Sign in to follow this  
Schweinsteiger

Changing Servers...

Hey all,

I've noticed that when I change servers different things happen to my character:

On one server (not hardcore, just regular) I have all my gear. I change to another server and my character is on the coast, like I just re-spawned (died).[not a hardcore server either]

When this happens I exit quickly, pick a new server and I'm back to my old character with all my weapons and supplies. Sometimes it takes a few tries until I get my old character back.

Apparently I'm missing something concerning the servers?

Why do some servers make me a fresh Bambi while others will spawn me with all my gear?

I'd really like to know so I can avoid spawning as a Bambi when I was never killed in the first place.

Also, do these Bambi servers effectively give us a third character to play (like hardcore does)?

Thanks,

-Schweinsteiger!

Edited by Schweinsteiger
  • Like 1

Happens to me to, but it's DayZ so what can you expect?
When they add new items and fix old buggs 100 new ones appear.

I'm okay with this.  everyone should be reminded every day what a bambi feels like.

• Like 1

I think you missed my point entirely. 

You know how we can have two characters, one hardcore and one regular (3rd person) right? Both characters can have different equipment, if one dies the other character is still geared up because the two modes are completely separate besides the name of the character.

Since the update my geared up character from the "regular" servers loses all his gear when I pick a server with persistence turned on. After server hopping over and over I finally found a server ( a few, it just takes some time) where my character's gear is present.

Does this mean we now effectively have three characters or will I lose my geared up "regular" character if I play on servers with persistence turned on? You see, every time I try one of those servers I'm hungry and on the coast. I log out immediately just in case, I don't want to somehow lose my geared up character if I stay too long.

If this is true it means I'll have to give up my current character and start from scratch. And I have sweet loot too!

Yeah I'd kind of like to know about this as well.  I haven't played DayZ since much earlier this year so I've missed a lot of the updates. 

When I recently booted it up though, it put me on the beach.  I thought "whatever...character wiped.  Welcome to Alpha."  But then when I started up again on a different server later, I still had all my original gear from when I stopped playing in January.  Then when I played again the next day, it started me as a bambi again so I had to server hop until I could find one that still had my original character. 

And yes, they were all non-hardcore servers.  It seems like most of the 1st person servers are gone now...  =(

Edited by banpei

Probably hitting experimental servers vs stable. They are on the same patch so it is easy to mix

Why don't you all just note down which server(s) this happens on and post.

Could well be useful and we might find something interesting !

I'm finally got that bug.I've lost my gear after zombie attacked me and i switched server.I had only my red t-shirt (red because i like be medic,not any bandit or liar).Its still actually working glitch.I had many medical supplies for help and B+ blood,great loot for medic.So relog made me freshly spawned.If you got that problem i recommend dont many relog while you getting attacked or got fracture on 0.48 stable version of Standalone.

The next stage is my bad luck with that bug.Its looks like an virus who eating my loot & saves.I found an airport,i have gone to him in hope to find any stuff like helmets and vests.Here were a guy with sporter,i had no weapon except the axe.I got one shot into my leg.Im relogged.Gone to other server.I saw a red message: Your save game is corrupted.System administrator will be alerted.I'm relogged.Gone to some random friendly server.I'm spawned in a house of city (here i lost my stuff).Now i'm having 3 bad accounts (as i calling that bugged gears).So,i had bad luck,before i got rage quit i found badly damaged gas mask (WTF???).Now,i loosing my stuff forever.Do anyone know how to fix that bug?I'm tryed to find any information about that and only found glitches.

So you're saying you're logging off when under attack from zombies or when you're being shot at?

Yeah, losing a character like that is not a bug, friend.

• Like 2

I'm finally got that bug.I've lost my gear after zombie attacked me and i switched server.I had only my red t-shirt (red because i like be medic,not any bandit or liar).Its still actually working glitch.I had many medical supplies for help and B+ blood,great loot for medic.So relog made me freshly spawned.If you got that problem i recommend dont many relog while you getting attacked or got fracture on 0.48 stable version of Standalone.

