banjo (DayZ)

Should Rocket go sooner rather than later?

Up to par? Do you know what an Alpha is? There is no par. Everything is supposed to be broken. Zombies are a WIP, this has been stated hundreds of times. Please, go play another fucking game.

Sure. I'll play another game. But it does not take away the fact that I like the DayZ concept and am a fan much like the rest of us. I will gladly give Bohemia another 30 bucks if they were to fix ambient sounds before month 12 since SA began.

Also, I love how you ignore the fact I pointed out that proves why DayZ leadership is questioned.

You should be a U.S. Congressman.

Edited by hothtimeblues

Sure. I'll play another game. But it does not take away the fact that I like the DayZ concept and am a fan much like the rest of us. I will gladly give Bohemia another 30 bucks if they were to fix ambient sounds before month 12 since SA began.

Also, I love how you ignore the fact I pointed out that proves why DayZ leadership is questioned.

You should be a U.S. Congressman.

Ambient sounds = A bug.

Bugs get fixed in Beta.

Yes, they are attempting to fix it anyway, but they're rebuilding the sound engine.

As for "DayZ Leadership", you're being ridiculous... Go re-read my previous posts where I completely shut down that kind of logic. You have no idea what you're talking about and you are in no position to question "leadership". Just drop it already. This thread has gone on far too long already. 

• Like 1

Yeah. It is.

Hey, software developer here. Everything is NOT supposed to be broken in an alpha. In fact, during an alpha all features are normally implemented with (at a minimum) placeholder content and every implemented feature should be working as bug-free as possible. ;)

• Like 1

Hey, software developer here. Everything is NOT supposed to be broken in an alpha. In fact, during an alpha all features are normally implemented with (at a minimum) placeholder content and every implemented feature should be working as bug-free as possible. ;)

get out of here with ur crazy speak..

dont you know this is rocketfanbio central..

hahah...

• Like 3

i always wondered if walking dead was out and he decided to make a zombie mod.

lets ve clear the mod was amazing ! fresh breath of air in stagnated times. some of the best fun and gameplay ive had in many a year.

so hats off to rocket for that and those that helped him. cant fault it . i still prefer the mod over standalone bugs and all as its still more playable and more fun.

the sa has been taken over from rocket hes more of a puppet to it. the progress has been shit if we honest and many who loved this idea of Dayz dont even play standalone now !

they either playing breaking point, the mod still , or waiting for H1Z1 and the other army of crappy clones.

much time has been wasted on getting simple things done and time spent doing things that shouldnt of beendone like making a complicated melee system . why even do that axe chop dead.

the game should of been kept simple and work and content. if that would of been kept maybe we would be further along.

do i want rocket gone to me he is gone and has been since the other devs have been doing his job. rockets just that picture for interviews and on steam when it sys dayz. everyone knows that the other devs are doing the sa not really him.

all i ask is the team starts getting to what really needs to be done to save this game from being a total mess and other games beating it out because they embrace what most dayz players want.

simple like the mod with fighting not crafting leather under pants !!! who the fruck wants to craft leather in a zombie apocalypse ? :rolleyes: we want action fights zombies !!! not craft something useless that we wont use !

thats how out of touch the devs are ! this game is mainly played by PVP people not crafting wowtards. most people just love to mame , kill , destroy and steal shit. not make flower baskets craft a pair of shoes out of a milk bottle. wake up bring zombies, bring action , bring vehicles , bring base building. thats free and what most want. stop overcomplicating shit for the sake of it.

H1Z1 is doing this its just ripping all the vest bits from the best games in the genre like rust with airdrops and bits from dayz and putting in what people want. take note or this game will go down the shitter faster than a indian curry.

• Like 1

dgeesio, on 27 Aug 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:dgeesio, on 27 Aug 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

H1Z1 is doing this its just ripping all the vest bits from the best games in the genre like rust with airdrops and bits from dayz and putting in what people want. take note or this game will go down the shitter faster than a indian curry.

dont worry between breaking point and H1Z1, wether SA ever gets to a point of completion has become kind of mute..sad really..

if you told me 18months ago SA would be at this point of shitshow i never would have beleived it.

Edited by Siberian

Time he went.

Well done Mr Hall for having such a great idea, thanks for bringing us one of the best gaming experiences of the last 10 years, you are guaranteed gaming infamy, now take your millions and go and work on your 'dream game' and leave this project in more capable, more energetic, more dedicated hands.

