Super_Duty

Experimental Branch: 0.48 Discussion

Thats the way, plenty of optimism. Miserable sod

considering that pretty much all previous updates have either made performance worse or not changed it at all, i'm being perfectly optimistic. if you read my previous posts you'd see that i did once have high hopes for this game, and i believed it was going to be great. now i can understand, the game is not even half finished yet. but god damn when i can't run it for more than 2 minutes before my cpu overheats and even when i'm playing i get 10 fps, there ain't much hope. i honestly think that performance was better after the first couple of updates. now they've added all this new crap that will only serve to make it worse. that's why i don't have any optimism any more. the game disappointed me so much.

I thought thats a matter of course?!

Otherwise people (could) spam here junk on loot points and nothing usefull wil respawn there anymore till some one collect and remove the shit from there... that opens new doors for grieving to destroy peoples game experience.  

Sometimes it feels like they try to make the standalone different to the mod at all costs... And imo the mod still works better in many ways, sad but true. And I am assured we need privat hive servers after the alpha is finished. That will stop the major abuse problems, except of course admin abuse, lol. 

I dont think placing junk items on top of a respawn point stops loot from respawning. Does not appear to work that way. I think they have just turned the respawn mechanism to be much slower.

Also I half suspect that once the loot limit of a server is reached that items then begin to despawn so new ones can spawn but not sure at what rate that goes either it could be just one item at a time and that could be what is driving the respawns now 

Has anyone else found tons of useless jeans and pants but no shirts or bandanas whatsoever? Kinda hard to bandage right now...

update should be incoming every minute, WOOHOOO

Every minute? That will shut some people up about the development pace haha.

• Like 1

ECIT: Sorry, this was on version 47. I was thinking all server on experimental was on the same version, wrong.

I'm having problems with getting stuck in "Cancel Action". This usually happens when I eat or drink something that I do not manually put in my hands first, while I'm for example holding my ax. I have to re-log to be able to do anything but look around using the mouse, or open menus. Seems like an animation problem, as when I use "eat all" only the first animation plays.

"V" makes me go prone now, instead of vaulting.

Tents are nowhere to be found, so you can stop looking :)

Zombies still cheat, but not as much as before (been a while since I've played so this might be old news)

I can use ruined clothes...I'm not sure if this is by design. 

Fishing needs to be made different. It takes way to much time for little gain. I guess its OK if you have persistent storage and a camp, living that hermit life, but to me the it just lots easier running to a town and back to camp to get food.

I'm not finding stanag or .45 ammo for some reason, might be coincidental, but weird since I've played alot lately and only find it on others or in magazines.

Splinting my bones makes me fall on my ass and ruins my gear (hoodie, vest, pants)

Zombies and sometimes other players float around, sometimes player float prone or in crouched mode.

My player sometimes just sheets his axe for no reason, sometimes this can be bad.

Edited by lol2k345

I'm having problems with getting stuck in "Cancel Action". This usually happens when I eat or drink something that I do not manually put in my hands first, while I'm for example holding my ax. I have to re-log to be able to do anything but look around using the mouse, or open menus. Seems like an animation problem, as when I use "eat all" only the first animation plays.

"V" makes me go prone now, instead of vaulting.

Tents are nowhere to be found, so you can stop looking :)

Zombies still cheat, but not as much as before (been a while since I've played so this might be old news)

I can use ruined clothes...I'm not sure if this is by design. 

Fishing needs to be made different. It takes way to much time for little gain. I guess its OK if you have persistent storage and a camp, living that hermit life, but to me the it just lots easier running to a town and back to camp to get food.

I'm not finding stanag or .45 ammo for some reason, might be coincidental, but weird since I've played alot lately and only find it on others or in magazines.

Splinting my bones makes me fall on my ass and ruins my gear (hoodie, vest, pants)

Zombies and sometimes other players float around, sometimes player float prone or in crouched mode.

My player sometimes just sheets his axe for no reason, sometimes this can be bad.

.45 amm spawns as does M4 ammo

• Like 1

Has anyone else found tons of useless jeans and pants but no shirts or bandanas whatsoever? Kinda hard to bandage right now...

Yeah me and a friend of mine were looking everywhere for shirts and bandanas because he was bleeding from a zed and we couldn't find anything so he ended up bleeding to death man it sucked :(  

but god damn when i can't run it for more than 2 minutes before my cpu overheats and even when i'm playing i get 10 fps, there ain't much hope. i honestly think that performance was better after the first couple of updates.

Finally someone who get and see the same problem like me, since 0.47 (from the first patch) I have frequently fps slowdows to 12-17 fps every few seconds (usually I have 30-45 fps), especially when you run long distances (grassland etc.). Many people don't even realize this massiv issue, I saw 0.47 youtube videos with this kinds of slowdowns and the player don't care or even don't realize it... maybe because the performance in Dayz SA was always horrible.

This game is so CPU limited... I guess only a low level API like Mantle will solve this issue with the huge CPU overhead. DX11 (coming Enfusion Engine) maybe will bring a big performance improvement too. But if you don't care the expensive Core i5/i7 stuff and you still play with your Core 2 Quad or Phenom II you are probably never really happy with the performance in Dayz.  