The next stage is my bad luck with that bug.Its looks like an virus who eating my loot & saves.I found an airport,i have gone to him in hope to find any stuff like helmets and vests.Here were a guy with sporter,i had no weapon except the axe.I got one shot into my leg.Im relogged.Gone to other server.I saw a red message: Your save game is corrupted.System administrator will be alerted.I'm relogged.Gone to some random friendly server.I'm spawned in a house of city (here i lost my stuff).Now i'm having 3 bad accounts (as i calling that bugged gears).So,i had bad luck,before i got rage quit i found badly damaged gas mask (WTF???).Now,i loosing my stuff forever.Do anyone know how to fix that bug?I'm tryed to find any information about that and only found glitches.

Not a bug at all. It seems that all of those times, you combat logged. That will never work in DayZ SA. After you log out, your toon still sits there for at least half a minute before disappearing. Whatever attacked you before you hit 'exit' will most likely kill you in the meantime.

Not a bug. Your own fault.

So you're saying you're logging off when under attack from zombies or when you're being shot at?

Yeah, losing a character like that is not a bug, friend.

It happens on experimental servers as well and when your character is in a safe place. Well done to the op in quickly switching back and regaining his character. I've posted about how I saved my character a couple of times here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/207676-character-just-reset/

There's issues in the tracker about it too. Plus there's an actual server notice comes up explaining about not being able to connect to the hive when it happens.

It is a bug. That's not to say sometimes we can get killed when logging in/out but that's a seperate issue.

Edited by freethink

When my character got wiped I got a message at the bottom left of the screen saying so. Therefore I don't think it's that.

wow i have gotten a char reset 3 times today, and about 10 times in total this week... i always check out different servers every time i log on. (wont do that anymore after today i lost my m4 holo+silencer :(... ) 

but i have never, ever eveveveveverrrrr seen a message saying my character got wiped.. or your save game is corrupted..... nothing of that matter :(

i know i am unlucky on this matter seeing that my 2 friends who are often loggin in and out with me around the same time.. but only i get the char reset this often...

There is a known issue raised where if you are on a server when the server restarts, and you re-join it, or another server that has recently restarted within a few minutes, the server cannot sync you with the hive and will create a new character for you. Basically, if the server you are on has restarted, you need to either wait several minutes (5 or so?) before attempting to rejoin, or join another server that has been running for at least 5-10 minutes to avoid the hive disconnect or whatever is plaguing .48 stable. If you do get a re-spawn, simply exit and continue to attempt to rejoin servers in the same hive until you get your gear back. This can be 3-5 times.

This bug will be more prevalent with players using low-pop servers to gear up, or trying to use a low pop server or the same server to lower the risk of joining another server when the reset may have left them in a vulnerable place, since that low-pop server may itself be low pop due to a recent restart. Ideally target a server with at least 10 players and a game time in an odd interval. (I.e. 12+ minutes after the hour) Hitting a server like that you'll usually spawn in without incident. Then after 5-10 min you can opt to return to your previous server, but be prepared for the 30-60 second login timer.

I've lost 2 characters since .48 stable due to this bug after the first couple attempts to recover a character didn't work. It should work eventually as long as you log out as soon as you know you've been fresh-spawned without moving. (No idea how long you have, but generally if you move, you're screwed, the hive updates.) I have recovered characters since then, but it typically took at least 3 very anxious hops. If you do get a login timer, after it goes to "please wait" you can hit esc to get a peek at the location you'll be joining the server. If it isn't where you were with your main character, exit right then and try a different server. If it is your old spot and you leave the menu up you'll eventually see a fresh-spawn pop in at the location, don't panic, your gear pops in after that then the screen will change to your in-game PoV. :)

Edited by Sokak

Similar thing appen when your bag is full (maybe not only when its full). You need to throw some items away from your backpack/pants so you can loot but once on the ground, you can't reach them (on the tab character sheet) anymore even if you see them on the ground... Fix this by opening the tab character sheet again pointing the stuff on the ground then drag those (item on the ground) like you wanted to throw them again... And you will now see the item appear on this tab sheet.

Another thing appened, I freshly spawned with a flash light... Gone offline for 30 minutes, login back in and this flash light was not there anymore... I was... "ok whatever i don't need it.." And the very first item I looted(a map), as soon as I took it, the flashlight appeared like magik in my equipement..

And of course this gearing thing not spawning in my character when I log back in.. It's appening all the time but I don't mind cause respawning make me learn something new all the time I start playing an empty character. I don't even get mad cause this game is so awesome and it's a pleasure to grind gear more and more and more..

