crazykage

Some Constructive Criticism about developemental direction: (WARNING! LONG POST!)

-great wall of text-

Just going to point out at the start of this post that I'm not going to be reading all of the replies to this thread because I'm sure there are probably some rather heated debates in progress and I don't really care to read all of the "LOL TL;DR" posts. Thus there's a chance that someone mentioned something that I'm about to mention but I'd have no idea, and so I apologize in advance.

Anyway, I read through the entirety of your post and with exception to the fact I feel you may be over-reacting a little  too much to some features when you even reminded yourself that the game is expected to have things that do not make sense at this stage I feel you did a good job constructively telling everyone what you think. I'd like to touch on a few that you mentioned;

In response to the consideration of nudity/excrement, that is because if someone can come up with an idea that has not been considered before and can give some solid reasons behind it (In this case, realism) then there's no reason for it to not be CONSIDERED. It is at that stage that we can then start picking it apart for reasons such as "A lot of people would find it graphically unsettling", or "It will always be used in a manner against what it was intended for" and of course the idea would be shot down or possibly even revised to counter those reasons. But there's no reason not to consider it because if it can be justified then we should at least see what other people think about it.

I agree for the most part with the ballistics system, attachments that magically improve your gun in nonsensical ways especially irk me, however calling it offensive and such really is an over-reaction, I feel. You should avoid making it sound as though the devs have thrown it in and said "Pfft, they won't be able to tell the difference. Losers." since it makes it appear moreso as a rant than criticism. I know that's not how you intended to come across but then again everyone isn't me.

I would comment on the rest however I can't really provide you with an accurate response as it'd hinge on features that aren't out yet so I can't really say how correct or incorrect you are. I feel that with a stamina system, using weight for inventories would be far better however they should keep some aspect of space (Think of Resident Evil 4's inventory system, if you will) to limit just how much you can carry, so for example you can't carry either a car engine or, say, a massive pile of shoes equivalent to the weight of a car engine. A mix of the two systems seems best so I agree with you.

Ultimately, I feel that a lot of your suggestions are conflicting on "This doesn't make the game that fun/realistic" and "We can't fully test the game and give feedback because of this aspect of the game", and I have to say that there are two ways to look at it because yes, this is an alpha, but it's one that people have still paid for, and thus would be unfair if EVERY aspect of the game was meant exclusively for getting feedback and such. You can also look at it the other way and say that even though people have paid for it, they are still well aware that it's an alpha and thus things are in the game now either as placeholders or simply to find out what works best, and some times they just won't be that fun to experience. It's a bit of both. Just like how you'd expect a game to be entirely designed for entertainment if you bought it fully released, inversely everything in the game would be designed for testing and nothing else if you were there just to test. Since you're doing a bit of both, it only makes sense for the game to have a bit of both. Sometimes that may not come out perfectly but really, nothing does.

And it's fair enough to use Space engineers as an example of how the moderators clean up everything and respond to everyone and the devs are really interactive there, however you're forgetting that the DayZ community is considerably larger. Take, for example, the fact their forums have roughly 14,000 registered members, whereas we have just over 10,000 pages of registered users, over 200,000. And considering you're aware of the "Alpha!" battlecry I can safely assume you're aware that the community isn't always exactly loving and caring. A lot of the time anything we do is taken negatively and it's hard to engage with people when they are like that. It's essentially a case of if we do something, it's censorship, and if we do nothing, it's ignorance. I'm not surprised the devs don't post here more often with people like that around. But at the very least you can find the places that they ARE posting without needing to register to those websites by using the DevTracker.

Anyway, you made some good points and I can only hope that in the future the game can progress to a point that can completely satisfy both yourself and as much of the community as possible.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 3

Because they're two entirely different issues.

I mean, I can understand why people seem to question the progress, but that doesn't mean it's correct.

Imagine time traveling back to the 1200s, and demonstrating all of the modern technology we have. We have flying machines that can break the sound barrier and travel miles into the air, space ships that can take us to the moon, submarine ships that can travel to some of the deepest depths, massive bombs that can annihilate entire cities in seconds.... but we still have no effective cure for the common cold. That would be incredibly surprising to someone from that time, assuming they didn't just burn you at the stake for witchcraft.