0.46 had definite NOT this frequently slowdowns. 

I'm pretty sure i can reproduce the lootrespawn on regular too, if u wan't me to try, i can give u feedback within this evening.

Only if you dont mind the effort :)

I dont think placing junk items on top of a respawn point stops loot from respawning. Does not appear to work that way.

I really hope so... for me it looks like that way since today.

Edited by Sharplooter
  • Like 1

Too much TV you watch, me thinks.

Haha. Very funny :P When I said, "Are they actually spawning?" I meant as opposed to the game files simply being added in the background but not yet used.

All the south west US servers are never online it sadly seems  :(

They are, but they seem to have a weird restart routine. I was mostly playing on US Southwest 0-2 last night and it seemed like it was restarting more often than the others, but that could have been my imagination. When it did restart, it would restart like 6 times in a row and appear/disappear from the list when I would refresh. When it restarted, it would take me like 5 or 10 minutes to get back in. It was one of the few servers that wasn't 18:00+ though, and I didn't feel like playing at night.

Edited by Tatanko

I today tried to smack a zed with a splitting axe and the zed attacked me causing the two models to colide but when my axe was sung it's head was behind the Zed and the hit was not registered. I can axe and punch players much easier then I can hit a zed.

I today tried to smack a zed with a splitting axe and the zed attacked me causing the two models to colide but when my axe was sung it's head was behind the Zed and the hit was not registered. I can axe and punch players much easier then I can hit a zed.

Hit boxes are bugged.  You'll have better luck hitting AI\players from behind.  100% success rate.

Also I noticed that when I drink from a bottle or canteen without space to go prone you won't complete the drink action. and that everytime I drunk it has thrown me into prone.

• Like 1

Also I noticed that when I drink from a bottle or canteen without space to go prone you won't complete the drink action. and that everytime I drunk it has thrown me into prone.

Noticed this too.

As for zombie hit boxes, yes, they seem to have reduced them, but I still have no problem at all killing them. I strafe and circle around them like I always did, but a bit closer, and it still works like a charm.

Only if you dont mind the effort :).

Doesn't took me that much effort, i can tell you, it's pretty the same like on hardcore. I didn't noticed any difference.

I dont think placing junk items on top of a respawn point stops loot from respawning. Does not appear to work that way. I think they have just turned the respawn mechanism to be much slower.

Also I half suspect that once the loot limit of a server is reached that items then begin to despawn so new ones can spawn but not sure at what rate that goes either it could be just one item at a time and that could be what is driving the respawns now 

Well, junkitems def. stop respawning loot - at least if the "junkitem" is a item wich could also spawn on that location.

My series of tests showed me the following:

I picked a single building where only 1 item at time can spawn. By pickin up that item, instantly another item respawned, by pickin that up, instantly another item respawned. This lootcycle-respawn goes so on...

BUT, if u drop one of those items on the ground in radius of at least 800m from that spawnpoint (didn't tried to carry it farther) - there will no item respawn in that location. If someone (or you) now pick that item you dropped, BAM - instant respawn on the location.

Maybe, but i couldn't verify this yet - a item will spawn after a looong time (more then 60minutes) even if a dropped item is still in the radius.

Summary: If a item is deployed in a unknown radius (more then ~800m) around a lootlocation, there either won't spawn a new item or it takes more then 60 minutes. If the item is picked up and stays on the body or in storage (backpack etc.) there will instantly respawn another item.

And i'm talkin about a single building with no surroundings at least 1km, imaging that system on a town with lotta junkitems you probably know how big the chance is there is gonna respawn anything.

Just my experience so far.

Edited by Guest

Is there a trick to firing the CZ527? Got a mag and the gun together, at long last, and tried to save my ass from a hopper with it and it wouldn't fire. At first I thought I had the LMB bug, but relogged and tried my axe. Worked fine. Switched to the CZ527 and nope, wont fire. Does the CZ527 have a safety we don't know about or something?

Hmm, I just realized I painted it. Is that old Mosin bug now present on the CZ?

I filed a bug report on this. It is happening to unpainted CR527s as well.

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=15048

Good to know..

I hope they make loot respawns not dependent on junk in the area but instead have like an hour cooldown on when to spawn or something.

It should be instant ever since that can be exploited but if it is tracking in a radius for other items that are junk and then not spawning then very few items will spawn

In large areas like NWAF to get loot to respawned you will haveing to truck gear out of there and dispose of it and then come back....only to find someone else most likely took the item

Doesn't took me that much effort, i can tell you, it's pretty the same like on hardcore. I didn't noticed any difference.

Well, junkitems def. stop respawning loot - at least if the "junkitem" is a item wich could also spawn on that location.

My series of tests showed me the following:

I picked a single building where only 1 item at time can spawn. By pickin up that item, instantly another item respawned, by pickin that up, instantly another item respawned. This lootcycle-respawn goes so on...

BUT, if u drop one of those items on the ground in radius of at least 800m from that spawnpoint (didn't tried to carry it farther) - there will no item respawn in that location. If someone (or you) now pick that item you dropped, BAM - instant respawn on the location.

