Sign in to follow this  
Latesleeper

Booby Trap your Gear?

Yours:  Safe and Reasonable to carry around

Mine:  Hurts people

It's a boy!  You have my beans sir.  Causing maximum pain to other people without a scratch on me, you can forget the chocolate and roses.

Delving deep into suggestion territory, but you could always go the far end of the spectrum, and have a dead-man's switch.  Pull-string attached to a pulley, and when you open your hands to 'surrender' or 'put down your weapon' the other party is rather displeased that they chose to rob you.  Just don't go eating/climbing ladders/reloading/spending time alone.  But i don't see them putting this in :P lest people complain DayZ becomes a 'terrorist simulator'.

just spray disinfectant on half your food. don't mix it up tho...

First death in SA was to a disinfectant bottle.  It really doesn't help get rid of rotten zuchini, and despite the label no - it's not suitable for all surfaces.

I actually just had quite the experience in the giant hotel thing in Novo... Two players had absolutely loaded the entire building with, for lack of a better word, stuff.  I went up, had a quick conversation with them, decided the world would be better off without them, and killed them.  Shortly after that, THREE other people stormed the building and it made me REALLY want at least a bear trap...  or a claymore mine...

TBH i'd say he's probably not making shit up, or that at least it's somewhat possible.  morphine bit i don't know about but..

The whole point of employing landmines is to channel the enemy, and the mines are 'supposed' to be broadcasted to enemy and friendly alike (with locations of each individual mine recorded for later disposal, which is rare).

The enemy is supposed to see the minefield, and redirect around it.  This allows you to redirect enemies the long way, slowing logistics or staggering their entry to the fight, or channel them into areas where you intend to ambush and destroy them. Sure you can try navigating or deactivating the field, but you run the risk of detonation or being shot at in the process (and it's really a bad idea to do this one).

Having a tent out of the way, but visible enough with a blatantly obvious access route and a possibly more subtle access route that is not trapped would mean 9/10 times people take the obvious route and break a leg.

Not really too hard to figure out, and not too improbable either.  Area of approach could be cut down by trees (which were harder to walk through in the mod) or large rocks which further reduce the obvious and easy access that most people would take, because it appears easy.  If it's out in the middle of a field, then no 2 traps won't work, but if they're butted up against a rock wall with trees and rock outcrops about the place well...

Edited by q.S Sachiel

really wouldn't mind some snares/beartraps though.

or punji pits :D

Same here and for me the bottom line is that any fool that approaches a 'honey pot' with his head up his ass deserves some pain. 

couple of grenades, some electrical tape and clear line fishing wire please ! oh and a pair of pliers

• Like 1

Topic cleaned.

Stay on Topic, your bickering will only get you into trouble.

That martyrdom bullcrap from COD4 was one of the things that really started to turn me off the COD series, that and it's blatant consoleified features and maps.

I hope such a thing doesn't come into dayz, it's just cheap and not needed.

Edited by Ben_uk

There are PLENTY of ppl that are willing to go through these extra steps to make sure if you get a head shot your not getting the gear they worked hours to obtain. Nothing wrong with a little bit of Russian Roulette as far as getting lucky or being to greedy and getting blown to bits.

Plenty of people in game, it's just not a feasible RL situation, it's a survival horror MMO, not a shooter. The risk of completely unrealistic booby traps would take looting of high end geared corpses out of the game effectively.

Plenty of people in game, it's just not a feasible RL situation, it's a survival horror MMO, not a shooter. The risk of completely unrealistic booby traps would take looting of high end geared corpses out of the game effectively.

Why don't you tell those ppl in Vietnam how unrealistic booby traps were? Im sure that would have changed the whole outlook of the war if they were thinking like you on this lol. I brought this example up because allot of booby traps were used during that war itself.

Look the POINT IS it SHOULD  be an option available for ppl to use. Why limit the idea of this being something viable in a sandbox based game with free limits?

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

Booby trapping your gear whilst on you ??? well thats just daft. Who would booby trap themselves apart say a suicide bomber, but they're not right in the head anyway to begin with. On the other hand boody trapping your stash is....useful.

• Like 1

Booby trapping your gear whilst on you ??? well thats just daft. Who would booby trap themselves apart say a suicide bomber, but they're not right in the head anyway to begin with. On the other hand boody trapping your stash is....useful.

Idk ask some one why they would have a cyanide tooth implant put in lol. Thats pretty much about the same thing minus the explosion.

But i agree for this other part though being able to protect your high end gear like a sniper rifle when you have to be away SHOULD be a thing latter on.

• Like 1

Well if they decide to implement the silly idea of "booby trapping" gear, they better have an option to examine gear prior to opening a backpack and give us the tools to disarm these "booby traps" :rolleyes:  

I have nothing to say......(clean up of post) - DG

Care to elaborate?

Edited by DemonGroover

Why don't you tell those ppl in Vietnam how unrealistic booby traps were? Im sure that would have changed the whole outlook of the war if they were thinking like you on this lol. I brought this example up because allot of booby traps were used during that war itself.

Look the POINT IS it SHOULD  be an option available for ppl to use. Why limit the idea of this being something viable in a sandbox based game with free limits?

Right, so lets point out some fundamental differences between the Vietnam war and DayZ. In the Vietnam war, the Viet Cong, and North Vietnamese army aimed to inflict massive casualties on the US forces in order to turn US public opinion against the war and forcing the US out. Booby traps made sense as the US were far better equipped and enjoyed air superiority everywhere that US ground forces were deployed making it suicidal to confront them with conventional warfare, it was pretty basic guerilla warfare. DayZ is a survival horror MMO, the survivors aim to survive in a world infested with hostile infected after society has broken down, there are no Americans trying to eliminate them with airpower, armour, artillery etc. There is no war to win. The survivors aren't aiming to inflict casualties on an army they're aiming to survive. Booby trapping of tents and stashes makes a lot of sense and would be a great feature, booby trapping your backpack and trouser pockets does not and would not be a great feature.