The teams who work on new content are separate from the teams who work on fixing the bugs. The artists aren't just going to stop making new models and graphics because there are some annoying bugs or issues in the game, they have to keep working.

Many of the issues you're complaining about have been addressed anyway.

• Ambient sounds were caused by a bug with how sound transmitted from zombie AI and reloading, but I haven't experienced it for a while so I'd assumed it has been fixed.
  • The zombie pathfinding has been addressed and is being worked on, the reason it didn't work was because the zombies can't detect where solid objects are and the game doesn't have active collision for them, hence why they run through them. They're working on a navmesh build that should completely stop zombies from running into or through anything they're not supposed to, and improve pathfinding tenfold.
  • Suppressors are broken because there's problems with trying to get the gun to switch sound effects and work differently after the suppressor attachment has been added. This issue didn't exist in ArmA 2 because attachments weren't a thing. That, and it's a low priority issue (which is another reason why some progress gets slowed, because the team focuses on larger issues and the smaller ones get pushed back)
  • The terrible control response time & desync are both part of the same issue, and it's something that's plagued the engine and Bohemia's servers since Operation Flashpoint, it's not strictly to do with DayZ. That's why the team is so focused on optimization, because servers with large amounts of stress on them tend to just desync instead of actually lagging, since it is a serverside issue, not a clientside one. Still, it's being worked on, that's all I can say.

THIS^ ALL of these issues are like those I mentioned in the beginning of my op: they can ALL be attributed to the fact that the game is in alpha. They are mostly bugs (which would be fixed during BETA), and they are not in and of themselves parts of the game's core design and gameplay concepts like ballistics or inventory. IE. they are bugs, not design decisions.

• Like 1

saw that, didn't get a chance to redress my post here. was too busy catching up on all the interesting posts that cropped up. LOTS of interesting view points. I gotta stop giving fucks (beans), or I am literally going to run out of fucks to give (can only hand out so many beans per day).

So many valid points, for and against mine and others views. I read a post, and say "Damn. Good point!", and then I read a response and say "FUCK! He's got a point too!".

The debate here is HEATED, but civil. Thank you everyone.

• Like 2

The debate here is HEATED, but civil. Thank you everyone.

Sometimes we control ourselves..other times it is just monkeys screeching and throwing shit at the walls :D

• Like 2

• Ambient sounds were caused by a bug with how sound transmitted from zombie AI and reloading, but I haven't experienced it for a while so I'd assumed it has been fixed.

This isn't fixed. It still occurs on Experimental. I think they just deactivated all reload sounds. I haven't heard my gun reload in a while... maybe it is just my PC, though.

Just going to point out at the start of this post that I'm not going to be reading all of the replies to this thread because I'm sure there are probably some rather heated debates in progress and I don't really care to read all of the "LOL TL;DR" posts. Thus there's a chance that someone mentioned something that I'm about to mention but I'd have no idea, and so I apologize in advance.

Anyway, I read through the entirety of your post and with exception to the fact I feel you may be over-reacting a little  too much to some features when you even reminded yourself that the game is expected to have things that do not make sense at this stage I feel you did a good job constructively telling everyone what you think. I'd like to touch on a few that you mentioned;

In response to the consideration of nudity/excrement, that is because if someone can come up with an idea that has not been considered before and can give some solid reasons behind it (In this case, realism) then there's no reason for it to not be CONSIDERED. It is at that stage that we can then start picking it apart for reasons such as "A lot of people would find it graphically unsettling", or "It will always be used in a manner against what it was intended for" and of course the idea would be shot down or possibly even revised to counter those reasons. But there's no reason not to consider it because if it can be justified then we should at least see what other people think about it.

I agree for the most part with the ballistics system, attachments that magically improve your gun in nonsensical ways especially irk me, however calling it offensive and such really is an over-reaction, I feel. You should avoid making it sound as though the devs have thrown it in and said "Pfft, they won't be able to tell the difference. Losers." since it makes it appear moreso as a rant than criticism. I know that's not how you intended to come across but then again everyone isn't me.

