Sign in to follow this  
Latesleeper

Booby Trap your Gear?

Wouldn't that be fun?  I think it should take up a couple of valuable slots, and as soon as someone opens your backpack, kablooey.  Maybe it's not a 100% sure kill, but it'll absolutely wreck a player (and anyone unlucky enough to stand be standing close).  Just knowing that everything went FUBAR while I'm staring at my black screen would probably bring a smile to my face.

I suppose with persistence enabled you could do it for gear stashed safely somewhere.  You come back to find a dude laying facedown and ruined/damaged gear strewn about.  

• Like 1

They've already said booby trapping of gear is a no go, it's completely indiscriminate and overpowered for want of a better word. Land mines and beartraps that reset on server wipe could be possible though.

• Like 1

That's like martyrdom from COD. If they put that in the game I would probably stop playing, unfortunately.

edit: I would not stop playing but I would be angry about it.

Edited by Ether mR

really wouldn't mind some snares/beartraps though.

or punji pits :D

im in the same boat, espically once we start seeing basing building and barricading added.

inb4, "BRB checking my punji pit for dead people. GD IT xswagxyolox360noscopex i told you to stay away from mah shit!"

• Like 1

They've already said booby trapping of gear is a no go, it's completely indiscriminate and overpowered for want of a better word. Land mines and beartraps that reset on server wipe could be possible though.

I'm not sure how indiscriminate it is, if someone's rifling through my gear it's likely I'm dead or I left it unattended somewhere for safe keeping.

As for overpowered, some of those springy snakes or a cloud of confetti wasn't what I had in mind.  I was looking for something more....off putting.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how indiscriminate it is, if someone's rifling through my gear it's likely I'm dead or I left it unattended somewhere for safe keeping.

As for overpowered, some of those springy snakes or a cloud of confetti wasn't what I had in mind.  I was looking for something more....off putting.

Running around with a live explosive in your backpack?

kay.

I'd reccomend you poisoning your food, but then how do you eat it?

could be good if you wanted to leave your pack behind somewhere and enter a town and needed to secure the pack, get your grenade and run out a wire or something, but from day to day i'd call you crazy if you had it live.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

kay.

could be good if you wanted to leave your pack behind somewhere and enter a town and needed to secure the pack, get your grenade and run out a wire or something, but from day to day i'd call you crazy if you had it live

Sure, running around with live explosives...also loaded firearms with the safety off, sharp knives, a pitchfork, cans of ammunition, a small propane tank, and a flashbang.

You infer that it's crazy talk, who wants to run around with live explosives.  Then you recommend poisoning your own food or using a hand grenade and some wire.  Is that a grenade I've been carrying with me?

I'm half joking with the thread.  But, I think creating a scenario that puts the whammy on another player who maybe KOS'd you for your gear is fun.  If they wanted to add in a small percentage that carrying such a device would detonate if shot, I'd probably play that game.  To be fair though, the same should apply to a few other items then.

Side note:  Have you ever snapped the heads of a bunch of strike anywhere matches and stuffed them in a tennis ball and gave it a good throw against a hard surface?

• Like 1

kay.

could be good if you wanted to leave your pack behind somewhere and enter a town and needed to secure the pack, get your grenade and run out a wire or something, but from day to day i'd call you crazy if you had it live.

I really like the idea of tripwire booby traps, but yeah, also agree, they would have to disappear on server reset so they didnt last more than 6 or so hours. I can see myself running in the middle of the woods and setting off a mine someone placed there 3 weeks ago lol.

• Like 1

I really like the idea of tripwire booby traps, but yeah, also agree, they would have to disappear on server reset so they didnt last more than 6 or so hours. I can see myself running in the middle of the woods and setting off a mine someone placed there 3 weeks ago lol.

Although, imagine your pleasant surprise when you're trying to run away from a zombie and it just goes to bits.

Although, now consider this as a booby trap.  It's not an explosive, just an alarm loud enough to attract attention from anything/anyone wandering nearby.  Better hurry up looting that gear, friends coming for dinner soon.

• Like 1

In the mod every tent sight I had also had multiple bear traps surrounding them so unless you knew the correct path you would have a broken leg. I also kept morphine close by but in the stash spots so they were hidden from view.

Bear traps persisted through resets.

Anyone have the link to the development post about them not ever having booby traps?

Rope + Can = improvised tripwire alarm for doors, that is what I'd like to see. And if you feel frisky, rope + can + bullets (gunpowder) + nails or something for small anti-personnel IED tripwire. Give campers a bone! But seriously, would make looting those cities interesting...need pliers to deactivate (ala  toolking + barb wire from mod) ?

