TimF

Poll - Why aren't people playing hardcore mode

I hardly play DayZ but when I do I mix it. That will change once the game is finished it will be HC all the way. I also don't have an issue with the controls - when i turn my mouse my AV turns and I can work out how much i need to turn to go in the direction I want

You shouldn't post when you're high.

[...]

This thread is quickly deteriorating into a hive for some of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Now, apparently Regular is the hard mode, and Hardcore is the easy mode.

Hell, I'm high and I still can't follow the logic in most of these posts. Are you saying I'm not getting good shit?

Yep, definitely sounds like hardcore players are more polite. :P

It's about helping players and not kill them for fun. The words if chose have nothing to do with being polite. Name it harsh. I'm ok being harsh as long as i'm polite.

So obviously there is less risk when looking over walls in third person, is there not?

When you look from first-person, you need to look around corners, hence you can get shot in the face.

No such risk when looking over a wall in third person.

So you would say it is just as safe to get shot in the face as it is to stick a camera above a wall? Obviously, there is not much of value to the object they would be shooting at in your case but for most people, that does not apply.

In other words:

1st person = hard mode

3rd person = easy mode

Just to make sure we're on the same page here.

Ah, that explains what I ended up in! Signing out.

no one is denying there's less risk for the one peeking over/around the wall and seeing a player running up to it.. or the one who's gonna peek over it once he gets there lol

when you make up things like that it seems like you're grasping at straws.

now once you reach that wall and the peeker knows you're coming, he's gonna be half prepared for what comes next. but guess what? now that you've reached the wall you have the same ability to see him waiting there. so now you're prepared to engage someone waiting for you. if you choose to.

but let's say you play with more integrity than to stoop so low as that. would you blindly run up to that tall building/wall/corner knowing that someone has the ability, that everyone one on that server has, to be able to see you coming?

no, I think you'd plan and play accordingly.

sometimes I like to play like that.. challenge myself on a 3pp server and not peek.

but I know full well that someone might be around that corner waiting for me.. and if they kill me through better shooting, luck of the dispersion or just plain bein' a bad ass player.. well good for them.

but if he used 3pp and got me that way you won't hear me coming to the forums to pout about it.. or cry about it at all. not when I had the same opportunity to 3pp just like him.

and if I want to play where no one has that ability guess where I go?

it's not a handicap, and calling it unfair when everyone can do the same thing just makes a person look like a cry baby.

• Like 1

1st person is obnoxious, if 3rd person goes away, many people will go away as well. I don't even use it to look over walls, 1st is just annoying.

no one is denying there's less risk for the one peeking over/around the wall and seeing a player running up to it.. or the one who's gonna peek over it once he gets there lol

when you make up things like that it seems like you're grasping at straws.

now once you reach that wall and the peeker knows you're coming, he's gonna be half prepared for what comes next. but guess what? now that you've reached the wall you have the same ability to see him waiting there. so now you're prepared to engage someone waiting for you. if you choose to.

but let's say you play with more integrity than to stoop so low as that. would you blindly run up to that tall building/wall/corner knowing that someone has the ability, that everyone one on that server has, to be able to see you coming?

no, I think you'd plan and play accordingly.

sometimes I like to play like that.. challenge myself on a 3pp server and not peek.

but I know full well that someone might be around that corner waiting for me.. and if they kill me through better shooting, luck of the dispersion or just plain bein' a bad ass player.. well good for them.

but if he used 3pp and got me that way you won't hear me coming to the forums to pout about it.. or cry about it at all. not when I had the same opportunity to 3pp just like him.

and if I want to play where no one has that ability guess where I go?

it's not a handicap, and calling it unfair when everyone can do the same thing just makes a person look like a cry baby.

Reading a post like this makes me laugh. You either legitimately don't get it or are just defending cheap gameplay.

SITUATION:

You're camping on top of the fire station in north-west airfield with a Mosin equipped with a long range scope. The only area in which you can be counter-sniped is the tree line to your east that you can see perfectly. You can't be hit or even spotted from anywhere else on the airfield. You can see your entire surroundings without having to peek, as you can see over the ledge.

Anyone coming along will have no idea you're there. You can pop out whenever you please to blow them away. If they decide to be cautious and flank east into the tree line, they're still under constant surveillance and can be taken out at your leisure.

