Sign in to follow this  
Tourist (DayZ)

Any option to not lose everything every few minutes?

I'm not lying. I literally ran around that long without finding anything.  I know it's hard to believe that not everyone can log into a game and immediately find their way around. Some people don't already know which way to run to get what they need to get; and without a map to know where i was in relation to anything else, i was doubly screwed. I'm happy that you were able to just drop in and get what you needed. I wasn't so fortunate.  I really resent being called a liar. You weren't there watching me run around looking for ANYTHING beyond trees and a few empty buildings.

Then why don't you bear the pain of trial and error. Most of us died an excess of 50 times before we got the hang of it. But none of us bitched about the obvious difficulty and hardship. So please, don't spam threads. if you are raging, dont make an announcement about it, its really not needed. K, thx

• Like 1

So, if we get gear, food, water, materials, etc., just to lose it all over and over again, what's the point? How does progression work?

First and foremost, DayZ isn't a game for everyone, so it's totally okay when you finally realise that you can't get much fun out of it. It's no problem, just move on to something else. You're not forced to have fun with this game.

One mentioned here in the thread that it's not about having things, but rather about getting things. It's not only your character that makes progress, it's also you, the player. With every new character, you have new goals, new experiences, new stuff you want to try out. Do you have a certain goal or a certain mindset while gearing up or do you only want to have "all the good stuff?" DayZ is a sandbox game. There is no storyline, no plot you follow, especially not in Alpha. Many people choose the easy mindset of "spawn - gear up - pvp" but thats not much fun (imo), DayZ sucks as a PVP game - i mean, theres not even a reward system for killing people. The game doesnt give you a goal to reach. It's up to you to do this. And the way to this goal is the most fun, because unexpected stuff happens almost everytime.

When you spawn fresh, surviving thirst, hunger and zombies are the biggest issues. Once you managed this basic stuff, use your imagination. Chernarus is open to you. Your character is what you make out of him. And he will die. Thats for sure.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 1

Try to survive the best you can. When i started 10 days ago i told myself "WTF did i paid for this?". But i kept trying, there's no tutorial which i understand can be a problem but honestly i haven't played much games that are so unforgiving and that's were the reward is, if you survive a few more hours you're the man. There's a lot of stuff to learn on the Internet about this game and it will keep you trying. Go watch videos on youtube, you'll see more seasoned players, you'll learn a lot and eventually you will feel the need to not give up and give the game a second chance.

Well, i'm a gatherer, base builder kind of guy. I prefer to only kill zombies that are between me and where i'm going and i loathe open, full loot pvp and will avoid it at all costs (which is why i only hang out on 0/40 servers).  So, when i'm trying to gather supplies and looking for a place to set up camp, only to die because, A. I can't find any supplies, or B. I die to a zombie and lose EVERYTHING, i get a little miffed.

Edited by Tourist

It is an enormously frustrating game to play, and there is something pathologically masochistic about it. But, as you find that you get a bit better at knowing what to do, you may find yourself hopelessly addicted to it. My current char has been alive for just under a week. He's about as well kitted as I could dream of. Much of that stuff I had to run far and take risks to get.

I understand some of your irritation. But if you've only been alive a 'few minutes', you have little to lose. Imagine how much worse that's gonna be when you've been alive for a while and have cool gear. When my guy dies (and he'll probably die to a new glitch involving being attacked by a tree or something), I will probably fall backwards off my chair I'll be so pissed off. 

And a couple of days later I'll be playing again.

So, use the dayzdb map to find relatively low risk loot locations like police stations. Loot them a bit. Eventually you will find a gun and some ammo, and a backback. Then either go military by taking the risks of looting military sites and getting into firefights, or go survivor and make yourself a nice fishing rod...or something in between.

If you want to meet up in game for some assistance, I'd be happy to do so. PM me here if you like.