• Like 1

id like to take wire and empty cans and tie them in door ways so while your looting you can know if someone walks in the door just close the door set the trap if they open the door you hear tin cans banging against each other.

• Like 1

Why not? 

People, unfortunately, have to live with the unexploded remnants of WW2. Landmines are a problem in Africa, etc.

It would add a great deal of "tactical"-esque feeling to the game.

Imagine coming up to an open field, and yo can see a clan's base o\on the other side. AS you run across the field, you notice little piles of dirt......... BOOOM! NO legs for you!

• Like 2

Sure, running around with live explosives...also loaded firearms with the safety off, sharp knives, a pitchfork, cans of ammunition, a small propane tank, and a flashbang.

You infer that it's crazy talk, who wants to run around with live explosives.  Then you recommend poisoning your own food or using a hand grenade and some wire.  Is that a grenade I've been carrying with me?

I'm half joking with the thread.  But, I think creating a scenario that puts the whammy on another player who maybe KOS'd you for your gear is fun.  If they wanted to add in a small percentage that carrying such a device would detonate if shot, I'd probably play that game.  To be fair though, the same should apply to a few other items then.

Side note:  Have you ever snapped the heads of a bunch of strike anywhere matches and stuffed them in a tennis ball and gave it a good throw against a hard surface?

I think you've gone and cut the blue wire, sir. There's a big difference between carrying a grenade with the pin and tape on, and having a tensioned wire or something attached to your pack should someone open it while you run around with it on your back.  People do run with grenades, just quietly (though i'll concede that they're usually on your person or in a suitable container, and not in a pack where other items may strip the tape and/or pull the pin by accident, leaving you with a conveniently sized viewing hole.

If i carry a knife I don't hold the sharp bit, it's either in a case/wrap, or if in a pack i don't have the tip or edge pointing towards my back. I like my fingers/spine how they are.

Yes, moving with a loaded weapon is rule number 2 on the naughty list.  You'll notice though that the business end is never pointed at your character, and if you use imagination you could imagine that a safety is engaged. 

You probably shouldn't be running with a pitchfork, but i don't see how that's anywhere near having a rigged explosive in your pack. 

Carrying ammunition isn't particularly dangerous, although they have been sitting in the sun for god knows how long every time i find them.

And though i wouldn't want a pony bottle of LPG in my bag you'd be surprised how difficult it is to penetrate or damage them, and despite hollywood's training for young kids they don't burst into flames if someone says boo.  you're more likely to get high pressure injection injuries/cold burns from it 'exploding' into you if it gets shot, but i'd wager the bullet's got to go through you first for this kind of thing to happen.

Yeah i know you're joking, and my poisoned food suggestion came with the notice that if you do this, you've wrecked the food for yourself which is counter productive.  I get your easyness, and that it's a game but yeah, running around with rigged explosives and compromised safety in your backpack.  Laughable.  Emplaced traps/pits/alarms i can see however. May give more use to shovels and pliers.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

I think you've gone and cut the blue wire, sir. There's a big difference between carrying a grenade with the pin and tape on, and having a tensioned wire or something attached to your pack should someone open it while you run around with it on your back.  People do run with grenades, just quietly (though i'll concede that they're usually on your person or in a suitable container, and not in a pack where other items may strip the tape and/or pull the pin by accident, leaving you with a conveniently sized viewing hole.

If i carry a knife I don't hold the sharp bit, it's either in a case/wrap, or if in a pack i don't have the tip or edge pointing towards my back. I like my fingers/spine how they are.

Yes, moving with a loaded weapon is rule number 2 on the naughty list.  You'll notice though that the business end is never pointed at your character, and if you use imagination you could imagine that a safety is engaged. 

You probably shouldn't be running with a pitchfork, but i don't see how that's anywhere near having a rigged explosive in your pack. 

Carrying ammunition isn't particularly dangerous, although they have been sitting in the sun for god knows how long every time i find them.

And though i wouldn't want a pony bottle of LPG in my bag you'd be surprised how difficult it is to penetrate or damage them, and despite hollywood's training for young kids they don't burst into flames if someone says boo.  you're more likely to get high pressure injection injuries/cold burns from it 'exploding' into you if it gets shot, but i'd wager the bullet's got to go through you first for this kind of thing to happen.

Yeah i know you're joking, and my poisoned food suggestion came with the notice that if you do this, you've wrecked the food for yourself which is counter productive.  I get your easyness, and that it's a game but yeah, running around with rigged explosives and compromised safety in your backpack.  Laughable.  Emplaced traps/pits/alarms i can see however. May give more use to shovels and pliers.

