Sign in to follow this  
supermarco

Rework of cities and places

Hello guys,

I was wondering if there is somewhere in the plan of the developpement of Dayz the rework of the cities ? (and the road too). 

I'm asking this because so far for now the different city looks like kind of pristine cities... (maybe not pristine, but at least clean), the road as shining and they looks like they were build a week ago, and same for the differents building and street.

I mean, this is suppose to be an apocalyptic zombie game no ?

I have seen the twitter of Senshi saying that the cities will be 'upgrade' after the new one being done. Are they planning to add more content in it ? or really rework them ?

I don't know for how long this area has been touch by the outbreak but nature is growing really if you don't take care of that.

Do you think we can have places with my trees inside the city, bush,m grass on the road etc ? I would like to see more ruin houses, destroyed building (the plane in cherno is just awesome !).

Some example :

jersey-city-abandoned-rail-terminal.jpg

Dystopia_abandoned_city_abandon_2000x135

The different airfield should look more like this :

FordIs_HI_05_Rw22.jpg

I know its a lot to ask , but since its the 'apocalypse' , why not showing it inside the game, because the ambiance so far is more a wasteland like than a zombie game..

• Like 3

depends how long it's supposed to be since everything fell apart, thats a goof few years of growth there, even for bindweed and I've been finding fresh oranges on tables.

Edited by Spank86

Even looking at towns like Chernaya Polana and comparing them to the likes of Elektro, a town that has had little work done to it since the mod, you can see the new town looks a lot more lifelike and believable, my main nag about the map is that some old buildings just don't fit in with the new ones [firestations] and some new ones need an interior expansion [Hospitals]

• Like 1

Nothing looks pristine to me.  All the windows are always broken, the paints always peeling, there's blood stains etc.  

Also, the airfield sorta does look like that, there's bushes all over the place.

Maybe your settings are too low or something?

• Like 1

1. there are plans to do more work on the existing cities once the newer ones are finished.

2. Most of the old towns have been worked over to some extent.

3. You probably wont ever see what you want to as far as the pics you provided. Its a performance issue, and lately they already said that the buildings and interiors will be reduced in details to help aid in performance during the change over in the rendering engine. 

4. Go to Zelenogorsk.. that town is done pretty well as far as being overgrown and run down. One of my favorite for atmosphere. 

They'd have to change a lot about the game to make it consistent with that aesthetic.

You're not going to be finding as much loot. If you think about it, even after a few months you're gonna start having a hard time finding stuff, after long enough for nature to reclaim everything, you're going to be on the verge of starvation every day unless you get lucky or are good at hunting. Most likely all the guns will be gone as people will raid all the common places such as military bases.

The gameplay as things stand is consistent with a world that is only days after a catastrophe.

OP,

H1Z1 is doing this very thing. They're building their game from the start to look like an aged apocalypse. Iow, they're making it look like the apoc happened a long time ago. A while back, they posted pictures on their website of a city they designed. The roads were cracked, bldgs were crumbling, there was overgrowth everywhere...very similar to what you're suggesting. They also designed a supermarket with A LOT of age to it, as if it had been there for years. It had a much different look to it than DayZ's supermarket which looks quite pristine besides a few knocked over shelves. 

Unlike H1Z1, DayZ has made their game from the start to look more like the apoc just occurred. If I were you, I wouldn't expect there to be any plans in the near future for the devs to add age. This would require completely revamping all their models and textures. Like H1Z1, they've chosen their foundational look and feel, and have chosen to run with it. Going back now would just take up too much of their time. They're already rebuilding so much in the game as it is. 

• Like 1

I dont think they will go to the extent of Last of us, but the game could use with some apocalyptic feel. Inside of buildings and rusted cars, definetly shows years have passed, everything else is merely months.

• Like 2

I dont think they will go to the extent of Last of us, but the game could use with some apocalyptic feel. Inside of buildings and rusted cars, definetly shows years have passed, everything else is merely months.

Ah the inside of buildings and the rusted cars are what you would expect to find in a run down low economic ex soviet country ( that hasnt changed much apart from blood added from how it was represented in arma 2 ya know when there were no zombies or apoc, just a war torn low economic country.

Its not ment to be months and months after the apoc its set right after the apoc how can i say this 1) the zeds are infected not undead and as such they would have started to die out/starve long after apoc when there is nothing left to eat people wise.

2) its called DayZ the Z is not for Zombie its actually for Zero as in day zero, the first day...

