Roguehunter

September Rant Topic.

2u736zk.jpg

"I can WATCH it - but YET it SUCXX!!! ArrrrrrrggggGhGrmlblbgrrrrrblFUUUKK!!!!!!!!" 

...and the moral of the story:

If you can't stand the working process - just go do something else for a while. Plain and simple...

I understand.

The fundamental issue here is that everyone (willingly) parted with their cash for a game that's very, very glitched/hacked/laggy/buggy.

Umm, NO. Everyone parted with their cash for an ALPHA. A game in development. And was warned about it everywhere. Nice try Mookie.

• Like 1

Umm, NO. Everyone parted with their cash for an ALPHA. A game in development. And was warned about it everywhere. Nice try Mookie.

Nice try at what? Disagreeing with you? Why the caps? Why the snide tone?

Oh well, QED I guess.

Edited by Mookie

Some people need to grasp the simple fact that not all Early Access games are created equal. There are good Alpha's, decent Alpha's, and bad Alpha's.

Nice try at what? Disagreeing with you? Why the caps? Why the snide tone?

Oh well, QED I guess.

Nice try of trying to spin the ALPHA into a game in your first paragraph, It's not a game. It's an ALPHA. A game being developed. Why the caps? I don't know maybe because you keep calling it a game. Because in a game people expect a lot less bugs and glitches and because in an ALPHA it's a product being developed into a game. I figure if I scream (it's screaming in computerese to use all caps, isn't it?) you might realize and call it what it always states it is. An ALPHA. Why the snide tone? Well you are defending the cancer to this community aren't you?

No. I'm criticising precisely the kind of behaviour you seem to be displaying here. A kind of weird ranting based on some kind of conspiracy theory about, er, 'cancer'. If that's defined as people being unhappy about the state of what we have and saying so, then I defend their right to do so.

And if you want to pick semantics about 'game' vs 'alpha', perhaps 'product' is the best compromise?

• Like 2

Halven, on 01 Sept 2014 - 6:45 PM, said:

The most annoying bug there is, have died once to many from it :(

But yes, the development of this game has been anything but fast.

The speed, or lack of speed in developing this game would not be nearly so annoying if we all didn't know that Rocket and Team collected a SHIT TON of money by "alpha-releasing" this game and running to the bank. 

You know Mookie, the main problem really are the expectations of the players, espacially when it comes to the pace of the development. Let's be honest, most of us have no idea about game development. Most don't see the software and how it evolves, most only see their own gaming experience. Some are pleased with it, some are not, and the latter often come here for a rant because "they payed".

First and foremost there are the players that really don't understand what an early access alpha is. They think they payed a certain ammount of cash to get a game in exchange that they can enjoy. That's not the fact. If you buy into early access, you either can't wait for the release or you really want to help with development. Naturally, the first get frustrated much faster than the latter. And it gets kinda annoying when those people start demanding stuff from the devs, especially when its ignorant.

Why ignorant, you ask? Let me give you an example. Someone just posted another "OMG fix the frecking zombies before you add any other piece of clothing ASAP!!!!" thread just today, while he's totally not aware what "fixing them zombies" means compared to simple additions like items. Also, many of those people only come to this forums just for their rant without taking effort in informing themselves by reading the status reports and thus being aware about the actual progress. They do not know about something like a navmesh. They dont know that this system got hard-coded into the engine, replacing the old, scripted AI navigation completely. Ofc they can't be aware how much work is behind that if they dont care in first place. They dont ask where a problem comes from, they only complain about the problem. Thats not helpful, not in Alpha. Alpha asks you for actual help, not for your personal demands.

TL;DR: People who have no idea why and what they payed for can be exhausting when they start to demand what they think they payed for.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 9

Thanks for that reply Chain. I do appreciate all those things, just as I and most of us here appreciate all the dev communication.

There is an essential tension about Early Access, about paying for an Alpha, and those who are not used to it (yes, despite all the warnings...) will rant - some of them more articulately than others. But, while I appreciate how exhausting it must be, when they do I think a bit more consideration needs to be shown.

The speed, or lack of speed in developing this game would not be nearly so annoying if we all didn't know that Rocket and Team collected a SHIT TON of money by "alpha-releasing" this game and running to the bank. 

And yet games that make 10x as much money with AAA development teams take years to be released. Even that isn't a guarantee of a perfect game. Remember BF4?

• Like 1

Mookie. Have you even read the first post of this thread titled "September Rant"? That's defensible to you? That's constructive and helpful? I don't mind reading criticism about the game. It's not mine and I have no personal stake in it other than playing a game I really enjoy and knowing it will be much better. 

That criticism I have no problem with. It's the constant, in every thread, in every discussion about the game that some players have a need to constantly berate the progress of the Alpha product with nothing constructive. The calling the game a POS, or the devs are a bunch of imbeciles, the devs don't know how to make a game, Rocket is an idiot and needs to go, BI made all their money so now they don't give a crap about finishing this piece of junk, get rid of the zombies, and on and on and on. Call it what you want but this "product" is an Alpha and advertised and sold as such. It is rude the way some people choose to voice their "expert" opinion and then say they are just doing it to help the devs know about a bug. That in itself is insulting by the very fact that there is a bug tracker informing the devs of anything astray. Also it's like saying to an overweight, unsightly woman that she is a fat, ugly bitch and that they are only saying that to help her out. That's laughable. So if you choose to defend this ignorant, immature person and not call a spade a spade, so be it. I will never be silent on calling out this word vomit and calling it what it is.

edited for levity: After all I'm Vice President of P.A.B.B.  That is, People Against Bad Behavior. 