• Like 1

All of that important work you refer to is great. But when will any Dayz player ever see any of what you just mentioned? That is the question. They can say they are working on a Jessica Alba robot that looks and acts real that we can all purchase when it's finished. But until I actually see any of it working, or that it exists at all..... I ain't holding my breath and believing it will ever come to be in my lifetime.

We are on track per the Roadmap. The only time development seemed "slow" is when the new teams were hired earlier in the year and it had an impact on getting updates out because they had to be trained and get up to speed with the engine. Training people takes time so it's only logical some falloff would have coccured. Regardless the team seems pretty much right on track with the roadmap now so I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

Edited by haknslash
  • Like 3

We are on track per the Roadmap.

I am pretty sure this is not true.

In the short term (Q2), ragdoll physics for players, revamped AI for zombies and animals, 64-bit servers, 6 animal types, persistent objects, and world containers (cupboards, refrigerators) are scheduled.

For Q3, Bohemia is looking to bring more players and creatures into online servers. Animal behavior will also range from hostile, passive, and companion. Barricading, basic vehicles (bikes, ATV, motorcycles), mod support (with Steam Workshop), Steam achievements, and persistent growing plants such as edible fruit and vegetables are also planned.

Currently the game only has wild berries and inedible pumpkins. In the long term (Q4), the team is aiming to add advanced vehicles (cars, planes, boats), structure creation, faction identification (e.x. bandits), and advanced player trading.

We are at the end of Q3 right now and many features are missing or not working. Item persistence, for example, was supposed to have been implemented by the end of Q2. It still has so many problems that it can't even be rolled out to all stable servers.

I think the development is going OK but it is a lie to say we are "on track per the Roadmap".

We are on track per the Roadmap. The only time development seemed "slow" is when the new teams were hired earlier in the year and it had an impact on getting updates out because they had to be trained and get up to speed with the engine. Traiing people takes time so it's only logical some falloff would of coccured. Regardless the team seems pretty much right on track with the roadmap now so I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

This roadmap you speak of has barricade system coming before October. Yet there is nothing being spoken or shared about any kind of barricade models or functions. They have achieved navmesh work and I heard they might have fixed zed clipping through doors on the next patch. So yes, some of the roadmap has been met, but not all of it.

..//..

much time has been wasted 

the game should of been kept simple

if that would of been kept maybe we would be further along.

..//..

all I ask is the team starts getting to what really needs to be done to save this game from being a total mess

..//..

thats how out of touch the devs are !

this game is mainly played by PVP people not crafting wowtards

. most people just love to mame , kill , destroy and steal shit.

not make flower baskets craft a pair of shoes out of a milk bottle..

When I tell you this the veins in your neck will go purple.. but don't get too mad:

To craft a gun that you can "shoot" - if you already have the gun and some other pieces - Ya have to find some bullets (and maybe "empty" them from a box) and you interact with the bullets to take out the ruined ones and you "combine" the bullets with the right magazine to craft a "loaded magazine" and then you have to interact the magazine with the gun to have a gun "charged" with the right magazine and bullets in it, and you "combine" other bits on the gun, like "sights" or a "stand" but you have to combine the right "sights" because some won't do what you want and some won't even "fit" on the gun and you need to "interact" to set the gun to "auto/semi" and "range" it. That's a lot of crafting for 1 gun !

- so it's hell of a lot more complicated than crafting a fishing rod.

But then you've crafted a working gun !

SEE - you craft, you craft, you craft, you just haven't even noticed - you think it's called shooting, you need it for "pvp", and it's the part of the game you like

. because you HATE crafting

Hi, you crafting wowtard !

You hate all this crafting and the devs have "wasted their time" on it.. you want to be given a loaded gun readymade when you log in, so you can just run around and shoot ? All the gun parts and ammo and clips and magazines and scopes and rails are a waste of time, but those weapons have wasted a lot more dev time than 1 fishing rod, 1 campfire.. right ? And they have wasted loads of time on stuff you can't even see !!  ( so right dude! )   And I guess clothes are a waste of time too ? We want a 2D shooter with nothing complicated in it. wtf.

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Some of y'all have way too much time on your hands to be complaining this incessantly. Chill, or just don't play DayZ for a while (or ever).

• Like 2

Sure, so as the money piles up for the game, and not a single person gives any criticism about it.......

that will lead to an elite product.

great plan, never give criticism.