Sorry about my english I hope I wrote understandably?!!?

Sorry to necro this thread, but instead of starting a new one i will write in this "i hope this is how you do it on this forum".

I started playing yesterday for a few hours and got me a rifle and a gun and the essentials then i logged off, now today i went into random server "persistence on as the old one" and i started all over on the beach with nothing so i just thought that it was a bug/glitch but i died pretty quickly and choose another server again and there i was with my old equipment.

Now i kept this first bloke alive for about 8 hours i reckon and have started to kit him up quite nicely and im just afraid that it will lose everything the next time i log in.

Is there a solution for this problem yet or am i just doing something wrong?

Both server that worked so far was nighttime persistent on and public, the server that took everything away from me had the same but was daytime and surely you should be able to jump between daytime/nighttime ay? and oh yea, all three of them were in 1st and 3rd view.

Again sorry if the necro thing is frowned upon but if you don't test you don't know right.

Thanks in advance survivors  

Edit: thinking about it, i might have logged off before i died on this "fresh spawn i got" i can't remember but i might have switched servers before she died "yea i was a girl named christoffer... Anywho don't know if that extra info is to any help 

Edited by Christoffer.s

Again sorry if the necro thing is frowned upon but if you don't test you don't know right.

Take notice of the different tabs in the server browser.

Private : will give a new spawn in all cases, *unless using a shared hive (rare).

Public : will give you the same character (saved) unless your char has trouble connecting to the Hive (where your data is stored).

For each Private server you will have a unique character *.

You need to keep track of which server(s) you play on, pen & paper should do the job just fine !

Take notice of the different tabs in the server browser.

Private : will give a new spawn in all cases, *unless using a shared hive (rare).

Public : will give you the same character (saved) unless your char has trouble connecting to the Hive (where your data is stored).

For each Private server you will have a unique character *.

You need to keep track of which server(s) you play on, pen & paper should do the job just fine !

Thx mate, im pretty sure i wouldn't click on a private "because private sounds like it would be private" server but i can't be certain if i did or not. Either Way it was great info that those spawns a new character, gona start to write down which servers i'm playing on then. I thought that it automatically saved the one you were last on but this is not the case then?

Also i saw a yt video that explained that the server type dayZ was night servers and dayz server are daytime is this how it works or was the guy wearing too much tinfoil?

Cred that the mods are actually actively involved in these forums  :) I'm a member of many game forums and most of them have mods that dont post but only lock threads.

It's easy to see just how confusing this is becoming. Let me see if I can distil it down a bit:

1. 1st person/3rd person characters are different and independent of each other. If you accidentally log in to a 1st person, you will be a new spawn, but this shouldn't affect your 3rd person char. Your char in the main options screen may change to whichever flavour of server you were last on, but this doesn't necessarily mean you've been reset. .

2. Persistence on or off has no effect within 1st or 3rd person. Your char is stable across on or off servers.

3. Classical "resets" happen because a server has failed to connect to the central database so resets you as a fresh spawn. If it does manage to connect to the database while you are on it as a freshie, your old character will be overwritten. So get off it, fast.

4. Private hives are separate characters. If you die on the public hive, any private hive character should be unaffected.

5. When you log out, your char will remain in the game for 30 seconds. If you're being attacked by something, or someone, or if something or someone sees you and can have a go at you within that 30 second window, you will die. So give yourself a minute or two before you log out, sitting quietly in your shed, or bush, or whatever, to make sure something hasn't spotted you and is coming to get you.

6. To avoid mixing up different types of server, make use of the sorting tabs on the server selection screen.

7. Do not log into a server immediately after it restarts. Wait at least four or five minutes.

So, if on one server you were running around with your pristine M4, Smersh, Gorka, FNX, etc and on the next you're feeling a bit chilly in the surf, one of the following has happened:

• You logged while under attack or under observation and really are dead
  • You have logged on to a server which has just restarted, or otherwise failed to connect to the public hive database. Get off it, PDQ.
  • You have accidentally logged into a 1st or 3rd person server, when you were playing the other variety with your main char. No biggie.
  • You have confused your public hive char with a private one. Again, no biggie.

Finally, and just to make this even more confusing, naughty server admins use the message of the day options to say things like "Your character has been reset" etc, as a way of putting people off using their server. Don't trust those messages. If you have really been reset, there is no message...