I would comment on the rest however I can't really provide you with an accurate response as it'd hinge on features that aren't out yet so I can't really say how correct or incorrect you are. I feel that with a stamina system, using weight for inventories would be far better however they should keep some aspect of space (Think of Resident Evil 4's inventory system, if you will) to limit just how much you can carry, so for example you can't carry either a car engine or, say, a massive pile of shoes equivalent to the weight of a car engine. A mix of the two systems seems best so I agree with you.

Ultimately, I feel that a lot of your suggestions are conflicting on "This doesn't make the game that fun/realistic" and "We can't fully test the game and give feedback because of this aspect of the game", and I have to say that there are two ways to look at it because yes, this is an alpha, but it's one that people have still paid for, and thus would be unfair if EVERY aspect of the game was meant exclusively for getting feedback and such. You can also look at it the other way and say that even though people have paid for it, they are still well aware that it's an alpha and thus things are in the game now either as placeholders or simply to find out what works best, and some times they just won't be that fun to experience. It's a bit of both. Just like how you'd expect a game to be entirely designed for entertainment if you bought it fully released, inversely everything in the game would be designed for testing and nothing else if you were there just to test. Since you're doing a bit of both, it only makes sense for the game to have a bit of both. Sometimes that may not come out perfectly but really, nothing does.

And it's fair enough to use Space engineers as an example of how the moderators clean up everything and respond to everyone and the devs are really interactive there, however you're forgetting that the DayZ community is considerably larger. Take, for example, the fact their forums have roughly 14,000 registered members, whereas we have just over 10,000 pages of registered users, over 200,000. And considering you're aware of the "Alpha!" battlecry I can safely assume you're aware that the community isn't always exactly loving and caring. A lot of the time anything we do is taken negatively and it's hard to engage with people when they are like that. It's essentially a case of if we do something, it's censorship, and if we do nothing, it's ignorance. I'm not surprised the devs don't post here more often with people like that around. But at the very least you can find the places that they ARE posting without needing to register to those websites by using the DevTracker.

Anyway, you made some good points and I can only hope that in the future the game can progress to a point that can completely satisfy both yourself and as much of the community as possible.

Actually, amazingly, the thread has been surprisingly clean of such trollish behavior, and I SHIT you not, NOT ONE FUCKING PERSON said "tl/dr". I JUST realized that when you mentioned it, and I am STUNNED.....

But anyway, YOU read the entirety of my post (THANK you), so I did you the courtesy of reading all of yours, and....fuck me, you make some damned good points.

But I remain concerned (EMPHASIS: CONCERNED. not panicked, crazed, and plucking out my eyballs with a sledge hammer). Most of the issues I addressed, it seems to me, should have been planned from the beginning! Ballistics is arbitrary, inventory is arbitrary, feels drastically oversimplified, WHYUNO MAKECOMPASS&MAP, etc....

I honestly feel like these things should have been common sense, and should have been planned for from the beginning while people were still up at 3am around a meeting room table, drinking prodigious amounts of caffeinated beverages while they took notes and tossed around ideas, before the first "1" or "0" in the lines of code was even TYPED.

But then, I do have to remind myself that I may know what it is that developers do.....but I don't KNOW what it is that they DO. Just like being a civie and knowing what the military does, until you get in and you learn that its Military, not military, that Marines aren't soldiers, they ARE a department of the Navy (the men's department), and no, nobody else holds a candle. Then you meet some Army sold'ja bois that did some shit that puts everything YOU did to shame, and gives you some perspective. Long story short, you don't KNOW what its all about until you've done it.

And fuck me, I just realized, Dean Hall HAS done them both! lol.

still concerned tho. but only cause I care.

EDIT: damn its 0124 am. I am tired. going to seelp. Ill be back in the....later, to continue the discussion.

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 1

Actually, amazingly, the thread has been surprisingly clean of such trollish behavior, and I SHIT you not, NOT ONE FUCKING PERSON said "tl/dr". I JUST realized that when you mentioned it, and I am STUNNED.....

But anyway, YOU read the entirety of my post (THANK you), so I did you the courtesy of reading all of yours, and....fuck me, you make some damned good points.

But I remain concerned (EMPHASIS: CONCERNED. not panicked, crazed, and plucking out my eyballs with a sledge hammer). Most of the issues I addressed, it seems to me, should have been planned from the beginning! Ballistics is arbitrary, inventory is arbitrary, feels drastically oversimplified, WHYUNO MAKECOMPASS&MAP, etc....