• Like 1

We are not at the end of Q3 (September). We are roughly 2/3rds in, so that must mean you're a liar too huh?

The roadmap is not a concrete guide. It is simply a scale to measure an approximate time of when things are to be expected in the game or nearing ready to be in the game. Obviously some things can be delayed if they are not working as intended or create more bad than good with major bugs or setbacks. This is how game development works. To counter your agruement I would say most of the roadmap features are in than those that are missing or not implemented fully. Full server persistance should be in .49 I think.

My main point was that we are not "far off and stuck in the mud" from the roadmap like everyone tries to make it out.

This roadmap you speak of has barricade system coming before October. Yet there is nothing being spoken or shared about any kind of barricade models or functions. They have achieved navmesh work and I heard they might have fixed zed clipping through doors on the next patch. So yes, some of the roadmap has been met, but not all of it.

Perhaps there are issues with how they want to implement the barricading? Maybe they changes their minds and direction of scope AFTER Rezzed where the roadmap was mentioned? Maybe if there wasn't issues with persistance and melee it wouldn't have slowed down progress on other aspects that the teams work on. These are all thins that can attribute to delay or progress in certain areas. It's just how development goes and no matter how good you think your roadmap might be and that you've accounted for downtime with bug fixing, there is always something that pops up and throws a wrench in your plan. I am learning this the hard way and earning my scars by working on developing my own game that is nowhere near the scope of a project like DayZ LOL.

What? So you want to use the roadmap as proof that Dayz is on schedule, but when we point out that many things like Barricading will not be in the game until much later than what the road map says.. which I think is October for the roadmap.... then you are saying the road map does not mean anything and the game is doing fine?

God, no wonder I can't see eye to eye with many people on this forum.

• Like 1

We are on track per the Roadmap. The only time development seemed "slow" is when the new teams were hired earlier in the year and it had an impact on getting updates out because they had to be trained and get up to speed with the engine. Traiing people takes time so it's only logical some falloff would of coccured. Regardless the team seems pretty much right on track with the roadmap now so I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

They are on track with the roadmap. Really? So in 1 month they will add multi.thread/multi-core, advanced animals, new zombie behaviour, central loot economy, barricading, basic vehicles, modding support, player statistics and horticulture. Oh yea you are right they seems pretty much right on track with the roadmap.

• Like 1

What? So you want to use the roadmap as proof that Dayz is on schedule, but when we point out that many things like Barricading will not be in the game until much later than what the road map says.. which I think is October for the roadmap.... then you are saying the road map does not mean anything and the game is doing fine?

God, no wonder I can't see eye to eye with many people on this forum.

Are you 12? Can you not have a conversation like an adult without showing your ignorance?

I'm not "proving" anything. I am simply saying we are in-line with the roadmap, which save for barricading, advanced animals and multi-core should be good on .49 based on the status updates. Things also worth mentioning is a new weather system for your character being added that wasn't mentioned on the roadmap IIRC.

BTW Barricading does not equal "many things" as you put it. It's also not nearly as important as implementing navmesh or fixing the melee system. Different teams work on different aspects of the game development, yet these all overlap into the Implementation of any feature or asset in the game. These features and/or assets are assigned a priority which may or may not have an impact on other features being implemented. The point is some things get pushed back for whatever reason but I tho most would agree they have checked off the list more than there are things that's missing, like some of you imply. I suggest leaving the game if you don't like it and just wait on the beta, final release or uninstall it if you hate it that bad.

They are on track with the roadmap. Really? So in 1 month they will add multi.thread/multi-core, advanced animals, new zombie behaviour, central loot economy, barricading, basic vehicles, modding support, player statistics and horticulture. Oh yea you are right they seems pretty much right on track with the roadmap.

Multi core won't be added until the server performance is better stable. As you know, right now that's not the case so that's why we won't see any multi-core likely by end of Q3. Its not like you can forecast performance but there is no reason not to set a goal (roadmap).

Advanced animals - we've seen the leaked bear models. Who else knows what art has came up with? These could likely be added by the end of September I would imagine.

New zombie behavior, central loot, player statistics and horticulture we all covered in the status report released today, I suggest you read it. Most is expected to be released on experimental THIS WEEK.

Again we are not at the end of Q3, but hey while we're at it let's conveniently dismiss all the other things like adding new cities and villages all around the map, completely redoing NEAF, new models, guns, items, etc or other aspects not covered on the zomg roadmap etc...