Edited by RAM-bo4250
  • Like 4

Quite interesting how so many white knights just like to pretend that there is abolutely no reason to complain rather than trying to understand what is wrong.

"Alpha, alpha, disclaimer! Nanana! I can't hear you!"

Lovely attitude.

• Like 4

Quite interesting how so many white knights just like to pretend that there is abolutely no reason to complain rather than trying to understand what is wrong.

Lovely attitude.

Many here have drunk deeply of the Kool-Aid and logic now escapes them.

• Like 1

Lovely attitude.

Quite interesting how so many uneducated people like to preach that the game is absolutely broken and complain rather then trying to understand and using google to search what the word "alpha" means.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 2

Quite interesting how so many uneducated people like to preach that the game is absolutely broken and complain rather then trying to understand and using google to search what the word "alpha" means.

Don't put the  words in my mouth. It's not absolutely broken but it has some serious issues that concern me.

The really interesting thing, though, is how some people still feel that "Alpha" is ultimate answer for every question.

• Like 2

Tone down the logical fallacies. He didn't say the game was absolutely broken. He just said the game has some serious problems and this is a fact. Just because a game is in alpha doesn't mean serious issues should be ignored... -_-

Edited by scriptfactory
  • Like 1

Just because a game is in alpha doesn't mean serious issues should be ignored... -_-

And what some people fail to understand is that serious, big issues are not ignored just because they don't get fixed within two or three updates. They simply take longer, because they are big issues. We even had two really major changes over the last couple of patches - the step from simple item respawn to central loot economy along with item persistance and the step from scripted AI navigation to hard-coded navmesh, and still some people claim the devs would ignore big issues. Of course such major improvements are not working flawless from the start, but you have to test them ingame first to see where you need to work on.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 5

If you don't like the testing crap in the Alpha testing stages...you can always can back later and have an "October" rant..... :P

• Like 1

The really interesting thing, though, is how some people still feel that "Alpha" is ultimate answer for every question.

sir, with all due respect it is the ONLY answer for the current state of the game. of course that will change when the state of the game is "beta". if none of this is fixed at release then you have reason to be upset until then enjoy your status as a tester and don't forget your responsibility to the community to report any bugs you find - in the bug reports section of course, because posting them here is pointless.

as a side note: for all we know "alpha" is the answer to the universe, I challenge you to prove otherwise.

• Like 8

as a side note: for all we know "alpha" is the answer to the universe, I challenge you to prove otherwise.

challange accepted !

aaaannnndddd......

*badum badum*

its obviously "42"

*sidenote, WHY are there no towels in DayZ ? Even "Project Zomboid" has them and they are used to towel oneself dry :D *

• Like 1

*sidenote, WHY are there no towels in DayZ ? Even "Project Zomboid" has them and they are used to towel oneself dry :D *

I have often wondered this myself. I mean everyone knows a towel is more useful than duct tape ;)

edit: curious thing about dayz duct tape is that its crazy useful in the real world and does absolutely nothing in the game. some day....

Edited by Elle
  • Like 1

sir, with all due respect it is the ONLY answer for the current state of the game. of course that will change when the state of the game is "beta". if none of this is fixed at release then you have reason to be upset until then enjoy your status as a tester and don't forget your responsibility to the community to report any bugs you find - in the bug reports section of course, because posting them here is pointless.

My mistake I thought testing was about reporting bugs and giving our opinions. 

How come, whenever someone says that he likes something about SA nobody shouts: "Alpha! The thing you like might be changed by the time SA gets released."

Double standards?

oh really?  I thought you could at least restrain people with DT, not that i'd tried but the tooltip...

oh the tooltips!  Duct-tape people to poles/walls/floors/cars, or just their hands and legs together :'(

why oh why

My mistake I thought testing was about reporting bugs and giving our opinions. 

How come, whenever someone says that he likes something about SA nobody shouts: "Alpha! The thing you like might be changed by the time SA gets released."

Double standards?

Really?  you went there?... This is really clutching at straws now. I pray this is some form of sarcasm, dripping with mirth.

please observe comment #128 sir.  You will find that fine user's advice useful.

Edit:wrote some text, figured i'd google the thing you see whenever you load DayZ (if that is, you do actually play the game).  text removed.

400px-Dayzstandaloneeawarning.jpgit would seems this message appears despite whether people like the game and features or not.  Inconvenient i know!

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

edit: curious thing about dayz duct tape is that its crazy useful in the real world and does absolutely nothing in the game. some day....

Indeed. one should be able to create coupled mags for rifles with ducttape. AND we should be able to put ductape on Players mouth so their ingame voice in muffled.

• Like 3

And what some people fail to understand is that serious, big issues are not ignored just because they don't get fixed within two or three updates. They simply take longer, because they are big issues. We even had two really major changes over the last couple of patches - the step from simple item respawn to central loot economy along with item persistance and the step from scripted AI navigation to hard-coded navmesh, and still some people claim the devs would ignore big issues. Of course such major improvements are not working flawless from the start, but you have to test them ingame first to see where you need to work on.

So in 9 months its OK that not one update addressed ambient sounds, desync, awkward controls, hot keys that dont respond, or incredible levels of hacking? I know alpha means you generally add stuff..... But there are such bad core problems that as a courtesy or from an ounce of pride............. Could they not have addressed any of this? Navmesh has been our only taste of addressing a core problem and it is not preventing zombies from clipping through all solid objects. I would have preferred they stop zombies from hitting us after they are dead or while they are facing wrong direction. Hell, delete them until they are not so broken.

Edited by hothtimeblues
  • Like 1