Maybe, but i couldn't verify this yet - a item will spawn after a looong time (more then 60minutes) even if a dropped item is still in the radius.

Summary: If a item is deployed in a unknown radius (more then ~800m) around a lootlocation, there either won't spawn a new item or it takes more then 60 minutes. If the item is picked up and stays on the body or in storage (backpack etc.) there will instantly respawn another item.

And i'm talkin about a single building with no surroundings at least 1km, imaging that system on a town with lotta junkitems you probably know how big the chance is there is gonna respawn anything.

Just my experience so far.

Omg this loot mechanic is really bad, it explains a lot.. Also does persistent itens affect this? I mean, persistent junk like jeans pants and flashlights that prevents loot from respawning even after a server restart, or something like this.

Omg this loot mechanic is really bad, it explains a lot.. Also does persistent itens affect this? I mean, persistent junk like jeans pants and flashlights that prevents loot from respawning even after a server restart, or something like this.

Yes. For example, on the location i tested it a chemlight layed on the ground. I put my pants down and took the chemlight, nothing happend. As soon as i took my pants a potatoe respawned.

Guess it's all about clearing the so called persistent items after a given time. Well it's WIP and they have to tweak it here and there, also i have no clue if they might just added that system for singlebuildings and have it workin in another way on a city.

Edited by Guest

Yes. For example, on the location i tested it a chemlight layed on the ground. I put my pants down and took the chemlight, nothing happend. As soon as i took my pants a potatoe respawned.

Guess it's all about clearing the so called persistent items after a given time. Well it's WIP and they have to tweak it here and there, also i have no clue if they might just added that system for singlebuildings and have it workin in another way on a city.

I would say it is still grid based. On many servers the tents at NWAF are completely empty no loot respawning in them at all....if the loot has been picked clean then it must be respawning elsewhere

I would say it is still grid based. On many servers the tents at NWAF are completely empty no loot respawning in them at all....if the loot has been picked clean then it must be respawning elsewhere

Pretty sure it's grid based. Refering to your example, the tents picked clean - but in the same grid are probably way more locations (jailhouse, barracks, firestation, ATC, hangars, woods, streets) with still enuff junkitems/loot preventing new loot spawning at tents.

I said every item dropped to the ground by a player should have set half-life period, after that, the item should despawn.

Edited by Guest

Hmm I understand, thanks for clearing that up for me man. Yes a loot of work is still needed, but I belive we might be going in the right direction. I'm eager to see what solution they will come up with for larger cities.

Thanks a lot h0nkx, that explains much and it's even worse than I thought (800m radius -> omg)! 

Edit: Imaging someone hide a hunter backpack as stash in a tree almost invisible for others and that tree is not even 800m away from barracks or other important loot spawning buildings. Nice gameplay...

Edited by Sharplooter

Thanks a lot h0nkx, that explains much and it's even worse than I thought (800m radius -> omg)! 

Edit: Imaging someone hide a hunter backpack as stash in a tree almost invisible for others and that tree is not even 800m away from barracks or other important loot spawning buildings. Nice gameplay...

Please don't nail me on that 800m - i just meassured it on dayzdb and it was "just" 500m. I might wanna give it a try later this day and see if i can find the correct distance triggerin a respawn.

Doesnt matter if it is 800m or not, even only 100-200m would be as ridiculous as 800m. That spawn/game mechanic at all would be bullshit if it's intended.  

The simple old mechanic from the mod isn't that bad...

Before devs try to prevent farming at all like in the mod they should better solve the dup abusing, thats way more important imo because farming can be risky and takes much more work/time than simple duplication.

Edited by Sharplooter
  • Like 2

Doesnt matter if it is 800m or not, even only 100-200m would be as ridiculous as 800m. That spawn/game mechanic at all would be bullshit if it's intended.  

The simple old mechanic from the mod isn't that bad...

Before devs try to prevent farming at all like in the mod they should better solve the dup abusing, thats way more important imo because farming can be risky and takes much more work/time than simple duplication.

i dunno the farming that was done last patch was pretty darn abusive and also worked wonders for hunting loot hungry survivors lol

There were 1000s of pieces of gear in Vybor base after a week...

I think we need a loot system that does not require you to actually remove something for it to respawn. This way there is no farming. You have to wait til the loot respawns after a fixed amount of time kinda like what was done with resets but instead of resetting all loot just add loot to a spot without loot already. 

This way the loot spawns in one of two places:

1. The spot that was looted an hour ago

2. An alternate spot that had not already spawned loot

What is happening now is loot is insta spawning on top of other loot sometimes. This means a crashed truck no one loots at NWAF could have 10 boxes of cereal in the back meanwhile the tents are empty for example.

The loot is getting clogged and not respawning cause no one is going to loot 10 boxes of cereal. In reality the truck has maybe 3 possible spawn points and once those 3 are filled nothing new should be able to spawn there until someone takes the cereal. This way loot can respawn in the tents/other areas.

my 2 cents but has been fun this expieremental is one of the best I have been a part of.