Are you 12? Can you not have a conversation like an adult without showing your ignorance?

Personal attacks are against the forum rules.

I'm not "proving" anything. I am simply saying we are in-line with the roadmap, which save for barricading, advanced animals and multi-core should be good on .49 based on the status updates. Things also worth mentioning is a new weather system for your character being added that wasn't mentioned on the roadmap IIRC.

We are not, at all, inline with the roadmap. We are, without question, behind schedule. This is not a negative statement or an attack on the devs. It is a simple fact.

BTW Barricading does not equal "many things" as you put it. It's also not nearly as important as implementing navmesh or fixing the melee system.

Barricading is one of the most important features of the game. It is just as important as a functioning navmesh and a working melee system to many players. To some players it is MORE important seeing as how zombies and melee work "ok".

The point is some things get pushed back for whatever reason but I tho most would agree they have checked off the list more than there are things that's missing, like some of you imply. I suggest leaving the game if you don't like it and just wait on the beta, final release or uninstall it if you hate it that bad.

People have a right to an opinion and, as long as it is phrased somewhat respectfully, there is no rule against criticism. If you can't accept that then perhaps you should stop browsing the forum.

Sure, so as the money piles up for the game, and not a single person gives any criticism about it.......

that will lead to an elite product.

great plan, never give criticism.

You must have misinterpreted my post, because complaining is not the same thing as constructive criticism, as some in this thread have effectively displayed.

• Like 1

Personal attacks are against the forum rules.

It was not a personal attack but rather legitimate questions.

We are not, at all, inline with the roadmap. We are, without question, behind schedule. This is not a negative statement or an attack on the devs. It is a simple fact.

In some regards and some aspects I will agree. I think some of you jumped on my post and that's primarily my fault in the wording I chose as if saying everything on the roadmap was accounted for. I should have worded it by saying the majority of the roadmap is accounted for. My apology for causing the uproar.

Barricading is one of the most important features of the game. It is just as important as a functioning navmesh and a working melee system to many players. To some players it is MORE important seeing as how zombies and melee work "ok".

Make no mistake barricading is very important to me. I am looking towards it more than vehicles. However to say that barricading is more important than zombies clipping through buildings is just nonsense and you know it. It was one of the biggest complaints and still is. What is the point of barricading if zombies are just going to walk through it???

People have a right to an opinion and, as long as it is phrased somewhat respectfully, there is no rule against criticism. If you can't accept that then perhaps you should stop browsing the forum.

What are you talking about? I don't have any issues with what anyone has said in this thread and respect their opinion.

Edited by haknslash

Fair enough point. I agree that some of us, myself included, are coming off as whiners more than constructive criticizers.

So let me reword what I think the post was trying to say. It would have been beneficial to the course and speed of development if a more experienced and dedicated leader was appointed to better delegate the needs of this awesome great game we get to enjoy.

Perhaps other leaders would have demanded a dedicated sound team much sooner, for one example.

@OP

To be honest I don't think that you can blame Rocket for what is wrong with the game. Whether he stays or leaves has little to no impact on the development at all.

In the very, very beginning of the development, the whole company made one huge mistake: Instead of using the old, outdated and certainly limited Arma II / Take On Helicopters engine, they should have programmed a new engine from scratch or used an approproate 3rd party product such as CryEngine, Unity or Unreal instead.

Most of the delays and problems we are facing right now emerged because the engine DayZ is currently using was never meant to handle a game like DayZ. The amount of objects (loot) and characters (players+zombies+animals, later cars) was simply too much for an egine that was meant to serve for a mostly singleplayer (!) simulation. So basically the devs had to rewrite the whole servercode which took a lot of time and actually took longer than writing a server from scratch.

Same with physics and ragdoll: While most modern engines natively support some kind of physic engine (e.g. Havok), the devs have to basically fit an new engine into the servercode of a 5 year old game. 

However, none of this is (only) Rockets fault. Blame whoever made the stupid engine decision.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree. And you make a better point than me because as everyone can tell, I know nothing about game development. So it's hard for me to say what is wrong or what can be better. But in my gut, I know that things could have been more efficiently handled. That's all I know or at least feel. But DerDuderich makes a more clear example of what was mismanaged.

So maybe in the end, I am wrong to criticize what they are doing NOW, perhaps NOW they are doing everything they can to fix the game. But over 9 months ago is maybe when they made some bad moves or didn't make enough moves to give the game a better chance of completion.