Yep, that's balanced. Totally.

If you were to do this in first person, you'd have to peek from time to gain information of your surroundings. This would leave you open to being spotted and potentially sniped. Crazy, right?

Take defending a building for another example. You're sitting behind a corner watching the front door of any given building in third person able to see what's going on around the corner. The guy approaching the building has no idea you're there, and even if he did, he'd be at a severe disadvantage as he'd have no idea if/when you were going to pop out and waste him.

In first person, the playing field is more level as the person defending has to decide whether he's going to peek for intel, or post up and play the angle. Someone breeching who knows how to "slice the pie" would still be at a slight disadvantage, but at least a realistic one.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1

You shouldn't post when you're high.

It's called Hardcore because playing in 1st person requires more spatial awareness, better tactics and quicker gun play.

This thread is quickly deteriorating into a hive for some of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Now, apparently Regular is the hard mode, and Hardcore is the easy mode.

Seriously, my mind is blown. What some people will say to defend their position is hilarious.

I have zero issues playing in either mode. I don't know how zombies or other players sneak up on you in Hardcore. Apparently your headset sucks. I don't know why so many people complain about FOV in Hardcore; it's almost EXACTLY the same. Seriously, switch between the two and watch as you're magically able to see another half centimeter on your screen. You can't see your surroundings? Then hold your ALT key, morons. 1st person doesn't represent your peripheral vision in real life? NEITHER DOES ANY OTHER FIRST PERSON GAME. Your peripheral vision also doesn't allow you to see around corners or over ledges, either. Crazy, right?

Honestly, /facepalm.

I honestly don't care either way. I am just sick of these types of threads being started by people trying to get rid of 3PP mode because it is more popular than 1PP mode and wanted to rile you 1PP elitists a bit.

But for real. Go away with these complaints. Rocket already said that 3PP mode isn't going away. Drop it.

It doesn't aim to be as realistic as possible. It aims to be as AUTHENTIC as possible. If you want realism ask to be banned by Battle Eye when you die, because guess what. There's no respawns in real life.

Oh for fuck sake authenticity and realism ARE THE EXACT SAME THING. Jesus Christ read a dictionary...

So many people here say that like it means a different thing.

Realism = authentic =realism

Like explain the difference, guns using the correct ammo is authentic, like real life. That's authenticity.

It's also realistic to use the correct ammo, REALISM.

EDIT if anyone else said that I haven't read through the past few pages so whatever.

Edited by UltimateGentleman
  • Like 2

I honestly don't care either way. I am just sick of these types of threads being started by people trying to get rid of 3PP mode because it is more popular than 1PP mode and wanted to rile you 1PP elitists a bit.

But for real. Go away with these complaints. Rocket already said that 3PP mode isn't going away. Drop it.

Boy it sure hurts when people hit you square in the face with facts, doesn't it? All we're doing is simply countering why people say they think 3pp is more to their liking. I mean it really doesn't give you much more of a FOV unless you're right against a building, and the only reason it does it because it let's you see things you normally wouldn't see, and hey, that's cool, we all like to know more, right? I can dig that.

But this whole idea of people who say "Well I like it because it's balanced"....and then we explain how incredibly UNbalanced it is, you simply say that we're "elitists" and think you're "babycore". It's the straight go-to defense every single time. 

Part of the problem is that most people nowadays have been indoctrinated into thinking that being persuaded to like something else is WRONG! You aren't allowed to change your opinions of something EVER. I love hardcore, so therefor I would like to present an argument to persuade people to stop playing 3pp and come play 1pp. I mean is there a problem with that? That's really all I want to do, and I'm sure Rick feels the same way. I mean we all love DayZ and I'm sure if you encountered someone who didn't enjoy it or hasn't played you would present him with a point of view in an attempt to at the very least convince him of how awesome it is, right? Same could be really said for anything anyone is passionate about. In no way whatsoever have I mocked ANYONE (at least I don't think I have. I'm such a salty bastard sometimes it's easy to forget) in this thread for playing one versus the other. I simply have provided factual statements contrary to those of people making claims for 3pp vs. 1pp. Notice when people said "that's how I prefer to play and I don't know why...it just is" I didn't blast them for having a preference.

