Sign in to follow this  
Zanders

Dayz Standalone is lacking a huge core piece in my eyes.

To add on to my previous you can also make your own quests. 

-Today I shall conduct "Quest for Can Opener"

-I have a Makarov but no magazine, I shall go hunt for one.

-I have not made an improvised back pack from boar skin, I shall do that today, while I am at it I will cook my pork chops and bacon.

-I shall do all this while circumnavigating the map with out getting too hungry, being dehydrated, checking all major cities along the way and not getting killed by some schmuck with an axe on the whole trip.

Well said Barnabus!.............. Beans sir?

DayZ is an open survival game where you are free to survive or perish as a result of YOUR actions. I have no need of being assigned  a linear quest and plot line people that require that shit should play Skyrim or Echo The Dolphin. In DayZ with NavMesh, fast spawning hard hitting zombies and the KoS gang and lone snipers it is an adventure every step of the way. In such a hostile world Its an adventure just to enter a town to gleen some supplies and medicine from what remains of Chernarus. So I make my own Quests as Banabus does:

get some peaches,

get some more ammo

get some water,

get some morphine

get some Epinepherine

get some water purification tablets

kill other players that get in my way

remain unseen by other players

As Barnabus basically said staying alive and healthy is the PURPOSE. Eveything that Barnibus said is correct

Chepaco Said_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We are PLAYERS, not developers. I usually turn a blind eye to the "Alpha-ers", but this I can't. I agree that we did pay money for a game knowing there would be major issues, and that one of the purposes of an early access game is to report issues. 

I get that. But we're PLAYERS, not developers. Me, along with 99% of early access players, bought this game because we want to PLAY it, not develop it. Yes, we'll help with our reports and suggestions, but I'm not a developer. I don't know a single thing about game development. We paid money to PLAY a game... We did NOT invest in the development of a game, because if that's all I cared about, I would have purchase stock in their company

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Come on man get in the game!!!

•you didn't buy a game you bought a work in progress that will become a game.

•When you buy a game in Alpha you have become a bug reporting system for the developers first and a player second 

• No 99% folks that paid for the Alpha did so because they wanted to have a bit of fun and fully understood that what they bought was not a finished product and do not feel the need to get on their hind legs and whine about the GAME being problematicand unfinished.

•Have you ever read the disclaimer ?

• YES you did invest in the development of the game even if you don't understand that simple FACT.

Folks that cry about their 30 bucks make me sick I have played standalone for almost 800 hours making my cost to play $0.0375 per hour. WOW! how expensive!!!

Edited by Xbow

Folks that cry about their 30 bucks make me sick I have played standalone for almost 800 hours making my cost to play $0.0375 per hour. WOW! how expensive!!!

You need to take a chill pill there buddy and stop acting like a homer.

Where was I complaining about spending $30??? Please, quote that for me. As a matter of fact, it's been the best $30 I've spent on Steam in a very long time, and did I ever say that was expensive? Also, where did I complain about the fact that this is an E.A.???? Again, please quote that. I'm well aware that this is an E.A. title at the moment, I never denied that or complained about it.

The only point I was making is that this is a GAME that happens to be in Early Access...but it is a game first, and people paid $30 to PLAY it. Testing would not be possible without playing. This notion that purchasing an E.A. title makes you a "tester/developer" first and a player second is just not true.

Heck, even in Steam's info page about Early Access titles, it states:

First of all, look for games that are interesting, exciting, and that you want to play.

Pretty sure that doesn't say "First of all, look for games that are interesting, exciting, and that you want to help test and invest your money in."

Edited by Chepaco
  • Like 1

And well.. If you didn't put your 30$ down to do that you either didn't read ...

I read just fine:

"First of all, look for games that are interesting, exciting, and that you want to play."

http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq

nor care what Early Access means and just wanted to play

Yes I do just want to play. That's the whole point. I wouldn't pay $30 for a game I don't want to play.

Edited by Chepaco
  • Like 2

Exactly what Barnabus said. And on top of that, ultimately, the best content will always be created by other players. Even when they add thousands of zeds per city, it is only fun if there are other players. Because only other players can act randomly and make new content. Zeds will always behave in a given way and things like fixing a car or getting to a place is just some amount of work you need to do, not new thinking.