• Like 1

I'm more relieved that i didn't spend a dime on this game. Feel kind of bad for my friend that bought it for me though. Maybe in the future there'll be servers with better rulesets.  Can only hope.   :)

Rule sets? seriously? 

everyone dies a shitload when they first get the game. in my first two hours in the game, i must of died at least six times. it is all about learning. when you play COD or halo, you are not instantly perfect at it.

as people have been saying above, try to get onto a low pop server, with maybe 5-10 people, figure out the controls, and try to get a melee weapon, even a hammer will do. then venture into a town. kill a zombie. it will take time and practice, especially cos the zombies are a little broken right now, but you will get there. eventually, you will start to survive long enough to explore the map. find places with lots of loot and get better gear, then you can consider how you play. do you help or avoid people? do you live in cities or stay out of them?

really, when you know your way around, gearing up does not take that long, but you will never get to that stage if you do not at least try to get there.

this game is better than real life in the fact that death is only temporary, learn from your mistakes and the game becomes great fun, and of they ever put planes in then the sky will be your limit!

good luck in Chernarus my friend. message me if you need help, and i am more than happy to supply it!

-Helix

The game is meant to be punishing, one wrong decision can ruin everything for you. There's nothing wrong with preferring more casual games, but to say this game blows because you suck at it is just arrogant.

And FYI you can get tents and set up a base/camp so when you die you can get some gear back but the catch is you have to remember where it is and run all the way back.

• Like 1

Losing everything and starting over doesn't seem like much of a game.

You don't seem like much of a player. 

So, if we get gear, food, water, materials, etc., just to lose it all over and over again, what's the point? How does progression work?  I'm not trying to be dense.  This game was a gift, so i'm really trying to undertand it, so i don't have to just tell my friend that he wasted his money because the game blows.  I just don't understand how we're not supposed to be demoralized to the point of uninstalling by constantly losing our "progress" and going absolutely nowhere.

EDIT: I've played many games where i die a lot, but i don't start from the absolute beginning every time i die, so while it can be downright frustrating, i can still have a sense of moving forward.  In this game, i just feel like there's no point to any of it.

That is the whole point completely! Survive at all costs. (Don't die or put yourself into situations where you can die!) If they could do it and justify it, it would be cool if you bought the game, had 1 life, died and had to buy it again. (For like a dollar.) Just like real life. Ok not buying a new life but you know what I mean? That's the whole basis of the game. Survive, don't get into battles, kill animals for food, cook them, live off the land. If you die you start again. Suvive.

The Walking Dead tv show is a good example of how this game is meant to be played. They never look for fights but if there is no other choice you fight, live or die. The end.

A friend of mine gifted this game to me last night.  After dying a few times and losing everything, i think i'm about done with this game already. Is there a server setup to not lose everything? Constantly having to start over really blows.

hell ive watched around 50hrs of YouTube videos and tutorials before even getting the game. the 1st half dozen times you play you really wont have much in the way of gear to make dying all that painful. just respawn and try again. like another poster suggested, find a very low population server and get used to the controls there.

heres a decent site for learning what the controls are.

http://guides.gamepressure.com/dayz/guide.asp?ID=15595

also...watch these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPJ37khFJWI&list=PLuMTZBpxpB0cB3p3ewQT3KTdZ6szpBYSZ they are very entertaining and give you an idea of what a pro player can do.

Well, i'm a gatherer, base builder kind of guy. I prefer to only kill zombies that are between me and where i'm going and i loathe open, full loot pvp and will avoid it at all costs (which is why i only hang out on 0/40 servers).  So, when i'm trying to gather supplies and looking for a place to set up camp, only to die because, A. I can't find any supplies, or B. I die to a zombie and lose EVERYTHING, i get a little miffed.

Bear in mind that the game isn't finished yet. Building a base and collecting loot over time isn't really possible yet; but it will be. There are mechanics for storing items in containers like tents and backpacks and hiding them somewhere, but those mechanics don't work properly right now - we're due an update next week that should fix this to a degree (the update also promises to go some way towards sorting out the problems with using melee weapons, which will be very welcome and should make killing zombies less annoying).

Base building will come in some form or other further down the line. You will be able to set up camp, gather supplies and operate from your base - even returning to it after you die. But you can't do it yet.

If you give the game a chance, you will get better at avoiding getting killed so frequently - many people manage to keep their characters going for weeks and months at a time, even playing on high-population servers.