However, if you're going to sit there and tell us 3pp is balanced, again, it's a whole new ball game, and please be prepared to defend your (in my opinion) ridiculous idea

So why don't some of you try to branch out and discover the reasons why 1pp is a way more potentially awesome style of play than 3pp, and be open to a discussion about why maybe what you think is right is wrong, and maybe even convince me that I'm wrong. Some of you here need to stop associating logical discourse and discussion with vitriol and "Attacking your opinion!" 100% of the time. If you like 3pp and give us reasons, be prepared to defend them. Same thing with 1pp and my views. Anyone is allowed to challenge me on anything they want anytime they like, because it's the internet and I can't stop them from doing so. So please...welcome to the real world, where people will ask you questions based off of your beliefs and you sometimes have to back it up if you want to convince someone your way is ideal.

misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean.pn

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 3

for fucks sake rick.. don't go running into the airfield if you think there's a peeker up there.. don't sleepwalk through doorways or around corners.

if it's such a filthy play style then why are you on regular? and if you don't play regular servers then why the fuck do you care if it's available or not and you know it won't change?

whine posts like yours truly make me laugh.. you're the vegetarian going into the steak house, knowing they serve steak., then bitching and moaning because people are eating steak!

man up and accept that people will use 3pp on regular severs and quit whimpering like a kicked puppy over it.. or play on hardcore servers and let the "easy mode" people play "easy mode"..

which one you gonna do?

for fucks sake rick.. don't go running into the airfield if you think there's a peeker up there.. don't sleepwalk through doorways or around corners.

if it's such a filthy play style then why are you on regular? and if you don't play regular servers then why the fuck do you care if it's available or not and you know it won't change?

whine posts like yours truly make me laugh.. you're the vegetarian going into the steak house, knowing they serve steak., then bitching and moaning because people are eating steak!

man up and accept that people will use 3pp on regular severs and quit whimpering like a kicked puppy over it.. or play on hardcore servers and let the "easy mode" people play "easy mode"..

which one you gonna do?

and this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about that makes discussions like these impossible sometimes lol.

Did you even read my post? I bet you didn't, did you...our goal is not to shame you into playing 1pp. We are trying to present our argument in a logical fashion as to convince people that 1pp is the ideal playstyle...is this an issue? Clearly, because you seem to be taking this a bit personally.

• Like 1

which one you gonna do?

Neither. I play both. I enjoy both. I haven't told anyone they shouldn't play Regular. I jumped in on this thread when people started making the dumbass claim that Regular is balanced.

Of course, if you'd read the thread from page one with any level of comprehension, you'd realize that. I've logged more hours on Regular in the past two weeks than I have on Hardcore servers simply because Hardcore servers are very rarely full.

Great post btw, had me on the edge of my seat the whole read. I literally felt scared for my safety irl. 9.2/10!

EDIT: How would you surmise whether or not there was a "peeker" at an otherwise quiet airfield if he never peeked? Call Miss Cleo?

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1

Just from my perspective?

3rd person, and hence regular, is more fun for me when I'm with a group of people.  I can keep track of where they're at, and things in general are just more relaxed with 3rd person, allowing us to joke around a bit and simply have fun.

But when I'm playing on my own?  I prefer the 1st person, and hence hardcore.  The suspense is just all the more there that way, and I'm able to get a lot more out of the gameplay in general.

But that's just me and my perspective / opinion.  As it is, I like having the options which are in place. 

Simply speaking:

Hardcore when soloing, regular when with friends.

and this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about that makes discussions like these impossible sometimes lol.

Did you even read my post? I bet you didn't, did you...our goal is not to shame you into playing 1pp. We are trying to present our argument in a logical fashion as to convince people that 1pp is the ideal playstyle...is this an issue? Clearly, because you seem to be taking this a bit personally.

You can't ever convince 3PP players that 1PP is the ideal playstyle. Just like they'll never convince you that 3PP is better.

Like I said before it's all a matter of personal preference and opinion.

You can't ever convince 3PP players that 1PP is the ideal playstyle. Just like they'll never convince you that 3PP is better.

Like I said before it's all a matter of personal preference and opinion.