Well when/if they add thousand zombies, you won't be able to run to the nearest army barracks, police station to get weapons, you won't be able to just run to every house and loot it. Our gameplay will have to change, probably to the point where co-operating with a stranger is more useful than just shooting them.

You need to take a chill pill there buddy and stop acting like a homer.

Where was I complaining about spending $30??? Please, quote that for me. As a matter of fact, it's been the best $30 I've spent on Steam in a very long time, and did I ever say that was expensive? Also, where did I complain about the fact that this is an E.A.???? Again, please quote that. I'm well aware that this is an E.A. title at the moment, I never denied that or complained about it.

The only point I was making is that this is a GAME that happens to be in Early Access...but it is a game first, and people paid $30 to PLAY it. Testing would not be possible without playing. This notion that purchasing an E.A. title makes you a "tester/developer" first and a player second is just not true.

Heck, even in Steam's info page about Early Access titles, it states:

First of all, look for games that are interesting, exciting, and that you want to play.

Pretty sure that doesn't say "First of all, look for games that are interesting, exciting, and that you want to help test and invest your money in."

Are you sure its me coming off as a 'Homer' sport? :lol:  Stop acting like a snot with that homer shit, take a sedative andf Enjoy the game as it develops and improves. Now as I recall I never said that YOU complained about the cost, I said:

"Folks that cry about their 30 bucks make me sick I have played standalone for almost 800 hours making my cost to play $0.0375 per hour. WOW! how expensive!!!"

Unless your name is 'Folks' lets not make this all about YOU bro because it isn't. 

Actually we agree since I also enjoy DayZ far more than any other game I have scored off of Steam. In fact, for quite a long time have played only DayZ as I have no time for 95% of the crap that's out there that I paid a hell of a lot more for. DayZ is more of a 'game' right now than most finished games will ever be IMHO. 

How do you like Hunting for your sustenance in DayZ as opposed to scavenging for it in a typically Zombie infested shit hole of a town? I just wish they would fix the cooking pot so that I can use a stove to cook my meat without burning it...and they will fix it.   

Edited by Xbow

Well when/if they add thousand zombies, you won't be able to run to the nearest army barracks, police station to get weapons, you won't be able to just run to every house and loot it. Our gameplay will have to change, probably to the point where co-operating with a stranger is more useful than just shooting them.

I don't think that will happen (Thousands of zombies). But as it is the longer you stay in an infested town the more re-spawned zombies will appear as you kill them (forever now). For me i think that once you have killed all the first generation zeds and several iterations of their re-spawned replacements in a town they shouldn't start spawning again for 10 minutes or so. Otherwise its just a waste of ammo and time. But like you I think more zombies will lead to cooperating with others at least until the zombies have been cleared out...after that it will be back to KoS and Banditry sadly.     

It is amazing how much you guys deviate from the topic :)

And no. I dont care if its alpha.

That's just pointless mate! "I don't care if it's a PC game, I wanna use my xbox controller". Some things are just facts that you have to deal with.

Anyhow, I totally see you point about the lack of content currently. I'm looking forward to cars as much as the next nerd.

That being said, the most fun I had in SA by now was when we founded a religious cult and went about converting people by gunpoint. The game had WAY less features back then, but it was still the most fun I had. Sure, it requires imagination, a few crazy friends and an indifferent approach to getting killed, but it kept me way more amused than cars would have. If you expect "features" and "progression" to keep you entertained, you should probably give the game a good handful of months before you play it again.

• Like 2

I completely agree. I want something I can do to further my group's goals when they aren't necessarily around, also something we can all do together when they are.

Hopefully some cool base building stuff will get added, but it's taking a while.

you can always tend to the gardens/crops/farmville update that's in the plans

Now as I recall I never said that YOU complained about the cost, I said:

"Folks that cry about their 30 bucks make me sick I have played standalone for almost 800 hours making my cost to play $0.0375 per hour. WOW! how expensive!!!"

Unless your name is 'Folks' lets not make this all about YOU bro because it isn't. 

You included that in the section of your post where you were speaking to me, and about me. You made no indication whatsoever that you changed your train of thought. Next time, be a little more careful with continuity when you post.