Well, i just logged in again.  It put me near a small group of houses. Two houses were empty, and an invisible zombie attacked me as i was making my way to the third. I retreated back into house number two, but with the movement being that letting go of the movement key doesn't mean we stop moving, i couldn't get the door closed, so he followed me in and killed me.  That took all of ten minutes.  :)

Edited by Tourist

Well, i just logged in again.  It put me near a small group of houses. Two houses were empty, and an invisible zombie attacked me as i was making my way to the third. I retreated back into house number two, but with the movement being that letting go of the movement key doesn't mean we stop moving, i couldn't get the door closed, so he followed me in and killed me.  That took all of ten minutes.   :)

Keep plugging away, mate.

Only real way to combat invisible zombies is to run for the hills.

Think of it as more of a challenge than a game and you might have better luck.  Survival 101 you might say.  There are bugs you will have to deal with however, it is still in early access.  Someone posted about watching a few videos or a twitch feed.  This would be helpful.  There are also beginners threads posted here on the forum.  Check out a couple of these...

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154039-beginners-guide/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/159251-merinos-in-depth-video-guides-feb-11th-updated-to-034115106-new-status-indicators-rebalancing-of-hunger-thirst-stomach-blood-and-health-reg/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154725-index-of-all-the-helpful-threads-you-need-to-read/

A friend of mine gifted this game to me last night.  After dying a few times and losing everything, i think i'm about done with this game already. Is there a server setup to not lose everything? Constantly having to start over really blows.

Look at his name... he's a Tourist, just passing through...

Just so you know, there is no shame in running from zombies, just remember to take half a second and ensure your hands are "out/up" (spacebar) and double tap the w key, also you can hold the "alt" key to look around while running, to see where those zombies are

Hope this helps, tama.

Only real way to combat invisible zombies is to run for the hills.

Iron Maiden already knew this years ago. :P

Just so you know, there is no shame in running from zombies,

General Zod does not run from combat. 

Day_Z_29_08_2014_13_44_23_14.jpg

Fighting 3 zeds with machete only.

There is only one way this end, wither they die or I do !

Edited by General Zod

With the game as it is now, pretty much the most fun you can have is gearing up, after that, there isn't much to do other than survive. So relax and enjoy the hunt.  You'll get better with time and the more you play the more you will get the hang of it. 

Want advice? Try jumping on a low pop server and explore, get to know the game and layout, most towns have a well and you can drink from ponds as well.

You can outrun zombies (Zeds) or beat em to death with your fists / shovel / ax ect ect, You can use a screwdriver to open caned food as well as an ax and other items work as well.

Take a look around here on the forums for tutorials/FAQs as said above..

Good Luck ;)

And what he said.  There is a very steep learning curve here in DayZ.

With the game as it is now, pretty much the most fun you can have is gearing up, after that, there isn't much to do other than survive. So relax and enjoy the hunt.  You'll get better with time and the more you play the more you will get the hang of it. 

Go to populated server, preferably with a group of armed friends, and enjoy the "interaction with others. Or join a 20 / 40 player server, go to some high ground and snipe those who pass by. Or walk around trying to help others. The only thing you can't is to survive, there in nothing to survive, no diseases, no food shortage, no harsh weather. 

Go to populated server, preferably with a group of armed friends, and enjoy the "interaction with others. Or join a 20 / 40 player server, go to some high ground and snipe those who pass by. Or walk around trying to help others. The only thing you can't is to survive, there in nothing to survive, no diseases, no food shortage, no harsh weather. 

You have no idea then what is coming in .49

You have no idea then what is coming in .49

I do, but I will not base my posts on a patch that will be released "at some point". So until 0.49 hits stable my posts will regard current patch. 

Edited by General Zod

Well, i just logged in again.  It put me near a small group of houses. Two houses were empty, and an invisible zombie attacked me as i was making my way to the third. I retreated back into house number two, but with the movement being that letting go of the movement key doesn't mean we stop moving, i couldn't get the door closed, so he followed me in and killed me.  That took all of ten minutes.   :)

You seem to like forum pvp but not dayz pvp.

I don't think this game is for you. Either because of skill set or genuine disinterest. I don't really understand why you need the dayz community to explain the game to you. It's pretty self-evident. The game is in alpha. All of the features aren't in and the game hasn't received any fine tuning.

Also, if you're playing the game on a potato then you're going to have a much less enjoyable experience. It sounds like you're a bad player or, more likely, not playing under ideal alpha conditions.

Perhaps try the game when it's finished.

• Like 1