False. If you approach a point of view with a closed mind and are not open to discussion, yes, convincing someone of your point of view is impossible. However, please don't try to project your close minded-ness on me. I have also been playing 3pp lately and enjoy it, but 1pp is a better play style, and I am willing to engage in a discussion about why it is or isn't, and I am willing to admit I am wrong if presented with logical, thought out, passionate information to the contrary. 

Preference and opinion =/= there is no discussion to be had. See? This is the kind of indoctrination I was talking about previously lol.

Edited by DeatHTaX

no, I did not read your post yet because I wasn't replying to you lol if you feel it's that important I'll give it a look when I have time :)

and I feel no shame, I play hc servers pretty damn often, about a 50/50 split really. try not jumping to conclusions, ok? I have no issue with how you play, or which you think is more ideal lol.. if you think it's 1pp that's awesome! enjoy it man. if someone strictly plays 3pp then woohoo for them too! but I'm not on here trying to convince anyone that any play style is more ideal lol that's just silly. stop being so thin skinned over a non issue. who cares if people play 1pp or 3pp?

• Like 1

I have also been playing 3pp lately and enjoy it, but 1pp is a better play style......

You keep forgetting to add "in my opinion". ;)

You keep forgetting to add "in my opinion". ;)

Well when I say "The Colts are the best football team out there" I don't have to follow it up with "In my opinion" because logic and reason states that in the context, the subjectivity is inherently implied. 

no, I did not read your post yet because I wasn't replying to you lol if you feel it's that important I'll give it a look when I have time  :)

and I feel no shame, I play hc servers pretty damn often, about a 50/50 split really. try not jumping to conclusions, ok? I have no issue with how you play, or which you think is more ideal lol.. if you think it's 1pp that's awesome! enjoy it man. if someone strictly plays 3pp then woohoo for them too! but I'm not on here trying to convince anyone that any play style is more ideal lol that's just silly. stop being so thin skinned over a non issue. who cares if people play 1pp or 3pp?

Interesting your sudden change in a tone...

And what is with you people thinking that trying to convince someone of a point of view is silly? That's not my whole purpose and reason to be here, but I'm not going to pretend like I don't have something to say about it.

Another example of this whole idea of "trying to convince people of your point of view and get them on your side is WRONG! Have NO opinion and be indifferent! It's the easiest way"

I mean if you want to be indifferent and have no opinion on the matter, fine. But it's kind of ridiculous to call someone's attempts of having a logical discourse about something to attempt a persuasion of views "silly". I have a viewpoint I feel strongly about and will engage in discussion with someone about it to find the best solution, because through such discourse, we come to ultimate conclusions and better ourselves and our opinions, or come to learn new things.

Or sometimes it turns into a flame war...guilty of it on occasion, but that isn't going to dissuade me from trying.

Edited by DeatHTaX

Well when I say "The Colts are the best football team out there" I don't have to follow it up with "In my opinion" because logic and reason states that in the context, the subjectivity is inherently implied.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of Colts fans out there who actually believe that "the Colts are the best team out there". Not just as an opinion, but that they actually believe it as a fact.

In much the same way that a lot of hardcore players believe that 1PP is "the ideal playstyle". In their minds they think it is an absolute fact when actually it isn't.

I have also been playing 3pp lately and enjoy it, but 1pp is a better play style, and I am willing to engage in a discussion about why it is or isn't, and I am willing to admit I am wrong if presented with logical, thought out, passionate information to the contrary.

There is no right or wrong in this context. There is only personal opinion. If you would truly take an moment and look at the current situation objectively it appears that the majority of people enjoy 3PP mode and, therefore, it is the "better" playstyle for them.

I play both 1PP and 3PP mode but I find myself gravitating towards Regular servers. I don't do this because Regular is the "better" mode or more "balanced".

But this whole idea of people who say "Well I like it because it's balanced"....and then we explain how incredibly UNbalanced it is, you simply say that we're "elitists" and think you're "babycore". It's the straight go-to defense every single time. 

I don't believe I ever said one mode is more balanced than another mode. I simply said Regular mode isn't "unfair", its simply another game mode that has another player perspective. Play whatever you want to play. Just stop making topics every few days about how no one plays Hardcore mode, especially since there are always a few full Hardcore servers.

Seriously, my mind is blown. What some people will say to defend their position is hilarious.