Thats not to say they shouldnt add more atmosphere to there cities and towns it just should be more in the lines of more blood ( which again is still visible on walls floors if it was months after the blood would have gone dark dark brown not red) broken furniture houses with the doors busted in etc etc the sort of stuff that makes you feel like the shit went down not just everyone vanished..

• Like 1

It would br nice to have lots of vegetation spilling out of buildings etc. Though as said we dont really know the outbreak timeframe. Probably not too long by the looks of certain things. Weird how there are lots of rusted cars but the roads don't have a single weed.

• Like 1

The idea of walking down the street of a town and finding wild edible plants growing is a welcome prospect.

• Like 1

I must say also that my picture were only for demonstration, I'm not expecting to have old tress grown in the cities. But to make it look more like it was an outbreak and it was the panic. I know in some cities its the case, but looking are some, I'm talking about all the others :)

[EDIT] Also I would like to know if someone has the lore of Dayz, because I'm looking for it for a long time now..

Edited by SuperMarco

It would br nice to have lots of vegetation spilling out of buildings etc. Though as said we dont really know the outbreak timeframe. Probably not too long by the looks of certain things. Weird how there are lots of rusted cars but the roads don't have a single weed.

I can contest against that. I've seen grass growing through the roads before.

...even if it's texture clipping it's just a placeholder, right :D ?

Edit: Also that post did come off more snarky than I thought it would, I meant it in a playful/sarcastic tone than anything worse :v

Edited by ManBearus

Nothing looks pristine to me.  All the windows are always broken, the paints always peeling, there's blood stains etc.  

Also, the airfield sorta does look like that, there's bushes all over the place.

Maybe your settings are too low or something?

When I say pristine, it would be more like worn (using dayz word ^^), ok the glasses are broken and there is blood, but I would have seen more corpse on the floor, more burned houses, more car destroyed, I would have seen chaos in cities ! 

I'm not low in setting no worries ^^.

Unlike H1Z1, DayZ has made their game from the start to look more like the apoc just occurred. If I were you, I wouldn't expect there to be any plans in the near future for the devs to add age. This would require completely revamping all their models and textures. Like H1Z1, they've chosen their foundational look and feel, and have chosen to run with it. Going back now would just take up too much of their time. They're already rebuilding so much in the game as it is. 

I'm not expecting to have that much trees and plants everywhere, but at least looks like more to an outbreak, so far it looks like that a riot took place, that's it..

Its not ment to be months and months after the apoc its set right after the apoc how can i say this 1) the zeds are infected not undead and as such they would have started to die out/starve long after apoc when there is nothing left to eat people wise.

2) its called DayZ the Z is not for Zombie its actually for Zero as in day zero, the first day...

Thats not to say they shouldnt add more atmosphere to there cities and towns it just should be more in the lines of more blood ( which again is still visible on walls floors if it was months after the blood would have gone dark dark brown not red) broken furniture houses with the doors busted in etc etc the sort of stuff that makes you feel like the shit went down not just everyone vanished..

If the Z of DayZ mean Day Zero, then , we should see more chaotic cities, most of the house would be burn, as I said, corpses everywhere burned, cities with full of broken car, and not only a couple sometimes.

I mean, it doesn't feel like its the day zero of a zombie apocalypse (Not like I know how its looks like in real :P ), but the atmosphere doesn't seems like it..

The place looks like more empty like the population vanished (like the 4400 ahah), with some blood somewhere and some rekt car.

Don't take my post as bad as it sound, its most likely the feeling that I have when I play Dayz.. 

• Like 1

I like the fact that this game is placed right after the outbreak. It is a savage disaster that shows it's face by leaving behind ruined buildings and smoldering crash sites. Yet, it left some things untouched. Things that didn't have time to perish. Things that remind you what was lost. Life you had before. Gas generator in the yard still running. Gas can knocked over. Half eaten meal in the dining room. Radio still turned on, broadcasting static noise. Clothes layed out neatly on the bed. Broken balcony railing. Huge blood stain on the pavement. No body. Smudged footsteps going away from the place where the person landed.

These details bring everlasting fear of near-end..something big happend but you survived. Will it happen again? What is next? Am I in hell? Feels real. And the smell. Never smelled that before outside the kitchen and bad restaurants. Like burned...well..meat..burned meat...and guts..no, this IS hell. On earth.

Thats feeling I want. Mod had it. SA not so much.

• Like 1