I honestly feel like these things should have been common sense, and should have been planned for from the beginning while people were still up at 3am around a meeting room table, drinking prodigious amounts of caffeinated beverages while they took notes and tossed around ideas, before the first "1" or "0" in the lines of code was even TYPED.

But then, I do have to remind myself that I may know what it is that developers do.....but I don't KNOW what it is that they DO. Just like being a civie and knowing what the military does, until you get in and you learn that its Military, not military, that Marines aren't soldiers, they ARE a department of the Navy (the men's department), and no, nobody else holds a candle. Then you meet some Army sold'ja bois that did some shit that puts everything YOU did to shame, and gives you some perspective. Long story short, you don't KNOW what its all about until you've done it.

And fuck me, I just realized, Dean Hall HAS done them both! lol.

still concerned tho. but only cause I care.

A lot of the issues you had though aren't the kinda thing you could just say "We should make it do this!" and they all grab the dude meant to code it and jump on his tummy 'til the coded function pops out. Chances are they already know what they need to do, they just need to figure out how to do it. The things we have now are probably a mixture of "We don't have it yet so here's this" plus "We don't know if this works how we think it will so let's see" PLUS "This might actually be better than what we thought of so let's find out".

My ONLY concern EVER with the progress of the game is that great suggestions and posts like yours will be swamped over with stuff like "lol add rape plz xDxDxD" or stuff like that. Like I said, stuff that sounds good SHOULD be considered, it's just getting them heard. If that happens things get easier.

"lol add rape plz xDxDxD".

This is where i lol'd

tl;dr......

Just kidding, read the whole freaking essay and mostly I agree. Disagree about the need to simply ammo calibers though.

• Like 1

Hmm seeing a lot of "development slow" type posts here but it just isn't true...

They budgeted one year to include core features and lets take a look....

Hunting....IN

Navmesh.....IN

Tents.....IN

Cooking....IN

Network bubble....IN

Real Melee...IN

Loot respawn....Waiting

New renderer....Waiting

More zombies....Waiting

Vehicles....Waiting

That aint bad, more than half way through the features a little over halfway through projected alpha time. Bearing in mind the logistics and other issues involved with allocation of the funds they didn't know they would have when the project started. Some of the guys saying they have business experience should be able to understand that.

Also the budgeted a year after alpha to refine and polish the features. Now with what they have accomplished thus far plus the rest of the alpha and the beta......sorry but they are pretty much right on track. Bar the understandable delays with funds allocation.

Its simply impatience, they told us it would be a year till all features were in....it hasn't been a year yet.....they told us another year for beta.....that hasn't even started yet. No fanboi-ism in this post.... just facts :)

• Like 4

Im a member and user of the space engineers forum. I think you overestimate they're involvement in the community. Yes we get patch every thursday, but its always near unusable, and almost always requires a hotfix to simply get it working in its most basic form. Then the patch is forgotte. now the dev team have created a vicious cycle of having to release new content each week which is now demanded by the community. So each week they're leaving a trail of destruction of unfinished blocks, poor textures, models and ultimately breaking the game further patch after patch.

I do not want this for dayz.

They are lollygaggers. In no industry is it acceptable to take two months off in the middle of a project.

I actualy cant believe i just read that...

Hello there

@everyone in general. Im not happy with the "fanboi" excuse/trope being thrown around.

The reason many posters become defensive and on the attack is that many many issues have been addressed many many times in full all over the web, such as placeholder zeds/R leaving/R climbing etc etc. and it boggles the mind and sets of alarm bells when folk bring up issues, which for many, have already been solved/addressed.

Throwing out the "im not gonna listen to you cos you're a fanboi" argument to me is just flaming. I would like it to stop. Also deciding on whose answers you "approve of" is also dismissive and flamey.

Take this friendly warning for what it is.