My position is that both Regular and Hardcore modes are fun and I hate it when people label 3PP mode as "unfair" and "unbalanced". There is no defense necessary for my statement. If the mode was so unfair and unbalanced no one would play it. But people overwhelmingly choose it for whatever reason. And that is cool.

Edited by scriptfactory

Unfortunately, there are plenty of Colts fans out there who actually believe that "the Colts are the best team out there". Not just as an opinion, but that they actually believe it as a fact.

In much the same way that a lot of hardcore players believe that 1PP is "the ideal playstyle". In their minds they think it is an absolute fact when actually it isn't.

Okay well the Colts being the best football team out there is a fact for me at the beginning of every season until they either A: don't make it to the playoffs, or B: don't win the superbowl. And the best part about it is, once the season is over, and then the drafts pick up, it's another opportunity to believe it again, because it's a whole different team and a whole new season :) 

However, 1pp for me is definitely an opinion, but it is an opinion worth discussing and worth sharing with other people, because I want everyone to experience 1pp and feel about it the same way I do, because it's awesome, and makes the game awesome! my goal in this discussion is to win over as many people and refute the idea that 3pp is the "better" "ideal" "whatever you want to call it playstyle", because dangit I want to play with ALL OF YOU ON HARDCORE. 

Okay well the Colts being the best football team out there is a fact for me at the beginning of every season until they either A: don't make it to the playoffs, or B: don't win the superbowl. And the best part about it is, once the season is over, and then the drafts pick up, it's another opportunity to believe it again, because it's a whole different team and a whole new season :)

However, 1pp for me is definitely an opinion, but it is an opinion worth discussing and worth sharing with other people, because I want everyone to experience 1pp and feel about it the same way I do, because it's awesome, and makes the game awesome! my goal in this discussion is to win over as many people and refute the idea that 3pp is the "better" "ideal" "whatever you want to call it playstyle", because dangit I want to play with ALL OF YOU ON HARDCORE.

I don't, most of them are douche bags.

• Like 1

My position is that both Regular and Hardcore modes are fun and I hate it when people label 3PP mode as "unfair" and "unbalanced". There is no defense necessary for my statement. If the mode was so unfair and unbalanced no one would play it. But people overwhelmingly choose it for whatever reason. And that is cool.

We have given you multiple illustrations on how it is unbalanced, and you still refuse to see the logic in it.

seriously...you CAN NOT ARGUE with the fact that 3pp is unbalanced. IT IS. It just is. You're just making yourself look even more unable to be taken seriously by denying this simple fact. It's not a fact that is an ultimatum to the discussion of the differences of the perspectives, but vital in the understanding of it. There is an unbalance that exists in 3pp. That's all you have to understand. It's not hard lol..

edit:

I don't, most of them are douche bags.

yeeeah but you don't have to interact with most of them, per say. Just get some bodies in there to populate the HC servers

Edited by DeatHTaX

3pp is more to my liking

I agree with GRick 100% What he says is true IMO

However, I remember something from BI quite a while ago, where they explained an aspect of 3pp, and why 3pp was incorporated

As a human being, at the moment I'm sitting in front of my pc, I have a horizontal field of view that includes about 160° (maybe a bit more).

If I put my arms straight out sideways from my shoulders, and look in front of me, without turning my eyes I can - just about - see the fingertips of each hand at the same time when I move them.

Try it: so everything from far left to far right I can notice and react to in real life.

But in 1pp (in the game) I have a field of view considerably less than half of that. I see what is on the screen, but from side to side the screen does not stretch all the way across in front of me. Nowhere near. It only shows a small part of my real human field of view.

Similar for vertical view - but less, and it's usually less important.

So to deal with this  - for players who wanted to have more realistic situational awareness - BI included the option to pull the viewpoint back somewhat, so you see your avatar in front of you. Now your field of view corresponds better to what you can see if you are really in the field.

But it is only an approximate imitation of the human field of view, still - better than nothing ? I understand that this was one of their considerations.

This is why players say they feel claustrophobic in 1pp - they are right, they can't see a lot compared to real life.

OK - just wanted to explain that.

But - GrimeyR is still completely right about 1pp and balance. Really depends what kind of game you want to play. Could claim that these are 2 different games, and the playstyle is different for each (not better or worse).

xx

• Like 1

You are passionate, I'll give you that....lol. And I can respect that.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)