I should also point out Vietnam and DayZ have no relation whatsoever, going by your last point why not also add in F16s and 105mm light guns, this is a sandbox with 'free limits' after all.

Yeah, I wouldn't want boobytrapping a la "martyrdom."

Definitely would be in full support of setting up boobytraps around your campsite, though.

It's a gamble. Deter folks from entering, or, lose your stuff when the boobytrap goes off. That or you could also have non-explosive and/or non-lethal boobytraps.

going by your last point why not also add in F16s and 105mm light guns, this is a sandbox with 'free limits' after all.

Im actually all for that. Would be something different besides a chopper however i think the guns should be non functional.

Im also for the idea of tanks without cannon turrets. Maybe a LMG rail function and thats it.

All of these would and should be rare vehicles that take multiple parts upon completion to obtain. An F16 should take you about a year at best to build because the parts are so flipping rare. And even if you were to get an F16 functional there should be a higher risk for it to explode ether at start up or mid flight lol.

Edited by Deathlove

Yeah, I wouldn't want boobytrapping a la "martyrdom."

Definitely would be in full support of setting up boobytraps around your campsite, though.

It's a gamble. Deter folks from entering, or, lose your stuff when the boobytrap goes off. That or you could also have non-explosive and/or non-lethal boobytraps.

Im cool with this as well. Just functional and interesting options for traps would be great.

Lets take that idea even further and allow you to booby trap doors. Even at higher risk loot spots. LOL would be trolling but think about it. It would keep ppl wary even if there is no one around in a high loot zone.

I also think there should be trap kits or something to counter stuff like this to balance things out.

Edited by Deathlove

Lets take that idea even further and allow you to booby trap doors. Even at higher risk loot spots. LOL would be trolling but think about it. It would keep ppl wary even if there is no one around in a high loot zone.

I also think there should be trap kits or something to counter stuff like this to balance things out.

So long as there's appropriate counters to it (i.e. wire cutters/snips for wire traps, some sort of disarming mechanism for pressure traps, etc.) then I'm all for it.

Definitely would have people going a bit slower into high-value loot locations and campsites, rather than the "YAAAAAH DON'T SHOOT AT ME" sprints that we do now.

• Like 1

Definitely would have people going a bit slower into high-value loot locations and campsites, rather than the "YAAAAAH DON'T SHOOT AT ME" sprints that we do now.

Yeah im sure you and me are both getting quite tired of that tactic.

There needs to be more uses for those pliers to. Currently there are no functional tool uses for it yet which is making me sad.

Im actually all for that. Would be something different besides a chopper however i think the guns should be non functional.

Im also for the idea of tanks without cannon turrets. Maybe a LMG rail function and thats it.

All of these would and should be rare vehicles that take multiple parts upon completion to obtain. An F16 should take you about a year at best to build because the parts are so flipping rare. And even if you were to get an F16 functional there should be a higher risk for it to explode ether at start up or mid flight lol.

Survivors who don't know how to hold guns properly able to fly F16s?

Tanks without cannon turrets could well be a thing sort of, a BRDM with a pintle mounted PKM for example [no turret] or even a T34-85 without armament would be fun to see, applique armour bolted on to vehicles like cars etc would be cool too.

I'm just going to point out here that people are arguing about two different things.

1) Booby trapping.laying a defensive 'minefield' of sorts around your camp.

2) Placing an armed bomb inside your own backpack so that it blows up when opened.

There has to be some sort of mine, a la the beartrap from DayZmod. I would do it in real life.

There does NOT need to be a mechanic for rigging your own clothes THAT YOU ARE WEARING with explosives. The boobytraps used in Vietnam were placed on routes/objects that an enemy was likely to touch. The modern term for this is IED. The VC/NVA didn't run around rigged to blow.

• Like 1

I'm just going to point out here that people are arguing about two different things.

1) Booby trapping.laying a defensive 'minefield' of sorts around your camp.

2) Placing an armed bomb inside your own backpack so that it blows up when opened.

There has to be some sort of mine, a la the beartrap from DayZmod. I would do it in real life.

There does NOT need to be a mechanic for rigging your own clothes THAT YOU ARE WEARING with explosives. The boobytraps used in Vietnam were placed on routes/objects that an enemy was likely to touch. The modern term for this is IED. The VC/NVA didn't run around rigged to blow.

Id be cool with bear traps, mines and even brush spike traps and crap like that.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

Survivors who don't know how to hold guns properly able to fly F16s?

Tanks without cannon turrets could well be a thing sort of, a BRDM with a pintle mounted PKM for example [no turret] or even a T34-85 without armament would be fun to see, applique armour bolted on to vehicles like cars etc would be cool too.

But they really shouldn't be able to fly military choppers ether if its the kind of chopper im thinking of there putting in.

• Like 2

Id be cool with bear traps, mines and even brush spike traps and crap like that.

I agree. And from my perspective as one that didn't need to kill anyone to acquire  the best weapons and equipment and plenty of ammo. I strongly favor the ability to place an anti tamper devise on your pack.  It would be swell to know that the slinking parasitic dog that shot you in the back will be killed and your gear ruined when he/she attempts to loot your corpse

condition 1) Any devise you can place and set can also be detected and defeated.

condition 2) If you have activated an anti tamper devise on your pack you must first deactivate it before accessing anything in it.

Edited by Xbow