Okay, we're on the same page.  There's stuff in the game neither of us would do in real life.  That being said, I'm sure there's a way to booby trap your gear in a way that satisfies both of our concerns.

Yours:  Safe and Reasonable to carry around

Mine:  Hurts people

Side note:  you mentioned ammunition baking in the sun.   Unless discharged inside of a barrel (providing a tightly enclosed place with only one way to exist) ammunition doesn't do much else.  You can heat it to very high temperatures, and while it may go off, without the barrel the casing usually splits and there's really no velocity.  Put a 9mm round in a vice and smack the primer, you'll be underwhelmed.

• Like 2

Rope + Can = improvised tripwire alarm for doors, that is what I'd like to see. And if you feel frisky, rope + can + bullets (gunpowder) + nails or something for small anti-personnel IED tripwire. Give campers a bone! But seriously, would make looting those cities interesting...need pliers to deactivate (ala  toolking + barb wire from mod) ?

Good point on the pliers.  

• Like 1

How is it overpowered? Just add some kind of rare booby trap detection kit when you check a body before proceeding to take things out. And lets say in order to craft the booby trap on your body it would require a grenade and some rope. Grenades are already hard enough to find as is so i see it being no problem. That and it would take up a significant amount of space just to put it in your pack.

We already can pretty much destroy all the persons gear just by spraying there whole body so i dont see why this is an issue. It would add another layer of survival phobia to the game.

• Like 1

How is it overpowered? Just add some kind of rare booby trap detection kit when you check a body before proceeding to take things out. And lets say in order to craft the booby trap on your body it would require a grenade and some rope. Grenades are already hard enough to find as is so i see it being no problem. That and it would take up a significant amount of space just to put it in your pack.

We already can pretty much destroy all the persons gear just by spraying there whole body so i dont see why this is an issue. It would add another layer of survival phobia to the game.

People in a situation like DayZ IRL aren't going to be worried about people getting their gear if they're killed, no one would roam around with live explosives and the like in their pack ready to go off if tampered with, it makes no sense, and is massively detrimental to overall gameplay quality if someone gets the better of you and kills you, thats that, deal with it, new life, new survivor.  As they said a while ago, indiscriminate booby trapping of loot is a no go.

To be cliche and annoying, this isn't CoD, it's not about kills.

just spray disinfectant on half your food. don't mix it up tho...

• Like 1

People in a situation like DayZ IRL aren't going to be worried about people getting their gear if they're killed, no one would roam around with live explosives and the like in their pack ready to go off if tampered with, it makes no sense, and is massively detrimental to overall gameplay quality if someone gets the better of you and kills you, thats that, deal with it, new life, new survivor.  As they said a while ago, indiscriminate booby trapping of loot is a no go.

To be cliche and annoying, this isn't CoD, it's not about kills.

Playing the COD card is rather cliche in itself sometimes.

Yes they won thats cool and all but there should always be some kind of hidden danger regardless. Stop thinking so one dimensional with this. It means you have to be smart. Maybe not everyone will have a trap but your better off safe than blown up. Think of it as a final saftey measure in survival to try and not get your limbs blown off.

There are PLENTY of ppl that are willing to go through these extra steps to make sure if you get a head shot your not getting the gear they worked hours to obtain. Nothing wrong with a little bit of Russian Roulette as far as getting lucky or being to greedy and getting blown to bits.

• Like 1

It could be interesting to be able to booby trap a persistent storage in some way. On the other hand there should be a way to check if a tent is booby trapped and tools should be available to neutralize them, maybe at the expense of the procedure taking a lot of time and not being able to cancel your action which would make the "thief" vulnerable to counter attacks / zombies. Maybe even needing a partner to do this in a safe way.

• Like 1

I'd be fine with booby trapping provided that when you booby trapped yourself it would be entirely possible to forget and blow yourself to kingdom come while trying to retrieve an apple.

Edited by Pandema
  • Like 1

It could be interesting to be able to booby trap a persistent storage in some way. On the other hand there should be a way to check if a tent is booby trapped and tools should be available to neutralize them, maybe at the expense of the procedure taking a lot of time and not being able to cancel your action which would make the "thief" vulnerable to counter attacks / zombies. Maybe even needing a partner to do this in a safe way.

I'd be fine with booby trapping provided that when you booby trapped yourself it would be entirely possible to forget and blow yourself to kingdom come while trying to retrieve an apple.

Thats why i think if they do booby traps they should include some kind of trap kit to negate things like that. Just think of it as another survival element. SURE its brutal but you think some one with a HIGH END sniper gun is going to keep it in a storage container WITHOUT a trap? Hell no they wouldn't if they were smart.