grass but just beyond the games grass draw distance looks like this.

sniper-in-the-grass.jpg

When in fact they should look like this

camouflaged-sniper.jpg

Not only does the grass draw distance make something so logical fail but it actually turns it a complete 180 because what actually happens is that normally some one prone in grass can and often does find that they cant see 5 feet in front of them, meanwhile the guy 100 meter's away is looking at you prone and thinking "HAHAHA Idiot", even tho in reality it makes perfect sense for the guy who's prone in grass to be almost impossible to see even without a ghilile suit.

So I have a suggestion how to fix this and it's fairly simple, why not give players who are prone in grass a scroll option called "HIDE" when they do this the game puts a small bush in front of them, something the player who's hiding can see through but that hides them from the player just a few hundred meters away, this has to be better than just looking at some guy laying down in a field and its something a real person would do, snap a branch off a nearby bush and hide behind it.

So I have a suggestion how to fix this and it's fairly simple, why not give players who are prone in grass a scroll option called "HIDE" when they do this the game puts a small bush in front of them, something the player who's hiding can see through but that hides them from the player just a few hundred meters away, this has to be better than just looking at some guy laying down in a field and its something a real person would do, snap a branch off a nearby bush and hide behind it.

true, everything you said. I think that the problem would simply be fixed by making the grass taller. in a real field/pasture, grass is sometimes several feet tall. very easy to hide in.

true, everything you said. I think that the problem would simply be fixed by making the grass taller. in a real field/pasture, grass is sometimes several feet tall. very easy to hide in.

This is an oat field a farmer wanted some bears gone from since they are real pests to the farmers here. The height of the crops is tall enough that making a noise will allow you to see only the bears heads as they peek out to figure out what that was. It'd be nice to see something like this.

uQnZb2fl.jpg

I have thought about this often and something I came to the conclusion of is that if your avatar only rendered what was above the grass in your immediate area then your avatar would not render when you are below the top of the grass line. So if the grass doesn't render at distance and you are prone in the grass neither do you until you stand up and then only the part of you that is actually above the grass would render. It might look a little funny however if you see half a person running across a field at distance.

on a lighter note.... I rather like the idea that my ass doesn't look big when the grass doesn't render as indicated by your first picture (sorry I couldn't resist) and what the hell is she shooting? those shell casings are huge, I'm guessing a .50 of some sort.

This is a problem that has persisted throughout all bohemia games, Unfortunately this is all client side as most pc cannot handle rendering all the grass within a players field of view.

Every game with large maps has this problem, and so for there is no good solution, because if you force same draw distance on all players, those with weaker PCs will have low fps. 

The game seems to have a feature where "the ground rises" over greater distances. Sadly this suffers from two issues:

• rise is not high enough
  • it just cuts off leaving a sharp line

So over longer distances there is only a part of the players visible but it sticks out nonetheless. Maybe it can be tackled by keeping the current "ground rise" but also adding a "fuzzy zone" above it that helps covering the silhouette. Prone players would find themselves in the lower half of this zone so they might be very hard to spot unless they are wearing bright clothes and/or are moving.

• Like 1

I had a similar idea. You could find some sort of camouflaged blanket that you have to craft and you crawl under and doesn't make you improbable to see but not as easy. The only disadvantage I would like to add to this is you can't move around with the blanket over your head or it will fall off and go straight back into your backpack. Let me know what you think of this idea. It's more realistic than a bush automatically spawning right in front of you.

How about the player sinks into the grass, which I believe already happens.

But also the player profile can appear broken up as it would by taller grass like a player but with transparent lines running through him.

This profile break will make the shape of a person much harder to identify.

If they're not low to the ground this wouldn't happen at all, and if they're not in foliage this wouldn't happen either.

This makes those lying down or crouching in forest or tall grass harder to see, and those running along a road easy to see by comparison.

This breaks two things eyes use to see both contrast and profile.

Shape of a person less identifiable and transparent lines make them blend perfectly with the ground terrain making them less contrasting to the terrain.

Edited by AP_Norris

It would be great, but impossible to add.

The grass ingame exist, but over the distance it disappear.

If you crawl few metres from someone you will not see him, on the contrary the grass will be no more displayed over 30-50 metres.

...And because of that you can see players over hundreds of metres far away.

It's a problem that exists also in other games, such as Skyrim, but that game is designed for other purposes and different players.

First they had to fix the lagg issues from the game.

Then in my opinion, if it won't be possible to add more grass over the distance because of CPU and GPU loads, i think that the best idea would be to make players crawling they look like shadows that move....Like the Predator when it is invisible: You don't see it, but when you look more carefully you see a shadow that is hiding on the ground.

this issue was in a game from 2004 called JOINT OPERATIONS.....In my opinion is the best solution, that won't load too much the computer and will allow you to camuflage

• Like 1

It would be great, but impossible to add.

The grass ingame exist, but over the distance it disappear.

If you crawl few metres from someone you will not see him, on the contrary the grass will be no more displayed over 30-50 metres.

...And because of that you can see players over hundreds of metres far away.

It's a problem that exists also in other games, such as Skyrim, but that game is designed for other purposes and different players.

First they had to fix the lagg issues from the game.

Then in my opinion, if it won't be possible to add more grass over the distance because of CPU and GPU loads, i think that the best idea would be to make players crawling they look like shadows that move....Like the Predator when it is invisible: You don't see it, but when you look more carefully you see a shadow that is hiding on the ground.

this issue was in a game from 2004 called JOINT OPERATIONS.....In my opinion is the best solution, that won't load too much the computer and will allow you to camuflage

I've been seeing a lot of stuff about the renderer being changed, hopefully this allows a great amount of optimisation that BI games don't usually see.