Second, I called you a homer because you saw "danger" and prematurely reacted to it when there was no danger to your precious DayZ at all. Whether or not you were speaking about me personally when you said "folks" doesn't matter because NO ONE in this thread is complaining about the $30 they spent on this game.

You said "Folks that cry about their 30 bucks make me sick"... who exactly is crying in this thread?

The OP simply stated a fact that there is no accomplishable objective to this game whatsoever, and since he is, as you say, a "tester" who simply "invested" in the devolpement of a game because it's Early Access, I think he's more than entitled to have tested this game and found it lacking on that point. He, along with anyone else here, ought to be entitled to create a thread without the Alpha-ers and Homers jumping down his throat, do you not agree? No one here is comlaining about spending $30, so your paranoia can rest at ease for now.

Edited by Chepaco

Another one of these threads that appears to need another simple reminder.

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

This also includes lack of features.  Bad thread is still bad.

• Like 1

That is the beauty of this game, there is no 'purpose;' you literally do whatever you want.  You can hunt for the best gear, hunt that elusive red deer, or simply hunt people.  You can be a hero helping everyone you run across, or a villainous highwayman holding up people for their loot.

The point of DayZ is to immerse the players in an environment unable to be reproduced in real life.  DayZ gives us the world, the tools, the sandbox, but it is us, the players and our interactions with each other that make this game unique and fun, in my opinion.  Well yes you are correct more tangible goals such as working together on building a helicopter would be great, but its a game in development, and these things are planned.  We must work with what we got, and for me what we have now is sufficient.

How about coming together to hold a friendly town?  That is a tremendous goal, and a difficult one at that.  There are people who strive to maintain a Green Mountain Sanctuary fit with active guards to hold a place to trade, and it constantly gets raided by bandits.  Or there are people who solely stick around NWAF or Berezino to PvP. Like it our not, that is their current goal, and a fun one at that.

Basically what I am saying is the point of DayZ is not to have a point.  That is why the devs are against things like player progression and such, because at its CORE, DayZ is about what the player makes of it.  The devs provides the sand, the players make the castles.

• Like 1

I want a 40 man raid of the catacombs beneath Devil's Castle with the end boss of the dungeon being a giant zombified version of Rocket.

I want his left hand to say Reddit, his right hand to say Twitter, and his arse to say DayZ Forums.

His special move would be to throw staircases that, upon landing, shoot razor sharp ladders at the raid.

His health bar should have 40,000,000 hit points. When he's brought to 5% health, he'll blast off and leave the project, er, dungeon.

THAT, to me, is a badass endgame.

• Like 2

Bad thread is still bad.

Not bad at all as the OP manages to formulate "I want endgame features" with good reasoning and while avoiding the flawed common wording by not using the word "endgame".

You included that in the section of your post where you were speaking to me, and about me. You made no indication whatsoever that you changed your train of thought. Next time, be a little more careful with continuity when you post.

Second, I called you a homer because you saw "danger" and prematurely reacted to it when there was no danger to your precious DayZ at all. Whether or not you were speaking about me personally when you said "folks" doesn't matter because NO ONE in this thread is complaining about the $30 they spent on this game.

You said "Folks that cry about their 30 bucks make me sick"... who exactly is crying in this thread?

The OP simply stated a fact that there is no accomplishable objective to this game whatsoever, and since he is, as you say, a "tester" who simply "invested" in the devolpement of a game because it's Early Access, I think he's more than entitled to have tested this game and found it lacking on that point. He, along with anyone else here, ought to be entitled to create a thread without the Alpha-ers and Homers jumping down his throat, do you not agree? No one here is comlaining about spending $30, so your paranoia can rest at ease for now.

You are whining like a two year old that lost his little cookie. You ask, who is crying? Well, you are crying. Who wrote these immortal words, "we did pay money for a game"  "We paid money to PLAY a game", "We did NOT invest in the development of a game",  And that was in one paragraph that YOU wrote.  And pray tell why would anyone be paranoid about what a Little Lisa has to say about DayZ?

There is no objective? News flash!! in a survival game surviving is the OBJECTIVE.