You cant pick and choose who is worthy unless it breaks a forum rule, in which case use the report button.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

why don't rocket do one post evry week IN official forums just quick one? make explain about what is happen and new ideas what is coming and maybe say is some problem what they try fix I know evry one say 'ROCKET LOVE THE REDDIT' but I DONT LOVE REDDIT I LOVE DAYZ and I coming here for the news because is official forum but man who invent game he don't coming here??? is not making good sense

he can post same news on here AND THE REDDIT but if I am honest it make me feel a disrespect of me because I paying money to ha;lp testing in alpha beta but if I want to find the news about what is happen I am need to do internet hunt like detective, I never play mod and I am new for dayz but I think is great idea with many problem and I am interest to know what the boss of dayz is do for plan of the future and I want to find this iNformations IN THIS PLACE PLEASE not going some place name reddit

• Like 1

why don't rocket do one post evry week IN official forums just quick one? make explain about what is happen and new ideas what is coming and maybe say is some problem what they try fix I know evry one say 'ROCKET LOVE THE REDDIT' but I DONT LOVE REDDIT I LOVE DAYZ and I coming here for the news because is official forum but man who invent game he don't coming here??? is not making good sense

he can post same news on here AND THE REDDIT but if I am honest it make me feel a disrespect of me because I paying money to ha;lp testing in alpha beta but if I want to find the news about what is happen I am need to do internet hunt like detective, I never play mod and I am new for dayz but I think is great idea with many problem and I am interest to know what the boss of dayz is do for plan of the future and I want to find this iNformations IN THIS PLACE PLEASE not going some place name reddit

I agree with this. Not everyone are internet freaks and follow all available social media, sharing points and other gathering places. The official forum should be the place for official news from the developement team.

• Like 1

I agree with this. Not everyone are internet freaks and follow all available social media, sharing points and other gathering places.

That's why we have the DevTracker.

Everything is there, on these forums, and soon we will have a better version that will filter out the irrelevant stuff.

• Like 2

I agree with this. Not everyone are internet freaks and follow all available social media, sharing points and other gathering places. The official forum should be the place for official news from the developement team.

Hello there

Dont forget that Smashts devtracker on this very forum shows all dev tweets and reddit posts.

Rgds

LoK

ninja.

• Like 3

On one had I have been made to understand that developing a game takes a lot of manhours and time but on the other hand I am not impressed by what they have come up with so far. Especially given the fact that most of the assets already exist in the DayZ mod which seems to be the exact same game.

Perhaps it is my simplistic mind but you'd think the game would have surpassed the mod right from the get-go simply because the ideas, models and whatnot were already there.

But here, on the official forums, you are nearly nonexistent. I DO understand using reddit, facebook, and twitter, etc. to reach a vast number of people. It’s a smart thing to do. But why should I have to go there for simple updates? I hear about tent implementation here first, but only because another user quoted a reddit post! Why are you not an active part of the discussion HERE, as well as there?

They're working on that, though. Creating a better same system and everything.

• Like 1

Im a member and user of the space engineers forum. I think you overestimate they're involvement in the community. Yes we get patch every thursday, but its always near unusable, and almost always requires a hotfix to simply get it working in its most basic form. Then the patch is forgotte. now the dev team have created a vicious cycle of having to release new content each week which is now demanded by the community. So each week they're leaving a trail of destruction of unfinished blocks, poor textures, models and ultimately breaking the game further patch after patch.

Its pretty much this...Its the "the grass looks better in that garden"

I mean everybody would like that but they are different teams with differents approaches.

+1 to the discussion, i thought it was going to turn into a hate war after the first page. It is really interesting

On one had I have been made to understand that developing a game takes a lot of manhours and time but on the other hand I am not impressed by what they have come up with so far. Especially given the fact that most of the assets already exist in the DayZ mod which seems to be the exact same game.

Perhaps it is my simplistic mind but you'd think the game would have surpassed the mod right from the get-go simply because the ideas, models and whatnot were already there.

They're working on that, though. Creating a better same system and everything.

Hello there

If DAYZ were simply mod Mk II you would have seen vast changes, but there would still be the same limits and issues that plagued the Mod to a large degree.

You dont have a simplistic mind but you may not perceive the full picture. :)

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Wait, Im not sure of that. I would rather see zero patches in the first place at all unless they have reasonably tested them on experimental. I would be fine with one patch every 6 months because it would not break parts of the game and give them more time to work.