Edited by Xbow

I'm in the "I give myself quests" camp. I'm still new to the game, so picking a destination to explore is still one of the primary quests. Also there are things mentioned like find x magazine or in the beginning it's often "find a map" (I don't use external maps).

You are whining like a two year old that lost his little cookie. You ask, who is crying? Well, you are crying. Who wrote these immortal words, "we did pay money for a game" "We paid money to PLAY a game", "We did NOT invest in the development of a game", And that was in one paragraph that YOU wrote. And pray tell why would anyone be paranoid about what a Little Lisa has to say about DayZ?

There is no objective? News flash!! in a survival game surviving is the OBJECTIVE.

That's not whining, my friend. That's stating an opinion, which Homers like you frown upon.

Oh, and I never said there's no objective. I said there's no ACCOMPLISHABLE objective. Surviving is the objective to this game, but it is not something that can be accomplished. You need to learn to read before you post, and you really need to learn simple forum etiquette like continuity and quoting someone correctly.

Thanks.

That's not whining, my friend. That's stating an opinion, which Homers like you frown upon.

Oh, and I never said there's no objective. I said there's no ACCOMPLISHABLE objective. Surviving is the objective to this game, but it is not something that can be accomplished. You need to learn to read before you post, and you really need to learn simple forum etiquette like continuity and quoting someone correctly.

Thanks.

The very definition of what you are requesting goes against what a sandbox game is. 

There is a difference between sandbox and open world.  This game is a sandbox.  Adding objectives changes that.  You create the objectives. 

The very definition of what you are requesting goes against what a sandbox game is.

There is a difference between sandbox and open world. This game is a sandbox. Adding objectives changes that. You create the objectives.

I'm not requesting anything. The OP is. Edited by Chepaco

I'm not suggesting anything. The OP is.

Actually you are fighting over the whole "ingame goals" vs "self set goals" thing when the OP was pretty clear about it:

He wants more complex ingame features that could become greater self set goals for geared players or groups of players.

Something I agree with and most others seem to agree with. Not things you have to do but things you can do if you want to put quite some effort into them.

Its a sandbox game this about as good as it gets for something to do

Minecraft is a sandbox game as well, but it has objectives that can be accomplished. Just because something is classified as a sandbox game doesn't mean that it's not allowed to integrate objectives that can be accomplished.

I would support character progression based on hours played. Older characters could run a little faster, jump farther and bandage quicker. Maybe you could grow a beard, too. No stats like Nether.

Thanks.

You appear to be so 'articulate' that you can't steer clear of direct insults and that is just about as dumb as dirt. Your constant use of direct Insults (Homer = Idiot) points to the dire possibility that you have a touch of NPD working against you. Tell me, why do budding Narcissists lash out the way you do and in such a crude and stupid fashion?    

You wrote, "I said there's no ACCOMPLISHABLE objective",..... I'm sorry but that comment is just plain stupid. Kid your day to day survival is an ACCOMPLISHMENT in and of itself. Do you have the capacity to understand anything?

You also wrote, "Surviving is the objective to this game, but it is not something that can be accomplished."  You are generating pure drool here buddy and that you are unaware of it is very amusing. Learn how to think kid.

I suggest that you go back to playing Ecco the Dolphin or whatever it is that trips your little trigger.  

Edited by Xbow

You appear to be so articulate that you can't steer clear of direct insults and that is just about as dumb as dirt. And that fact also points to the possibility that you have a touch of NPD working against you.

You wrote, "I said there's no ACCOMPLISHABLE objective",..... I'm sorry but that comment is just plain stupid. Kid your day to day survival is an ACCOMPLISHMENT in and of itself. Do you have the capacity to understand anything?

You also wrote, "Surviving is the objective to this game, but it is not something that can be accomplished." You are generating pure drool here buddy and that you are unaware of it is very amusing. Learn how to think Kid.

I suggest that you go back to playing Ecco the Dolphin or whatever it is that trips your trigger.

Thanks Lisa

If you're going to get your panties in a bunch, make sure you quote people correctly before doing so. It just makes you look incompetent. And when you're called out on the fact that you clearly misrepresented both myself and other "folks" as you said, just man up and admit you made a mistake. You of all people should know how to act like a man, right. ;)