Well, Looks like there is a Party in here! ;D 
A lot of Good Comments (both for and against Dayz), but I also Wish some were more Balanced and non Attack/defensive
(and a few funny troll comments would hit the spot )

Development is Slow, but its progressing, I love the map work that has been put into it recently, I was Very Worried in Closed alpha when you had 10 x2 lines of Wrecks on the airfields, the floating castles, Or the creation of what appears to be my grandma that was created when you hopped in vehicles before they were removed 

hqdefault.jpg

However, those issues along with countless others were fixed, I remember them being adressed not long after the mantis dev tracker was setup.
it was a nightmare when it was first publicly released, mainly because they all needed to have a little break after working for just over a year straight, leaving poor Hicks to man the fort.

There were a few things that might have been overly ambitious, that could have been changed to make the game more smooth, such as having zombies Client side using R4Z0R's Edited code, and then implementing them server side when they were ready.

For ironing out bugs, its a Two pronged problem, For issues to be fixed, there needs to be testing done to experiment with different ways of fixing the issue, and then time to fix the issues created with that fix, which would lead to some people doing things such as Stupid hats

and that leads to the issue of Creating Shiny things, instead of fixing the game, of course people such as Modelers and textures have nothing else they can do apart from making things however.

I feel the biggest problem people have, is the comparison between the mod and SA, although things need to be taken into consideration
The mod was a mod of a fully (but Buggy) game and pushed the engine abilities to its extreme

The mod has everything SA should have and more

The Mod is still the place to go to for The old Dayz Feels that everyone had back when vanilla was popular (although I now filll that gaping hole with Breaking point) 

I remember the mods development from when I started playing in July 2012, it was really bad at first, but it was the potential that was there, the interaction with other players, nothing can beat the early feels that were had.

And its the frustration when comparing the mod to the dreams everyone had for SA which caused peoples issues.

But once again "alphaaaaaaa"
I remember the Hour long Debate and Discussion that the Rocket, BI Dev's and testers had for the games release on skype, However despite most saying that it wasn't ready, the game needed to be released due to various reasons, ideally yes the game should have come out around this time, but unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world 

Ending my wall of text (It feels weird when it's not a Troll post :( ) 

There is a lot of frustration on the game (even more so with the new buggy update)
There is no real Purpose to the game currently, its basically a forced PvP game (from how I view it), since there isn't much else to do currently due to the lack of objects that players can place, (such as tents or cars) and the only PvE thing that's possible is to Wack a few zombies over the head, until the nasty floor zombie midgets get you, or go hunting for some meat to burn in the fire
And the forced PvP combined with the terrible ballistics and guns that are even more clunky than the mod make it undesirable to do 
Granted I don't care much for PvE, I would much rather listen to someone cry because I shot them while they were adding "phat lootz" to their tents and then using an Axe to destroy said tents, or take everything and full it with empty tin cans.

SA will become the game we want to play like how the mod used to be

but it is not this day..

Edited by Star Thornberry

SA will become the game we want to play like how the mod used to be

but it is not this day..

Can you please read this aloud in this voice.

morgan-freeman-223x300.jpg

• Like 4

Hmm seeing a lot of "development slow" type posts here but it just isn't true...

They budgeted one year to include core features and lets take a look....

Hunting....IN

Navmesh.....IN

Tents.....IN

Cooking....IN

Network bubble....IN

Real Melee...IN

Loot respawn....Waiting

New renderer....Waiting

More zombies....Waiting

Vehicles....Waiting

That aint bad, more than half way through the features a little over halfway through projected alpha time. Bearing in mind the logistics and other issues involved with allocation of the funds they didn't know they would have when the project started. Some of the guys saying they have business experience should be able to understand that.

Also the budgeted a year after alpha to refine and polish the features. Now with what they have accomplished thus far plus the rest of the alpha and the beta......sorry but they are pretty much right on track. Bar the understandable delays with funds allocation.

Its simply impatience, they told us it would be a year till all features were in....it hasn't been a year yet.....they told us another year for beta.....that hasn't even started yet. No fanboi-ism in this post.... just facts :)

you forgot basebuilding which is a very important part of the game.

I would'nt say that zombies are in the game. It have been said so many times that they are placeholders, so we are not just waiting for more zombies. We are waiting for zombies in general.